Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/17/2013 5:37:10 PM EDT
What's the consensus as a vacation spot?

My wife and I are in our 40s, not looking for crazy night life. Good restaurants, easygoing and laid back attitude for a week would be great.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Budget and time of year?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Destin but our go to place is Orange Beach, AL. Really laid back, great places to eat, and close to the Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm from destin originally so I'm a little biasd its a great place lots to do!
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome beaches with white sand. Go to the Donut Hole for pastries.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Just got back awesome. Go in September or October and have the town to yourself.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It was nice 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Head 20 min further east to CR 30-A

Santa Rosa beach

Feel free to IM me if ya want

Much more laid back than Destin

Great food, not crowded
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Amelia Island for a more laid back and much less crowded beach. You can ferry up to Cumberland Island for a nice relaxing day too with the wife.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
There's a reason why it was voted nices beaches in the WORLD. Plus southern hospitality.

Honestly though I wouldnt come down this time of year. Traffic blows ass with all the tourists. If you can swing it, the fall is till plenty warm enough for beach trips and laying in the sun; plus it isnt insane  with people down here. Im still going to the beach clear into late october.

Pretty much anywhere between pensacola to panama city you're gonna get awesome beaches.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
OP depending on budget you can rent a house in Destiny by the sea for $2500-$15000 per week. DBTS is the nicest spot in Destin and located pretty centrally plus the beaches are private and rarely crowded. Most houses are 5+ bedroom so usually you'll see several families split a house to make it more affordable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Great quieter beaches around there. Try Grayton Beach. and its close enough to Donut Hole!
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

this. just be prepared to wait in line for a while.

we really like destin. a family member has a condo there and we go there quite often.

GR
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on time of year but in general it's a very nice spot. My family has a couple of condos between Panama City Beach and Destin so we go down every year, generally just outside peek season. Late Aug-early Sept as most of the crowds are gone is when we like to go down there.

Where are you looking at staying?
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My wife and I are in our 40s, not looking for crazy night life. Good restaurants, easygoing and laid back attitude for a week would be great.

We've been the last 6 years in a row to Gulf Shores AL twice, Panama City Beach twice, Destin once and Ft Walton beach once
Gulf Shores was the least crowded traffic wise
The condos we stayed at Destin were great for kids (we have 5)
Panama City Beach condo was great for kids too
I liked destin but its crowded as hell, there are some smaller beach spots with no crowds but they'll tend to cost more and be farther away from restaurants etc
We bought a new car so a beach trip is out this year but if we go next year it will be Panama City beach or Gulf Shores
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Destin is absolutely gorgeous and I want to live there eventually. During spring break its turned into a destination for college students but still not too crazy or anything like Padre or Panama City. It's my understanding that any other time of the year it's super calm and quiet. Heck even during spring break I saw a good amount of family's. Check out Okaloosa Island (literally 5 seconds over the bridge from destin, practically the same thing). The beaches there are gorgeous and it's really laid back and super quiet. I've stayed there 2 years during spring break and even then it was nice and quiet and not wild like Miramar Beach further east. Fishing is good and if you go check out the Baytown area, cool bars, restaurants and little shops

(College student who was been to Destin for 2 spring breaks)
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Being from arizona, my experience on the gulf coast is limited. But I spent a couple weeks between Panama City and Pensacola for a family vacay with brothers, sisters and the folks. It was incredible. Arizona is awesome, but it's got nothing on the gulf coast, I'm retiring there. I'd like to make it to the rest some day, Ms, Al, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been all over FL and love Destin the best.

It's a little more upscale than Panama City and Jacksonville.  I would advise you to stay away from the giant high rises unless you like three or four deep umbrellas and chairs.

The beach is powdery white, the water is generally crystal clear (can see your toes in waist deep water), moderate but safe surf.

You'll have to check the restaurants carefully because those on the water are generally college age tourist traps with marginal food.  Pompano Joes is a definite no go.  There can be some long lines for dinner at the nice places.

Check your PM's.

New
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's great.  Spent a lot of time there.  Orange beach is also great.  A little cheaper than destin and beaches as nice.  Plus it's closer.

No they aren't.  Destin beaches are much nicer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Destin or San destin are great. We try to go for a week every year.  For us I can't think of abetter place to go because it is just about a 7 hour drive. 5.5 hr  if you are a dumbass teenager on senior yr spring break.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Beaches are nice. Plenty to do. If you like grouper, there is a restaurant on the east side on destin on  hwy 98 called Louis Louis. Best restaurant around. If you would like to know about anything in particular, let me know. I'm down there several times over the summer.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#24]
They just opened a Coyote Ugly Saloon there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's great.  Spent a lot of time there.  Orange beach is also great.  A little cheaper than destin and beaches as nice.  Plus it's closer.

