BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is my old school one in my 79 Ford.

Never find anyone to talk to

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/knoob/C360_2012-07-15-13-56-58.jpg

I first 'got into' radio with a non-working CB I bought from a neighbor and fixed years ago.  This is the first time I've ever seen that same model anywhere other than random online sites.  Mine still works, 25 or so years after I fixed the (if I recall correctly) input protection diodes.

Oh yes! Mine still works. I've got a few friends with CBs. We just use them for hunting camp/trail rides.

Thats the only time I find anyone to talk to.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
In my Dakota(Blue_Bee)

Radio Shack 40 Chan with weather band.
Yes. That is a rechargeable light in the center outlet. It is the size of a shotgun shell.

In my GMC 1ton van(Tow_Bee)
RadioShack 40 Chan. Sportsman

Also have another Sportman for my Earthforce tractor/loader/backhoe(Dig_Bee)

I also have a handheld Sportsman in the shed. Needs new rechargeable batteries.(Northern_Bee)

A 23Chan. at the camp.(Bee_Hive)
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:22:01 PM EDT
[#4]
what channel and code word to summon a lot lizard?

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure do!

It's small, it is probably a bit weak, it has a roof top mag antennae, but sure do!

And you know, when I get that pickup, I have another radio sitting around to go in it as well!

There's also a Midland hand held in the bail out bag.

Quoted:

With cell phones so cheap CB is (almost) dead. Sorry to say. I had alot of fun on there in the late 80's.

Good prices

Just remember, you are always one cell tower down from being without communications, PERIOD!

Now, I suspect that I won't get many answers if I transmitted on my CB out at my ranch.......but I'm still sending out a signal. On the cell phone, I'm either sending out no signal or if I manage to get a hold of someone, they can't hear me.

Quoted:
yep i don't think i have ever actually talked to it other than an occasional radio test. ham is cleaner, better range and not obsolete

On "obsolete", just remember what Santini said.

"We still dig holes with shovels."

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I did years ago before the advent of cell phones.

Though, technically I still do. There is a hand-held unit with magnetic antenna that plugs into the cig lighter in my SUV in the
tool compartment. The guy I bought it from left it there.

I've tested it, but never actually used it. Haven't had the need to yet.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I am an Inactive Ham, but have considers getting another radio to stick in my Jeep.

What is the stare of Ham radio Nowadays?

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there anything to using one of these?

I'm driving from Alaska to the lower 48 in a month, would it be useful (or cool) to toss one on my truck?  Theres not a whole lot of cell reception for a good stretch.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes used 4 wheeling as not every one has a Ham (2M & 70Cm in the truck as well)

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm driving from Alaska to the lower 48 in a month, would it be useful (or cool) to toss one on my truck?  Theres not a whole lot of cell reception for a good stretch.

I watched a show about a couple of Brit's driving the Alcan two months ago. They used the CB all the time. Saved their bacon twice when they swerved off the road and needed a tow and to not be rearended. I'd get a cheap Cobra 29 and a Wilson1000 mag mount if I were you. Maybe have the radio peaked and tweaked at a truck stop radio shop too.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#11]
when I put the one in the Jeep I also got a tuner. the hardest thing to find around here is a cb shop to tune it for you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep. Don't use it much though.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Always when I travel any distance.  Better than any radar detector!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
when I put the one in the Jeep I also got a tuner. the hardest thing to find around here is a cb shop to tune it for you.

If you buy an antenna with a tunable tip, you can do it yourself. You'll also have to have an SWR meter. A local truck stop quoted me $25 to tune mine, so I spent $23 on an SWR meter and did it myself. This way, I won't have to pay again if I ever need to tune it again.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched a show about a couple of Brit's driving the Alcan two months ago. They used the CB all the time. Saved their bacon twice when they swerved off the road and needed a tow and to not be rearended. I'd get a cheap Cobra 29 and a Wilson1000 mag mount if I were you. Maybe have the radio peaked and tweaked at a truck stop radio shop too.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got news for 'ya, that "tuner" is just a meter to show just how screwed up your antenna is. You, my friend, are the tuner!

You use the SWR meter to show how lomg or short the antenna is then you lengthan it (If you can) or cut a bit off until the meter says it's as good (Low SWR around 1.2 or 1.4) as it gets. Take off meter and put it in the garage where you'll never need it again. I'd tell you how to do all that exactly but every meter's different.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Same thing, but my hand-held is a Radio Shack - works plenty good enough for my needs.

Quoted:
Just a handheld Midland in my Jeep. If I was smart, I'd set up a vehicle antenna because it's set up for that. But I'm not claiming smart today.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same thing, but my hand-held is a Radio Shack - works plenty good enough for my needs.

Quoted:
Just a handheld Midland in my Jeep. If I was smart, I'd set up a vehicle antenna because it's set up for that. But I'm not claiming smart today.

Guys, your HT's will get out about 20% as well as a real CB will, and that's not saying much either. Nothing and I mean nothing beats the old 102 inch stainless whip. That ugly thing can talk and hear better than any other CB antenna bar none. If you can see the person you want to talk to your HT's will do fine.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guys, your HT's will get out about 20% as well as a real CB will, and that's not saying much either. Nothing and I mean nothing beats the old 102 inch stainless whip. That ugly thing can talk and hear better than any other CB antenna bar none. If you can see the person you want to talk to your HT's will do fine.

I've heard the same. The little antenna is worthless inside the confines of a car. The vehicle antenna that WindKnot mentioned seems like it would work well, though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes  until about 2 hours ago. Removed it in preparation for buying a new car.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I ditched the CB in 1999
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard the same. The little antenna is worthless inside the confines of a car. The vehicle antenna that WindKnot mentioned seems like it would work well, though.

That is one thing I like about the Midland in my jeep. It connects to an external antenna while in the vehicle, but I can snap on the battery back and put the little antenna on it to take it with me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

+1. Keep it for emergency backup.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am an Inactive Ham, but have considers getting another radio to stick in my Jeep.

VHF/UHF repeater traffic is still active all over, HF is active, and people are getting more involved in digital modes.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:03:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

VHF/UHF repeater traffic is still active all over, HF is active, and people are getting more involved in digital modes.

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_10/22_Ham_Radios.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
All I hear on the CB bands around here is jibber-jabber.  I only use CB when off roading as that's all my group uses.  

The 2 meter ham radio is preferred for radio comms.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I had mine on this morning while I was driving between three 18 wheelers down the highway to see if they were talking about me. I didn't hear anything, so I assume I was welcome. I also received and installed the new radio this afternoon.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#29]
CB: When you absolutely, positively, HAVE to get your message to another vehicle not more than 1/4 mile away.

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CB: When you absolutely, positively, HAVE to get your message to another vehicle not more than 1/4 mile away.

I can get out a little further than 1/4 mile.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top