Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
No people from the Higlands tend to be more clannish in my opinion.

"We'll build spears twice as long as a man."
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe it just has been my experience and others that I know.  Like I said the majority of southerners are more friendly than any other people I know and are not like this.  I like southerners more so than any other region of the country.

I've lived in the south my entire life, but I agree with the OP.

Moved to the middle of MS from FL, and could not break in to the cliques in the local church. Moved to East TN, same thing. Moved to north GA- took about 3+ years before we were 'accepted' by the local folk. Moved to north MS, have had a hard time being accepted at church- switched churches, now things are great.

I think part of the issue was trying to hang with the old money,  blue-blood types. Once we found folks like us, thing were much easier.

so

you found it difficult to fit in in Tn, Ga, Ms and agian with in Ms
and you think the Southerners were the issue

I noticed this also.

Hessian-1

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mexicans in northern New Mexico are very clannish.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The Mexicans in northern New Mexico are very clannish.

I think you mean cartelish.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I ask this because I have lived all over the country at one time or another and found it to be more prevalant in the south.  Now before someone bashes me for being against people from the south I currently live in the south and have for 31 of my 44 years.  I love the south and the people and consider myself a southerner

But I have found them to be more clannish and I do not consider it to be a good trait.  My Uncle Neal who was born in Tennessee and was as southern as the sky is blue also felt the same way.  

An example:  He married my aunt who was from Indiana and use to take her every year to the family get togethers in TN.  The first time he took her they basically shunned her and gave her the cold shoulder.  Now my aunt was a good hearted person and loved by all who knew her.  She told Uncle Neal what had happened and he tore into them (his family).  He basically told them if they ever did that again they would never see him again and they could rot in hell.  After that they treated my aunt like gold when she came with Uncle Neal to the family reunion.  She was treated as part of the family.  However, when Uncle Neal died of cancer 35 years later she tried to continue to go the family reunion they once again shunned her and gave her the cold shoulder and made it known she was not welcome.  

I have found the example above to be more common in the south than other places in the country.  My Uncle said this was a trait southerners need to learn to lose especially when it comes to people that marry into the family or people that move into the community and are not a threat to their way of life.  ( he understands initially why people are wary of strangers but once they are seen to be okay people they should be accepted)  

Now this does not mean that all southerners are like this or even that the majority are like this just that I find it more in this area than others.  Thoughts?

See the problem is you are associating with carpetbaggers. Real southerners don't act that way.

This
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You will find clannish-ness pretty much all over the place..................I've seen it in Colorado, Indiana ( where I have family), Ohio and other places.........it takes awhile for some to warm up to people they dont know down in the South, but once you do it's all good from then on out........now if I could just convince those damned Hoosier cousins of mine to stop asking for POP instead of a soft drink I might be making some progress
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Friendliest people in the world are in Minnesota.  The South and West generally are very friendly as well.  East coast (DC to Boston) tends to be the most cliquish IME.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it is more of a rural/limited contact with the outside world/everybody knows everybody kind of thing.

Also, there is not really a "South".  There are various southern states, and each has various regions, and how they treat outsiders is going to vary a lot from any of those regions to another.

Some are 'citified' aka urbanized, others  are farming communities, others are rural manufacturing towns, etc.

That said, OP, the treatment you described is pretty crappy.  Anyone who has known someone for years, and welcomed  them, is a two-faced sunofabitch for shunning them later simply because their family connection has passed.

That isn't unique to the south, or southern states.  It's maybe unique to folks who can't deal with the fact that there is a world outside their little town.  I think provincial is the adjective to  use here.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yea, the way they treated my Aunt was crappy.  Maybe I should have listed that as an extreme example.  

But my Uncle was from Eastern TN and as another poster stated Eastern TN and Eastern KY are probably more extreme in being clannish than the rest of the area.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've noticed more of the behavior the OP mentions the closer you get to major metropolitan centers, regardless of their proximity to the Mason-Dixon Line.

Other than population density I've noticed the same behavior along economic lines. It's weird but its like there is a sweet spot somewhere in the lower middle class to middle class range where people seem to be more open and friendly. Lower middle class to poor tend to shun all outsiders even poor ones and the upper middle class to wealthy tend to shun anyone they think is of a lower economic status.

I realize I'm painting with a really really broad brush here but those are just my personal observations.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it just has been my experience and others that I know.  Like I said the majority of southerners are more friendly than any other people I know and are not like this.  I like southerners more so than any other region of the country.

Moved to the middle of MS from FL, and could not break in to the cliques in the local church. Moved to East TN, same thing. Moved to north GA- took about 3+ years before we were 'accepted' by the local folk. Moved to north MS, have had a hard time being accepted at church- switched churches, now things are great.