No they aren't.  Destin beaches are much nicer.

I can say I haven't been to many beaches but I have been to Orange as well as Destin and Destin is by far the nicest of all I have ever been to.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Beaches are nice. Plenty to do. If you like grouper, there is a restaurant on the east side on destin on  hwy 98 called Louis Louis. Best restaurant around. If you would like to know about anything in particular, let me know. I'm down there several times over the summer.

Blackened grouper on grit cake and sautéed spinach.

Yummy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked on a resort and retail project there. Was fun getting to go there, though not good to be working while everybody else is on vacation.
I liked seaside.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was stationed at Ft Benning the wife and I would go there 3 or 4 times a year normally in the off season but occasionally in the summer. We miss it I think the beaches in Texas suck in comparison. For restraunts it's hard to beat Mcquires or Pompano joes it sits right on the beach with the shudders open for the ocean breeze great seafood and excellent gumbo. Mcquires has incredible smoked prim rib and great beer brewed on premises.

For one of my reenlismtents we flew a Blackhawk down got a van from Eglin AFB and drove to Pompano Joes, I reenlismtents in the beach and my Commander MAJ Haskins bought my lunch a really awesome day.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Sanibel is pretty quiet and laid back.

ETA: I'm a dumbass and was thinking Captiva=Sanibel.  Only about 6 hours difference.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There's a Hofbrauhaus in PCB on the way to Destin. It's a fun night out with friends....
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm there right now.  I recommend the Adagio resort.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Head 20 min further east to CR 30-A

Santa Rosa beach

Feel free to IM me if ya want

Much more laid back than Destin

Great food, not crowded

I'm a half hour east of 30A and totally agree...  If you have ever seen the movie "Truman Show", that is the town (Seaside) they used for Truman's little bubble... Spent many sunset's at Bud n' Alley's there...  If you want laid back and relaxing, 30A is where it is now.  Destin is traffic and tourists.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Great vacation spot. Been going there off and on since I was a teenager in the early '90s. I just took my family there. The best breakfast I had there was actually at a Greek place, The Aegean. They make different eggs Benedict and omelettes etc in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#34]
We stay on 30A in Santa Rosa/Blue Mountain.  Beautiful, sparsely populated, and close enough to Destin to go to restaurants.

You need to go to Louisiana Lagniappe.  It is, by far and away, the best restaurant in Destin...bar none.  For fried food, go to Dewey Destin's.  For those from the area, I bet they will say the same.  Destin is my second home.  Want a good Captain to fish with?  I'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If that doesn't scream tourist, nothing does....

ETA: if you decide on 30A, I highly recommend Pandora's for steak, and the red bar for food during the day, but be warned, red bar turns into a night spot, and the roads and parking are nuts there.

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I love it. Get a root beer at McGuires Pub.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Navarre is nice, and not far from Destin.  The wife, son, and I just got back from a week in Navarre.  We did Destin last year.  I enjoyed the beach in Navarre more, because it was less crowded and just as nice.  Destin has more to do though, as Navarre is much smaller and less developed.

I never noticed it at Destin, but the sand on Navarre beach glows at night when you kick it...
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Gulf Shores has all you need.  Great beaches, etc and much more laid back than Destin.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Navarre is nice, and not far from Destin.  The wife, son, and I just got back from a week in Navarre.  We did Destin last year.  I enjoyed the beach in Navarre more, because it was less crowded and just as nice.  Destin has more to do though, as Navarre is much smaller and less developed.

I never noticed it at Destin, but the sand on Navarre beach glows at night when you kick it...

There is no way Navarre beaches are as nice as Destin, Destin beaches are sheltered by the sandbars.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no way Navarre beaches are as nice as Destin, Destin beaches are sheltered by the sandbars.

I live in Navarre and beg to differ. Sandbars....lol we have sand bars too. Our water is generally MUCH cleaner and and clearer too because we are 25 miles from Destin Pass and 27 miles from Pensacola Pass. Being close to a pass means you have dirty water (dirty in color not actually "dirty") and because Navarre is very far from either pass we tend to have "cleaner" water.

Navarre is about 30-45 minutes from Destin and same from Pensacola or Pensacola Beach. Its an easy drive to EITHER place if you have your own car.

Navarre is also cheaper then Destin and off of 30-A.

I am a kayak fishing guide and fish Navarre, Destin and Pensacola. Navarre is one of my favorite places in the world. Quiet, beautiful, cheap, great fishing, and still close enough to TWO different large touristy areas.

Seriously, look into it and if you want to tangle with some of these from a kayak let me know!

