BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
They described using cording to do that on sheep farms in a book I read. I wondered if zip ties would achieve the same result.

banding is supposed to be the most painful for the animal.

We raised boatloads of Dairy Bulls that turned into Dairy Steers.  They were less than 3-6 months old,when we would "BAND" them.  After about 20 seconds of walking funny, they were ready to eat.  Was it great for them..................no.  Was in needed.....yes.

You can't have 30 bulls in the same field.  They are alot more tame when they are banded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All I can say is, I am NEVER going to THAT Ford Service Center.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/FordService.jpg

A new definition of checking  under the hood....
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All I can say is, I am NEVER going to THAT Ford Service Center.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/AJ_Dual/FordService.jpg

A new definition of checking  under the hood....

I'm a full service Tech. You need it done I will get it done!

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
In before Bcauzy?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

>hobby farming

>goats

relevant to my interests. So many questions.

For starters, whats the benefit to clipping their nuts? i know this is SOP for growing animals but i never bothered to ask why.

also, at the end it looked like you were gluing the goats ball bag, was this the case? some kind of contact glue?

I hand 4 births this spring 3 boys and 1 girl. I don't want the boys breeding their sister. I want to let them get to a year old before i eat them. So off with the balls.
At the end I am spraying Iodine . The bag is left open so it can drain fluid.

Was thinking breeding more goats is a good think, but you have a good reason not to

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Elastrator. This is what my old man used on calves. It made them jump pretty good when it snapped on their nutsack. Eyes bug out kind of like the herp derp dog.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j352/txkl37/626px-Elastrator_rings.jpg

This is what we used on all of our goats as well when we had them. They eventually just fall off and then you spray some antiseptic stuff on the area.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Man, you didn't wait for the anaesthetic to take effect!

You started cutting just 10 seconds after finishing the injection and every time you touched the little guy's balls
with a sharp object he raised hell!    Didn't you connect the two events and stop to think  "Gee, maybe I need
to give the anaesthetic a little more time to work?"

RTFM next time.   The instructions with the anaesthetic will certainly say that it takes at least a minute to work properly.

When I had a dislocated finger reset,  I got two shots, one in each side of the base of the finger, which hurt worse than
the dislocation itself.   It was a good three minutes before it completely took effect, but it sure as hell did take complete
effect by that time.  It's like my finger wasn't even there.   It could have been chewed off by a rabit pit bull at that point
and I wouldn't have felt anything.

Next time, save the goat some suffering and wait three minutes between the injection and the nutting process.

CJ

That was a tetanus antitoxin. There was no anesthetic given. I looked at the feed stores for some but I think good drugs for that are prescription only. And nothing I read or researched led me to believe the average farmer use's anesthetic for the procedure.

The Goat is up walking around and eating this morning.

You are not very good at this. I would not post videos of this online to prove the point.

Get some lidocaine, next time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
When you get faster at this operation,  maybe then it could be argued that the anaesthetic isn't needed,  because you're quick at it,

but even then, if someone's gonna cut my balls off,  I promise you, my desire for anaesthetic (to say nothing of retribution!) will not change whether

it takes a second or an hour to do it.  

Have a heart.  You're going to kill and eat it someday.   Could you at least give it some anaesthetic when you nut it?

BTW, you do need practice.  It'll get faster with practice.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Goat meat?? Wtf thats nasty. Glad i have standards
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#10]
The rubber  bands are easier.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Didja eat em?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't use anesthesia when you are working a lot of animals.  You would need a vet and that costs too much.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can you do that when they're younger?

The reason I ask is because when I used to stay on my uncle's farm back in the mid 70's I helped castrate a lot of little piggies.  He did them before they dropped when they were still really young.  I'd stand there holding both their right legs in my right hand, both left legs in my left hand, and upside down.  My uncle would use a simple straight razor to make a slit, and pop out the nuts and cut them off.  He also used wire cutters to trim a couple teeth, and cut the tail off too.

I usually castrate and burn the horns in the first few days.
It takes about 15 seconds to castrate them; you cut the bottom third of the scrotum off completely, then wrap the cord around a finger and just yank it out, repeating for the other side. It cuts down on bleeding and infections to pull it out rather than cut it.

ETA: No anesthetic. Scrip only and it's a lot harder to use than you think.

Why cut the goats? If you ever smelled a mature buck you would know. Rank doesn't tell half the story.

BTW, an intact male goat is a buck, not a billy. One that has been castrated is a wether.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By cmjohnson

You are not very good at this. I would not post videos of this online to prove the point.

How fast/good were you your first time?  

Also hook me up with whoever you know that gives out Lidocaine.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I've never done it but I've seen people who have plenty of experience at work.  15 seconds is about right once you've got a handle on it.

Check with your local vets.  Rules are slightly different for medication if it's for animals.

CJ

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Originally Posted By cmjohnson

How fast/good were you your first time?  

Also hook me up with whoever you know that gives out Lidocaine.

I don't think they're trying to take cheap shots at you....Just pointing out that this may not be the most humane method. If someone posted a video of a gutshot deer crawling around for 8 minutes, they'd get the same response. Obviously, the animal was in pain. Some pain is unavoidable, and in those cases, try to keep it to an absolute minimum. Save a few bucks at the cost of making the animal suffer? No thanks.

Sure, I've seen it done without anesthesia. But it was MUCH quicker. Get it over and done with.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This hobby farm/growing food stuff has taught me a lot. Very strange for me to take an animal open his sack, and fray the cord to his testicles.

But I know basically how now, and should be able to perfect my ball removal technique so I can be better and faster in the future.

It is very hard to grow your own food!

http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n511/thetusken/?action=view¤t=video-2012-06-16-15-20-36.mp4

I've seen a ton of Mexican cartel execution vids but that was harder to watch than any of that stuff.  Good lord, it hollers just like a person.  Couldn't you at least sedate it or something??
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah.  If you won't use anaesthesia,  then at least make it quick.    It's the right thing to do.

When doing research on this topic, I learned that there's a method of castration that involves clamping the cord in a grip that goes in a cordless drill,

and then you spin the nut until it falls off.

That totally redefines "getting your nuts in a twist".

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
When doing research on this topic, I learned that there's a method of castration that involves clamping the cord in a grip that goes in a cordless drill,

I saw that, when looking for a photo of a "burdizzo" to show a buddy. Mother of god....
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#20]
What's the point of slowly fraying the cord? Why not just slice it quickly? And I agree, if you only have a few animals or less use something to help them not feel so much pain or do it faster.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What's the point of slowly fraying the cord? Why not just slice it quickly? And I agree, if you only have a few animals or less use something to help them not feel so much pain or do it faster.

Fraying helps the blood vessel clot better. A clean cut they would bleed to death.

I know two ranchers one here in Texas and one in Colorado. Between the two of them They have castrated every kind of farm animal and I talked to both at length about this. They never used anesthetic for any of them even Horses.

What I did may not be normal to y'all but it is for people who castrate live stock. The Goat is out roaming and eating in the pasture as I type. Sure it hurt. Wait till I cut his throat to eat him he's gonna be real pissed for about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#22]
It's like once removed it was a different goat=
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah.  If you won't use anaesthesia,  then at least make it quick.    It's the right thing to do.

That totally redefines "getting your nuts in a twist".

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Only GD would think think to use painkillers on goats.

Banding is the way to go.  Grandad used to burn them off with a hot knife. Cut and cauterize at the same time, a great litttle timesaver.

I'm not going to run 400 goats thru surgery one at a time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top