[#2]
Oroville Spillway Flyover September 18, 2017
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of the bridges over the lake were very high bridges across little streams way below that had't yet got to the lake. Huge martian like valleys completely barren.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody know the lowest the lake got during the drought years?  
A lot of the bridges over the lake were very high bridges across little streams way below that had't yet got to the lake. Huge martian like valleys completely barren.  
You'll know Oroville is low when people start posting photos and videos of the old railroad tunnels covered by the lake becoming visible again.  This photo is from the peak of the drought in 2014.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Amazing what you can do with lots and lots of taxpayer money!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really enjoy seeing construction guys doing just that, large scale construction.  Infrastructure projects like this are awesome, not only in scope, but just what can be done with enough resources and ingenuity.
Amazing what you can do with lots and lots of taxpayer money!
Like try to build bullet trains?  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It looks like preparing the RCC is the bottleneck.  It was going faster than I expected at first, but now, even with the increasingly smaller area, it's going at the speed I originally figured it would go, which is about 1/4 speed of how it started.   Used to be full dump trucks of RCC were in line waiting to dump, and there were 3 bulldozers, now it just seems to be going 1 truck at a time with 1 bulldozer and 2 steamrollers.  

I've got no clue if they are slowing down so everything comes together with perfect timing at the end, or if they are running out of suitable on site aggregate for the RCC.   Hopefully we'll hear from Juan on those details.   It seams they are planning on spraying the shotcrete or epoxy concrete on the sidewalls in pretty much one go, the way they've left the horizontal scaffolding up after they've bolted the mesh to the RCC wall.   Somebody with more concrete work knowledge may want to correct my assumptions here.

They're putting a lot into stabilizing the RCC walls, which will be torn out in the spring, I'm guessing with all the anchor bolts they used as well.
View Quote
I also thought they were running out of aggregate but the piles have gotten much much bigger in the last week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I wonder why we haven't seen any good dive videos of the towns that were flooded from filling as well.  A couple should be shallow enough to go see, as long as they don't get anything between them and the surface.   There's several old houses and Old Forts flooded by the Oahe Dam filling that are amazing dives to go and see, most dams have some hidden nuggets that are preserved like that.    My brother got an old cannon from a Fort that was going to be overfilled with mud from nearby construction.  It's not a large one (2 lber?), but he built a mount for it and displays it along with pictures of the old fort.
View Quote
Neat!
Can you get a few pics?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been in this thread since the very beginning, and I'm still awed by the size and scope of it all.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Oroville Update 20 Sept. 40 days to go...

Juan update

So due to the size of the area they are trying to raise they are only going up on average 1 foot per 12 hour shift.  As they get closer to the top the area needed to be lifted will decrease and they will be able to lift more per shift.

30% of the structural concrete is in place.

Hardened RCC (which will be replaced next year with structural concrete) won't get put in place until all of the base RCC is put in place.

50% of the plunge pool is filled (75 feet to go)
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
We need to get Juan to ask how many shop vacs are on site.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Wow, those two pics really show the scale of this project.  The first with the heavy equipment dwarfed by the open rock face, then the second showing that open portion is just a small section of the entire project.

I do realize there is probably some perspective fuckery going on also, but still...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wow, those two pics really show the scale of this project.  The first with the heavy equipment dwarfed by the open rock face, then the second showing that open portion is just a small section of the entire project.

I do realize there is probably some perspective fuckery going on also, but still...
View Quote
Juan said he is going to try to compare same camera angles week to week to compare the work completed.  I am looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been in this thread since the very beginning, and I'm still awed by the size and scope of it all.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Oroville Spillway Update September 19, 2017
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jPhdsUpz4

Juan update

So due to the size of the area they are trying to raise they are only going up on average 1 foot per 12 hour shift.  As they get closer to the top the area needed to be lifted will decrease and they will be able to lift more per shift.

30% of the structural concrete is in place.

Hardened RCC (which will be replaced next year with structural concrete) won't get put in place until all of the base RCC is put in place.

