Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So what method aside from the current model would be the solution for dairy to begin making money again?

If making more isn't cutting it, either mass failure, or cutting production is the only alternative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine. But when a farmer does it willingly because of those reasons, then turns around to complain how bad it is, he can choke onna bag of cocks. You don't get to choose to be miserable then complain about it as if it is some huge struggle. This is where most farmers are.

IF IT SUCKS SO BAD, WALK AWAY AND DO SOMETHING ELSE WITH YOUR LIFE.

Farmers, the woe-is-me liberal cunts of the "conservative" party.
You are a dipshit.  I do it because I love it and because I'm good at it.  I have the potential to make more money if the current climate was not retarded.  I've worked in IT in corporate america and in retail.  I'd rather get punched in the nuts than have to go back to that crap.

Just imagine doing your job and then one day, with stuff out of your control, someone decided you were gonna make 25% gross less a year.

You also need to realize, that 99% of farmers have done nothing but farm their entire lives.  They've worked for themselves and don't know how to do anything else.
Sorry that 99% of farmers are retards who can't adapt. Point proven. Thanks.
You should become a farmer and show them how to do it since it’s so easy. I’m sure there’s a simple math equation that an engineer could come up with to make it al work like a machine
I have to wonder sometimes though.

Milk has been down here for two years, and a lot of dairies are operating at a loss.

So what are most of them doing? Adding barns and cows....because further saturating the market is sure to fix it.

If they all agreed to cut production by say 15% for a year (and none of the big operations caved on it) they might actually be able to move prices back up.
You know less about economics and game theory than AOC.
I do know that if there is an oversupply of a product, that making more of it probably isn't the best way make it profitable again.

I think a lot of dairy guys though are still in that government cheese mindset, the previous generation was able to crank out as much product as possible and always have somewhere to sell the surplus.
I'm baffled that you think all dairy farmers could agree to reduce production by 15%, drive up prices, and everyone benefits.
I don't see why it wouldn't hurt to at least try it. Plenty of farms have mutual agreements set on land pricing when buying, so as not to create land wars, no reason they couldn't have the same type of agreement when it come to production for a period of time.

Obviously the method of "make more and hope the prices go up" isn't cutting it.

Milk is dirt cheap, even if the end product went up 1-2 bucks a gallon it wouldn't affect people much. My milk cost just went up $4/week.....big whoop, but it would be of great benefit to the guys producing it.
That's equivalent to saying "We could solve murder if everyone agreed to stop killing people"

It's incomprehensibly naive and ignorant, demonstrating that you simultaneously have no comprehension of the ag industry, but of basic economics and human nature.
So what method aside from the current model would be the solution for dairy to begin making money again?

If making more isn't cutting it, either mass failure, or cutting production is the only alternative.
Increasing efficiency. Hiring less work done and doing it yourself. Learning more about the industry in order to ensure each additional expense is justifiable and efficient.

Same as in every other business. But the answer certainly isn’t “if duh fermers wood jist mayk less foood thay wood mayk mowr muneys”
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dairy is still profitable but only for those with the economy of scale and efficiency to have margin with the current prices.

The small 40-50 cow family farm that was still relatively common when I was a kid ain't that. Partly due to size and partly due to how they were operated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Increasing efficiency. Hiring less work done and doing it yourself. Learning more about the industry in order to ensure each additional expense is justifiable and efficient.

Same as in every other business. But the answer certainly isn’t “if duh fermers wood jist mayk less foood thay wood mayk mowr muneys”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine. But when a farmer does it willingly because of those reasons, then turns around to complain how bad it is, he can choke onna bag of cocks. You don't get to choose to be miserable then complain about it as if it is some huge struggle. This is where most farmers are.

You are a dipshit.  I do it because I love it and because I'm good at it.  I have the potential to make more money if the current climate was not retarded.  I've worked in IT in corporate america and in retail.  I'd rather get punched in the nuts than have to go back to that crap.

Just imagine doing your job and then one day, with stuff out of your control, someone decided you were gonna make 25% gross less a year.

