Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/8/2019 11:59:15 AM EDT
I guess kids aren't into SJWer pandering Star Wars. The movies are failing and no ones visiting Star Wars land.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-07/star-wars-is-struggling-to-win-over-the-marvel-generation

It’s hard to say this, as someone who grew up pretending to be Han Solo battling Darth Vader and his stormtroopers to rescue Princess Leia. But it must be said: Kids might not be into Star Wars anymore.

Walt Disney Co.’s underwhelming theme-park attendance last quarter was the latest sign that the intergalactic saga isn’t resonating for younger generations raised on Iron Man and Fortnite. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger was so sure fans would be blasting through the door that he had instituted a reservation system for visitors to enter Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the new attraction at Disneyland. It turned out not to be necessary.

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a good documentary on HULU called "The People vs. George Lucas" that dates from 2010 and goes into the problems with the franchise as far as the fans and Lucas is/was concerned.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Soon they'll rename the force to the feelings.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It is all nerd shit anyways.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Disneys Star Wars park is failing because it sucks.... Its jut too expensive for a single freaking ride and to pay more to eat in a themed diner.

I would not pay to go walk around that stuff.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Real Man (TM) of genius.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The Movies failed because they suck and shit on 40+ years of expanded universe content.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Movies failed because they suck and shit on 40+ years of expanded universe content.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Star Wars was cool at first because there was nothing like it.
Now there are lots of things like it and it doesn't do anything to stand out from the rest of them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
You can only fuck over a franchise so many times with your SJW shit and bad movies.

Star Wars has staying power, but Disney is doing everything it can to sink it
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, I was really pissed off they just threw away all the stuff that was in the books and games.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It's funny because killing off the stars of the first trilogy was supposed to open the door for new heroes that appeal to kids.

Perhaps kids are smart enough to see that with no character growth whatsoever in our heroine, there's no stakes to the story. A story without stakes and dramatic tension is tough to watch.

Oh, and the other new characters aren't very interesting. No character arcs with almost any of them except maybe Finn. Poe is a cipher, The other minor characters have been shit. It's just boring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Star Wars started to suck as soon as Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My 4 year old loves star wars. The old star wars. Even he hates the new shit Disney put out, without me even influencing his opinion. Even kids know shitty plot lines, horrible character development and an affront to natural law when they see it. Disney shot themselves in their own dick for the sake of liberalism. Got woke, going broke.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Hollywood Disney is out of ideas and can't adapt to a new market. They aren't writing new scripts, they're trying to ride their own coattails by remaking every movie they can with an SJW twist.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Anything other than admitting they put out shitty movies.

Disclaimer: I was a die hard SW fan until The Last Jedi.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Making shitty movies probably doesn't help
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Ha-Ha.jpeg

I gave up on the comic book movies.  I see SJW daily—I don’t need to be reminded while I’m relaxing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Star Wars is struggling to maintain the audience it once had.
I am done with shitty star wars movies.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Star Wars is a great franchise that went into the wrong direction by people who don't know what it is about. The writing stinks, the plot lines too thin and I agree no character building. Disney is just making movies for the sake of making money and not pleasing fans. I was really looking forward to "The Force Awakens" years ago but it failed miserably. A girl with no prior training is able to keep up with Kylo Ren who has been trained by the best, is supposed to be realistic. I know the movies are not real but it would be like putting a Samurai against just a farmer with no combat skills. So much for the franchise.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I still love 4-5-6  and that last spin off rouge one was pretty good. They keep trying to redo some shit that worked once and are failing for a whole host of reasons .
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
get woke, go broke
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Phantom Menace sucks

Edit: except for the podracer sequence
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Star Wars is a great franchise that went into the wrong direction by people who don't know what it is about. The writing stinks, the plot lines too thin and I agree no character building. Disney is just making movies for the sake of making money and not pleasing fans. I was really looking forward to "The Force Awakens" years ago but it failed miserably. A girl with no prior training is able to keep up with Kylo Ren who has been trained by the best, is supposed to be realistic. I know the movies are not real but it would be like putting a Samurai against just a farmer with no combat skills. So much for the franchise.
View Quote
I agree, the reboots were a disappointment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Star Wars started to suck as soon as Darth Vader turned out to be Luke's father.
View Quote
Nah, i'd say it was when we found out who his sister was.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
"Let's write the plot by stringing together a bunch of references to the original movies with some filler in between, and we'll have characters that no one cares about that do nonsensical shit and waste a half hour of screen time sending the black guy to Space Vegas because we can't figure out what else to do with him."
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed, the third movie is what started the path of ruin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Phantom Menace sucks

Edit: except for DARTH MAUL the podracer sequence
View Quote
FIFY

Pod Racing?

