Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Cummins 5.9 has one of the most solid reps for pickup motors followed by the 7.3 Power stroke.  This is based on my experience and that of my son who works on diesels for a living.

Outside of the auto industry type diesels I do have some first hand experience with marine diesels, Yanmar (JD) and Beta (Kubota).  Both have a high reliability.

Kubota is my first choice. Cheapest for parts compared to one of the most expensive diesels to own, Volvo .
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends we have all three common diesels in our fleets for “Medium” Duty.  They  all tow daily and honestly as far as the engine/trans goes, haven’t been any issues that stick out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#4]
From your criteria, assuming a "normal vehicle", a 6BT is hard to beat. The Mercedes OM606 is supposed to be a pretty sweet little engine, too.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kubota + Ford Fiesta!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPuv_6bZKwY
View Quote

Plus boost!

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Lister.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#7]
A lot depends on the maintenance that the engine gets!!!  Good maintenance and they last a LONG time!
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What years and models should I be looking for, if I was thinking about buying a used car, pulling the ALH engine out to put in something else, then either parting the car out or selling it to a salvage yard?

My experience is limited to the 1.6 normally aspirated diesels used in the Rabbits and Jettas in the 1980s.
View Quote

99 to 04

they're super simple, kermatdi can do an immobilizer delete so you don't have to worry about keys/cluster.

my only concern at this point is lots of them haven't been maintained in years, and lack people keeping the fuel filters drained of water is starting to screw up the injection pumps. I've had more problems with the low milers and intown drivers then the ones who put big miles.

this might be worse if its been sitting in a yard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I vote the 71 series Detroit's with Yanmar a close second. Those ThermoKing refrigeration units are extremely reliable if maintained.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Old school MB220 4cyl they used in German taxi cabs for many years.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
6.2 / 6.5 Detroit Diesel found in mid 80s CUCVs and HMMWVs seem pretty robust.  I've also heard good things about the 4BT and 6BT engines.
View Quote

Uh..maybe I have the wrong generation but the 6.2 and 6.5 TD were GM engines and SUCKED ASS.  I had a 93? 3500 with that engine, stranded me at least 5 times in less than two years.  Went to the mechanic after the 3rd time instead of me replacing all the electronic injection wiring.  He worked on it twice and had the same result.  He couldn't find anything wrong either.  I moved the injector harness away from the top of the motor and everything.  I said fuck it and got a cummins, "so far" never left me totally stranded in 13 years (I put in quotes because my luck sucks and I opened my mouth...).  I did have to drive without a clutch, no power steering, and blew a radiator but it did last long enough to get me home.  Has almost 300k on it, chevy didn't have more than 150k.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Perkins
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#13]

This gave diesels a bad wrap ..... thanks GM....
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I have experience with Fairbanks, Paxmans, DD, cummins, Manns, MTU's and Yanmar.  MTU's and Yanmar for sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

99 to 04

they're super simple, kermatdi can do an immobilizer delete so you don't have to worry about keys/cluster.

my only concern at this point is lots of them haven't been maintained in years, and lack people keeping the fuel filters drained of water is starting to screw up the injection pumps. I've had more problems with the low milers and intown drivers then the ones who put big miles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What years and models should I be looking for, if I was thinking about buying a used car, pulling the ALH engine out to put in something else, then either parting the car out or selling it to a salvage yard?

My experience is limited to the 1.6 normally aspirated diesels used in the Rabbits and Jettas in the 1980s.

99 to 04

Thanks.  I saw injection pump problems with the 1.6 NA engines, though it's hard to say if they were due to miles and maintenance, or the changes in the fuel to meet EPA standards (the early 1980s injection pump seals apparently don't like something in the newer fuel).  Didn't have any problems after I swapped the injection pumps for fresh overhauled pumps.

I've been debating whether to go 1.9 VW or 3.0 M-B to replace my 4.0 straight six, and I think I've dealt with the existing electronics long enough to ease up a bit on my desire for 1980s diesel simplicity.  The lighter engine will also help offset the weight of the winch, when I get it mounted.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#16]
12 or 24 valve 5.9L Cummins Diesel.
Best Light Truck diesel engine ever produced for reliability.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Uhh....Every single thing in this post is nonsense. Like all of it.
View Quote

In before the "Bro the 6.2 was a 350 with an injection pump bolted on."  
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Fairbanks Morris. Opposed piston goodness.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#20]
For pickup trucks, I'd say cummins.

When I drove fire trucks, the 60 series detroit was by far my favorite, as opposed to the 92 series detroits, old cat, and newer cummins engines.