You also need to realize, that 99% of farmers have done nothing but farm their entire lives.  They've worked for themselves and don't know how to do anything else.
You should become a farmer and show them how to do it since it’s so easy. I’m sure there’s a simple math equation that an engineer could come up with to make it al work like a machine

Milk has been down here for two years, and a lot of dairies are operating at a loss.

So what are most of them doing? Adding barns and cows....because further saturating the market is sure to fix it.

If they all agreed to cut production by say 15% for a year (and none of the big operations caved on it) they might actually be able to move prices back up.
I do know that if there is an oversupply of a product, that making more of it probably isn't the best way make it profitable again.

I think a lot of dairy guys though are still in that government cheese mindset, the previous generation was able to crank out as much product as possible and always have somewhere to sell the surplus.
I'm baffled that you think all dairy farmers could agree to reduce production by 15%, drive up prices, and everyone benefits.
I don't see why it wouldn't hurt to at least try it. Plenty of farms have mutual agreements set on land pricing when buying, so as not to create land wars, no reason they couldn't have the same type of agreement when it come to production for a period of time.

Milk is dirt cheap, even if the end product went up 1-2 bucks a gallon it wouldn't affect people much. My milk cost just went up $4/week.....big whoop, but it would be of great benefit to the guys producing it.
That's equivalent to saying "We could solve murder if everyone agreed to stop killing people"

It's incomprehensibly naive and ignorant, demonstrating that you simultaneously have no comprehension of the ag industry, but of basic economics and human nature.

The big thing with new builds now is cow comfort for increased production. The idea is to get pads under their feet in feed lanes, scractching posts at each crossover, slanted curbs on the bedding areas, misters and automatic blinds to try to keep the barn as close to 60 degrees as possible, and loads of other new designs to get the cows happier and producing as much as possible.

But that still leads to the same issue, you might be getting more pounds from each cow, but you are still over producing regionally, so even if it costs a little less to produce (and that could be a wash anyway with the added costs in the barn construction) you are still operating at a loss.

Trust me, I don't want to see farmers fail, I pull a lot of work from them and if they go then so does my work. To me though, going full steam to increase production on a product that is a net loss to produce and sell does not seem like a great solution.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
John Mellencamp - Rain On The Scarecrow
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Dairy is still profitable but only for those with the economy of scale and efficiency to have margin with the current prices.

The small 40-50 cow family farm that was still relatively common when I was a kid ain't that. Partly due to size and partly due to how they were operated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read a write up from a localish guy that is milking 2000 cows and still running at a loss.

There are some larger operations in the area, but how big do you have to go to turn a profit?

I saw a 10 million dollar build a few years ago, the idea was to double current cow capacity.....their kids will inherit that debt most likely.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of 200 head or less do. Especially in this market. Beans are down, weather SUCKS, and beef is down.
View Quote
Yup. My parents have felt the effects with soybean and beef prices, wacky weather, seed and fuel prices go up yearly but price doesnt. Def not millionaires.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The big thing with new builds now is cow comfort for increased production. The idea is to get pads under their feet in feed lanes, scractching posts at each crossover, slanted curbs on the bedding areas, misters and automatic blinds to try to keep the barn as close to 60 degrees as possible, and loads of other new designs to get the cows happier and producing as much as possible.

But that still leads to the same issue, you might be getting more pounds from each cow, but you are still over producing regionally, so even if it costs a little less to produce (and that could be a wash anyway with the added costs in the barn construction) you are still operating at a loss.

Trust me, I don't want to see farmers fail, I pull a lot of work from them and if they go then so does my work. To me though, going full steam to increase production on a product that is a net loss to produce and sell does not seem like a great solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what is your suggestion? How do you enforce every farmer decrease production? If all farmers but one decrease production, the one becomes rich. How do you make all farmers decrease production?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup. My parents have felt the effects with soybean and beef prices, wacky weather, seed and fuel prices go up yearly but price doesnt. Def not millionaires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of 200 head or less do. Especially in this market. Beans are down, weather SUCKS, and beef is down.
Some type of fungus got into all the soybeans around here two years ago, those guys lost a ton of money that season.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read a write up from a localish guy that is milking 2000 cows and still running at a loss.

There are some larger operations in the area, but how big do you have to go to turn a profit?