Solo and Rougue One were fucking awesome. The Force Awakens had potential but they ruined it. The Last Jedi fucking Sucks; the prequels are better than TLJ. And because of all the SJW bullshit I have no desire to see any further SW movies in the theater. Which is sad because I've seen every movie in the theater since ROTJ and have been an SW fan since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:42:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Lifetime Star Wars fan here.

The new movies suck, they don't make any sense and they are loaded with SJW propaganda.  I'm done watching them for good.

Galaxy's Edge is nothing more than a Star Wars themed shopping mall full of hyper-expensive doodads.  I wouldn't go there if they paid me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#30]
No, it’s because it’s too freaking expensive
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No, it’s because it’s too freaking expensive
View Quote
Disney is pricing out the middle class which is its biggest customer.

Disney Cast Member EXPOSES Star Wars Galaxy's Edge!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:55:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can only fuck over a franchise so many times with your SJW shit and bad movies.

Star Wars has staying power, but Disney is doing everything it can to sink it
View Quote
Star Wars is reminding me of the last mission of the IJN Musashi ...

Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#34]
My 6yo told me nobody liked Star Wars anymore because they made it dumb.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh well.

From the guy who has over 100 books from Star Wars to the guy who sat out Solo and will sit out Episode 9.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#36]
There's almost zero Star Wars merchandise in the stores now.  Walmart has a couple dusty diecast A-wings and Tie fighters, that's it.  Maybe a retro t-shirt once in a while.  Used to be you almost couldn't find a spot in the store where there wasn't a Star Wars licensed product within arm's reach.  Disney can blow a lot of sunshine up a lot of butts but they can't hide the exodus of licensors.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:14:42 PM EDT
[#37]
30 seconds of Jar Jar.
I walked out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#38]
That's what forcing your kids to like what you like will do.  oh well, StarWars can't die fast enough
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It’s hard to say this, as someone who grew up pretending to be Han Solo battling Darth Vader and his stormtroopers to rescue Princess Leia. But it must be said: Kids might not be into Star Wars anymore.

Walt Disney Co.’s underwhelming theme-park attendance last quarter was the latest sign that the intergalactic saga isn’t resonating for younger generations raised on Iron Man and Fortnite. Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger was so sure fans would be blasting through the door that he had instituted a reservation system for visitors to enter Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, the new attraction at Disneyland. It turned out not to be necessary.

View Quote
I agree that kids aren't into Star Wars. The appeal of Star Wars, mostly to boys, was to be the hero. SW had 2 masculine heroes, Luke and Han and every boy age 4-9 (maybe older) in 1977 came out of Star Wars wanting to be one or the other.

Who's the hero now that kids would like to be? My 4 year old son pretends to be Hulk or Spider-man because the books I read him show those heroes doing hero things.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#41]
They should give Porkins his own movie. Couldn't be any worse than the recent ones.

Fuckin' SJW's have managed to kill Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who all within the same year.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I agree that kids aren't into Star Wars. The appeal of Star Wars, mostly to boys, was to be the hero. SW had 2 masculine heroes, Luke and Han and every boy age 4-9 (maybe older) in 1977 came out of Star Wars wanting to be one or the other.

Who's the hero now that kids would like to be? My 4 year old son pretends to be Hulk or Spider-man because the books I read him show those heroes doing hero things.
View Quote
Disney has been deliberately trying to market Star Wars to girls. Marvel is deliberately being marketed to boys. Sure they have Finn and Poe like marvel has Captain Marvel and black widow, but on the whole they have segregated their products by gender.

Because through the years between 1984 to the mid/late 90s when the re-released were put out it was my sister repping star wars, buying novels, and playing SW games not my brother and I.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not surprised.  It would be like Disney decided they need a reboot of Indiana Jones, but they replace Indy with a woman, and she goes out searching for the Holy Equal Pay, which will grant equality to all women who gaze upon it.  Then they build a huge theme park all about the reboot, and nobody goes.  Why would they? Indiana Jones was cool, but that era has past.  And you ruined it anyways, so ZFG.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#44]
The movies suck. It’s as simple as that.

