Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/2/2020 2:58:59 PM EDT
As a mark of respect and recognition, Dictionary.com announced in a press release Tuesday that it has updated its language to include capitalizing the word "Black." The word also is now a separate entry, as it refers to a person, breaking with dictionary conventions to group together words that share the same origin.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
what about White?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
black

black

black

black
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
That's ironic, since everyone has some degree of brown skin pigmentation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What about blech?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
WHITE
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
It's an adjective, not a proper noun or title.

Fuck off you pandering social justice cunts.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
blac

the fact that there's a k in there seems racist
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
LOFL, FUCK ALL THAT SHIT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Dictionary.com is not my boss.

black
BbC
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
bLACK.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
how about all caps then?

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#15]
lol, I have been doing that since forever.  It is the same courtesy I extend to all races and colors.  Now democrat and liberal I will never uses caps for even at the start of a sentence.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Cops.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#17]
A black person, he be black. Are you black?

Hey white boy, you white deplorable Christian male.

They are right, lower case does seem racist...
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Fuck Off. Everyone knows negro isn't capitalized.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
What about asshole?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I noticed this in all the local papers about a month ago. Not sure when it started.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#21]
This is true of all races, ya illiterate bastard ??
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#22]
What about colored?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Where you guys home schooled or something?  

The names of the various racial or ethnic classifications/identities - Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, etc. - just like ancestry - Russian, German, British, American - have been capitalized for all my life.   More than half a century.  

And, in breaking news, we do the same with religious identities.  Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Yes, when you use the term "white" to describe White people, it too is capitalized.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Black Rifles Matter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll take my chances with the dictionary.com police.

They'd better bring SWAT.

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Honey, those Blacks are burning shit down again.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#28]
So in recognition of diversity they have determined that all black people are a monolith and the same?  How uhh woke? I guess
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol, I have been doing that since forever.  It is the same courtesy I extend to all races and colors.  Now democrat and liberal I will never uses caps for even at the start of a sentence.
View Quote

Names for races and ethnicities are usually are capitalized, e.g. Asian, Polynesian, Aboriginal, American Indian, Hispanic, etc.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]
But you’re  blick
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#31]
no.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#32]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I noticed this in all the local papers about a month ago. Not sure when it started.
View Quote

the AP changed their style guide about 2 months ago.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The names of the various racial or ethnic classifications/identities - Asian, Hispanic, Caucasian, etc. - just like ancestry - Russian, German, British, American - have been capitalized for all my life.   More than half a century.  

And, in breaking news, we do the same with religious identities.  Jewish, Christian, Muslim, etc.

Yes, when you use the term "white" to describe White people, it too is capitalized.
View Quote

I get what you're saying, but that would apply to African-American,  not black.  This is more akin to referring to Asians as "yellow people" and then determining that Yellow in reference to Asians needs to be capitalized.  Or that Brown needs to be capitalized for brown people.  I guess it's funny that black, white, and brown are ok descriptions, and yet yellow and red are racist, lol.  

We need a new system to replace white, black descriptors, as they never made any sense anyway.  Even really dark black people aren't black. The whitest white person is a very pale beige/pinkish unless they are dying/dead.  Maybe we need to drop the fake colors that divide us and go with...

low melanin peoples - caucasians, some hispanic, asian
mid melanin people's - hispanic, arab, asian, Jersey shore cast
high melanin people's - african, aborigine

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Lol, dictionary.com.

About as accurate as wikipedia.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

White and black are not "various racial or ethnic classifications/identities" neither are they "religious identitites", they are adjectives describing the color of one's skin. Adjectives are not capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence. Fuck off back to your public school system. I figure it was public school since you said "where you guys home schooled or something" instead of "were".
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cops.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Lower case used to be the polite form, because it deemphasized noticing ethnic blocks in favor of casual, incidental skin color. Times change.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#40]
And Democrat.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Our answer to these things should be to refer to people's color by the Sherwin Williams color guide. I'm referring to myself as "certain peach."

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family#/active/color-wall/section/sherwin-williams-colors/color/2312/sw-6625-certain-peach/

ETA: Morgan Freeman appears to be "reddened earth."
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

White and black are not "various racial or ethnic classifications/identities" neither are they "religious identitites", they are adjectives describing the color of one's skin. Adjectives are not capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence. Fuck off back to your public school system. I figure it was public school since you said "where you guys home schooled or something" instead of "were".
View Quote

I was poking fun at the tardation made the basis of this thread.  Dur.  

White and Black, in some contexts, are racial/ethnic classifications.   The very definition of "white people" as a racial classification means people of European/Western Eurasian descent.   It should be capitalized under the existing grammar rules.  

Same with breeds.   Airedale.  

Did I hit a nerve with the home schooled thing?   If so, blame your parents, not me, cause you clearly mist out on some of what dey call da basic book learnin.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Color me confused, I was under the impression calling them black was racist
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#44]
So is it Black terrorists. Or Black Terrorists?
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#45]
The AP Stylebook was just updated with the same rule: Black is uppercase, white is not.

I work in a job where I live and breathe the AP Stylebook. I don't agree with this decision, but it's not the first time I haven't agreed with one of their rulings. I also don't like using the % key instead of spelling out the word percent. Oh well, consistency is the thing . . . move along, nothing to see here . . .

https://blog.ap.org/announcements/the-decision-to-capitalize-black
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#46]
black people
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I got a mole on my arm. I ain't white nor black.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 15th meaning of "black" in the 1997 edition of the Random House Webster's College Dictionary is "(sometimes cap.) a. a member of any of various dark-skinned peoples, esp. those of Africa, Oceania, and Australia. b. African-American (def. 1)." For "white" it says, "21. a person whose racial heritage is Caucasian." These meanings all appear within the noun sections of the definitions for "white" and "black."
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

White and Black, in some contexts, are racial/ethnic classifications.   The very definition of "white people" as a racial classification means people of European/Western Eurasian descent.   It should be capitalized under the existing grammar rules.  

Did I hit a nerve with the home schooled thing?   If so, blame your parents, not me, cause you clearly mist out on some of what dey call da basic book learnin.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong. White and black are adjectives. Period. They do not describe a racial descent or nationality. A white man can be from dozens of countries. Equally so with a black man. They are as useful as describing an ethnicity or country of descent as hair or eye color. Which again, basic English news flash, are ADJECTIVES which remain lower cased.

Just because YOU want to fuck with the English language and how it functions, does not make it legitimate.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You're wrong. White and black are adjectives. Period. They do not describe a racial descent or nationality. A white man can be from dozens of countries. Equally so with a black man. They are as useful as describing an ethnicity or country of descent as hair or eye color. Which again, basic English news flash, are ADJECTIVES which remain lower cased.

Just because YOU want to fuck with the English language and how it functions, does not make it legitimate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dictionary disagrees. Read my prior post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top