Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#1]
It's even better.  In Illinois, if you get a great deal on a car, you pay tax on the "fair market value" of that car, not the price you paid for it.

Fuck Illinois' government.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It simply amazing me with how that state come sup with new ways to tax people.

I'm guessing within 5 years they'll figure out a way to tax the people fleeing that shithole of a state.
View Quote
I believe New Jersey has already figured that one out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]
They gonna raise their license fees and fines too?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Taxed when you buy it.
Taxed when you possess it.
Taxed when you sell it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay the tax not once, but twice citizen!
Taxed when you buy it.
Taxed when you possess it.
Taxed when you sell it.
But my right to travel!
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm guessing within 5 years they'll figure out a way to tax the people fleeing that shithole of a state.
View Quote
Some states already have an exit tax.

Surprised they don't.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They gonna raise their license fees and fines too?
View Quote
Yearly registration fees were raised from $101 to $160 beginning next year.

ETA:  I think they raised registration fees on EVs to $250/ year
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We literally got run out of our building.

$2400 a week fine for not having handicap accessible doors.
$700 a week fine for not having a handicap accessible bathroom.
$40 a day business license fee late fee. (Even though we’re an Ohio company.)

There is other things I’m forgetting. But we tossed the keys to the land lord and said have fun.

They targeted us, not wanting us around.  Not a damn thing has been updated in the building since we left. But the company who owns it, upfits all the cars for Chicago PD and the surrounding areas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We tax you on the money you make at your job to buy the vehicle.

We tax you when you use the money you were taxed to buy a vehicle.

We tax you to license the vehicle that you were taxed twice over now.

We tax you to use the highway system for the vehicle that you were taxed over 3? times now.

We tax you for the gasoline the you've been taxed 4? or 5? times over to use.

We now tax you when your vehicle is worn out and you trade it in on a new vehicle, which you will be taxed on.

Illinois is still deep in the red.

Land of Lincoln!
Fun fact.

Cook county has a tax, a licensing department and inspection department for bulk oil tanks.

For new customers it was in excess of $1000 a tank depending on size.
Holy carp, that’s probably more per tank in State Fees and permits than we pay for building a whole fuel distribution terminal with a couple million bbls of storage
We literally got run out of our building.

$2400 a week fine for not having handicap accessible doors.
$700 a week fine for not having a handicap accessible bathroom.
$40 a day business license fee late fee. (Even though we’re an Ohio company.)

There is other things I’m forgetting. But we tossed the keys to the land lord and said have fun.

They targeted us, not wanting us around.  Not a damn thing has been updated in the building since we left. But the company who owns it, upfits all the cars for Chicago PD and the surrounding areas.
File an ADA complaint?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Just when I think there’s nothing more I could possibly hate about this state....they find a way to raise the bar.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Exactly this!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://apps.chicagotribune.com/election_results_geography_president/ai/ai2html-output/big-map-winner-mobile.png

https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/ZVE_XPwobTDgeI4i0rPcFAIfig0=/850x570/smart/filters:quality(80)/https://static.texastribune.org/media/images/2016/11/10/TX2016-county-results.png

Don't get too comfortable, Tex.
Exactly this!
Holy shit balls...Everywhere there is a city it's blue. That's pretty amazing...and sad.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The trade in value of a car doesn't represent a profit, it represents a loss.

Look for New York State to adopt a similar tax.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Death and taxes
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Best thing I ever did, was leaving that state and not looking back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#15]
So no more trade-ins in Illinois.  Smart dealerships will just break up the transactions to different corporate entities.  Open separate corps outside the state who will have an in-state "inspection service" company to advise the out of state company on their remote purchase and a transport company who takes (theoretically) the vehicle to the trade-in buying corporation registered and domiciled outside IL.  The net cost of restructuring the deals will be WAY less than paying a 6% tax.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, the good people of Illinois voted the bums into office.  They wanted tax and spend democrat politics.
View Quote
Fucking ignorant statement.  Cook county and st Clair county voted this in.  The good people of Illinois voted for Rauner.  Look at a map and know what you talk about before you type.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:22:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sales tax will be charged on the sale price of the vehicle you're buying, same as always. There's not going to be an additional tax on your trade in.

