Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen people in Germany bring dogs into resaurants many times.  No big deal...no one cared and the dog would quietly sit under the table while the people ate.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
My dog is better behaved than the kids on a leash
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Pet Smart, Petco, and Home Depot, and of course some smaller stores (non pet related) that allow well behaved pets. I do this to keep my vicious Pitbull fed socialized.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Petco is the only place it's acceptable to take a dog.

This. I actually saw an attention whore with a minature pony in petsmart. A damn pony no shit. It was clip clopping around the store. I have no idea what she brought it there in. There were no horse trailers in the parking lot and the store was 50 miles from anything resembling horse country.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I honestly think that is a huge part of why people take their pets in to any establishment .  They just seem to love it when someone pays attention to or asks a question about their pet. Very odd.

I actually take my APBT to help dispel the myths, very much like those found here in GD, and show people that they're not all baby killers, that some ignorant fucks and the media would have you believe, if that makes me an attention whore, then so be it!

Edit:
he also goes because the employees absolutely love him, and there are actually two cat rescues that use him to dog test cats, and he's got a couple scars to prove it! so I guess that actually makes both of us attention whores? or would I be his pimp??
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:15:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why do you take your dog to PetSmart?

Unless you're going there to have the dog groomed or use other on-site services.

You can't stop at other stores, do you just make a special trip?

I know it's allowed, I know you can, but I'm interested in what makes people take a special trip to PetSmart just so they can walk the dog around in the store.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my dog fucking LOVES to be in the car. If you say "trip" around him, he goes nuts...knows he's gonna go for a car ride. So, sometimes I'll drive him to the big dog park where there's a pond he swims in, and stop by the pet store or TSC and go in...buy him a new frisbee or whatever. Cute girls like to pet him, which isn't a bad thing to watch him bury his snout in their crotch.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never had a problem taking my dog places. You just have to tell them to be on their best behavior.

http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2011/5/10/cbf222b7-cda4-4122-acf7-e202173e6f01_thumb.jpeg

http://cdniseagle07.edublogs.org/files/2010/03/capybara2-1.jpg

that's one hell of a dag!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Unless you're going there to have the dog groomed or use other on-site services.

I know it's allowed, I know you can, but I'm interested in what makes people take a special trip to PetSmart just so they can walk the dog around in the store.

We go just for him actually, and we get his dry food once a week, and pick up a toy on each visit, but honestly, he's there just for the social aspect, he loves people (not eating them as some of the anti APBT people would have you believe) and cares more about them than he does the other dogs. Luckily there are several Petsmarts locally and we alternate, typically spend 45mins then bring him home and will do our errands afterwards. Petsmart is a good enviroment to expose your dog to stimulus and to socialize them as they'll encounter people, dogs, and sometimes cats (popular with cat rescues). I know several dog trainers that work with clients and they will visit Petsmart for these very reasons.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

Me three.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#10]
My dog is well-behaved when leashed and I'll take him anywhere he's allowed. Unfortunately, he's not allowed many places.

I firmly believe restaurant owners should be able to make their own rules on pets. It's their place, after all.

Some months ago I was in a restaurant when a guy came in with a Diabetic Assist Dog. Lots of patrons seemed to disapprove; my wife and I ended up having a long conversation with they guy, who was very nice. His dog was also impressively trained and we got to watch him do his thing (smell and react to changing blood sugar levels) on the spot. Impressive.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Sometimes I just get tired of beating my dog and yelling at him, so to show him I am a benevolent god I take him to Petsmart
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My dog is well-behaved when leashed and I'll take him anywhere he's allowed. Unfortunately, he's not allowed many places.

I firmly believe restaurant owners should be able to make their own rules on pets. It's their place, after all.

Some months ago I was in a restaurant when a guy came in with a Diabetic Assist Dog. Lots of patrons seemed to disapprove; my wife and I ended up having a long conversation with they guy, who was very nice. His dog was also impressively trained and we got to watch him do his thing (smell and react to changing blood sugar levels) on the spot. Impressive.

reminds me of a odd encounter I had a couple of years ago! was in a local store (Big Lots) picking up some cleaning supplies for the store and I see a gentleman come in with a GSD wearing a vest with "Service Dog" on it and several pieces of ID hanging from the dog collar, the guy could hardly walk straight, and some bozo store employee comes running up loudly telling the guy "HEY! no dogs in here!" to which I looked at the kid and told him that was a service dog and it most certainly is allowed in the store, and to get back to sweeping or whatever it was he was doing.  I encounter service dogs all of the time, it tends to get dusty when I think just how good of a friend they are to us, truly driving home the "Man's Best Friend" title.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sometimes, yeah. Other times if I'm running errands that are just a quick stop in and out then he waits out in the car.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, animals should never go anywhere, they don't know how to act.    

