Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/18/2019 2:34:25 PM EDT
In a world full of power tools it’s easy to forget how effective a hacksaw with a new blade can be.  Might even be faster in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope

Its awful

I say this as a guy that uses a hacksaw more than power tools

A die grinder with a cut off wheel is a magical thing comparatively
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope

Its awful

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope

Its awful

View Quote
You don’t like that feeling when you’re about to give up and rest for a moment, but something inside you tells you to keep going a little more and powee through it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
no, I must have shit hacksaws, I always wind up sawing on them forever, making no progress forever,  getting pissed and breaking off the grinder and bunch of cutting wheels.

THAT cuts stuff fast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
No but l"ll occasionally rub one out after using a plasma cutter.

Ughhhhhhhhhhh...........yeah...........Ughhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
A shotgun barrel

Anything else
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]
No lol. I'm not Amish, I'm plugging a power tool in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
no, I must have shit hacksaws, I always wind up sawing on them forever, making no progress forever,  getting pissed and breaking off the grinder and bunch of cutting wheels.

THAT cuts stuff fast.
View Quote
Use a fresh blade.  Keep a bunch of new ones handy.  After struggling with a dull blade, pop in a new one and it feels like you’re cutting through butter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don’t like that feeling when you’re about to give up and rest for a moment, but something inside you tells you to keep going a little more and powee through it.
View Quote
I know what youre talking about

And every time I think how I need to buy something that can cut with authority for my garage.

Theres nothings worse than spending an hour cutting on something that should take a min or two when being careful with a power tool
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a hacksaw constantly.
Never really thought about it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Most people do not know how to use a hacksaw, in terms of choosing blade material, TPI V cut metal type and thickness, and even how to set the saw up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
One time after cutting pieces out of a ceramic flower pot with a hacksaw, effortlessly.
I pondered that I could cut anything.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
If the blade is not labeled "Lennox" you can stop there at that point, no need to carry on further. It's going to suck.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most people do not know how to use a hacksaw, in terms of choosing blade material, TPI V cut metal type and thickness, and even how to set the saw up.
View Quote
I've got to admit that I've never given it a thought.
Any other saw, I think about what blade I'm using. I have a ton of options for every saw I own with an exchangeable blade, except my hacksaw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Only when I'm doing it on a lathe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Only if that hacksaw has Metabo on the side.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
While I prefer a torch or power tools, hand-sawing is oddly satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Cutoff wheel.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If the blade is not labeled "Lennox" you can stop there at that point, no need to carry on further. It's going to suck.
View Quote
Hmm, I’ve been using Lennox blades.  Maybe that’s why my experience has been so satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I just bought a new hacksaw and left it on my workbench.  My wife texts me the next day that she's all excited because she used my new saw to cut thru a board!  I told her that saw is for cutting metal...facepalm.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Fuck no.

And I use tools daily.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Plasma cutter FTW
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hmm, I’ve been using Lennox blades.  Maybe that’s why my experience has been so satisfying.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:58:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I never can get that shit cut straight.  I have to plan on cutting it just a wee bit too big and then filing/grinding it to size.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#29]
When heat treatment is an issue, no.

Also you need a hacksaw blade in your survival kit.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Also, the softer the metal, the coarser the blade. Harder, thicker material, finer TPI. To cut a piece of rigid EMT, I would go with an 18-24TPI. For a piece of sched 80 iron pipe, I would use a 32TPI. For a thick piece of Al bar stock, an 18TPI.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#32]
plate=millfuckee metal skill saw
little cuts=metabo 6" grinder with cut off blade or 3" air powered cut off wheel
curved or multi angel=hypotherm
ar15 barrels=dremmel

I don't fuck around with cutting metal any more, it took me 4 hours to cut up some stock for a fireplace when all I had was a skill saw+abrasive blade and a 4" angle grinder.

I ordered a plasma and the Milwaukee metal  saw. That saw is a amazing

eta I also have a sawzalll wit lennox blades for tubing and other smallish stuff
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I use hand tools as often as possible, saws, screw drivers, etc etc. People are amazed at my grip when I shake their hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm the same way with cheap liquor.
You get to a point where you just want to stop, or you'll throw up. But then you see the last couple of shots in the bottle, and you're like " well, nobody else is gonna drink this shit".
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Can't say as I have ever enjoyed it.

What I do enjoy is setting up a cut in my bandsaw, dropping the arm and doing other things until I hear the saw turn off.
Plasma cutter is a close second in terms of satisfying cutting tools to use.
Sawzall gets an honorable mention.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:18:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Plasma > bandsaw > cold saw > cutoff wheel > torch > hot saw > sawzall > axe > hacksaw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope

Its awful

Same thing with a powered angle grinder and a cutting disc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#40]
No.  Portaband FTW.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Young kids don't even know what a hacksaw is, let alone carry one. Everyone nowadays uses a small portaband or metal cutting circ saw...

...I cut some EMT with my hacksaw this past weekend
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#42]
@benchmade what are your thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nope

Its awful

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#44]
You ain't livin' unless you've got a grinder with a cut-off wheel and the guard removed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Plasma cutter for FTW.

Most satisfying cutter of steel that I've seen.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

THAT cuts stuff fast.
View Quote
Make sure the blade isn't on there backwards! That's an old gag to do to someone's hacksaw...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I cant think of any cases where a hacksaw would be faster than an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I cant think of any cases where a hacksaw would be faster than an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
View Quote
Say if you have to cut through a 1/2" bolt in tight place where you can only get the grinder onto it at an angle, resulting in a ton of metal to have to go through, instead of a nice narrow clean cut straight across with the hacksaw, using a new Lennox blade of the proper TPI.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Plasma cutter for FTW.

Most satisfying cutter of steel that I've seen.
View Quote
Well yeah, but are you really hauling your HD cutter along every time you need to make a cut or two out in the field? That's like erecting a batch plant to set a single mailbox post.

I need three custom nipples. Well fuck a bunch of buying nipples, I have to set up my shop threader straight away!

I need to trim this 2x4 3". Well, shit hand saws suck, so you have to drive back to the shop and bring the portable miter saw, because I don't know how to use a hand saw effectively.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:43:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one where you have the hacksaw along and the angle grinder is 37 miles away because you can't always have everything along and for another thing you didn't even think you were going to need a metal saw of any kind?

That seems faster, to me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top