50% of the plunge pool is filled (75 feet to go)
View Quote
He has done such a good job of reporting on this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Oroville Spillway Update September 21, 2017
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Just started Part 4

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Oroville Spillway Flyover September 22, 2017
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#22]
During Juans' last update, he mentioned that were taking down the shoe-fly connection above the upper spillway today. Should be interesting to see that as it happens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]
...shoo-fly...
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...shoo-fly...
View Quote
Shoo fly don't bother me
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen it spelled both ways, didn't know which one was correct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe he said it was coming down Friday, so it should be down already. Looking at the top of the spillway camera it looks like it is.

ETA: Are they going to fill the trench at the top of the bottom of the RCC with Hardened RCC?
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I believe he said it was coming down Friday, so it should be down already. Looking at the top of the spillway camera it looks like it is.
View Quote
there were lines above the spillway this morning, so it looks like they got to it today.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

ETA: Are they going to fill the trench at the top of the bottom of the RCC with Hardened RCC?
View Quote
As I understand it No.  The trenches are to provide a jump for the water to break some of its momentum at the joints.

The hardened RCC goes over the whole surface of the RCC I believe. 
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is spelled both ways on different Lineman's Slang Dictionary and industry news (shoe).  The Official Lists show shoe-fly, but the news reporters on other ones spell it shoo-fly.  Though one list from a different electric supply company did have it as shoo-fly. Example, some funny ones in there

Clearly, it's more of verbal, but I'd like to know the origins of the term.

Maybe we can get Juan Brown to look it up for us.  
View Quote
No need to .  Shoo-fly is an old railroad term for a bypass track built to route trains around an accident site or a construction site.  This is an example of a shoo fly built around a tunnel that was being removed for increased clearance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#31]
They are literally filling that giant ass crater with nothing but concrete.   That is a lot of concrete.  Should the surface erode this time, it's going to take a long time for the water to hack that away.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Shoo fly don't bother me
View Quote
FINALLY got that dam song out of my head. Even using a circular saw and watching NASCAR yesterday didn't quite kill it!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

FINALLY got that dam song out of my head. Even using a circular saw and watching NASCAR yesterday didn't quite kill it!
View Quote
Ha
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Oroville Spillway Flyover September 25, 2017
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

With that dredging going on the entire time the rebuild has been in progress, that river bottom has to be looking like the grand canyon by now.  Or, at least, a deep quarry where the spillway waters hit, so it has room to do it's turbulence thing and slow down instead of hitting opposite bank and eroding downriver.

They are doing this one right, combining everything we've learned from this and other dams/spillways, and applying to to make it pretty idiot proof.    As long as they do dredge it every time there's much sediment that comes over, and they inspect the entire new spillway in spring and fall.  That's not going to fail again.

Now, about Shasta...  
View Quote
Probably getting every flake of gold they can.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Probably getting every flake of gold they can.  
View Quote
THIS

I'm betting somebody realized what a literal gold mine they had presented to them and that every bit of soil that has been moved gets checked for gold content.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sitting here looking at all the pictures, reading the comments, and of course I start to think. I apologize in advance for that.

Since all of this construction is being done on bedrock which I assume is pretty solid stuff, what happens to the whole system if earthquake or even just some tremors shake the area? Wouldn't it be better to have some give in the system? I had the same question when I saw some recent adverts for jacking-up sagging foundations of houses. Adverts states they anchor it to bedrock. That's fine but if you get a jolt won't that get transmitted directly to the foundation and the house?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Oroville Update 27 Sept plus C-130's to Puerto Rico
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Oroville Spillway Update September 26, 2017
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#44]
A look back, for those that haven't followed as closely as me.
Updated Timeline of the Oroville Dam
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can always launch into a chorus of "Jimmy Crack Corn" and I don't care...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Oroville Spillway Update September 28, 2017
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Their soundtracks are getting better...

I wonder if that's the epoxy based shotcrete they are putting on the RCC walls, or if that's standard shotcrete that will be covered with the tougher stuff later?  
View Quote
I get the impression that it's the stronger stuff intended to protect the RCC walls for this wet season and then replaced next year.
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top