Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Screw the brass.  I would gladly take what gets put in the amnesty boxes here in a year over brass.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe people are still posting "there goes the brass".  This is really very simple, has been explained, both with profanity and without.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now, for those not familiar with the demil procedures and requirements who have not figured out why they treat brass sales differently between the two types, I will explain. When you buy brass, you have to fill out an End Use Certificate stating you are a legal buyer, you will not export, etc etc because brass is indeed a demil B item. However, if brass gets dumped into a scrap bin with all sorts of other scrap metal, the buyer can get it out of that scrap bin later and they have not filled out an EUC for that brass. Therefore, to prevent fired brass from being sold without a proper EUC, they are stating that brass sold ON A SCRAP VENTURE CONTRACT must be demilled, because otehrwise a demil B item would be sold without a proper EUC.

See what is different?

Get it yet?

If anything, this change may be a good thing for us. It may drive more DRMO locations to sell scrap brass via normal auction instead of dumping it into the scrap bins. Right now if it is easier and less paperwork to dump the once fired brass in the scrap bin instead of segregating it and auctioning it, often the local DRMO employees will do just that- the easy thing.

Seems they don't.  This will pop up every other day for the next three months.  Zero reading comprehension. In order to increase the rate at which this is re-posted, it should be tacked and added to the FAQ.

The worst part is that we are told Mr. Thanegroom is hip-deep in this business and an expert on these things.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 5:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Recently it has been determined

Let me guess.....sometime after 1-20-09?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:02:06 AM EDT
[#6]
After reading this thread, I am no longer surprised people send money to Desmond in Nigeria.  

This whole thread was based on an email that gave no reference to any source document, was referring to one very specific segment of surplus sales totally unrelated to fired munitions sales and posted by somebody we are told knows all about the business.

Several people posted in a calm and rational manner the real scoop, and people still are running around thinking the end has come for once-fired brass.  Amazing.

I have to just walk away from this stupidity.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recently it has been determined

Let me guess.....sometime after 1-20-09?

Damn.  Private Tromatic spent plenty of time crushing ammunition components destined for scrap metal sales starting in 1981.  

Have you read any of this thread, other than the OP?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Black powder is starting to look better and and better for plinking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Talked to a main supplier of once fired brass. That person confirms the halt on sales without mutilation.
That person also says to call them in a week to find out what will be happening.

This is not a peeon, this is from an owner of the company.

EDIT

Talked to the owner of another big player in the oncefired brass game and they say it's a bunch of BS. Nothing will change untill they get confirmation direct from the government. They also say they have heard this kinda thing before several times.

Your guess is as good as mine at this point.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What's bad is not being able to say "and so it begins" due to having said that already a couple of months ago.

And so it continues
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
OP here.....

I sent this email at 9AM PST  3/13/09....  To confirm what this email means in relation to a specific lot.

Hello,

Does this mean that ALL fired brass ammunition cases are to be destroyed?

Do current lots require destruction? ... like this one:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2263403&convertTo=USD

Thank you,
Thane Grooms

I would rather have it in writing and not a phone conversation.  So, this could take a while.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:51:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of confusion, noise and panic here.  Will somebody please interpret it for me:

Is the Military demanding that the brass be mutilated, or not?

God damn it. Not the mil, the DLA and supply chain, and a few CFR's IIRC.

Yes, if the 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, .50 cal, 20mm, 30mm, 40mm and the rest is being sold as SCRAP METAL

If it is going to be sold as what it is, fired ammunition components through DRMO/DRMS NO!

That's it, the end, the facts.  Unless somebody produces a document that says all once fired brass is now considered scrap metal and must be demilled as such, nothing has changed. Items sold as scrap metal have always had some sort of mutilation requirement.

The one important part of that email that nobody bothered to think about was the two letters "SV".  End of panic.

you can't fix stupid...I'm not even ex .mil and I understand what is being said. It's a matter of semantics... /endthread
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:15:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Georgia Arms has a big statement on their page that says:

Attention!!

Due to new government regulations concerning the purchasing of surplus brass, we are removing sales of all 223 and all 308 until further notice. Below is a copy of the email we recieved from Goverment Liqudiations.

"Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings.  The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction.  Mutilation of the property can be done at the DRMO, if permitted by the Government, or it may be mutilated at a site chosen by the buyer.  Mutilation means that the property will be destroyed to the extent prevents its reuse or reconstruction.  DOD Surplus personnel will determine when property has been sufficiently mutilated to meet the requirements of the Government.  "

This is a huge waste of taxpayer's money. The value of these products is reduced by 80% by going from a recycled product to a scrap product.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OP here.....

I sent this email at 9AM PST  3/13/09....  To confirm what this email means in relation to a specific lot.

Hello,

Does this mean that ALL fired brass ammunition cases are to be destroyed?

