BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Africa's population isn't growing anywhere near that much without western support against the inevitable drought, famine and plagues that regularly visit that continent.
View Quote

Do you expect Europe to have a change of heart in the next decade or two?
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
All 5 of them?
View Quote

Also true.gif I think Gen X is even smaller than Gen Z which is very small and the most recent Gen A is absolutely tiny. Pretty soon illegals will outnumber US born….slight exaggeration
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The most reliable way to improve the standard of living is bring more morally decent and intelligent people into the world. More people means more inventors, more innovators, more workers, and more shit gets done.
View Quote

It doesn't work that way, and hasn't for decades or centuries

Idiocracy is coming, and the only realistic alternative is extinction
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#4]
The fact that depopulation is always for someone else, and not for the people advocating for it, is all you need to know to understand why it's "bad". Plotting the demise of other human beings, by the millions or even billions, is indefensible. If the advocates love the idea of depopulation so much they need to lead by example and off themselves. Maybe then they could convince some to follow the example of their strong conviction (not me). At least that would be a non-coercive and therefore legitimate approach to it. Lead by example. Everything else is just thinly veiled excuse to "have more" by eliminating others via force, coercion or manipulation. There's a word for that: genocide.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Overpopulation scares began in 1798 with Thomas Malthus. He was wrong about inevitable catastrophe then, and continued to be. Erlich’s book “Population Bomb” (1968) tied the same myth into environmentalism, and it’s still wrong. If anything, under population is a problem. Even China moved from a 1 child policy to 3 over the past decade or so.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
So to those of you who say that we should increase the population based on how large the earth is and how much more room there is, what about the rest of nature? Are you implying we should continue to destroy the rest of nature so we can inhabit the area? Push out and kill all the wildlife just to make more room for us? We are not the only living creatures on this planet. But I guess the name of the game is to just consume consume consume.

I don’t know the answers but i do believe the planet is over populated. I also think think that our wastefulness and consumption of resources is just as big of an issue. Pollution is another big one for me, and I’m not talking carbon emissions from cars. Physical pollution, plastics being a big one. So much of that could be cut down on but nobody cares. Everyone is too worried about themselves and what the most convenient option is.

With all the crazy shit the elite are up to these days you would think us non elites would pull our heads out of our asses and stop fighting each other and fight them. They’re people who bleed just like everybody else.

Know your enemy
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So to those of you who say that we should increase the population based on how large the earth is and how much more room there is, what about the rest of nature? Are you implying we should continue to destroy the rest of nature so we can inhabit the area? Push out and kill all the wildlife just to make more room for us? We are not the only living creatures on this planet. But I guess the name of the game is to just consume consume consume.

I don’t know the answers but i do believe the planet is over populated. I also think think that our wastefulness and consumption of resources is just as big of an issue. Pollution is another big one for me, and I’m not talking carbon emissions from cars. Physical pollution, plastics being a big one. So much of that could be cut down on but nobody cares. Everyone is too worried about themselves and what the most convenient option is.

With all the crazy shit the elite are up to these days you would think us non elites would pull our heads out of our asses and stop fighting each other and fight them. They’re people who bleed just like everybody else.

Know your enemy
View Quote

The thing is, yeah, having this many people is bad for the environment, particularly in developing nations and those like China who don't give a shit how much garbage they pump into the oceans and rivers.  But having the population stop growing is going to destroy our current economic model, which means that hundreds of millions of people are going to die in those developing countries of starvation and disease.  And in developed nations, it will mean that people who would otherwise have had a chance at success, at thriving, will be stuck in perpetual poverty.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thano's only mistake was that he didn't go far enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thano's only mistake was that he didn't go far enough.

Thanos' mistake was that he's a drooling moron.

Snap, double resources and remove the other problems.

Nope, can't do that

why?

Wouldn't fit the forced story!