In the past there's been a tax credit for the entire trade in value, that credit will be capped at $10K after this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The way the article is written I can't tell if you only pay tax on the used car value or if you pay for the difference and the trade in value which means there is no tax benefit to trading in.
Sales tax will be charged on the sale price of the vehicle you're buying, same as always. There's not going to be an additional tax on your trade in.

In the past there's been a tax credit for the entire trade in value, that credit will be capped at $10K after this year.
Yeah, this. Not like some people in this thread were saying that they were going to charge tax on the full sales price of the new vehicle, and now add some new tax on the value of the trade-in. That wouldn't even make sense. It's just that they capped the trade-in credit at 10k, you know, to target only the "wealthy".

And don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it as I think we're all already taxed way to much, but it took me literally 10 seconds on Google to educate myself on the topic before I replied to this thread. The world would be a better place if people commenting on shit online actually knew WTF they were talking about. Just like idiots pushing gun control that know nothing about how guns work, current gun purchasing laws, or anything else related to the gun community.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We tax you to use the highway system for the vehicle that you were taxed over 3? times now.

We now tax you when your vehicle is worn out and you trade it in on a new vehicle, which you will be taxed on.
View Quote
Just look at your phone book's white pages under state offices. Page after page after page of hundreds of phone numbers for state departments, agencies, and offices.

There's your answer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#19]
All in all this is going to hurt the dealerships and the morons who trade vehicles in too often. I keep my trucks until they are 8-9 years old. Then I trade it in on a new truck and deduct 100% off my taxes for buying a work truck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good for their stupid residents who voted for shit like that by electing shit bag pols.
No sympathy for people who stay in places like that.
View Quote
The Virginia Boys were saying the exact same thing ten years ago.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could beat the tax by buying/trading in Indiana?
View Quote
We don't have to wonder if you read the article.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And where are you fleeing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. 11 more days and I am out forever!!!
And where are you fleeing?
They know something about Hillary and they've scheduled...
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Who determines value of the trade and the value of the car you trade it in on?
View Quote
Obviously your betters in some unelected bureaucracy. Because they know better than you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shithole state.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is that even legal? Sounds like double taxation to me.
View Quote
What do you think ad valorum taxes are as well as property taxes?

They are basically wealth taxes. You own something of value, we will tax it and get a part of it each year. It doesn't matter if it is a car or piece of land. We will have our piece and it will satisfy us or you will be targeted.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep.  GA now strongly discourages selling your car for a new one.  Drive it into the ground, and pollute the air in Atlanta more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In Georgia they changed the law 8-10 years ago on car sales.  Prior to the law change, you could buy a used car from an individual and you didn't have to pay sales tax at all.  There was a huge market for used cars sold by individuals.

The new law in Georgia is you pay a tax when you get your car tag.  So it doesn't matter how or where you buy your car, when you get the tag transferred, you pay the 7% tax.
Yep.  GA now strongly discourages selling your car for a new one.  Drive it into the ground, and pollute the air in Atlanta more.
Yep never sell your car. The good news is that they now have a 1 time tax that you pay when you buy the car / register it based upon book values or sale price.

The problem?

People don't trade in as much now. Why spend thousands in taxes just to get a new car?
The state has noticed that they are not making as much as they used to make as people did not continue buying cars as fast as they used to buy them.

Result:

The state of Georgia is now considering going back and adding a yearly ad valorum in addition to the sales tax charge.