Just getting into diesel boating, but in the smaller stuff, cummins seems to be the gold standard, followed by Yanmar, then Cat.  My current boat has Hino engines, and by all accounts they are reliable however not very common. For the older stuff, 6-71 detroits were probably the most common and seem to run forever as long as you keep putting the oil back in them...

Your best bet is anything pre-emissions that's not a cat 3208.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Big truck engines? Pre-emission the Detroit 60 Series/Caterpillar 3406E and the Cummins N14 were some damned great engines, capable of lasting 1 million miles.

Those DD 2 strokers were lucky to get a half million miles out of them. But they were rather simple too to rebuild.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks.  I saw injection pump problems with the 1.6 NA engines, though it's hard to say if they were due to miles and maintenance, or the changes in the fuel to meet EPA standards (the early 1980s injection pump seals apparently don't like something in the newer fuel).  Didn't have any problems after I swapped the injection pumps for fresh overhauled pumps.

I've been debating whether to go 1.9 VW or 3.0 M-B to replace my 4.0 straight six, and I think I've dealt with the existing electronics long enough to ease up a bit on my desire for 1980s diesel simplicity.  The lighter engine will also help offset the weight of the winch, when I get it mounted.
View Quote

the seals still leak since the change to ultra low Sulphur. they really aren't hard to replace. did some yesterday 350k plus on that one. getting belt 4.

however plugged manifolds have virtually vanished.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
John Deere 6.6L found in the 4020s.

CAT C15 6NZ.

Either will make 5.9 Cummins look unreliable.
View Quote

I cannot disagree. I got to estimating hours on our old 4020’s once. Before we sold them I estimated they both had over 30k hours. Heads never off.  

Them c15s were sweet. Only ever got to drive 1. They never broke down is why I never got to run very many.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In before the "Bro the 6.2 was a 350 with an injection pump bolted on."  
View Quote

Actually a 5.7...
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I can’t believe GM 6.5 or 5.7 diesels even got mentioned in a reliability thread. That’s the joke right?

Good hell them things were awful. Start like shit, change glow plugs and check the oil. Always a good time when some poor sap gave her the ether bunny treatment. Bent fucking rodz fo days.......lol.

Can you tell I don’t miss them fucking things?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I can’t believe GM 6.5 or 5.7 diesels even got mentioned in a reliability thread. That’s the joke right?

Good hell them things were awful. Start like shit, change glow plugs and check the oil. Always a good time when some poor sap gave her the ether bunny treatment. Bent fucking rodz fo days.......lol.

Can you tell I don’t miss them fucking things?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
under current production?

impossible to say. none of them have been around long enough to know.

historically.

this little motor.

https://cdn.drivingline.com/media/2323598/bosch-ve-injection-pump-volkswagen-alh-diesel.jpg

I see these things with 300k plus miles, all the damn time. weekly. I have one in the shop now getting a window regulator.
View Quote
They are phenomenal engines.
My last one went 502,000 miles (no major engine or transmission repairs, all original internal parts and turbo) before my starter stuck and burned the engine bay.
I have another that has well over 300,000 and still runs strong.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not even close. The 6.0 Powerstroke and all subsequent Navistar "Maxxforce" engines are a crime against humanity.
View Quote

The last year of the DT466 with the mechanical pump was a great engine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#29]
6NZ Cat

ETA Beat like a $2 hooker
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Lister
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Those weren’t Detroit’s they were GM engines. They broke cranks and mains for the power they made. The 6.5’s ate pumps. The military version of that engine was a 6.7 a 6.2 with a stroked crank in it. The military 6.7 had a straight mechanical pump in it.
View Quote

They also blow head gaskets left and right with any kind of load and are huge pieces of shit
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
did someone say 'diesel engines'?

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]

I thought the fuel those things ran on was closer to road tar than diesel.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Professional diesel mechanic. Gotta go with Cummins. Seen quite a few million miles motors (semis). Easy to get parts, lots of I formation on them for some diy repairs. Everyone works on them, so it's easy to get them worked on.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Anything with emission stuff is about even anymore.  

I went through 12 air compressors yesterday to find one that didn’t have an emissions fault

Although those little 25hp Kubota diesels will run until the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Cummins then 7.3 powerstroke
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cummins then 7.3 powerstroke
View Quote

Go on...
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close. The 6.0 Powerstroke and all subsequent Navistar "Maxxforce" engines are a crime against humanity.