I saw a 10 million dollar build a few years ago, the idea was to double current cow capacity.....their kids will inherit that debt most likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just being big doesn't mean they're being efficient.

No one likes to hear it because of our emotional sentimentality towards our agrarian history, but some farms should fail. Just like some businesses should fail.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They rival schoolteachers as the occupation of the biggest complainers.
View Quote
With GPS guided equipment, they can shitpost memes on Facebook all day, not just when the students aren't looking.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Some are smart, some are dumb, some years we make good money, some years we don't.  There are definitely cycles in farming.  The only thing that is probably universal is we work hard.  It's common to run 80 to 90 hour work weeks for 6 months at a time.  I work every day no weekends off, sure weather may stop me from field work and I switch to maintenance or paperwork.  It is grinding work, most people don't realize how much we work and it's not all good for the body type work.  Taking a weekend off or going to the lake that most people enjoy is a foreign concept to my family, too much shit to do.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what is your suggestion? How do you enforce every farmer decrease production? If all farmers but one decrease production, the one becomes rich. How do you make all farmers decrease production?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure they could co-op under a set of terms and conditions for a period of time, written up as a contract by a lawyer that knows about such things.

I also think the milk companies kind of have them under their thumb, and if they could work together to stand up to them a bit they could demand a little more.

If you are making so much of a product in a region that the people buying it can tell you what they are going to pay for it, something has to change.

I did see one farm head away from that model, but it adds a ton to the total cost. They started to pasteurize and distribute their own product and a lot of stores in the area now carry it, as well as getting their own tankers to send product out to whichever facility is in need of it (yogurt, cheese, milk, etc) during a particular week or month, eliminating one of the middle men where the price gets bottlenecked.

I just think the old model isn't going to work for much longer. Our area used to have over 100 family owned dairy farms, they all thrived during the government cheese era and then when the next generation took over the equipment was aged, the barns needed repairs and milk was in the shitter but the only way they learned to operate was to produce as much as possible, this kind of fucked everyone over and the larger places ended up scooping up most of the crop land as they began to sell out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, you could petition a governing body, or create one, to place arbitrary standards on whether or not a farm can be certified to produce a product of a particular grade. The standards would lower production per head, be expensive to implement and maintain.  To further raise the barrier of entry, require that current feed land be certified years before the farm is certified. Then you'll have lower production at higher prices. The product grade would then be named something to increase public perception of its quality so a portion are willing to pay these higher prices.  Let's say "organic."
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, you could petition a governing body, or create one, to place arbitrary standards on whether or not a farm can be certified to produce a product of a particular grade. The standards would lower production per head, be expensive to implement and maintain.  To further raise the barrier of entry, require that current feed land be certified years before the farm is certified. Then you'll have lower production at higher prices. The product grade would then be named something to increase public perception of its quality so a portion are willing to pay these higher prices.  Let's say "organic."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did repairs on an old barn a guy bought to milk 90 additional cows. He couldn't get his current barn certified organic because of the PT lumber.

He said that the milk from those 90 organic cows paid more than the 200 at the other farm, and because all his fields were certified he fed them all the same food.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm sure they could co-op under a set of terms and conditions for a period of time, written up as a contract by a lawyer that knows about such things.

I also think the milk companies kind of have them under their thumb, and if they could work together to stand up to them a bit they could demand a little more.

If you are making so much of a product in a region that the people buying it can tell you what they are going to pay for it, something has to change.

I did see one farm head away from that model, but it adds a ton to the total cost. They started to pasteurize and distribute their own product and a lot of stores in the area now carry it, as well as getting their own tankers to send product out to whichever facility is in need of it (yogurt, cheese, milk, etc) during a particular week or month, eliminating one of the middle men where the price gets bottlenecked.

I just think the old model isn't going to work for much longer. Our area used to have over 100 family owned dairy farms, they all thrived during the government cheese era and then when the next generation took over the equipment was aged, the barns needed repairs and milk was in the shitter but the only way they learned to operate was to produce as much as possible, this kind of fucked everyone over and the larger places ended up scooping up most of the crop land as they began to sell out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the kind of logic a 6th grader would suggest.

