Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 298
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think so, the e spillway channel carved more upstream.  This was yesterday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268039/IMG-20170212-113025-145224.jpg

Water has moved away from the tower, and looks like bedrock in between.  

Thursday's flow could be a different story though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So that transmission tower at riverside where the espillway dumps in...disappeared overnight?

I don't think so, the e spillway channel carved more upstream.  This was yesterday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268039/IMG-20170212-113025-145224.jpg

Water has moved away from the tower, and looks like bedrock in between.  

Thursday's flow could be a different story though.

Thanks good pic looks like it's anchored into the rock pretty well water doing what water does following the path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We need to get ProFryan a gift card to In-N-Out Burger...anyone in?
View Quote

Talk to Stryker
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So that transmission tower at riverside where the espillway dumps in...disappeared overnight?  
View Quote

It doesn't look like it washed away, so there may be another explanation.

Since the flow moved away from that tower late yesterday it may have been safe enough at daybreak for a crew to go cut it loose and have a chopper fly it out.  I understand that was planned for yesterday but they ran out of time before the Espillway started flowing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
we can put the rebar questions to rest

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4eh4HiUMAEuiY7.jpg
View Quote

Any idea where that image was taken?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like it was on the spillway after the initial blowout took place.  Probably taken when that photo of the guys looking around in the hole was taken Wednesday or Thursday.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since the flow moved away from that tower late yesterday it may have been safe enough at daybreak for a crew to go cut it loose and have a chopper fly it out.  I understand that was planned for yesterday but they ran out of time before the Espillway started flowing.
View Quote

That would make sense...
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
From yesterday

Check out the height of the soil cliff on the right side of the main spillway, makes sense why they lowered the flow.  When that lets go it's gonna be a mess.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That would make sense...
View Quote
why are you thinking it's gone?  We don't have any morning pictures of the area showing it being there or not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:46:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm going a little slower today. I'll be out there in ~2 hours.

Yes that was me

I'm going to remember my hat today! I was in such a hurry to see the actual over topping yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the guy doing the live feed posted yesterday (pseudojd) the OP of this thread? If so, get back out there!

Seriously, I enjoyed whomever was doing the live broadcast.

I'm going a little slower today. I'll be out there in ~2 hours.

Yes that was me

I'm going to remember my hat today! I was in such a hurry to see the actual over topping yesterday.

Thats awesome! Dont forget back up battery.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From yesterday

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268039/IMG-20170212-113914-145229.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/268039/IMG-20170212-114140-145230.jpg

Check out the height of the soil cliff on the right side of the main spillway, makes sense why they lowered the flow.  When that lets go it's gonna be a mess.
View Quote

The flow out of the bottom of the main spillway is impressive.
Even with a what, couple hundred foot section missing that water still has enough energy in it to cross that gap and flow out the bottom.
Nature is gonna do what it wants.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is no joke. I read about a few things on here and two days later it makes the news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously ProFryan, Thank you for your time, money and effort for keeping us abreast on the dam. I've been following along since the beginning and your hard work made this the best thread for natural disasters.
Proof again that ARFCOM is first with the news and often first on the scene.

This is no joke. I read about a few things on here and two days later it makes the news.

And for this I am eternally grateful.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#14]
First time I have EVER read all 76 pages of a thread.  AND I STILL WANT MORE!!!   Hats off to OP.  You done good son.  Keep it up.  ARFCOM News is the BEST news!  
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
its the capillary action that always gets ya.
View Quote
after watching Teton and others I agree
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there a link to a press source with the notice that no one can get within viewing range?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
First time I have EVER read all 76 pages of a thread.  AND I STILL WANT MORE!!!   Hats off to OP.  You done good son.  Keep it up.  ARFCOM News is the BEST news!  
View Quote

Trucks loaded, grabbing food.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What exactly is the justification for withholding disaster assistance from your own countrymen for political reasons in the first place?
View Quote

Because your leaders won't bend the knee.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

My raging disaster erection has lasted more than four hours.  It's medically imperative that you hurry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, that's one way to get a few million illegals to move back home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you mean that California will have the worst harvest in 55 years?

Well, that's one way to get a few million illegals to move back home.
apply for welfare
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Some drawings of the dam, and spillway cross sections.  Sorry for the low res, couldn't find better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
why are you thinking it's gone?  We don't have any morning pictures of the area showing it being there or not.
View Quote

Thought I had seen a current picture (taken this am around 8AM) looking downhill at the flow from e-spillway...apparently
it wasn't but the tower wasn't readily visible in the pic I saw...have to wait on new pics...hopefully there will be some soon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#27]
if DWR is flying drones and wants to prohibit private drones then they should release footage. Often.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Inflow is down to 41k, the emergency spillway will be dry by tomorrow, if not late today.

Seems it did its job well.

I'm looking forward to the before/after pictures when both spillways are dry.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#29]
So, it sound like its stabilized, at least for the moment?
Until the next rain storm and/or heat wave (snow melt runoff)
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#30]
inflow dropped way down from 52637 to 40999
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
inflow dropped way down from 52637 to 40999
View Quote

Good.
Now Trump can tell Moonbeam to get fucked, and has hard data to support it
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Auxiliary is probably a better term actually.  People over-react to words like 'emergency'.   Emergency tends to bring images of out of control or chaos to mind.

This spillway is really an overflow spillway to supplement the primary spillway in case the primary can't keep up - for whatever reason.  Could be broken or damaged gates, could be too much inflow.   This spillway is a safety valve essentially to prevent water from topping the dam itself.   That would be an emergency.

