Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
We have never used anyone but Discount Tire going on almost 40 years and dozens of vehicles.  Tire Rack never seemed to be that well priced after shipping, mounting and balancing.  That being said I think competition is always good and its sad to see Tire Rack being acquired.

Its sad for the South Bend area as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Factor in shipping, & wait times, I always got a better deal at a local tire place. Not all places will install tires not bought from them either. Learned that.
Though tire rack did have decent prices on rims.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been buying from both for years. Never had a problem with either company. Hopefully they won’t screw things up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
When I want a set of tires and wheels I have always used Tire Rack, never a problem.

I ordered a set of Performance tires from Discount tire, ship to store for install.
I get a call the day of appointment to confirm. I go drop car off, they make you pay up front, I walk next door to eat.
I return and they have installed different tires because the ones I ordered didn't show up. No call to ask me before doing it.
House brand tire not like the performance tires I ordered.
FDT
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I thought TR's GA distribution warehouse was in Savannah.

Either way, it is still cheaper to have them ship than go get them for me. 3+ hour drive one way
View Quote

The local one is in Doraville. It’s $64 off the price of you go pick them up.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
may be a great move!

I like Discount Tire.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I want a set of tires and wheels I have always used Tire Rack, never a problem.

I ordered a set of Performance tires from Discount tire, ship to store for install.
I get a call the day of appointment to confirm. I go drop car off, they make you pay up front, I walk next door to eat.
I return and they have installed different tires because the ones I ordered didn't show up. No call to ask me before doing it.
FDT
View Quote

Wow, that’s fucked up
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FDT
View Quote

Damn. What was the outcome? New tires when they finally came in, or at least a partial refund? I’d be pissed.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Your order didn't come with a 2 year road hazard warranty?

I've had multiple punctures and even a bent wheel and Tire Rack replaced the tire after I sent them some pictures of the damage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A “better” company? lol

Being as you had to pay someone to mount, balance and install the tires the cost savings quickly go out the door.  Purchased from TireRack once.  Within a week, granted not TireRack’s fault, I wound up picking up a very large nail that punctured from bottom of the tread and out the side wall of the tire.  Now I had a junk tire that I had to spend another $120ish to replace.  All of this to save around $10-15/tire.  YMMV

Your order didn't come with a 2 year road hazard warranty?

I've had multiple punctures and even a bent wheel and Tire Rack replaced the tire after I sent them some pictures of the damage.

Nope.  This was back in 1999.  Even if they had, it was my only car.  Not real helpful having to deal with shipping a warrantied tire back, waiting on a new one to be delivered and paying someone to mount and balance.  

Main reason I like Discount.  As mentioned they will price match and they have stores all over the US.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FDT
View Quote

And if you accepted that, that’s is on you.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Used Discount for years, and several purchases. Last two installations, or following a rotate/balance, I’ve had to remove a wheel to either fix a flat, or do a brake job. In both instances, I had lug nuts seize up and break off during removal from being way over-torqued.

After that, along with multiple trips back for rebalancing after tires were mounted or balanced, I said I’m done.

Went with Belle Tire for my latest purchase, and have been happy with them.
View Quote
Breaking lugs is a feature of Chrysler products.  What vehicle?

Discount tire uses torque sticks to get close and then has a manager or 'clean shirt' do final torque and sign off.  I have bought tons of tires from Discount for my fleet and they only fucked up once where they forgot to do final torque.

Rebalance is a feature of the actual tire.  Sometimes you are the windshield, sometime you are the bug.  My RAM developed a vibration at about 7K miles on the current set of BFG tires.  A rebalance fixed that right now.  Wheel weights did not fall off, it was normal tire wear. I mostly have never had tires rebalanced, this was a first for me.