There would be no more murder if everyone stopped killing each other!! Rainbows and unicorns!
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There would be no more murder if everyone stopped killing each other!! Rainbows and unicorns!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please present a more practical alternative then.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do like what the NOAA does with snapper fishing.

Have a set limit of permits that people can have.

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want me to solve the agriculture industry for you?

All right, I'll use some of your logic. How about farmers just agree to raise the prices?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

All right, I'll use some of your logic. How about farmers just agree to raise the prices?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I'm sure you have some ideas, let's hear them.

Nothing will ever get fixed without ideas getting tossed out....apparently mine are retarded, I'm sure you can do better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did repairs on an old barn a guy bought to milk 90 additional cows. He couldn't get his current barn certified organic because of the PT lumber.

He said that the milk from those 90 organic cows paid more than the 200 at the other farm, and because all his fields were certified he fed them all the same food.
View Quote
I did field work and chore work for 2 different farms in college. One basically tilled acreage for cash crops and kept 40 cows as pets because he liked being a dairy farmer. But all of his income was crop. I was his only regular employee. He worked day and night and was always depressed about something. Really hard guy to be around.

The other was certified organic and milked 50 cows.  There were 5 of us regular employees. 2 to milk, 1 for field work and me as basically the mechanic/handyman with occasional field or chore work.

He only milked one shift himself and spent a lot of time with his kids. His wife was employed at the college but not any super high paying job. He seemed to be doing about as well as was possible for a farm that size at that time.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nothing will ever get fixed without ideas getting tossed out....apparently mine are retarded, I'm sure you can do better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All farmers agree to raise the prices by 15%. How could that fail to make all farmers successful?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All farmers agree to raise the prices by 15%. How could that fail to make all farmers successful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your idea isn't any better than mine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your idea isn't any better than mine.
View Quote
Why is my idea bad?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Farmers don't set the prices they sell for.  Futures markets and basis adjustments do.  My cattle all sell at an auction, I have no control over their value.  My corn is sold based on futures and current basis above or below futures price.  I can only control when I sell, not the price.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL

Sure

Whatever let's you sleep at night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also depends on the type of farm.  Big industrial farm with 1200 milk cow and a gang of guatamalan hands is making money.

Little guy on a handed down 200 acre hardscrabble farm with forty head selling and buying hay and silage?   Lucky to still exist.

The real money is being big and getting in with politicians to get on every money program.
200 acres or less, is either a hobby farm or niche farming.

I know a guy that has 20 acres, grows certified organic garlic - different varieties.   All he grows is garlic.   Extremely niche, does very well.

The flipside, my dad and I have about ~200 acres and we lose a ton of money.

Note, we're not full time farmers. We have 25~ish head of cattle and do hay.   We're also owners of a very large oil distribution company.

0 Government kickbacks.  0 anything from .gov.  Strictly for fun and yes, tax break for equipment and such.
LOL

Sure

Whatever let's you sleep at night.
So a tax write off is a government kick back?

How about lifo adjustments? Or being able to write off losses? Or being able to depreciate capital expenses?

Or are those kick backs too?

My dad and I literally farm for fun. We have 250+ employees to worry about in the main company daily.  That operates 24/7/365.

@75149
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Farmers don't set the prices they sell for.  Futures markets and basis adjustments do.  My cattle all sell at an auction, I have no control over their value.  My corn is sold based on futures and current basis above or below futures price.  I can only control when I sell, not the price.
View Quote
this.
this and only this.

people who have no idea of how the market based system actually works, would love to tell farmers and ranchers how it should be done...in their minds perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I saw a website that said the average American farmer received $100000 in subsidies per 1000 acres. I don't know of anything to dispute this but from everything I know it's at least close.
View Quote
when the government controls the markets in every way, you can expect the government to have to give up a little $$ to keep that farm viable.

but, 100K per 1000 seems very, very high.

in all fairness, I only know peanuts, beans and alfalfa. with that I know the government completely took away the farm I was raised on's ability to raise the biggest cash crop we had. in 1 day, with a letter in the mail. 1000 acres of peanuts disappeared forever.

same on the farm to the left... same on the farm to the right...same on the farm to the south and on the north.
gone.

hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialized equipment no longer utilized and unable to sell.
thousands of acres of specialized, groomed land that had been set up over decades for 1 crop.

gone.
thanks NAFTA
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You really need to just shut the hell up.  You have never been hungry a day in your life.  There is a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak for him, but I farm because I love doing it, all my friends do it, and it allows me to live the lifestyle I want.