Malthusianism is mentally midgeted and hateful.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Overpopulation scares began in 1798 with Thomas Malthus. He was wrong about inevitable catastrophe then, and continued to be. Erlich’s book “Population Bomb” (1968) tied the same myth into environmentalism, and it’s still wrong. If anything, under population is a problem. Even China moved from a 1 child policy to 3 over the past decade or so.
View Quote

They came before him.

IIRC all the way back to the ancient world.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The thing is, yeah, having this many people is bad for the environment, particularly in developing nations and those like China who don't give a shit how much garbage they pump into the oceans and rivers.  But having the population stop growing is going to destroy our current economic model, which means that hundreds of millions of people are going to die in those developing countries of starvation and disease.  And in developed nations, it will mean that people who would otherwise have had a chance at success, at thriving, will be stuck in perpetual poverty.
View Quote

More H1-B Visa for India
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know your enemy

Meanwhile, nobody gives a rip about the fact that we can't centrally plan this stuff any more than the soviets could centrally plan something far less complex.

Less than nobody cares that it's morally wrong to start doing depopulation politics.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I completely agree. I’d say this country would be much better off with approximately 50% less people.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Never was keen on kids and sure as hell glad I didn't have any as I will be finalizing my divorce next week.

Zero plans on having any in the future.

Sorry
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't seen anyone mention the 800lb gorilla in the room. OIL. While I don't pretend to have answers to the questions asked here as far as right or wrong but all you have to do is look at the human growth curve over time to realize what's going on. With Colonel Drake’s heralded discovery of oil in Pennsylvania in 1859 set the stage for the population boom we've seen ever since. IE, since the advent of oil human population has gone exponential and is almost solely as result of OIL and the subsequent technologies that were made possible and economical because of oil.

Depopulation is inevitable. It's axiomatic that if the cause of the population boom goes away so must the population but I'm not saying oil will go away tomorrow but one thing we have to admit is that it's a finite resource and the people at the top would love to control what's left for their own purposes/future. In January 2001, right after taking office Bush and Cheney started the NEPDG (National energy policy development group). This group basically set out to find out how much oil is out there, where it is, and who owns it. After 9/11, we can all pretty much agree the decline of everything accelerated to a noticeable level and has only picked up steam since then. The Post 9/11 era has been filled with promotion of things that essentially slow population growth if not out right reverse it and I needn't go through them here but we all know what they are and its pretty clear. IE, the depopulation has started and is only picking up steam.

The question we should be asking is if oil has run out, is about to run out, or will last 500 years. Survival tends to temper expectations of standard of living, political ideology, and many other things. If we knew the real reasoning behind depopulation things may become clearer and we'd have better understanding with which to fight the coming technocratic feudalism.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/c1/70/14c1700b182c79f1ff758e367672534d.png
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:47:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No, it's not nonsense and what you're talking about has nothing at all to do with what we were discussing.  We weren't discussing changes in the ecosystem, we were discussing whether or not animals live in natural equilibrium with their environment.  They don't.  They have no "instinct" about how many babies to have, they have as many as their nutrition allows for.  They go through boom and bust cycles.  When there's an irruption year for snowshoe hares in Denali National Park, you get more wolves and more lynx being born.  Then when the irruption is over and the excess population of wolves and lynx take the snowshoe hare population down below a level where it can support the extra population of predators, the predators die off from starvation and competition and without the pressure from predators, the snowshoe hare population booms again and the whole cycle is repeated.  That's how it works.  No guiding hand, no wisdom, just eating until you've eaten everything and then dying so the food can grow again.
View Quote

You and I have different definitions of 'instinct.'

Let me put it this way:  Human beings are the only species on this planet with free will.
As such, we alone have the power to destroy, the power to create, and the power to act as both users and shepherds.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I haven't seen anyone mention the 800lb gorilla in the room. OIL. While I don't pretend to have answers to the questions asked here as far as right or wrong but all you have to do is look at the human growth curve over time to realize what's going on. With Colonel Drake’s heralded discovery of oil in Pennsylvania in 1859 set the stage for the population boom we've seen ever since. IE, since the advent of oil human population has gone exponential and is almost solely as result of OIL and the subsequent technologies that were made possible and economical because of oil.