Note: This is with Republicans in charge. Wait until some liberal gets into office.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is double taxation unconstitutional?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
that doesn't seem like it would hold up in court.  Seems like double taxation.
Is double taxation unconstitutional?
Nope!! bad news nor is triple taxation.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
a tax on a tax on a tax on a tax .... the government are masters at taxing a citizens dollar, the same dollar, as many times as they absolutely can until that dollar isn't worth a dollar anymore.
View Quote
Just think!

You pay taxes upon the income you earn when you earn it.
Then you pay taxes upon your SS income (up to 85% of SS income) if you have a side gig
Then you pay taxes upon what you have accumulated as part of your estate if the level is high enough. Democrats want to lower it a lot!

Simple version of the triple tax.

It is actually worse, but I don't want to depress you too badly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#29]
So if you trade in your car, and the dealer gives you money for it to put toward another car, the state taxes that trade-in value?

Lol.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
We're in the market for a new car. Looks like I'll be shopping in IL, the dealers are going to hurting for months and really looking to deal.

lemons, lemonade and all that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
GA already leads the country in bullshit vehicle taxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait until the Georgia republicans find out they can add taxes
GA already leads the country in bullshit vehicle taxes.
Try California. That is far worse.

You pay the tax when you get the car.
You pay the tax each year when you register the car at a rate 4 or 5 times the rest of the country
You then have to prove your car is smog acceptable once every two years..... by the way there is no limit on what you have to pay in order to get it to pass.... They are at state certified stations so they have no urgency to get you to pass.
You then pay for a certificate ( think tax ) to get your car registered once again.

That is before the "safety checks" the police hold on a regular basis to check and ticket your car. Goal is 100% of vehicles going through the check point get a ticket.

This is before insurance, etc
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Fucking ignorant statement.  Cook county and st Clair county voted this in.  The good people of Illinois voted for Rauner.  Look at a map and know what you talk about before you type.
View Quote
People don’t understand that our entire state is ran by a few counties....I have exactly zero control over the shit bags other districts put into office. My district is solid red....

What’s funny / sad is people in other states don’t believe it can happen to them....VA should be a wake up call.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Holy shit balls...Everywhere there is a city it's blue. That's pretty amazing...and sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://apps.chicagotribune.com/election_results_geography_president/ai/ai2html-output/big-map-winner-mobile.png

https://thumbnails.texastribune.org/ZVE_XPwobTDgeI4i0rPcFAIfig0=/850x570/smart/filters:quality(80)/https://static.texastribune.org/media/images/2016/11/10/TX2016-county-results.png

Don't get too comfortable, Tex.
Exactly this!
It is the same problem everywhere. We have a blue section in our county..... yep .... it is the only city in the area. They are always looking to raise taxes and make more money.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
People don’t understand that our entire state is ran by a few counties....I have exactly zero control over the shit bags other districts put into office. My district is solid red....

What’s funny / sad is people in other states don’t believe it can happen to them....VA should be a wake up call.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why democracy is evil. We are a republic and not a democracy (the nation). States are democracies and look what happens.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Never understood why you got a trade in credit when selling a used car to a dealer. They do that here too, don't get it private party, why should dealers get a 10% price advantage to subsidize their low-ball trade-in offers?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

What a horrible state.  It seems like the only way to deal with that if one had to live there is to keep a vehicle until it has little to no value.  Something I would think the dealers would not like.  I can't see how that is even legal and hope it gets challenged in court.
View Quote
As long as the death tax is allowed to stand, double taxation is perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
One man didn't write and implement this law.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't be that fucking stupid. Do you realize that Cook county and the city of Chicago's population is double the whole rest of the mainly conservative state! That is right south of I80 really has little to no say in the laws put upon us. But at least we don't marry our daughters here like that WV dude!
View Quote
Yeah?
Californians and new Yorkers say the same thing, like it's some kind of free pass or badge of honor.
Whatever. You still live there, and by virtue of your being a good citizen/subject you are indirectly supporting the very people/cities/state that keep this cycle going.