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#15]
A lady had a monkey in a dress at the grocery store the other day.  Brightened up my trip quite a bit.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I guess I grew up old school because I see no reason any animals should be allowed in to any stores.

Too bad.

I love taking my dog with me to HD, Lowes, and the gun store.  They don't mind, so you're free to leave.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most dogs enjoy getting out to see new places and meet new people and dogs.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've taken my Macaw (in my avatar) out to petsmart before.  

The people that bred my Senegal take their macaw EVERYWHERE - including hooters.  They eat outside and the restaurant doesn't care.

Then again bird poop only takes half a second and a tissue to clean up .
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

free pig ears
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#20]
There's a few people that bring their large working dogs to the local lowes. They usually sit in a cart or lay down on one of the large flatbed carts. Ive never stepped in or seen piss or shit. I think the problem you guys are seeing is the people, not the dogs.

A pony would be cool id let my free monkey ride it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm surprised to see all the people bringing them to Lowe's and Home Depot.  I go quite a bit and I've never noticed someone doing it.

What makes people think it's OK at these places?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:35:18 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a suspiciously high number of "service" dogs in my neighborhood.  One woman carries a service Teacup Pomeranian everywhere she goes.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#23]
As mentioned unless it is a service dog, or the store is a pet store get those damn dogs the fuck out of there.

I went off on some middle age POS woman last summer who had a dog in a local grocery store.  The store staff didn't have any balls to say something to her.  I went up to her and told her to get her damn animal away from the food it was trying to get on and to keep that dog at home.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm surprised to see all the people bringing them to Lowe's and Home Depot.  I go quite a bit and I've never noticed someone doing it.

What makes people think it's OK at these places?

Probably has something to do with the store being OK with it, just my guess.

There's an outdoor mall near me that allows animals, in fact it caters to them with poop scoop stations and water.  if the individual store doesn't want animals in it they put a small sign up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#25]
It's because management at most, if not all stores has become pussies. They're so afraid of offending the almighty Customer that if an animal comes into the store they're usually only permitted to ask if it is a service animal. If the customer says yes, they are not permitted to ask for paperwork to prove that. The idea being that the animal could be a siezure dog or something even less traditional, like "the dog warns me of approaching danger". Some stores are so easygoing on the "service animal" idea that I could almost buy a cobra and carry it in. When confronted I can say it's a service animal because I have it to bite people trying to rob me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#26]
No. Things have changed over the years and people's lack of consideration for others seems to have increased.  There was a time that most considerate parents wouldn't bring their kids into stores and restraunts. Dogs weren't even along for the ride.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank You
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1

pet stores that welcome animals, sure... take your dog...

other than that... if you don't own the place keep your dog out (of course, you own the store bring your dog... I like going to a store and the owners have a friendly dog there. Gives me something to do while the wife shops)

I should add - stores that welcome animals also...

I have no problems with dogs, it's usually the owners that piss me off

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I saw someone ride their horse to the mall once in the early 90's.  They tied it off up front and went inside to shop.  Never seen anything like it before or since.

in PR, everyone rides to the Bar....

I can get behind that
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who was the guy on here that used to put a service vest on his cat and pretend he was blind with his 'seeing eye cat'?

That was a riot!

Piccolo

if you think he's funny here, try having dinner with him
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I take my dog to Petsmart as much as possible; it's good for her to meet other dogs.

Speed
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#32]
I take one of my goats with a leash into TSC at times

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I loved CO for that reason.  Pets are welcome in tons of places, especially in the smaller towns.  It makes me smile.

There's a jewelry/trinket shop at the end of the main street in Estes Park that always has a big, white GSD laying on the floor.  Coolest dog ever.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#34]
I can't speak for anyone else, but my dog fucking LOVES to be in the car. If you say "trip" around him, he goes nuts.  

Same here- he sometimes has a sitdown protest right next to the truck if he thinks he hasn't been driven around enough recently...  

But I don't take him in anywhere- there is no Petco or such around for me to do that in, and I don't think it's suitable in most other places.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#35]
My dog goes just about everywhere with me, most stores don't mind, the employees usually love him. He's friendly, pisses/shits on nothing, barks almost never, and is very well behaved.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I work in a family owned feed store to put myself through school. I must see 5 dogs minimum a day. Most are heelers, austrailian shepherds, and german shepherds, with the occasional ankle biter or pitbull.