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thats photo-plankton, basicially small animals that have bio-luminescence. They are present every where but it has to be dark enough to see, too much artificial light in Destin and other overgrown areas. Head on down to the Gulf Islands National Seashore in between Navarre Beach and Pensacola Beach on a calm moonless night and splash in the water and it will glow! Very cool but dont go too deep, if youve seen the sharks Ive seen you wouldnt go swimming at night! I sure as hell dont! The sharks are everywhere though, not just a Navarre thing!
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#42]
And another pic I took from the Gulf's longest fishing pier in Navarre!

Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in Navarre and beg to differ. Sandbars....lol we have sand bars too. Our water is generally MUCH cleaner and and clearer too because we are 25 miles from Destin Pass and 27 miles from Pensacola Pass. Being close to a pass means you have dirty water (dirty in color not actually "dirty") and because Navarre is very far from either pass we tend to have "cleaner" water.

Navarre is about 30-45 minutes from Destin and same from Pensacola or Pensacola Beach. Its an easy drive to EITHER place if you have your own car.

I am a kayak fishing guide and fish Navarre, Destin and Pensacola. Navarre is one of my favorite places in the world. Quiet, beautiful, cheap, great fishing, and still close enough to TWO different large touristy areas.

Seriously, look into it and if you want to tangle with some of these from a kayak let me know!

<a href="http://s534.photobucket.com/user/JD762/media/IMAG0047_zps1f3c502e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee345/JD762/IMAG0047_zps1f3c502e.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s534.photobucket.com/user/JD762/media/IMG_0165_zpsce9595ff.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee345/JD762/IMG_0165_zpsce9595ff.jpg</a>

Ive been to both, I was just at both only a few weeks ago. Walking the beach in Destin you see some seaweed washed up occasionally, when we walked Navarre it was tons of seaweed that was interlaced with just as much trash, broken glass and plastic products. I parked at the peir and walked east about 2 miles (yes I know its suposedly forbidden) and the beaches were littered with more garbage than Ive seen on beaches in third world countries.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

We vacation there every year. Technicaly seagrove beach. Clear water and white sand. Donut hole for breakfast every morning!!!!
Very snazy areas around there as well. Definatly not the redneck Riviera that is panama city.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:49:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s534.photobucket.com/user/JD762/media/IMAG0047_zps1f3c502e.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee345/JD762/IMAG0047_zps1f3c502e.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s534.photobucket.com/user/JD762/media/IMG_0165_zpsce9595ff.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee345/JD762/IMG_0165_zpsce9595ff.jpg</a>

Ive been to both, I was just at both only a few weeks ago. Walking the beach in Destin you see some seaweed washed up occasionally, when we walked Navarre it was tons of seaweed that was interlaced with just as much trash, broken glass and plastic products. I parked at the peir and walked east about 2 miles (yes I know its suposedly forbidden) and the beaches were littered with more garbage than Ive seen on beaches in third world countries.

Currents and wave action brings in seaweed/trash. A few weeks ago we had some serious surf and STRONG SE winds which brought in the sargassum grass. It has NOTHING to do with it being Navarre, Destin, or sandbars. I WORK on both beaches. As long as the weather is nice Im on one or the other or Pensacola beach daily, sometimes two different beaches in the same day.

But I guess youre the expert.

Here is a picture I took of the rough surf a few weeks back. That was a serious system that moved through and brought the grass. It doesnt bother me because grass means mahi mahi and sailfish close to the beach that I can get to from my kayak!

" />
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If  you have kids check out the Gulfarium.

http://www.gulfarium.com/
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
You HAVE to have a vehicle of your own. There are long stretches of beach with next to nothing in them and there's no way you can walk all the way to other areas that have more going on.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd pick Navarre if you are looking for some where quiet and not as crowded.  Still close to Destin and Pensacola.  Traffic isn't quite as bad as Destin.  Restraunts suck in Navarre though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#49]
30a is the area you are looking for - not in destin proper
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currents and wave action brings in seaweed/trash. A few weeks ago we had some serious surf and STRONG SE winds which brought in the sargassum grass. It has NOTHING to do with it being Navarre, Destin, or sandbars. I WORK on both beaches. As long as the weather is nice Im on one or the other or Pensacola beach daily, sometimes two different beaches in the same day.

But I guess youre the expert.

Here is a picture I took of the rough surf a few weeks back. That was a serious system that moved through and brought the grass. It doesnt bother me because grass means mahi mahi and sailfish close to the beach that I can get to from my kayak!

http://<a href=http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee345/JD762/IMAG0152_zps716edc27.jpg</a>" />

What day did you take that pic?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top