I have never found a better deal at Tire Rack.  I usually get a quote from Costco and then have Discount beat it.  Those times are gone, you can only get a quote for actual inventory that is available, and some tire sizes and brands are pretty hard to get right now.  You lose any negotiating power.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Nothing should change for Tire Rack. Operate as usual.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked alllll over the internet for some new wheels for my truck... Looked locally as well.. Discount tire had the cheapest price by almost 100 dollars a wheel. Ive bought a couple sets of tires from them too... They have always been good to go for me. Hope nothing changes
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I looked alllll over the internet for some new wheels for my truck... Looked locally as well.. Discount tire had the cheapest price by almost 100 dollars a wheel. Ive bought a couple sets of tires from them too... They have always been good to go for me. Hope nothing changes
View Quote
Discount will often sell wheels at or below cost to sell the tires.  They always tell me to give them a chance to beat any offer, and they always have.  They will get you wheels that aren't on their website just bring in the manufacturer and part number.

Last year I put wheels and tires on the wife's truck.  She didn't like the wheels and took the truck back.  Discount put on wheels she liked, no additional charges for the  re-mount and balance.  They will bend over backwards to sell a set of tires.  This evolution started when the wheels they ordered would not fit over the large OEM disc brakes and calipers that Ram put on the all new 2019 models.  They actually did the labor three times.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Tire rack censors the tire reviews. I have done alright purchasing from both
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope.  This was back in 1999.  Even if they had, it was my only car.  Not real helpful having to deal with shipping a warrantied tire back, waiting on a new one to be delivered and paying someone to mount and balance.  

Main reason I like Discount.  As mentioned they will price match and they have stores all over the US.
View Quote

I've bought from Tire Rack twice in the last few years.

When some dickhead left a bunch of metal on the road and my tire got sliced, I hit up their customer service section of the website and submitted my question about the warranty. Within the hour I had an email with instructions on what to take pictures of for their warranty. Snapped the pictures and they shipped a new tire out that day. It arrived at the installer two days later.

I had another vehicle so I could wait on shipping, but if you can't I think they have other arrangements as well.

Discount Tire seems like a fine organization, but if they don't have the same tire you purchased in stock at the location they'd have to get it shipped, too.

I just bought a set of Michelin Cross Climate 2 tires from TR and they were cheaper per tire than Discount a few weeks ago and had a rebate. Right now they're like $50 a tire higher than DT on the same ones.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Considering how Tire Rack was awesome, I assume this is going to be bad news for consumers.  

Seems the lowest common denominator rule always holds true.
View Quote

I’ve actually bought more tires from Discount recently. They have been cheaper than Tire Rack. This could be bad for the consumer because the 2 companies pushed each other for customers by lowering prices.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Freedom tire and they come to the house.

Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I have had good luck with tire buyer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 1:55:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Discount has been good to me for years.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nothing should change for Tire Rack. Operate as usual.
View Quote

Uh huh sure.  Thats what they alway say in an acquisition so the good employees that keep it running dont jump ship right away.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
ive spent thousands of dollars at discount tire over the years.
But when it was time to replace the tires on the Tacoma last time,
Costco beat them by over $150.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My last two sets of tires by the time I had them mounted and balanced, I could not get a better deal with tire rack. Discount was the better deal for the same tire. I have gotten deals from tire rack where a certain line was being discontinued and they had them marked way down, that was tough to beat.
View Quote

This. Tire Rack used to be amazing but places like Discount Tire are just as good these days.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It will. Almost nothing good ever happens when a company buys a better company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering how Tire Rack was awesome, I assume this is going to be bad news for consumers.  

Seems the lowest common denominator rule always holds true.

It will. Almost nothing good ever happens when a company buys a better company.
Yup.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have never once had an issue with Discount Tire
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My last two sets of tires by the time I had them mounted and balanced, I could not get a better deal with tire rack. Discount was the better deal for the same tire. I have gotten deals from tire rack where a certain line was being discontinued and they had them marked way down, that was tough to beat.
View Quote

Same for me.

Last couple times pricing tires, I still went through Tire Rack, but after mount/balance they were only cheaper b/c I got discontinued/clear out tires.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Discount Tire has people all over the enthusiast forums helping people out, never seen't anyone from Tire Rack do that
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top