I don't have to ask people permission to hunt, I can shoot whenever I want, I get to be outdoors all the time, I very rarely have to interact with liberals, etc.

You really need to just shut the hell up.  You have never been hungry a day in your life.  There is a reason.
God damn, lots of butthurt farmers here.

I haven't been hungry a day in my life because I work hard and can afford food. Food prices could quadruple and I wouldn't miss a beat. Actually that would be good for you guys too, wouldn't it? Or are you all still afraid of the free market?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow. You are incredibly terrible at forming logical arguments. Go back to farming and collecting my tax money as a subsidy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I haven't been hungry a day in my life because I work hard and can afford food. Food prices could quadruple and I wouldn't miss a beat. Actually that would be good for you guys too, wouldn't it? Or are you all still afraid of the free market?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't speak for him, but I farm because I love doing it, all my friends do it, and it allows me to live the lifestyle I want.

I don't have to ask people permission to hunt, I can shoot whenever I want, I get to be outdoors all the time, I very rarely have to interact with liberals, etc.

Throwing it back at someone who insults you is not being butthurt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow. You are incredibly terrible at forming logical arguments. Go back to farming and collecting my tax money as a subsidy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now who’s butthurt?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Throwing it back at someone who insults you is not being butthurt.
View Quote
Hey if the shoe fits, right?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
when the government controls the markets in every way, you can expect the government to have to give up a little $$ to keep that farm viable.

in all fairness, I only know peanuts, beans and alfalfa. with that I know the government completely took away the farm I was raised on's ability to raise the biggest cash crop we had. in 1 day, with a letter in the mail. 1000 acres of peanuts disappeared forever.

same on the farm to the left... same on the farm to the right...same on the farm to the south and on the north.
gone.

hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialized equipment no longer utilized and unable to sell.
thousands of acres of specialized, groomed land that had been set up over decades for 1 crop.

gone.
thanks NAFTA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a website that said the average American farmer received $100000 in subsidies per 1000 acres. I don't know of anything to dispute this but from everything I know it's at least close.

gone.

gone.
thanks NAFTA
Think about the east coast and their land costs. A hundred farmed acres in my area (90 minutes from DC) would be worth tens of millions to a developer, who would resell them in 1/5 acre lots for $50k-100k each.  But that only applies when the land is divisible, when it is in the agricultural zones and cannot be developed, the price is only a few million.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#35]
The full time successful farmers who do well locally are usually 2nd/3rd generation and they have no land acquisition costs and grew up doing what they do so very experienced yet willing to learn the technical things needed to compete and thrive.  They usually drive older pickups and live in standard homes for the area.

The full time not so successful farmers either jumped on it when a crop was unusually high and figured they were just as smart as the farmer they were working for so why not lease some land/equipment and get rich and are saddled with debt or they are old timers who can’t change from the way their grandpa did it and don’t have the knowledge or willingness to learn new technical skills that would enable them to adjust their practices.

In either case it seems the upcoming generation wants nothing to do with the hard work and risk so they are selling the land and pursuing other occupations.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In either case it seems the upcoming generation wants nothing to do with the hard work and risk so they are selling the land and pursuing other occupations.
View Quote
It's a tough sell.

"Hey, do you want to work every day of the year for the whole day with this equipment that is getting old...plus I'll still be in charge of everything and you can have it when I finally die? Also, prices are way down right now, so we are going to have to run at a loss for half a decade."

vs

"Do you want to get off the farm, get a degree, move somewhere that that stores stay open past 7pm and make a good living while having weekends off? Also you get all this land when I die and you'll be able to lease or sell it."
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:04:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is what the USDA does when they decide the price is to low:

https://www.capitalpress.com/nation_world/ap_nation_world/usda-orders-volume-controls-on-cranberries/article_3a223d07-8063-5adb-aba1-702f2986952c.html

In the dairy industry production will drop at some point and prices will rise. It may take a year or a decade the few farms left will make a killing and the cycle will repeat.  And of course with each cycle the capital required to be competitive will be exponentially higher.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#38]
No but they are really good at complaining.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:21:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Our local “farmers” have just been selling off their land as the prices peak for development so they and their kids can move to other small towns with tons of money and buy land for future generations or retire here with tons of cash.

