Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/17/2023 12:16:25 PM EDT
This was a real type of TEOTWAWKI event that I had no idea happened! Blew my mind to learn of it.

They suspect simultaneous volcano eruptions caused it. Around the world the sun barely shown. crops died, people starved, bitter cold, red rain, the moon was almost non existent. Real life apocalyptic events.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_winter_of_536

Long vid but educational.
536 AD: The Year That The Sun Disappeared | Catastrophe | Real History
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The sun looked crazy for me last evening! Weird cloud cover, turned it into an orange. You could stare right at it!.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The sun looked crazy for me last evening! Weird cloud cover, turned it into an orange. You could stare right at it!.
https://i.ibb.co/cFT5nb1/20230516-184043.jpg
View Quote

Sulfates.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
AD 536
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
First off, let me just say f this BCE and CE crap.   That and the $ at the right end of the numbers like some Euro BS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Also maybe smoke from the wildfires in Canada right now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could stare right at it!.
View Quote

In before cataracts.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
It's AD, not that antitheist CE bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
AD 536
View Quote

Thank you and fuck the PC BCE & CE crap.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Unbunch your panties you freaks. It was a cut and paste.

CE corrected to AD

Happy?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Smoke from Alberta? That's what we had here this morning.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#11]
*shrugs*

Even today the Earth is capable of killing millions if not billions if she decided to have a bad day. Granted we're a bit more resilient than 1500 years ago but crops still need proper sun and temps to grow
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Jesus Fucking Christ

AE, BC, Hi-C

Who the fuck cares? We all knew what OP meant.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#13]
It's kind of astonishing we've survived as a species at all when you really think about it.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
BCE and CE don’t refer to ‘Christ Era’?

On a related note wonder if this event helped fuel the Viking age.   A theory is that there was global cooling that took place that turned the Scandinavian countries colder.  The change in climate made the land unable to support the population so people turned viking in order to survive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
AD 536
View Quote

Yes. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I came across this factoid while watching some videos about post-Roman Britain which led me down that rabbit hole, which led to even more as many events are supposedly linked to it’s happening. One being the beginning of bubonic plague making its way into Rome and other areas in Europe
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

No they don't.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BCE and CE don't refer to 'Christ Era'?

On a related note wonder if this event helped fuel the Viking age.   A theory is that there was global cooling that took place that turned the Scandinavian countries colder.  The change in climate made the land unable to support the population so people turned viking in order to survive.
View Quote
"C" is for Common, not Christ.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

BCE=Before Common Era
CE=Common Era

These were used to replace BC/AD, Before Christ and Anno Domini (in the year of the Lord) by antitheists.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Non nobis domine
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BCE and CE don't refer to 'Christ Era'?

View Quote

Note to self:
Add durable sailboat to preps.

P.S. Learn to sail.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Volcano erupted, no summer. Not apocalyptic but still pretty crazy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

--snip--
View Quote

That's how I refer to them

BCE - Before the Christ Era
CE  - the Christ Eara

Makes the most sense.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#24]
There have been several of these events. People think they can't happen again which is hilarious to me.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#25]
That's the thing that most people don't realize about SHTF, it already HAS happened multiple times in the past. But at least back then there were less people so you could still run off into the hills and survive. All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There have been several of these events. People think they can't happen again which is hilarious to me.
View Quote

The last 3 years should give you an idea of just how forgetful humans are. Just look at how everyone pretends the covid lockdowns and riots never even happened, and it wasn't even that long ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if you're a Muslim, or Jewish, or one of the tons of other religions that don't use Christ as a date marker?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jesus Fucking Christ

AE, BC, Hi-C

Who the fuck cares? We all knew what OP meant.
View Quote

This is GD, where they pick the fly shit out of the pepper every chance they get.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What if you're a Muslim, or Jewish, or one of the tons of other religions that don't use Christ as a date marker?
View Quote

Continue to live their lives as they did before they changed to BCE and CE?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is a standard part of western civilization. Those groups in the west have had no issue using the terms, until recently as both of them recognize Christ was an actual person.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

CE  - the Christ Eara

Makes the most sense.

