Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I use mine often for quick simple cuts rather than dig out the power tools, it is kind of fun.

I also use a coping saw for wood trim work sometimes. A perfectly hand coped joint or cap is oddly satisfying to me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use mine often for quick simple cuts rather than dig out the power tools, it is kind of fun.

I also use a coping saw for wood trim work sometimes. A perfectly hand coped joint or cap is oddly satisfying to me.
View Quote
I’ll go with that. Coping saw can be the best tool at times.  Getting through steel and metals require horsepower imo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A good sharp hacksaw will be a necessity in the post  apocalyptic world.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Don’t trust the dull, rusty throw downs that may be out there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
In this thread we find those that don't understand when and why a hack saw with a good blade is the right tool for the some jobs.

Some who proclaim the torch as the end all be all should learn about heat affected zones.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some who proclaim the torch as the end all be all should learn about heat affected zones.
View Quote
Sir, nobody here wants any part of that global warming bit you're trying to sell. You can keep moving down the road and take your vegan ways with you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A good sharp hacksaw will be a necessity in the post  apocalyptic world.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97684/54BBE565-434A-440B-825E-C28E4A80A452_jpeg-882793.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/97684/9BCBBEA1-8451-4F26-8230-D5B06E4BFE60_jpeg-882794.JPG

Don’t trust the dull, rusty throw downs that may be out there.
View Quote
I was thinking about that exact scene from Mad Max when I was sawing with my havksaw over the weekend.  If he’d have had a new Lennox blade, he’d have escaped in time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I use hand tools as often as possible, saws, screw drivers, etc etc. People are amazed at my grip when I shake their hand.
View Quote
I did the same for years, now turning 60, I suffer from arthritis of my thumb joints
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I use hand tools as often as possible, saws, screw drivers, etc etc. People are amazed at my grip when I shake their hand.
View Quote
They are probably amazed you feel the need to squeeze the fuck out of their hand.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Do we get to define faster only in terms of the single cut and ignore all the hassle of getting set up for it in the definition of time, then? Seems to be a lot of that on the opposition side here. Look at my shop bandsaw! Yeah, I'm in a dude's wellhouse out in Bumfuckia, rural. I need to cut one piece of pipe one time. Or maybe even three pieces. Breaking, the shop saw is in the shop, 87 miles round trip away. Assuming I can do all three cuts in one trip. What If I think I need just one cut, do the trip, then find out I need one more?

Trust GD to miss points.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
No one and especially not the OP, is even hinting that the best most efficient way to cut metal all day at peak output is a hand powered hacksaw, all you terminally retarded idjits. Jesus jumped up on a rusty, 2 wheeled tricycle, and wept, for there were no more retards to troll.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:49:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No one and especially not the OP, is even hinting that the best most efficient way to cut metal all day at peak output is a hand powered hacksaw, all you terminally retarded idjits. Jesus jumped up on a rusty, 2 wheeled tricycle, and wept, for there were no more retards to troll.
View Quote
Thank you sir and for the knowledge you brought to the thread.

The level of disgust expressed by some individuals toward the idea of using a hacksaw kind of took me by surprise.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thank you sir and for the knowledge you brought to the thread.

The level of disgust expressed by some individuals toward the idea of using a hacksaw kind of took me by surprise.
View Quote
It's edgy. Like, oh we have GPS, no need to have any map and compass and astrogation skills. Oh we have printers, no need to know how to fucking write with a pen. Oh we have industrial power tools, no need to have any hand tool skills. Well, see, the designers of all those things had a thorough knowledge of the principle antecedents before they designed the techno shortcuts.

This is why when I was a tot in the 70's, I wasn't allowed to use a calculator for my math tests. I had to show that I understood the math, first, before I was allowed to use a shortcut in the name of productivity.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I like using this one.

Very rewarding.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's edgy. Like, oh we have GPS, no need to have any map and compass and astrogation skills. Oh we have printers, no need to know how to fucking write with a pen. Oh we have industrial power tools, no need to have any hand tool skills. Well, see, the designers of all those things had a thorough knowledge of the principle antecedents before they designed the techno shortcuts.

This is why when I was a tot in the 70's, I wasn't allowed to use a calculator for my math tests. I had to show that I understood the math, first, before I was allowed to use a shortcut in the name of productivity.
View Quote
That is true.  You see a lot of that today with the software you just plug numbers into to spit out results without understanding how it did that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 5:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The problem with power tools and technology is it tempts you to think you are more skilled than you actually are by hitching a parasitic ride on someone else's greater skill.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#17]
After a long day at the mill in town I like to ride home, tend the horses, carry in water and firewood for the night, make sure the flintlock is primed. Then I relax by sawing thru metal with a hand powered tool under the glint of ye old coal oil lamp.
I make my own nails that way
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
After a long day at the mill in town I like to ride home, tend the horses, carry in water and firewood for the night, make sure the flintlock is primed. Then I relax by sawing thru metal with a hand powered tool under the glint of ye old coal oil lamp.
View Quote
I'm down with that as fun. If you mean that you think we think and are advocating that as a superior method for industrial production, then you are a lame ass fag that has precisely missed the point. You can't design an industrial process unless you have a grasp of the fundamental tech, and your assumption that you can start from the standpoint of an advanced industrial society is precisely why you will someday bow down to the masters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Smarter and Safer, obviously. But not faster
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cant think of any cases where a hacksaw would be faster than an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
Cutting right next to a gas tank.
Smarter and Safer, obviously. But not faster
Touche
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
No, he'll no.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm down with that as fun. If you mean that you think we think and are advocating that as a superior method for industrial production, then you are a lame ass fag that has precisely missed the point. You can't design an industrial process unless you have a grasp of the fundamental tech, and your assumption that you can start from the standpoint of an advanced industrial society is precisely why you will someday bow down to the masters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude you need to step away from your keyboard and go out & get some exercise.
I don't even think your reply was to my post.
If it was, either sober up or work on reading comp.
eta: I would reply further but right now I must hitch up a team and plow the east field.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#22]
I remember breaking blades as a kid....
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

eta: I would reply further but right now I must hitch up a team and plow the east field.
View Quote
How dare you deny the orgasmic experience of using inefficient methods of manual labor?!?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
We must agree that you didn't get the point of the OP

"Weird" Al Yankovic - Amish Paradise (Parody of "Gangsta's Paradise" - Official HD Video)
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Bet 87 dollars I can read gooder than anyone you've ever met or even heard of, but hey, whatever.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
It's so much more efficient to set up an industrial method of production each and every time you need to make a singular metal cut rather than use a hand powered hacksaw. Fuck yeah, let's all go full retard.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Fucking humans. I hope and cannot wait for the extinction because the species is not deserving of existence. I don't even care if I survive. I hope I get to see that look on their faces, but really I don't give much of a shit. I wish I had access to the button.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
They are probably amazed you feel the need to squeeze the fuck out of their hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I have ludicrous grip strength, but I don't squeeze the shit out of every hand I shake. Most people don't like that...
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#29]
No I do not, but sometimes it is more convenient.
I'd also rather not use an ax to fell a tree since I have a chainsaw!

I built my last two airplanes (both made from aluminum) and if I had to use hand tools for cutting and forming the metal I would still be building them instead of flying them....
As far as the hacksaw - I have three of 'em, I prefer using my bandsaw but sometimes a simple handsaw works quicker for certain purposes.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top