Kind of had the same thing on the space shuttle engines.  When the original engines were spec'd out there was a 100% or Rated Power level (RPL), 104% pl. and 109% Emergency Power level (EPL). As missions grew heavier the 109% power level began to be part of the mission profile - but using words like Emergency Power level had really bad feelz.  So EPL became Full Power level (FPL)
View Quote

The lake overflowing is an emergency. DWP is fucking with words.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Only from the OP, who's been all over that area on a 4 wheeler.    Hoofing it in a long ways seems to be the plan now.

ProFryan correct me if that's wrong, and remember plenty of beer and batteries.  Maybe toss in a sammich too.   Just lots of batteries, you can fit two deep cycle spiracell's in a backpack, but then you wouldn't have room for beer.  I'm sure you'll work it out.
View Quote

Lol, call OPD and ask 'where can i view it from'

You cant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because your leaders won't bend the knee.
View Quote

Because they said before they didn't need it....
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Sucks for the 1% of normal folks in Cali.  

With all of the leftist wacko policies in CA, perhaps it will be Mother Nature herself to make Lutherville and Otisburg.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Crater Lake has always creeped the heck out of me...If you got to close to the edge of the crater, there was nothing to stop the 1000' wild toad ride down to the water...as you stood on slippery volcanic rock...
View Quote

Last time I was up there my step brother and I went beyond the fence, I stayed about 6 feet back from the cliff edge, he was sitting on it with his legs hanging off.    Crazy bastard.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

If my math is correct, and it most likely isn't, it appears they can drop the lake by 5 feet per day at the 55k release rate, once the inflow drops to  non-precipitation rates. If the next precipitation event isn't until Thursday, they should be able to get at least a little breathing room. With all of the potential for rain in the coming months, I'd bet they are going to do everything possible to get rid of water.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
OP try to get some good video of what they are flying for UAV's to survey damage.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Still no pics and video from this morning?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't send any of my people to that location for the near future.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

either the sensors need calibration, or they are not able to see the water soaking into the dam from the wet dirt or something
View Quote

Or time lag between infall / outfall or wind change or position of the moon (not kidding).
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The lake overflowing is an emergency. DWP is fucking with words.
View Quote

I don't think so, not really. The flows never got near the upper limits of the design envelope of the system, the only reason they had to use the e-spill is because the primary spillway was damaged. Other than preserving the assets of the dam, and the fish hatcheries, this seems to be a non-event so far.

Using the term emergency about a dam like this, in a situation like this, has risks associated with it too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Now we can worry that they will drop the reservoir too low to handle future storms that don't materialize, and the drought can be saved!

#savethedrought
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

@wasted-life

CA banned all suction dredging last year.  So that is out.

But I bet there was some great gold in that bed rock!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So with a name like Oroville, and the erosion taking place, a bit of prospecting might be profitable in a few months.

If that is still legal in Ca.

@wasted-life

CA banned all suction dredging last year.  So that is out.

But I bet there was some great gold in that bed rock!!

Dredging has been out since Arnold signed it in. It went to court and it's never coming back. I have dredged up stream from the oroville dam 20 years ago.  I have a keene 4 inch dredge with a 10 hp briggs and stratton motor just sitting on the side of my house.  I have found gold nuggets over 1 ounce and 1 of my friends has a several ounce nugget from above oroville. There is still alot of gold in the rivers and big flows like this expose new areas and also wash more into the rivers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Proof again that ARFCOM is first with the news and often first on the scene.
View Quote

Better than that, it almost got seriously serious.

I was skimming FARK for the yucks this morning and came upon their dam thread. Low and behold, from page 1:
"There's a guy on another forum who was periscoping live from a neighboring hill top but is moving for a better vantage point.
I will post a link when hes live streaming again."

That link might very well have led FARK's readers to ARFCOM, and....I don't even want to contemplate the horror.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I understand at some point yesterday a drone was shot out of the air...
View Quote

#FakeNews unless you have pics
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If my math is correct, and it most likely isn't, it appears they can drop the lake by 5 feet per day at the 55k release rate, once the inflow drops to  non-precipitation rates. If the next precipitation event isn't until Thursday, they should be able to get at least a little breathing room. With all of the potential for rain in the coming months, I'd bet they are going to do everything possible to get rid of water.
View Quote

That's pretty optimistic on the inflow values.  If there were zero inflow, it would lower at about 7.3 ft/day.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too bad they haven't figured out how to store the excess for future drought conditions.

It's always a shame when I visit family in the LA area. They have a huge rainstorm and just let it run to the Pacific. You'd think after all this time they'd figure out a way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now we can worry that they will drop the reservoir too low to handle future storms that don't materialize, and the drought can be saved!

#savethedrought
View Quote

Without the powerhouse working, they won't be able to drop it very far.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Inflow is down to 41k, the emergency spillway will be dry by tomorrow, if not late today.

Seems it did its job well.

I'm looking forward to the before/after pictures when both spillways are dry.
View Quote
They won't stop spilling out the primary for long...they really need the storage to be able to smooth out any inflow spikes that may happen this week. 

If you look at the p spillway damage it has migrated significantly uphill toward the gates.  They will stop the flow to eyeball that when they can. Drones will be used. That erosion is the driving factor going forward and they need real facts to make good decisions about what spillway to use. 

They survived round 1. Once they get a little storage space they will evaluate and make a plan for the coming weeks.  They need that power plant so clearing the channel and setting up new transmission lines will be a priority. 

Still if a major melt/rainfall event happens they are pretty screwed. No storage means it's just a wide spot in the river now. 
Page / 298
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top