Do current lots require destruction? ... like this one:

Thank you,
Thane Grooms

I would rather have it in writing and not a phone conversation.  So, this could take a while.

You are still fucking it up. You emailed the person who started this whole cluster, correct?  Did you ask him if he meant what he wrote, referring to specifically, once again, SV program?  I look forward to you confusing the issue further.

How hard is this.  Yet again, "Scrap Venture" scrap-metal sales is a different program/procedure/process than the the one that allows a business like Sportsmans Guide to drive up to Yakima, hook up to a trailer full of once-fired brass and lug it back to Oregon for processing and sale as loaded ammo or brass, or the massive lots of once-fired brass sold by DRMS to whoever it is that gets it into the hands of people like GIBrass.

What part of this do you not understand?  I'm also writing this in crayon on my screen.  Can you see it?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
........... You emailed the person who started this whole cluster, correct?  

No I did not.

Just chill out for a bit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Attention!!

Due to new government regulations concerning the purchasing of surplus brass, we are removing sales of all 223 and all 308 until further notice. Below is a copy of the email we recieved from Goverment Liqudiations.

"Effective immediately DOD Surplus, LLC, will be implementing new requirements for mutilation of fired shell casings.  The new DRMS requirement calls for DOD Surplus personnel to witness the mutilation of the property and sign the Certificate of Destruction.  Mutilation of the property can be done at the DRMO, if permitted by the Government, or it may be mutilated at a site chosen by the buyer.  Mutilation means that the property will be destroyed to the extent prevents its reuse or reconstruction.  DOD Surplus personnel will determine when property has been sufficiently mutilated to meet the requirements of the Government.  "

This is a huge waste of taxpayer's money. The value of these products is reduced by 80% by going from a recycled product to a scrap product.

Again, another fucking email WITHOUT an actual source regulation, from the same shithead.  

Fuck this thread and the tards it contains.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]
For the doubters check out this website. It says that the scrap venture sale was won by Liquidity services AKA Government liquidation. If the email is correct all scrap ventures sales thru gov liquidation must demil all brass. government liquidation sell small caliber brass as scrap metal. That would end the all current auctions and sales that everyone has posted.

No offense to the skeptics but I think they are behind the times as to current procedures of scrap sales.

YMMV

http://www.drms.dla.mil/sales/scrap/scrap_venture/scrap_venture.html

edit:
Check out the link at the top of the above page for scrap venture website link. It leads directly to www.govliquidation.com

I do believe that Thane Grooms is 100% correct
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Look pal, all I did was post what was on their site.  Relax!  
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey Sparkey 75, I think Tromatic is the one that is correct. He stated earlier that "Scrap Ventures" surplus brass is treated differently than the procedures where once fired brass is usually sold. Tromatic said that Scrap Ventures sales have required mutilating for a while already, but other sales procedures DO NOT.

Sparkey, in your post you specifically mention "Scrap Ventures" sales........I do not think Srap Ventures rules are what concern us. That is my understanding.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#20]
The worst part of this is how deep the "conspiracy" goes if they have thought all the way through to requiring once fired brass to be demiled.

It is scary!
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hey Sparkey 75, I think Tromatic is the one that is correct. He stated earlier that "Scrap Ventures" surplus brass is treated differently than the procedures where once fired brass is usually sold. Tromatic said that Scrap Ventures sales have required mutilating for a while already, but other sales procedures DO NOT.

Sparkey, in your post you specifically mention "Scrap Ventures" sales........I do not think Srap Ventures rules are what concern us. That is my understanding.

This is true.  But if you watch what actually happens between GL and SV sales they are completely commingled and any inventory can be sent from one side to the other.

All of the once fired brass that I see with my own two eyes is actually located at the SV facility here at Ft Lewis.  All they have to do is say once fired brass is now scrap.

The letter states at the outset that DLA has "changed" something.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:14:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well The way I read the DRMS website is that all scrap metal is sold via scrap ventures. It was bid out in 1994 and Liquidity Services, inc. (which is Government liquidation look at the bottom of the website) won the 7 year contract which could be renewed for up to 10 more years. All the scrap metal sold on www.govliquidation.com is sold via the DRMS scrap venture sale program.

Furthermore if you look at the FAQs on the DRMS page it states that 1994 all existing contracts of scrap ventures would be terminated in 30 days based on liquidity services winning the scrap metal auction.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true.  But if you watch what actually happens between GL and SV sales they are completely commingled and any inventory can be sent from one side to the other.

All of the once fired brass that I see with my own two eyes is actually located at the SV facility here at Ft Lewis.  All they have to do is say once fired brass is now scrap.

Have you seen any SV sales of brass that haven't gone through GL?