Most of them only farm in name and do only enough to get subsidies or tax breaks.  Almost all have full time jobs besides the farms and are just sticking around until it’s all sold and developed.

Don’t blame them at all and good for them for making money. But I think the more farmers we have the better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
because unlike other professions, they have no control whatsoever on pricing and profit. the world markets, futures, and the .Gov rule everything without any input from the producers.

you can set a margin, work all season for it and come harvest- momentary changes in the market are crushing.
no throw in Mother Nature and other issues.

its brutal.

I've sat inside a tractor before praying that it wouldn't rain till we got peanuts off the ground and in, because 1 rain would ruin the crop harvest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
because unlike other professions, they have no control whatsoever on pricing and profit. the world markets, futures, and the .Gov rule everything without any input from the producers.

you can set a margin, work all season for it and come harvest- momentary changes in the market are crushing.

its brutal.

I've sat inside a tractor before praying that it wouldn't rain till we got peanuts off the ground and in, because 1 rain would ruin the crop harvest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its brutal.

A guy here has huge barns that he fills with hay during season. If he thinks its going to be a rough winter he will sit on a lot of it until late winter/early spring and then start selling at nearly double what the fall rate was.

I'm sure similar accommodations could be made for lots of crops, you can always play the speculation game with a market.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. I don't go to any crop production shows or speak with any other farmers. It's depressing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Around here if you are a farmer and don't have a K Whopper or a Peterbilt to pull your bean and corn wagon you are looked upon as the proverbial red headed step child at the family reunion.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Around here if you are a farmer and don't have a K Whopper or a Peterbilt to pull your bean and corn wagon you are looked upon as the proverbial red headed step child at the family reunion.
View Quote
What else do you pull trailers with legally? That just seems like part of doing business?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

How about lifo adjustments? Or being able to write off losses? Or being able to depreciate capital expenses?

My dad and I literally farm for fun. We have 250+ employees to worry about in the main company daily.  That operates 24/7/365.

@75149
View Quote
You posted  "0 anything from .gov" then follow up with tax breaks.

Spin it all you want, just know you look like a hypocrite doing so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@75149

Do you claim any deductions from your income tax?
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:17:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@75149

So figuring out how to pay less taxes is taking things from the government?

Last I checked, I pay a lot of taxes.  I mean, a fuck lot of taxes.  Like millions of dollars a year in taxes.

Last I checked, I don’t get a refund nor do I take a pay check from the government.

So how is paying less taxes taking a damn thing from the government?

Please explain the mental gymnastics in this one. I’m waiting.

I’m also in the camp that property taxes should be illegal and federal income tax should be too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@75149

Or a 401k.  Or a HSA.  Or a Roth IRA.  All those are just deferred taxes so you end up paying less in taxes.

Or taking capital gains tax instead of income tax.  Also a tax break.

@75149 ‘s mental gymnastics on this one is stellar.  At least we know there’s someone from the IRS on this board to go with the other alphabet agencies.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I got to go to town tomorrow. Guess I’ll go out and reach up a cows ass and pull out a thousand dollars and laugh hysterically at how easy it is to be a rich farmer while the other suckers work for a living
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I was driving through the area you described with a knowledgeable farmer.

We were in Idaho, with a lower density population. He said, "this is the highest concentration of millionaires in the US."

Based on land..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of my ranching family are cash poor and land rich.  
I was driving through the area you described with a knowledgeable farmer.

We were in Idaho, with a lower density population. He said, "this is the highest concentration of millionaires in the US."

Based on land..
Yeah, that's because land values have been butt fucked in the absolute Oblivion in this state...

You should see what total mountains of shit go for in lemhi county..... It's goddamn ridiculous is what it is. You could buy some ground a little over 20 years ago in southern Idaho for 6-800 + acre. Now any piece of shit desert with piss poor water goes for 4500 to 5000.  A real piece of ground with real water starts at fucking 10k.....
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top