[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americans looked at the STG-44 and said LOL No Way!

Then the Soviets shat forth a mountain of Kalashnikovs and after the US encountered them, thought golly, maybe a box magazine fed Garand isn't the hotness we thought it was

Very forward thinking IMO and would have saved us 20+ years of nonsense to come to same conclusion. M2 carbine would have been a good jumping off point though.

If really forward looking...
http://shuffsparkerizing.com/wp-content/gallery/mag-fed/012mg62nutmegport1500.jpg
in .276 Pederson.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EM-2_rifle

Bullpup, lightweight, high-velocity intermediate cartridge, standard-issue optical sight

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

But the RPG-7 wasn't an "invention" so much as a development - after all, it was the 7th model of a handheld anti-tank rocket launcher, with the RPG-2 being the first model actually fielded by the Soviets.  The Bazooka was the first, though the Soviet RPG series was a definite refinement, being much quicker and easier to load.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. We literally copied some of their mobile bridging equipment during the Cold War.

In more modern terms, we had RPG-7s produced in US under contract for FMA.

But the RPG-7 wasn't an "invention" so much as a development - after all, it was the 7th model of a handheld anti-tank rocket launcher, with the RPG-2 being the first model actually fielded by the Soviets.  The Bazooka was the first, though the Soviet RPG series was a definite refinement, being much quicker and easier to load.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Even though everyone calls the RPG-7 a rocket propelled grenade, the projectile isn't even rocket propelled.

And the RPG-2 was a soviet copy of a German weapon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though everyone calls the RPG-7 a rocket propelled grenade, the projectile isn't even rocket propelled.

The RPG-2/7 are far closer to a very refined Panzerfaust, the RPG-16 is basically a RPG-7 crossed with a Bazooka, and the later RPGs are either "inspired by" the US LAW, Swedish AT4, and Israeli B-300. Though they really got ahead of us with tandem warheads and thermobaric payloads. There are now thermobaric options for the LAW and I assume for the AT4 and Carl-G as well (though I'm not sure off the top of my head).

For non-guided munitions the RPG-7D (takedown version) is pretty much ideal except for some minor ergonomic issues that could be fixed in an Americanized weapon of the same basic design. Light, ability to launch a wide variety of payloads, very simple and cheap to make, and reusable. Add better materials and more efficient rockets and you'd have a real winner.

Though the new lightened Carl G is pretty amazing as well, and probably a better fit for US service if we actually issue it in wide numbers.

I want to see a multi-launcher Carl-G setup, like a Ontos turret but small enough to fit on a smaller vehicle RWS
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The US had been testing auto-loading tanks since before WW2
View Quote

True but we are speaking of actually putting these things to practical use. While on that topic
6. Composite armor arrays.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Putting men in space

View Quote

Women too technically
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Russians stole everything from Germany.
View Quote

So did we
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bullpup, lightweight, high-velocity intermediate cartridge, standard-issue optical sight

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/British_Assault_Rifles_MOD_45162602.jpg
View Quote

It would have been interesting to see mass production and adoption of those rifles. They would have had to have worked out some bugs. But I would have liked to have seen it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

True but we are speaking of actually putting these things to practical use. While on that topic
6. Composite armor arrays.
View Quote

Nvrmnd misread
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

So did we
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did we

It all came down to which captured NAZI scientist your side got...
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Built-in wire cutter on bayonet scabbards was inspired by Soviet model, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

On 29 July 1955, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announced through his press secretary that, during the International Geophysical Year (IGY), the United States would launch an artificial satellite. Four days later, Leonid Sedov, a leading Soviet physicist, announced that they too would launch an artificial satellite. On 8 August, the Politburo of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union approved the proposal to create an artificial satellite.
View Quote
The Soviets got to Berlin before we did. That means they got first dibs on Nazi rocket scientists and we got the leftovers. The Russians were absolutely ahead of us in the space race at the start but it was German brains that put them there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Soviets got to Berlin before we did. That means they got first dibs on Nazi rocket scientists and we got the leftovers. The Russians were absolutely ahead of us in the space race at the start but it was German brains that put them there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/deOINby-52.gif

On 29 July 1955, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announced through his press secretary that, during the International Geophysical Year (IGY), the United States would launch an artificial satellite. Four days later, Leonid Sedov, a leading Soviet physicist, announced that they too would launch an artificial satellite. On 8 August, the Politburo of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union approved the proposal to create an artificial satellite.

Sergei Korolev was the father of the Soviet space program.

Depending on who you ask, ours is either Jack Parsons, or Wernher von Braun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The Engines That Came In From The Cold - And how The NK-33/RD-180 Came To The USA
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So did we
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So did we

Like what?
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I read somewhere that we reverse engineered this antitank grenade but never put it into production

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

RPG isn't in English. In Russian it is an acronym which means hand-held anti-tank grenade-thrower.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RPG isn't in English. In Russian it is an acronym which means hand-held anti-tank grenade-thrower.

This.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Cool, didn't know that.

???-7, ?????? ??????????????? ?????????? – Ruchnoy Protivotankoviy Granatomyot
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:45:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cool, didn't know that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Cool, didn't know that.

If you're studying Russian, as I recall, have some fun with the root word for that "myot" part, it's the verb "??????." Damn near impossible to translate. I person can ?????? a spear, or a stick, and sometimes a sack or a bundle. Possible a rock, but not really, maybe if underhand, like a lob. And... here's the kicker... it's a verb for what a bird does with its eggs. So, it's a grenade layer. Edit.. actually, I don't think it works for birds. That was a brain fart. But it is the verb for fish laying eggs, though. I guess it's the imagery of the projection.

