Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I was going to say communism
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Any innovate has been copied by the rest since, or likely before, banging the rocks together.

The Slavs have had some cool ideas that we stole.  

It doesn't need to be a direct physical copy.   Most of the time it's just someone taking the concept and running with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sikorsky-designed helicopters.
View Quote

Igor Sikorsky was most certainly not a Bolshevik.

Just FWIW,his son is an absolute bloody legend. His memory at his age is incredible,these videos are fantastic;worth it just for the part about Howard Hughes and Ginger Rogers ??

Sergei Sikorsky Visits Kermit - Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43

Sergei Sikorsky Visits Kermit - Messerschmitt Bf-108 & Seversky P-35

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@CarmelBytheSea

Not mass issued but troops rolled their own and Thompsons had them well before WW2

My Dad circa 1970 somewhere in Vietnam

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/Y7JJEC.jpg
View Quote

The Vietnam era is a surprise for me. Thompson I plain forgot
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Igor Sikorsky emigrated from Russia in 1918. He's never been a Soviet citizen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Armor related ones I can think of offhand. They may not have been the pioneers but certainly ones that put them into general use.
1. Reactive armor such as Kontact 1 and 5. We adapted eventually with Blazer, TUSK 1/2.
2. Passive defense systems such as bar armor, laser sensors, and applique. We adapted eventually with TUSK 1/2 and for the sensor thing with the Boomerang (not a laser sensor though).  
3. Active protection systems such as Drodz and Arena. We are finally getting this online with the Trophy system.
4. Passive defense systems such as bar armor and Shtora. We have used the bar armor concept since Mid AFG time frame for bar armor and possibly the Desert Storm era for the Shtora via the USMC MCD. Not a huge success evidently.
5. Auto loaders. We later eventually used them on MGS.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Belvedere has a couple boutique brands out now, one is called Smogory Forest and the other is Lake Bartezek. I suppose if you're a super duper vodka snob you can tell the difference but I couldn't. Both excellent. The grocery store Belvedere is good enough by itself, IMO. Those are beyond that.
View Quote

Duly noted
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's a Romanian gun, not Soviet.

View Quote

Soviet bloc = close enough
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Depends on how you define it. You have general categories of equipment like reactive armor and active protection systems that were first developed by the Soviets (with the latter being deployed to Afghanistan in the early 80s) and then specifics like the Navy briefly using the KH-31 as a target drone.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Centralized tire inflation system. If you compare US and Soviet rolling stock from the 1970-80 era, their trucks were also far more capable off road, using super single tires for low ground pressure. This was necessary, since east bloc roads were so crappy, and the terrain they traversed was mostly open country.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#16]
They had a good idea with that chest mag pouch thing. We still had mags on the belt when I was in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Theres definitely a few Soviet designs we should copy but haven't.

-Hand grenades with fuse initiated impact function: after 1-1.5s burn, the grenade becomes impact initiated. So safe to drop, but on a long throw it goes off on impact so the enemy cant throw it back / allows it to be used against enemies on hills without grenade rolling off target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGN_hand_grenade

View Quote

Just don’t go fishing with one
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Didn't they invent the helmet-mounted missile targeting system for fighters?

There is a few things in rocketry they were the first to do as well
View Quote

You had to think in Russian.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the concepts of radar stealth were developed by a Russian scientist
View Quote

We totally used the Soviet research into stealth.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Americans looked at the STG-44 and said LOL No Way!

Then the Soviets shat forth a mountain of Kalashnikovs and after the US encountered them, thought golly, maybe a box magazine fed Garand isn’t the hotness we thought it was…
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Americans looked at the STG-44 and said LOL No Way!

Then the Soviets shat forth a mountain of Kalashnikovs and after the US encountered them, thought golly, maybe a box magazine fed Garand isn’t the hotness we thought it was…
View Quote

Very forward thinking IMO and would have saved us 20+ years of nonsense to come to same conclusion. M2 carbine would have been a good jumping off point though.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The optical IRST system used in Mig-29's and Sukhois is just now being adopted by the west.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/German_MIG-29_Nose.jpg

The west is also moving towards an area denial strategy the soviet used for land based air defense. We can no long guarantee numerical or tactical air superiority in theaters like the SCS.

View Quote

*Laughs in F-101, F-102, F-106, F4, F8, and F-14D*

Attachment Attached File

Edit: I was obviously late to the mule beating.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Tetris
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly, my first thought as well
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BMP concept
View Quote

The 60s/70s/80s dismissive attitude of the concept while at the same time tripping all over ourselves to come up with one is laughable. We caught on eventually though.
15+ years after until it came to fruition.