Between Star Trek and Star Wars, I think JJ Abrams may be one of the worst things to ever happen to science fiction.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Prequels had their issues, but overall had a great story, and interesting characters that actually developed over the course of the trilogy (even if you already knew their ultimate trajectory).

Even the OT had some plot holes, iffy acting, etc.

After TFA, I thought it definitely had some glaring issues, but if you watch all seven back to back... it really still feels like a SW movie.

Ep 8 was a great opportunity to clarify, explain, and expand on a lot of ideas and themes and characters from 7, but instead it was just a mishmash of SJW nonsense, and just bad story telling with literally zero to add to the story.

The OT had great heros and villains that kids AND adults could get enjoy.

The PT had awesome dynamic action and lightsaber battles that we hadn't seen before, along with good heroes, and some interesting villains, and a great story.

The new trilogy looks the best, no one can fault that, but it basically has no soul, and instead of giving it one in Ep 8, Disney wiped it's ass with the whole concept.

Unlike any SW film before, I will wait to see fan reviews on Ep 9 before I see it in theaters. If it doesn't get 5 star reviews from non-paid shills and totally undo everything done by Ep 8, I'll be waiting until it hits stream - if I bother to see it at all. (And I say that as someone who's seen previous films 2-3 times each in theaters)
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ah yes, real men who are clearly far to manly to ever be able to be a kid again and have fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If we are really being honest, there have only ever been 2 great Star Wars movies and 1 "good enough" movie which tied up loose ends.

I don't care how well done anyone thinks Rogue One was (so what if it was), it doesn't change the fact that it's a McMovie that banked on relentless fan service.  It didn't move the universe forward in any meaningful way just like every other movie since Return of the Jedi and even that was a low key rehash of A New Hope.

TFA and TLJ was Star Wars' opportunity to finally move things forward and instead they just circled right back to the beginning.

You can only pump fans full of the comfortable and familiar before they finally lose enthusiasm.  The SJW side agenda shoved in along the way probably didn't help either.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Kathleen Kennedy fucked up Lucasfilm so bad that the torrent of Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies Disney planned for them to make has been cut to a trickle.  For their unexpected free time Kennedy has hand picked the beginning of the next great franchise, Children of Blood and Bone.

Gizmodo
Since Disney acquired Lucasfilm in 2012, the studio has been laser-focused on two of its biggest franchises: cycling up a whole deluge of Star Wars films, and getting going on a continuation of Indiana Jones. But now it's working on a new project, wholly disconnected from supernatural treasure hunting or Jedi adventures.

Deadline reports Disney is moving ahead with an adaptation of Tomi Adeyemi's 2018 young adult fantasy novel Children of Blood and Bone, picking up on a Fox 2000 rights acquisition that has survived the House of Mouse's consumption of Fox and the ongoing radical cutdown of its previously planned movie slate.

Set in a world where an evil king orders the culling of Majipractitioners of various elemental magicsChildren of Blood and Bone follows a young orphaned Maji named Zlie, who sets out to bring magic back to her people and strike back against the king who subjugated them. Kay Oyegun, best known for her work on This is Us, is currently in talks with Disney to write the adaptation, while Dope and one-time potential Flash director Rick Famuyiwa is still attached to direct.

While prior producers back under Fox's auspices Marty Bowen, Isaac Klausner, John Fischer, and Karen Rosenfelt, as well as Famuyiwa himself, will still be onboard the Disney version of the project, the deal has apparently caught the eye of Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy according to Deadline. Disney is looking to hand over Children of Blood and Bone to Lucasfilm to be their first non-Star Wars or Indy production since being bought by the megacorporation seven years ago.
View Quote
Ugh, teen feminist magic coming of age soap
IGN
The novel, published by Henry Holt Books for Young Readers, conjures a stunning world of dark magic and danger, as a young heroine teams up with a rogue princess to restore magic in the land of Orsha in the aftermath of her mother's death.

"The greatest danger," the outlet notes, "may be Zlie herself as she struggles to control her powers  and her growing feelings for an enemy."
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:41:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, that made splinter of the minds eye rather awkward.
Link Posted: 8/8/2019 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Because it’s nerd shit you think that gives you...power over them?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top