I'd much rather live in a state where hillbillies kill their daughters boyfriend's and marry them than supporting an oppressive and crooked state with it's snakebed political machine by telling myself "they don't represent me!!"
Sounds alot like not my president.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#39]
And to think, our founding fathers went to war over this BS. And we're just spiting in there faces when Bid government makes new taxes like this
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've heard it's being actively discussed now. Many of the cities in Illinois (Naperville, among many others) already have an "exit" tax for when you sell your home and don't buy another one in the same city.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#41]
They also just voted to take downstate police and fire pensions and consolidate them into state run funds......you know, to protect them from our mismanagement. Of course the bill they voted on allows the state to borrow from the fund to pay for public works projects but they certainly won't abuse that at all.

So now our 80% funded program gets merged into neighboring department plans that are under 20% funded that can be spent freely on unnecessary repaving contracts for Chicago area contractors who donate to the right campaigns. Oh and the guy who wrote the bill to merge just announced his resignation from office conveniently after the FBI set up office in Springfield again for another corruption probe.

Illinois......it's a great place to raise a family.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Illinois is still deep in the red.

Land of Lincoln!
View Quote
Yearly milage taxes (on top of our recently doubled fuel tax) and $500 yearly vehicle registrations are coming next. I'm setting up a North Dakota address to register the vehicles to like full time RV dwellers do. Four more years till I can leave this shithole for good.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could beat the tax by buying/trading in Indiana?
View Quote
Nope.

Sales tax on vehicles bought out of state is collected at the DMV when you register the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've heard it's being actively discussed now. Many of the cities in Illinois (Naperville, among many others) already have an "exit" tax for when you sell your home and don't buy another one in the same city.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real Estate Transfer Tax. Unfortunately, ~ 40 states have them. Mitch Daniels signed the bill which eliminated them in Indiana.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's being discussed.

Not kidding.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey, the good people of Illinois voted the bums into office.  They wanted tax and spend democrat politics.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah?
Californians and new Yorkers say the same thing, like it's some kind of free pass or badge of honor.
Whatever. You still live there, and by virtue of your being a good citizen/subject you are indirectly supporting the very people/cities/state that keep this cycle going.

I'd much rather live in a state where hillbillies kill their daughters boyfriend's and marry them than supporting an oppressive and crooked state with it's snakebed political machine by telling myself "they don't represent me!!"
Sounds alot like not my president.
View Quote
Your right every conservative should pack up and leave....have you figured out how to move thousands of acres of farm ground?

By all means keep thinking it can never happen in your state.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Fuck leftists...
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
In Georgia they changed the law 8-10 years ago on car sales.  Prior to the law change, you could buy a used car from an individual and you didn't have to pay sales tax at all.  There was a huge market for used cars sold by individuals.

The new law in Georgia is you pay a tax when you get your car tag.  So it doesn't matter how or where you buy your car, when you get the tag transferred, you pay the 7% tax.
View Quote
MD does that too.  I had to pay that for my Jeep that was already paid for years ago, just changing plates from IL to MD.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah, this. Not like some people in this thread were saying that they were going to charge tax on the full sales price of the new vehicle, and now add some new tax on the value of the trade-in. That wouldn't even make sense. It's just that they capped the trade-in credit at 10k, you know, to target only the "wealthy".

And don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it as I think we're all already taxed way to much, but it took me literally 10 seconds on Google to educate myself on the topic before I replied to this thread. The world would be a better place if people commenting on shit online actually knew WTF they were talking about. Just like idiots pushing gun control that know nothing about how guns work, current gun purchasing laws, or anything else related to the gun community.
View Quote
Are you being purposely obtuse ?

The reason people don't know wtf they're reading is because in normal places I don't have to pack sales tax on the car I trade in.

Oh wait you said Illinois doesn't do that.

Google says you're wrong .
Attachment Attached File

Just because you get a "tax credit " for the first 10k didn't mean they aren't taxing trade in value .

Dont be disingenuous
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top