User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do this as well with a set of earbuds running up under them for music.

Electronic muffs for hunting.  Eye protection depends on the animal I'm hunting, people around me, light conditions, etc.  Usually, I have on eye protection though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm terrified of losing my hearing...

I'm that guy who wears ear pro when running the lawn mower.

Electronic muffs for hunting.  Eye protection depends on the animal I'm hunting, people around me, light conditions, etc.  Usually, I have on eye protection though.

I'm so paranoid, I wear ear pro when running a circular saw.

I'm hyper sensitive about losing my ability to discern high frequencies (I love music), and age is the one thing I can't account for. I'm going to continue to lose some of my hearing as I continue to get older. But I'll be damned if I'm going to help it along.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used electronic ear protection when hunting. My Howard Leights hear more better than I do. Nice to have the sound amplification while blocking the gunshot. However, I don't usually wear them. I've worn Oakley sunglasses which are whatever impact rated. I don't know that I would wear them for just their eye protection though. I need to get some of my hunting rifles cut and threaded already so I can just add my can.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
My ear pro is screwed on the end of my barrel.

I wear clear lenses at night because I can't see branches and such. During the day, I am always wearing sunglasses.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If I'm deer hunting with my flintlock rifle, eye protection is mandatory. I use yellow tinted glasses, helps pick out the sights a little better in low light.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

Range day? Ear pro. Hunting? No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

Unless you are hunting day in and day out in a dove field in Argentina, the occasional gun shot is not going to give you long term tinnitus.

Maybe not long term tinnitus on that occasion but you are creating irreparable damage to your hearing with any centerfire cartridge on every shot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm hyper sensitive about losing my ability to discern high frequencies (I love music), and age is the one thing I can't account for. I'm going to continue to lose some of my hearing as I continue to get older. But I'll be damned if I'm going to help it along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really need to start doing the hearing protection with tools. The other day I was assembling some stuff with an impact and it was obvious that I was well above hearing safe levels. What did I do? Turned up the music I was listening to. Stupid move. I know better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I wear prescription glasses, so I always buy ones with plastic lenses of some kind, so I'm always wearing some form of eye protection.
I've been hunting only a few times, and did not wear ear pro for just a few shots.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If I put the BOSS on my Browning rifle, I bring ear protection.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Never did.

My experience is that when the time comes to shoot I was aware that I'd shot a round, or two, but I never had a ringing in my ears.  

I don't know what it is, but I've experienced it before, shooting without feeling the effects of the muzzle blast on my ears.

I can still hear pretty good.  We had annual hearing tests at work.  Hearing protection was required there anywhere except in the break rooms, a meeting room or an office.  Even so, my tests did show some decline in hearing over 30 years, but nothing serious.

If you think you should wear hearing protection when hunting, how about when running lawn mowers and weed eaters?  Or riding a motorcycle?

Now shooting sports is different.  If I'm on a range I've got hearing protection in my ears.  It's different than hunting.  Not much adrenalin in my system just putting holes in paper.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WHAT???
View Quote

This. Former 13 Bravo checking in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep Surefire Sonic Defenders in my pocket with the plug open.

And I almost always have shades on.

It depends what's happening.

If I'm in a pheasant line or a blind with someone else I'll have them in.  If I'm sitting on small game probably not.  If I'm stalking there is almost no chance I'll have them in.

I tried electronic muffs for stalking and I don't like them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I really need to start doing the hearing protection with tools. The other day I was assembling some stuff with an impact and it was obvious that I was well above hearing safe levels. What did I do? Turned up the music I was listening to. Stupid move. I know better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wear ear pro in our data center, if I know I'm going to be in there for longer than 15 minutes or so. It's fooking LOUD in there.

The other employees look at me funny, but fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

++
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to college on a music scholarship, so music and hearing were a big deal.  The snare drums behind my head in indoor marching band rehearsal were a large part of destroying my hearing.  Irony.  I'd ALWAYS worn ear pro while mowing or using power tools.  I still do.  eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Neither here.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Never worn eye protection only wear ear pro if I'm hunting with a rifle that has a brake on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#17]
No to both .
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I grew up not wearing earpro or eyes. Now I live with a wailing banshee in my head.
When I take my son shooting, earpro is a religion.

He has to repeat his self enough to me that he knows hearing loss is no joke.

This year we'll be using electronic earpro in the deer woods.
I'm not sure how well he will like being saddled with them on his head all day.
There may be a slight curve to getting over the aggravation.
We will just have to be diligent on not shooting until we are earsafe.

I think we need suppressors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't. I wouldn't be able to hear any deer walk up behind me if I did because my hearing sucks anyway. When I get buck fever I never hear my own shot. I only did if I was shooting a doe. Now I hunt with a suppressor so it's all null in void.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't laugh at those guys anymore. I have enough hearing loss. I wear plugs when using the mower or trimmer

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends.   Prairie dogs?   Yes.  