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Any news yet?  Has anyone talked first hand to anyone over the shit head who wrote the email?  And who is this person?  Who sent down the order for him to write this edict?  We need answers and quick!  I want them to STOP mutilating any of the brass not go the other way!
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The only way to tell weather a lot is GL or SV is to ask.  They are all sold throught the GL site.  They have a different range of "sale numbers"... but that has been changing over the last few months.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attention!!

Again, another fucking email WITHOUT an actual source regulation, from the same shithead.  

Fuck this thread and the tards it contains.

You seem easy to upset.

While you may be right, you may also be wrong.

Pardon me if I don't stake the future of MY business on what YOU have to say. After all, what credentials do you have? No disrespect, but as far as I am concerned you are as invalid as the email that was sent out without a source.

Give me hard evidence that I can trace, and I will believe you have something to say.

So feel free to ramble like a lunatic, all you want.

That said. I will keep doing what I have been doing and bide my time and see how things turn out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
After reading this thread, I am no longer surprised people send money to Desmond in Nigeria.  

QFTW!

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are asking the wrong question.

The question is -does most once fired small arms brass get sold via SV?

And the answer is no. And this regulation, as I read it, makes it even less likely to be.

Did you look at the DRMS link I posted?

When and where is the last time you have seen brass sold outside of GL? I am not trying to be idiot, I am an interested person.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way to tell weather a lot is GL or SV is to ask.  They are all sold throught the GL site.  They have a different range of "sale numbers"... but that has been changing over the last few months.

It is very easy to see what is a SV sale and what is not if you know what you are looking at.

This is a SV sale.. Note that this sale is a TERM SALE for all the brass produced over a six month period. Note it requires mutilation as most SCRAP sales do, SV or not..... and it even excludes fired/expended brass from the terms of the contract.

This is not a SV sale. Note it is for a one time purchase of once fired brass, and the word SCRAP is not found anywhere in the description, because once fired brass is not considered or treated as scrap in most cases.

Okay I got where you are coming from, I guess one more question is how do you know that the once fired brass you listed is not coming through the DRMS  SV program?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Source? Someone forgot to tell these guys.

LOT (3420) APPROX FIRED BRASS, (8)BARRELS (PLASTIC AND METAL), ON(4)PALLETS, (4) BARRELS OF 7. 62 APPROX 1700 LBS, (4) BARRELS OF 5. 56 APPROX 1720 LBS, WEIGHT OF PALLETS AND BARRELS ARE INCLUDED IN TOTAL WEIGHT, NO MUTILATION REQUIRED, PREVIEW AND LOAD OUT BY APPOINTMENT.

so who's in for a group buy? if my math's correct that's over 140,000 pieces of brass if you get just the 5.56
at the current bid that's like $1 per 1000

At least somebodys thinking!

Don't forget to figure in the unusables from blanks and SAW usage.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#35]
ok guys forgive my ignorance but what 's this actually mean?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#36]
According to Ft. Lewis DRMS/DRMO 11:15AM PST:

Due to DRMO/DRMS letting parts and material purchased with/for F-14 money out the door, a moratorium has been placed on the sale of unwanted .gov junk by DLA and apparently some congress-rats. This includes fired ammunition components all as part of government over-reaction.  The legal folks are trying to determine a way out, as they can not even sell to LEO's for their use.

If it can be mutilated and sold as scrap, they are trying to show there is no reason not to sell it as a fired ammo component.

The intent is to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible, as it is a money maker for the .gov.

Scrap metal is still scrap metal, and needs to be mutilated.  Somewhere is a gargantuan mound of brass awaiting a decision.

I'll eat crow for getting so pissed off and apologize to everyone for being rude, but there seems to be no reason to panic yet about no more brass.  Of course, I'm assuming that they make the right decision in the end.  None if this is in writing as a directive.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Obama tentacles are getting into everything

[Sarcastic_Response]Yes, but please remember that Ron Paul is a kook and people who believe in the following the Constitution are just a bunch of right wing weirdo's who are out of touch with 21st Century American reality. We must put away our old love for the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution and, instead, begin to fully embrace "Hope and Change™ ".[/Sarcastic_Response]

I'm not gonna try to turn this into a ron paul hijack and I didn't agree with all of Ron's positions. I will, however, say this much about the man: For all of Ron's faults and shortcomings, one thing is clear. He would never piss on our 2nd Amendment rights and he has a career of congressional votes to prove it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#39]
God DAMMIT.........we need to get this thing on the brass sales figured out.......once and for all. I just recently made the point that the once fired brass will still be available. So a few minutes ago I called Hunter's Shack Ammuntion, who do a lot of remanufactured ammo.

The guy I talked to at Hunter's Shack said that to his knowledge, the requirement for ALL once fiired brass to be mutilated is in fact TRUE.......and he feells that the new rule will push empty brass prices up dramatically!!!!