View Quote

Before Christ

Anno Domini - (in the year of our Lord)
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Before Christ

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CE  - the Christ Eara

Makes the most sense.

Before Christ

Yes I grew up on BC/AD

but if they feel a need to change it then "Christ Era" works well

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It is a standard part of western civilization. Those groups in the west have had no issue using the terms, until recently as both of them recognize Christ was an actual person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems like a more accurate term to me. The numbering system has changed before, no reason it can't change again.

The Anno Domini dating system was devised in 525 by Dionysius Exiguus to enumerate years in his Easter table. His system was to replace the Diocletian era that had been used in older Easter tables, as he did not wish to continue the memory of a tyrant who persecuted Christians
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#35]
TIL: shit happens throughout history and people get really mad about simple things.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#36]
I've always heard BCE as "Before Christ the Evangelical"
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Yet we all made it through!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

BCE=Before Common Era
CE=Common Era

These were used to replace BC/AD, Before Christ and Anno Domini (in the year of the Lord) by antitheists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BCE=Before Common Era
CE=Common Era

While still keeping the same start date in the calendar...

"Christ Era" is perfectly cromulent trolling of such idiocy.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There was a huge kill off of early humans where only one small population was left.
A huge amount of human genetic diversity was lost.
View Quote
I believe that was the Toba Tambora supervolcano eruption.

536 is presumed to be a resultof  Krakatoa.   The 1880s blow was something like 180 dba at 100 miles,  and 315 dba at the source.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
There was a huge kill off of early humans where only one small population was left.
View Quote

The thought is that Mount Toba had something to do with it.  Big ass volcano near the Equator, so ash got shoved into both Hadley cells.  

It'll happen again.  Maybe even at Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I believe that was the Tambora supervolcano eruption.

536 is presumed to be a resultof  Krakatoa.   The 1880s blow was something like 180 dba at 100 miles,  and 315 dba at the source.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tambora was 1815.  Basically a super-sized Mt. Saint Helen's event.  Dropped the volcano from (estimated) 14,000 feet up to a little over 9,000 feet high.  Year w/o a summer.

Krakatoa was 1883.  Island basically disappeared in gigantically loud explosion as you describe.  Bad times for anyone w/in 30-100 miles of it.  Tidal waves killed mid 5-digits of people.

No idea which one was the 536 event.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Man, only 60 years after the fall of Rome.  Tough times.
View Quote
Only the western empire fell. The Eastern Empire rocked on for over 700 more years.

Interesting observation...  Byzantiums final fall coincided with the Renaissance.   Some believe that a lot of that start was provided by intellectuals fleeing from Byzantiums fall.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Only the western empire fell. The Eastern Empire rocked on for over 700 more years.

Interesting observation...  Byzantiums final fall coincided will the Renaissance.   Some believe that a lot of that start was provided by intellectuals fleeing from Byzantiums fall.
View Quote

It's the Turks fault.

Everything bad that ever happened is the Turks fault.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Tambora was 1815.  Basically a super-sized Mt. Saint Helen's event.  Dropped the volcano from (estimated) 14,000 feet up to a little over 9,000 feet high.  Year w/o a summer.

Krakatoa was 1883.  Island basically disappeared in gigantically loud explosion as you describe.  Bad times for anyone w/in 30-100 miles of it.  Tidal waves killed mid 5-digits of people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My brain fart, Toba!  Corrected!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#48]
It was Sauron!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same thing here in New Hampshire.   Diluted looking sky all day, and beautiful orange sunset when it got near the horizon.    

Must be huge wildfires in Canada.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was truly a catastrophe.  Only two of the many human genders survived and only two still survive to this very day.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top