SDM concept is another one that springs to mind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Ejection seats on fighter jets perhaps?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
SDM concept is another one that springs to mind.
View Quote
Yep.
SVD was doing work, while the US was dicking around trying to find a decent M14 scope mount.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:43:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Just FWIW,his son is an absolute bloody legend. His memory at his age is incredible,these videos are fantastic;worth it just for the part about Howard Hughes and Ginger Rogers ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ae_-nfmINo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZjvUpa1gw

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ae_-nfmINo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sZjvUpa1gw

Sikorsky's son Sergei was my translator at the World Helicopter Championships (can't remember if it was the Castle Ashby event in the UK or Paris--I was at both) when I interviewed members of the Soviet Union's team.

It was pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ejection seats on fighter jets perhaps?
View Quote
Nope, that was ze Germans (although a Romanian guy actually invented the ejection seat).
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The optical IRST system used in Mig-29's and Sukhois is just now being adopted by the west.

The west is also moving towards an area denial strategy the soviet used for land based air defense. We can no long guarantee numerical or tactical air superiority in theaters like the SCS.

View Quote

F-106 IRST laughs at you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Russians didn't even invent vodka; the Polish did.
View Quote

Neutral grain alcohol has been around a lot longer than Russia and Poland. I don't think anybody can claim it with any degree of certainty.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
A few countries have bought a US made RPG-7 copy, AirTronic PSRL-1

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/PSRL_Feature-e1543255553574_jpg-1944775.JPG
You can tell it's American because it has 15 rails on it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Armor related ones I can think of offhand. They may not have been the pioneers but certainly ones that put them into general use.
1. Reactive armor such as Kontact 1 and 5. We adapted eventually with Blazer, TUSK 1/2.
2. Passive defense systems such as bar armor, laser sensors, and applique. We adapted eventually with TUSK 1/2 and for the sensor thing with the Boomerang (not a laser sensor though).  
3. Active protection systems such as Drodz and Arena. We are finally getting this online with the Trophy system.
4. Passive defense systems such as bar armor and Shtora. We have used the bar armor concept since Mid AFG time frame for bar armor and possibly the Desert Storm era for the Shtora via the USMC MCD. Not a huge success evidently.
View Quote

I am curious how operating APSs like Trophy get balanced with maintaining a reduced EM signature. With all the EW shit the Russians are using, an APS seems like it would be as much of a hinderance as it would be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Slat armor dates back to WWII, when the Soviets used bedsprings and fence sections and whatever else was handy to disrupt panzerfausts.

Attachment Attached File

The Germans tried some mesh armor as well, as an alternative to their widely used plate skirts
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Our century fighters had IRST systems on them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our century fighters had IRST systems on them.

The first use of an IRST system appears to be the F-101 Voodoo, F-102 Delta Dagger and F-106 Delta Dart interceptors. The F-106 had an early IRST mounting replaced in 1963 with a production retractable mount.[2] The IRST was also incorporated into the Vought F-8 Crusader (F-8E variant) which allowed passive tracking of heat emissions and was similar to the later Texas Instruments AAA-4 installed on early F-4 Phantoms.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No,the South Africans invented it and the Soviets saw how much of an advantage it gave their Mirages over Angola and made a crash program to develop their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't they invent the helmet-mounted missile targeting system for fighters?

No,the South Africans invented it and the Soviets saw how much of an advantage it gave their Mirages over Angola and made a crash program to develop their own.
I didn't know that, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Igor Sikorsky
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

He was here when he did.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Slat armor dates back to WWII, when the Soviets used bedsprings and fence sections and whatever else was handy to disrupt panzerfausts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/T-34-85_235_berlin_jpg-1945144.JPG

The Germans tried some mesh armor as well, as an alternative to their widely used plate skirts
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/mesh_jpeg-1945155.JPG
View Quote

You are thinking that these two concepts are the same? Soviet concept was to disrupt HEAT penetrating jet while German Concept was to break up 14.5mm penetration.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#43]
State Secret Police.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
State Secret Police.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some radar and space program stuff
View Quote

Haha nooooo.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Top 3 vodka I've ever tried was at a party at the Russian embassy. Bartender didn't know English so I just kept pointing at my glass for more. I tried asking what brand it was but I couldn't understand him so I guess theoretically it could been Polish. Anyway, what Polish vodka does GD recommend? My step Dad was a Smirnoff guy and my Dad drank the Swedish brands like Absolute
View Quote
I enjoy Belvedere at the top end but frankly I have a hard time justifying the extra cost over Luksosowa. Sobieski is IMHO on par with goose but MUCH cheaper and it's what I keep in my decanters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:00:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The Russians didn’t even invent vodka; the Polish did.
View Quote

And we all know, any time you find four Polish together.... you find a fifth.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top