Is there any way to find out the real truth to this SHIT.......this is really starting to bug the hell out of me.

If it is true that G.I. brass is no longer available because of some bullshit regulation change.......then we need to get on the horn to our Congressman and U.S. Senator ASAP and demand this be CHANGED immediately. Also people, that are NRA members need to call the NRA-ILA and get the NRA envolved in this!!!!!

We can get this fixed if we work together on it. Let's make our elected representatives aware of the MILLIONS of dollars that will be lost if once fired brass is no longer available for reloading.

Let's HIT this subject.......right now!!!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ok guys forgive my ignorance but what 's this actually mean?

Really?
I dont personally know Thane but have dealt with him before, so any negative comments really should be kept to yourself.  His future income could be devistated if this actually turns out to mean what I think it means.  It would not surprise me though.  Take a key componet away from the reloaders, well is another step to making it more and more difficult for firearm owners.  Lets face it control the ammo and you pretty much make a gun worthless.

ETA, I guess I should have taken my dump truck over to the auction last year and bought 40,000# of brass like me and a few friends talked aout
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
According to Ft. Lewis DRMS/DRMO 11:15AM PST:

Due to DRMO/DRMS letting parts and material purchased with/for F-14 money out the door, a moratorium has been placed on the sale of unwanted .gov junk by DLA and apparently some congress-rats. This includes fired ammunition components all as part of government over-reaction.  The legal folks are trying to determine a way out, as they can not even sell to LEO's for their use.

If it can be mutilated and sold as scrap, they are trying to show there is no reason not to sell it as a fired ammo component.

The intent is to get this issue resolved as quickly as possible, as it is a money maker for the .gov.

Scrap metal is still scrap metal, and needs to be mutilated.  Somewhere is a gargantuan mound of brass awaiting a decision.

I'll eat crow for getting so pissed off and apologize to everyone for being rude, but there seems to be no reason to panic yet about no more brass.  Of course, I'm assuming that they make the right decision in the end.  None if this is in writing as a directive.

Dont hold your breath for the "right" descision, it is the .gov after all
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Jesus Christ, who do they hire to write this shit? Is clear, effective communication outlawed, or what?

How about: "Official Notice: We're no longer selling you once fired brass, unless it's been mutilated first."

EDIT: "This notice will serve as official notification..."

Are they paid by the letter?

Lawyers
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#43]
I just got off the phone with SV and GL with people I know very well.  As of yesterday ALL brass is only to be sold as scrap and as such, must be destroyed. It will no longer require an EUC, so that scrap buyers can pick it up immediately and submit the destruction certificate.  Sounds like a move to help the metals buyers in the volitile markets.

In the SV managers words... "The reloaders are screwed."

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with SV and GL with people I know very well.  As of yesterday ALL brass is only to be sold as scrap and as such, must be destroyed. It will no longer require an EUC, so that scrap buyers can pick it up immediately and submit the destuction certificate.  Sounds like a move to help the metals buyers in the volitile markets.

In th SV managers words... "The reloaders are screwed."

So if you know a licensed scrap dealer, would it be possible to get some through him (for personal use) before he destroys it, or is it destroyed prior to them picking it up?
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with SV and GL with people I know very well.  As of yesterday ALL brass is only to be sold as scrap and as such, must be destroyed. It will no longer require an EUC, so that scrap buyers can pick it up immediately and submit the destuction certificate.  Sounds like a move to help the metals buyers in the volitile markets.

In th SV managers words... "The reloaders are screwed."

So if you know a licensed scrap dealer, would it be possible to get some through him (for personal use) before he destroys it, or is it destroyed prior to them picking it up?

No way.  Breaching the terms of sale is pretty serious business and would nuke his ability to buy, or worse.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#46]
The unnecessary back biting occurring in this thread is, for lack of a better term, disturbing to "watch".  

As far as the subject at hand, I definitely want more facts and info.

Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HSM, Black Hills and others that reload on a large scale are S.O.L.  

I can feel for HSM, but Black Hills charges enough for their ammo that you shouldn't have to settle for a once fired case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just got off the phone with SV and GL with people I know very well.  As of yesterday ALL brass is only to be sold as scrap and as such, must be destroyed. It will no longer require an EUC, so that scrap buyers can pick it up immediately and submit the destruction certificate.  Sounds like a move to help the metals buyers in the volitile markets.

In the SV managers words... "The reloaders are screwed."

gnaaaaaaahhh
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Tag for clarification.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Come on guys...........lets do something about this........I really believe we can get this policy changed (made by some government rat-pussy) if we make a big stink about it. We need to stress the potential dollar loss if brass cases are destroyed before sale. Let Congress know that we care about this huge money loss ( and the rights of American citizens).
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top