1997 and that was IH's "New Generation Diesel". Then the DT466E came out in 1998, still a decent engine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#39]
12v Cummins
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1997 and that was IH's "New Generation Diesel". Then the DT466E came out in 1998, still a decent engine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I like CAT engines more, I really had nothing against International diesels during that time frame. The International DT466 engine had proven itself in International equipment such at the TD-15 dozer and 412B scraper in the 1970s and 1980s. It also was well-received in the ag market. I remember at least one tractor that used it.

We ran a number of International diesels in our equipment. Most of them started well in the cold and had good longevity. One dozer had over 15,000 hard working, full throttle, hours on it when it was traded. The engine had never been rebuilt.

The DT466 set itself apart from other engines in the medium duty truck market by featuring such things at wet sleeves. For example, the CAT 3208 lacked wet sleeves.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's not saying much though.

Buddy of mine just traded off a '19 Ram 3500 diesel because it was in the shop non-stop with emissions issues.  It was in limp mode or on a rollback as much as it wasn't.

ALL new diesels are garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Typically the Cummins engine will last longer than the shitbox it's installed in.

That's not saying much though.

Buddy of mine just traded off a '19 Ram 3500 diesel because it was in the shop non-stop with emissions issues.  It was in limp mode or on a rollback as much as it wasn't.

ALL new diesels are garbage.

I was a fleet guy that worked on all manner of diesels. We rarely had any issues with
the actual engines it was all the exterior junk that caused problems. The first generation
emission systems were fucking horrible pretty much across all makes....

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought the fuel those things ran on was closer to road tar than diesel.
View Quote

Diesel engines are named after the Diesel engine cycle.  Those ship engines are Diesel cycle engines.  They are compression ignition engines that burn fuel oil.  Large ship engines tend to burn residual fuel oils like Bunker C or Number 6 fuel oil in American terminology or Six Oil.  Diesel fuel is the common name for number 2 fuel oil and is a distillate fuel oil.

Residual fuel oils are dense, viscous, and cheap fuel oils that are the remaining byproducts after all the lighter fuels are distilled away in atmospheric distillate towers and then in vacuum distilling towers.  You get to a point where you have something called vacuum tower bottoms or coker feed.  That stuff has to be heated pretty hot before it is a liquid and some of it is almost like glass at room temperature.

So large ships that consume massive quantities of fuel burn cheap and energy dense fuels like residual fuel oils that must be heated prior to pumping them and smaller diesel engines are designed to operate off of more expensive and refined distillate fuel oils that are easier to handle and burn.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Modern-Kubota

Perkins diesels were low tech but reliable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Kubota!  

I'd say you mean in vehicles though.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Detroit Diesel 671.

View Quote

My dad made a lot of money fixing those.  Turbo charged ones liked to break. So much oil leaking too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Modern-Kubota

Perkins diesels were low tech but reliable.
View Quote

Kubota DPF equipped engines aren’t spectacular.

Really Komatsu has that down pat.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What manufacturer produces the best diesel engine. "BEST" means most reliable , longest lasting, ease of maintenance , etc.  VS ( and not interested in ) highest HP, easiest to modify/tune , ultimate performance  etc.

Don't care about vehicle type / platform. Car, SUV, truck..... doesn't matter. Don't care about high tech features , fancy interiors , etc. Just who puts the best diesel engine in their product to get from point A to point B reliably  with as little fuss or concerns as possible.

View Quote

EMD

Starting a Locomotive engine Full Sequence: EMD SD40-2 Engine Start up and Shut down

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Kubota!  

I'd say you mean in vehicles though.
View Quote

I’ve got two. Wish they made a generator with the 722 in it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Diesel engines are named after the Diesel engine cycle.  Those ship engines are Diesel cycle engines.  They are compression ignition engines that burn fuel oil.  Large ship engines tend to burn residual fuel oils like Bunker C or Number 6 fuel oil in American terminology or Six Oil.  Diesel fuel is the common name for number 2 fuel oil and is a distillate fuel oil.

Residual fuel oils are dense, viscous, and cheap fuel oils that are the remaining byproducts after all the lighter fuels are distilled away in atmospheric distillate towers and then in vacuum distilling towers.  You get to a point where you have something called vacuum tower bottoms or coker feed.  That stuff has to be heated pretty hot before it is a liquid and some of it is almost like glass at room temperature.

So large ships that consume massive quantities of fuel burn cheap and energy dense fuels like residual fuel oils that must be heated prior to pumping them and smaller diesel engines are designed to operate off of more expensive and refined distillate fuel oils that are easier to handle and burn.
View Quote

Good info, thank you
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 11:14:08 PM EDT
[#50]
The old 3 cylinder Ford used in their tractors from about 1965-on.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top