Don't have a problem with it. Most people that bring dogs in are supremely courteous, and mindful of their critters.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:49:40 AM EDT
[#37]
My dogs>your kids.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree!

X2!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#39]
A lot of places that see my dog with me regularly, get disappointed on the days I don't bring him. Several stores keep treats on hand for him.

Dillon Precision, J&G Sales, and many other gun shops out here love it when he visits.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I take my shepherd with me everywhere I go. She also comes in lots of places with me too. But she is old and very well behaved.

If I get any flack, I just tell them it's a service dog. IIRC, the 1968 american's with disability act says that it's illegal for the business to ask any additional questions once you tell them it's a service animal.  But I could be wrong on this part?

You are close . A service dog is not required to have any kind of identifying vest , collar , etc. , and the owner does not have to provide any kind of proof . It is not illegal to ask , they just aren't required to provide any . This is a good thing for people like you who choose to cheat the system  

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:09:19 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't worry what others do or even give a shit.

But then again I am not your average Republican that wants everyone to live like them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I have found that these are people who think their dogs are kids. These are also the same people who, when in a group of people talking about their kids, pull out pictures of their dog and act like it's a human being. A guy I work with is like this. He talks to his wife on the phone every day and asks about "the little man" and asks if the dog misses him. I also heard him telling another coworker that he needs to have a talk with his dog about maybe getting a little brother....

Yes, those people are fucking psychotic, its a fucking animal that eats its own shit.  Its not a fucking child, stop acting like some pathetic asshole by treating it as such.  The people who act like this are like children themselves, grow up already for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#43]
To change to the pet a bit, my cat is deaf so the only time she gets out is when she goes for a ride.  She loves watching the cars as they drive by and she loves the birds at Petsmart.  Yes I make a special trip for her, I do like her to be happy.

Prep

Edit: She has never gone to the bathroom outside the house.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#44]
We own a little store where people pay bills, get money orders, pawn shop.  The dog is present whenever the store is open.  We have lost a few customers but overall he has quite a fan club!  Work would not be the same without him.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I saw someone ride their horse to the mall once in the early 90's.  They tied it off up front and went inside to shop.  Never seen anything like it before or since.

People around here take horses to the store all the time.
Usually pulling a buggy or a wagon, but often horseback.

Amish country.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:05:41 AM EDT
[#46]
There's a gun store in OKC with a chihuahua that lives on the counter by the cash register. Friendly little bastard.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Granted, I do live outside a small town in Texas. The guy that runs the hardware store keeps his dog behind the cash register. If I don't take my GSD with me around town people ask where he is.
The drive thru tellers at the bank give him treats and talk to him. Went to a shopping center in Plano once and as I was getting out of the truck a security guard pulls up and says I cannot leave my dog in the vehicle. It was not hot and would have been OK. I just said OK, I'll go somewhere else to spend my money and drove off.

Quite possibly a local ordnance as the locals dislike seeing animals being abused in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:14:45 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have found that these are people who think their dogs are kids. These are also the same people who, when in a group of people talking about their kids, pull out pictures of their dog and act like it's a human being. A guy I work with is like this. He talks to his wife on the phone every day and asks about "the little man" and asks if the dog misses him. I also heard him telling another coworker that he needs to have a talk with his dog about maybe getting a little brother....

Yes, those people are fucking psychotic, its a fucking animal that eats its own shit.  Its not a fucking child, stop acting like some pathetic asshole by treating it as such.  The people who act like this are like children themselves, grow up already for fucks sake.

I'll try to remember to keep my cell phone with me so when you stroke out over my dog, I might be able to dial 911 in time to save your life.

And I don't give any more of a shit over the whining from people who don't like my sidearm.  Tough.  Don't like it, leave.  Or buy the business so you can ban me.  Until then, your silly little opinion means nothing to anyone except you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:16:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Most dogs behave better than a lot of the people out there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't worry what others do or even give a shit.
But then again I am not your average Republican that wants everyone to live like them.

That's certainly not the case with many of us- I don't have that expectation at all.  But I treat others with common courtesy and think it's reasonable to expect the same.

In that regard, I don't think it is appropriate for a dog to piss all over someone else's floor (like the OP talked about).  I don't take my dog in with me because I've only had him a month, so I can't be sure he'll always behave in a manner I think appropriate.  If your dog can and does behave perfectly, good for you.  But if your dog can't, like in the example, then shame on you for going out and about spreading jackassitude to others who simply happen to be around you.

Does that difference make sense?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top