Edit 2. Here's a reference with context sentences. https://ru.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/??????
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Of you're studying Russian, as I recall, have some fun with the root word for that "myot" part, it's the verb "??????." Damn near impossible to translate. I person can ?????? a spear, or a stick, and sometimes a sack or a bundle. Possible a rock, but not really, maybe if underhand, like a lob. And... here's the kicker... it's a verb for what a bird does with its eggs. So, it's a grenade layer. Edit.. actually, I don't think it works for birds. That was a brain fart. But it is the verb for fish laying eggs, though. I guess it's the imagery of the projection.

Edit 2. Here's a reference with context sentences. https://ru.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/??????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Cool, didn't know that.

Of you're studying Russian, as I recall, have some fun with the root word for that "myot" part, it's the verb "??????." Damn near impossible to translate. I person can ?????? a spear, or a stick, and sometimes a sack or a bundle. Possible a rock, but not really, maybe if underhand, like a lob. And... here's the kicker... it's a verb for what a bird does with its eggs. So, it's a grenade layer. Edit.. actually, I don't think it works for birds. That was a brain fart. But it is the verb for fish laying eggs, though. I guess it's the imagery of the projection.

I am, but haven't much lately....the apps only take you so far. Need to converse with the wife in Russian to really get it to sink in. ^ this all sounds about right for Russian though lol
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you're studying Russian, as I recall, have some fun with the root word for that "myot" part, it's the verb "??????." Damn near impossible to translate. I person can ?????? a spear, or a stick, and sometimes a sack or a bundle. Possible a rock, but not really, maybe if underhand, like a lob. And... here's the kicker... it's a verb for what a bird does with its eggs. So, it's a grenade layer. Edit.. actually, I don't think it works for birds. That was a brain fart. But it is the verb for fish laying eggs, though. I guess it's the imagery of the projection.

View Quote

It's not unusual for a word like this, in many languages, to be used for unrelated, though figuratively similar, applications. Kind of like saying "throwing together dinner", or "throwing a dinner". In that case the word "throwing" means putting things together in a fast haphazard way. If you think this Russian word is "near impossible to translate", imagine how you learned the meaning of the English word "to throw" given the multiple different meanings it has.

In any case, the Russian word for "machine gun" literally means "bullet thrower".
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Vodka.
View Quote

Predates the USSR by just a little bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not unusual for a word like this, in many languages, to be used for unrelated, though figuratively similar, applications. Kind of like saying "throwing together dinner", or "throwing a dinner". In that case the word "throwing" means putting things together in a fast haphazard way. If you think this Russian word is "near impossible to translate", imagine how you learned the meaning of the English word "to throw" given the multiple different meanings it has.

In any case, the Russian word for "machine gun" literally means "bullet thrower".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Take" is another one in english.

For most Russian verbs I can conceptualize a consistent metaphorical meaning to help me remember when to use it. ?????? completely trips me up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In terms of any sort of military equipment.
View Quote

Well, in case it has not been said: The Satellite
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are correct. A soviet mathematician worked out the equations you could use to model how much light would refract off of different geometric shapes. Soviet military looked at it, said "this has no military purposes, go ahead and publish it worldwide" because apparently the commies forgot that radar and light are both electromagnetic phenomena. Some dude at Lockheed saw it and snapped it right up to make the Have Blue model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may not be remembering correctly, but Have Blue stealth was based off of a Soviet mathematicians works

You are correct. A soviet mathematician worked out the equations you could use to model how much light would refract off of different geometric shapes. Soviet military looked at it, said "this has no military purposes, go ahead and publish it worldwide" because apparently the commies forgot that radar and light are both electromagnetic phenomena. Some dude at Lockheed saw it and snapped it right up to make the Have Blue model.

Yep:

"To design the aircraft, the Skunk Works' design team leveraged the mathematics published by Soviet physicist and mathematician Petr Ufimtsev regarding the reflection of electromagnetic waves.[1] A stealth engineer at Lockheed, Denys Overholser, had read the publication and realized that Ufimtsev had created the mathematical theory and tools to do finite analysis of radar reflection."

A lot more detail in Ben Rich's book, Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Basketball
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
30 round magazine
View Quote

What weird is that the US ran 30rds all through WW2 in the Grease Gun, and also knew that both the STG44 an AK47 used 20rd mags.

Meanwhile, we used 20rd mags in 7.62 M14's, and then developed 5.56 because it was 1/2 the weight of 7.62...and rather then embracing greatness and issuing 40rd mags as standard, went full retard and ran 20's in 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#29]
If I recall correctly, I believe the Soviets originated the idea of 30 rounds as a standard magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It would have been interesting to see mass production and adoption of those rifles. They would have had to have worked out some bugs. But I would have liked to have seen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/British_Assault_Rifles_MOD_45162602.jpg

The EM-2 was officially adopted as the standard service arm of the British Army, but the fit the US threw over a non-.30 cartridge got it un-adopted very quickly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, I believe the Soviets originated the idea of 30 rounds as a standard magazine capacity.
View Quote
The idea of 30+ round magazines is far older. Several WW1 and interwar smgs had 30 or more capacity. The M1 Carbine had 30-round mags. The German Stg and MP series guns all had 30 or 32 round magazines standard.

Not even remotely a Soviet invention.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah I think the US initially kept the 20rd capacity for the AR because semi-auto marksmanship was the primary training doctrine, and it allowed for a lower position in prone (therefore rendering the rifleman a smaller target, theoretically).
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top