I think part of the issue was trying to hang with the old money,  blue-blood types. Once we found folks like us, thing were much easier.
bags, What part of north Ms do you live in? I moved from New Orleans to Oxford in '93. I work in Southaven now. I haven't ever had the problems you speak of. Granted my parents were from Quitman county, I have always been accepted here. You may be on to something with the old money point though.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I've lived 7 places in MS.
What I've found is that (outside of family) the more rural areas are very close knit. I'm on year 20 in my current location and my family is considered "new people".
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
De only things us whitey southerners hates mo dan them there colored folk is you dar idiots!!
All kidding aside some of the most racist people I have ever come across were from MN.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I only rep the "RED DRAGONS"

WE FSU (F Sh!t Up)
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Around here we treat others like family. That is, until they screw us over.

Glade to hear it. I coming over for dinner tomorrow. What's on the menu?
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've noticed more of the behavior the OP mentions the closer you get to major metropolitan centers, regardless of their proximity to the Mason-Dixon Line.

Other than population density I've noticed the same behavior along economic lines. It's weird but its like there is a sweet spot somewhere in the lower middle class to middle class range where people seem to be more open and friendly. Lower middle class to poor tend to shun all outsiders even poor ones and the upper middle class to wealthy tend to shun anyone they think is of a lower economic status.

I realize I'm painting with a really really broad brush here but those are just my personal observations.

Nope. For the most part you're on target.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've lived 7 places in MS.
What I've found is that (outside of family) the more rural areas are very close knit. I'm on year 20 in my current location and my family is considered "new people".

My parents come from northern Wisconsin, where if your great grandfather didn't live there, you're new.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't belong, southern hospitality is a mile wide and skin deep.

It's also like that in New Hampshire. "Welcome to New Hampshire. Now go home."

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around here we treat others like family. That is, until they screw us over.

Glade to hear it. I coming over for dinner tomorrow. What's on the menu?

Fried chicken, peas, mashed taters and cornbread.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Kentucky isn't the South.

I've seen clannish behavior all over the country. The worst is in the northeast. More racism up there too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't think it's specific to the south, just to areas where people don't really come or go (generally rural).
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
"That one sure has a pretty mouth...".

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
What do you mean by "Clannish"?  is that even a word?
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#25]
NYC area is probably the worst. Most folks won't even make eye contact up there unless they know you when walking through certain neighborhoods.

More rural you get the more people tend to build tight communities.

Texas for the most part is pretty friendly even in the most rural areas as long as you stay away from the old money cliques.

Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you confusing Southerners with Appalachians?  There is a difference.
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#27]
You haven't dealt with many New England townies have you?
Link Posted: 5/27/2011 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I 100% agree with the OP. I see it all the time.

I wasn't born and raised where I live now.

After I got back from Iraq, I mean within days of getting back, I was talking with some people I've worked with for 15 years. They were telling me about someone they new who was killed in Iraq recently.

I said how terrible it was, ect.

One of them said "but he was from here."

Meaning it's somehow worse someone "from here" being killed in combat. Like me being killed would have been bad, but not that bad -  'cause you know, I wasn't from here.

There are other much worse stories.

Ouch!
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 2:59:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The title is teh awesome.

You worked "Southern" and "Clannish" into the same sentence

http://www.paranormalknowledge.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kkk.jpg

Might want to learn to spell.........

Might want to get your sarcasm meter fixed....

My sarcasm meter is doing well.  My give a fuck meter has been in the shop recently................  

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The title is teh awesome.

You worked "Southern" and "Clannish" into the same sentence

http://www.paranormalknowledge.com/articles/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/kkk.jpg

Might want to learn to spell.........

Might want to get that eye looked at.  You are close to being that Goonie's guy.................

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I ask this because I have lived all over the country at one time or another and found it to be more prevalant in the south.  Now before someone bashes me for being against people from the south I currently live in the south and have for 31 of my 44 years.  I love the south and the people and consider myself a southerner

Now this does not mean that all southerners are like this or even that the majority are like this just that I find it more in this area than others.  Thoughts?

You'll find it in any area with a significant amount of inbreeding over a few generations.   There are a few areas in OH that come to mind.   I've seen more of that in the midwest than on either coast.   Some areas stagnated pretty quickly after settlement.   Others saw continuing waves of new immigrants moving though.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#32]
It is like that all over. I generally view it as a sign that people are of very poor character/intelligence.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My experience is the opposite.... that Southerners tend to be more open and friendly.

Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yea, the way they treated my Aunt was crappy.  Maybe I should have listed that as an extreme example.  

But my Uncle was from Eastern TN and as another poster stated Eastern TN and Eastern KY are probably more extreme in being clannish than the rest of the area.

I think the way your aunt was treated had more to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the particular individuals involved than their being from a certain geographical location.
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so

you found it difficult to fit in in Tn, Ga, Ms and agian with in Ms
and you think the Southerners were the issue

Didn't have a problem when we lived in TX.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2011 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#36]
For anyone that has a problem with the South, I hear that there is abundant cheap housing up north.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top