Depopulation is inevitable. It's axiomatic that if the cause of the population boom goes away so must the population but I'm not saying oil will go away tomorrow but one thing we have to admit is that it's a finite resource and the people at the top would love to control what's left for their own purposes/future. In January 2001, right after taking office Bush and Cheney started the NEPDG (National energy policy development group). This group basically set out to find out how much oil is out there, where it is, and who owns it. After 9/11, we can all pretty much agree the decline of everything accelerated to a noticeable level and has only picked up steam since then. The Post 9/11 era has been filled with promotion of things that essentially slow population growth if not out right reverse it and I needn't go through them here but we all know what they are and its pretty clear. IE, the depopulation has started and is only picking up steam.

The question we should be asking is if oil has run out, is about to run out, or will last 500 years. Survival tends to temper expectations of standard of living, political ideology, and many other things. If we knew the real reasoning behind depopulation things may become clearer and we'd have better understanding with which to fight the coming technocratic feudalism.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/14/c1/70/14c1700b182c79f1ff758e367672534d.png
View Quote

3 posts in 9 years. Drops this nugget in one of them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nobody that thinks depopulation is a good thing thinks them or their families will be the ones depopulated. It's always the "undesirables".
View Quote

Yup. ITT, "depopulation is good as long as it's those dirty brown people who are being depopulated, and not me".
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You and I have different definitions of 'instinct.'

Let me put it this way:  Human beings are the only species on this planet with free will.
As such, we alone have the power to destroy, the power to create, and the power to act as both users and shepherds.
View Quote

"Instinct" would be if the animals chose not to reproduce because there wasn't enough room for it.  
And whether we really have free will is open to debate.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why is depopulation viewed as "bad"?
View Quote

If you're a government (read: not you and I), depopulation is very, very bad because it drops a nuke on your economy (unless you are very lucky, and able to transition to an economic model that doesn't need as many workers) and government services (a rapidly-shrinking population of working-age adults means there's not enough of a taxbase to pay for the benefits the already-retired people were promised*).

The USA might slide though to the other side, due to automation....but places like China, which doesn't have enough runway to change away from a "cheap labor/many hands" model, are going down in flames.

Hell, we're about to see a real decline in the availability of Credit in the US (unless we get a lot of Capital flight to us, due to crunching economies in Europe and Asia), as the Boomers are finally being forced into retirement and are cashing out their investments to fund their lives.

*-and, TBF, it's not a case of "tighten your belt, Grandpa!", but more that people will starve/die when things like SS, VA retirement, and Medicare have to be cut.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 3:07:03 PM EDT
[#20]
We need to get it down to the 87,000,000 range.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
We need to depopulate the WEF and Bill Gates to remove their carbon footprints to save the planet.
Link Posted: 11/4/2022 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you're a government (read: not you and I), depopulation is very, very bad because it drops a nuke on your economy (unless you are very lucky, and able to transition to an economic model that doesn't need as many workers) and government services (a rapidly-shrinking population of working-age adults means there's not enough of a taxbase to pay for the benefits the already-retired people were promised*).

The USA might slide though to the other side, due to automation....but places like China, which doesn't have enough runway to change away from a "cheap labor/many hands" model, are going down in flames.

Hell, we're about to see a real decline in the availability of Credit in the US (unless we get a lot of Capital flight to us, due to crunching economies in Europe and Asia), as the Boomers are finally being forced into retirement and are cashing out their investments to fund their lives.

*-and, TBF, it's not a case of "tighten your belt, Grandpa!", but more that people will starve/die when things like SS, VA retirement, and Medicare have to be cut.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is depopulation viewed as "bad"?

I doubt anyone will starve here.  Or Europe.  Other places, yes.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top