Elk and deer?   No.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I always wear at least ear pro unless I'm shooting a .22. When hunting I usually don't wear eye pro. I wear eye pro during pretty much every other shooting activity though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes and when mowing the lawn, using the string trimmer and blower too.  I think it's my age catching up to me.  I'm 37 and have TMJ and severe tinnitus in my right ear.  So bad that I have to sleep with a big box fan next to me to drown it out.  Last year I got a couple pair of the surefire ear plugs and love them for anything with a loud noise.  2 years ago my friend unloaded a .338 Federal about 3 feet to the side and 1 foot back from my left ear trying to hit a monster buck.  It's had ringing ever since.  I ended up shooting the buck and the doe it was chasing within 30 seconds of each other.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
FUDD hats with flaps that cover the ears and yellow tinted glasses.
View Quote
Awesome
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never hear the shot.

Auditory exclusion ftw.

Tinnitus ftw

I've had permanent tinnitus since my dad drew and fired his 357 maximum pistol while I was standing in front and to the left of him at age 11. I've had much worse tinnitus since it took 20 rounds of 270 loaded with crappy bullets and 5 rounds of 40 S&W to dispatch an elk when I was 15.

Wear ear pro or buy suppressors. I got both.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Waterfowl yes. Big game no. I guess for me it comes down to do I expect a single shot, maybe a follow up, or a morning of shooting with more than one gun in the blind. Bowhunting, ha no.

If I were to go varmint or other hunting, again I would apply the same logic. Coyote in a field? Probably not, fighting off an invasion of rockchucks? Yes.

ETA: Eyes? I almost always have prescription sunglasses when outside. I usually take the off with the rifle and leave them on with the shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:42:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I never have, but I'm hearing more and more from folks that they are and I should be. Do any of you guys wear eye or ear protection while big game hunting, for instance? It seems like hearing protection would be robbing you of one of your key means of game detection.
View Quote

A bow is not loud at all. Whats wrong with you?

And on the slight chance your talking rifle hunting, No... didn't know they even made foam plugs at the time.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't while hunting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:11:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wear ear pro in our data center, if I know I'm going to be in there for longer than 15 minutes or so. It's fooking LOUD in there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take my pants off in data centers.  That cool air feels so good on your balls.  

Anything louder than a power drill and I have ear protection.

These ears don't rinnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#30]
I work around equipment where extended exposure even with plugs and muffs can cause hearing loss... I don't need to wear ear plugs when hunting. I barely hear the gun go off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Yep, eye pro and electronic ear pro.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:24:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I've always worn eye pro (polarized Oakley) only once worn Sordins-
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I wear eye and ear protection when hunting with a gun.  Eye pro only when bow hunting.  I also wear eyes and ears when running power tools, lawn equipment, etc.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#34]
No, don't be a pussy.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#35]
No.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My ear pro is screwed on the end of my barrel.

I wear clear lenses at night because I can't see branches and such. During the day, I am always wearing sunglasses.

View Quote

Likewise, suppressed for deer.

Prescription lenses for the eyes (sunglasses or clear).

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:43:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, don't be a pussy.
View Quote

WHAT?!  SPEAK UP!
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#38]
I have worn electronic muffs on occasion, mainly to be able to hear gobbling a little better.

Over the last couple of months I've been looking at the smaller in the ear electronic stuff. I never wore anything for the first 10 years or so of shooting and the ringing in my ears is proof. Most of that ringing is due to being a stupid 19 year old shooting a braked TC Contender in 44 Mag. We shot a box of 25 with no ear pro. Yes, that was stupid.

Generally I don't even hear the gun when hunting.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No because I can hunt with a suppressor. Ahh living with freedom.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Have you heard what a 300 Winchester Magnum sounds like without ear protection?
View Quote

Sure, through a can...
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I started doing that a few years ago, mainly so I can listen to music/podcasts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:18:07 AM EDT
[#42]
No, and I regret it now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Electronic earpor is cheap and actually helps you hear whats around you. No reason not to have it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

This is my main concern with them, I dont want to get all amped up every time I hear a squirrel thinking its my dream buck.
Hell that happens enough as it is without hearing the squirrels the next valley over too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For under about $50.00 buy electronic ear pro-THEY AMPLIFY SOUND AROUND YOU and allow you to hear things you would not normally pick up. Why would you not use electronic hearing protection? You get better amplified hearing and hearing protection. I have the green howard lights and they work great.

I tried that.  Squirrels sound like a moose.  I couldn't stand it.  I turned them way down then got tired of the hassle.  

This is my main concern with them, I dont want to get all amped up every time I hear a squirrel thinking its my dream buck.
Hell that happens enough as it is without hearing the squirrels the next valley over too.

Put them on turn them up 3/4 of the way and do daily activities around the house and outside, won't take long to get accustomed to what sound is what. I can tell a bird moving around in trees from a squirrel, and during the rut deer  are laughably easy sounds like a 300lb man running after a cake though the woods.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:15:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Always eye protection.
Not just for firearms; no one needs a whipped branch to the eyeball.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#46]
No, but after taking the edge of a maple leaf to the eyeball on sunday I'm thinking otherwise
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top