Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 31
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I finally got a Safariland RDS holster with a mid ride UBL. I need a thigh strap now. Whats the preferred strap? I'm tempted by the True North plate but I'd almost rather try this way first.

Did I see a company that offered a strap with a grommet where it attaches to the UBL?
View Quote

Trex Arms makes a strap. You basically just sandwich the strap between the UBL and the holster or other attachment system your using.

Safariland also makes a strap adapter that mount to the lower bolt.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A micro battle belt, also known as a steel reinforced carry belt.

Anything that can double as a kidney belt seems a bit much.

I'm not operating operationally, so...
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I finally got a Safariland RDS holster with a mid ride UBL. I need a thigh strap now. Whats the preferred strap? I'm tempted by the True North plate but I'd almost rather try this way first.

Did I see a company that offered a strap with a grommet where it attaches to the UBL?
View Quote

I'll give a +1 for the True North plate and their strap. It feels comfortable and secure.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, I just have my -1980s era TA50.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Trex Arms makes a strap. You basically just sandwich the strap between the UBL and the holster or other attachment system your using.

Safariland also makes a strap adapter that mount to the lower bolt.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/346339/6ACC5211-7F65-4045-8684-B0CFA0A7E3BC_jpe-1665671.JPG
View Quote

What specifically is that, I cant find it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
A quick snap of my entrant in the "most basic belt" contest...although I may be the only one rocking a leg shroud in this thread.

Blue Alpha double molle belt
Esstac double pistol mag pouch
Safariland drop flex adapter with leg shroud and QLS receiver plate
Custom holster with QLS fork (P320 with WML...and another for an M11)
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Nutro

Do this.  Add the swivey thing and be happy.

I dig mine.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’m surprised this thread is still going. I’m glad I cost everyone a bunch of money

I finished mine and it’s the way I like it. Ran around the back yard for hours with it and it seems great. I’m doing a tactical games competition in November so that will be the true test.
View Quote

Yep, you cost me money. I posted in the Armory thread but here's a repost -

I had wanted a single padded belt system for bump-in-the-night scenario; this HSGI padded belt liner allows you to use any extra cobra-style belts you might have; very comfortable but slim enough that if I had to throw a coat on over it, it would work. (aside from the Safariland OWB dangling and the big IFAK on the back)

I'm working on a separate inner/outer belt for SHTF-type stuff. That one is lower priority for now.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yep, you cost me money. I posted in the Armory thread but here's a repost -

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453429/battle-belt-1664154.jpg

I had wanted a single padded belt system for bump-in-the-night scenario; this HSGI padded belt liner allows you to use any extra cobra-style belts you might have; very comfortable but slim enough that if I had to throw a coat on over it, it would work. (aside from the Safariland OWB dangling and the big IFAK on the back)

I'm working on a separate inner/outer belt for SHTF-type stuff. That one is lower priority for now.
View Quote

You're welcome!!! Looks good man
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 9:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing modern, but I have a full ALICE setup.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This thread ended up costing me money.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#12]

After tonight you may need it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#13]

One of the simplest/easiest things for us to put together that makes a huge difference though
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You’re not wrong, but I hope to never have to need it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go take a pistol class. You’ll need it for that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have taken several classes with a somewhat shitty belt.  This one will be much better.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I got a Medium eagle operator MC I’m looking to get rid of
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have taken several classes with a somewhat shitty belt.  This one will be much better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good gear is priceless when you’re playing around.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#19]

What ya got going on there?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What ya got going on there?
View Quote

This with a few add-ons.

My Belt
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A quick snap of my entrant in the "most basic belt" contest...although I may be the only one rocking a leg shroud in this thread.

https://i.imgur.com/mISLC07.jpg

Blue Alpha double molle belt
Esstac double pistol mag pouch
Safariland drop flex adapter with leg shroud and QLS receiver plate
Custom holster with QLS fork (P320 with WML...and another for an M11)
View Quote

Nice setup; even if you goofy-foot your mags.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nice setup; even if you goofy-foot your mags.  
View Quote

Blush.  It was hastily arranged.  I was screwing with mag pouch placement.  I have since moved it even closer to the buckle.

The WTF straps are pretty easy to work with once you get the hang of them...and rock solid when you understand how they are supposed to weave through.  I'm now a big fan.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
How do you guys size outer belts? I'm a 36-37ish in jeans, just sent back a 38 Daltech as it was just a touch tight in jeans (they said waist+2). A 40 should be fine as a regular belt, maybe even an IWB belt, and I think will work with a thin, minimalist battle belt. I've been looking at the HSGI Duty Grip. Should I get a 37 in that? I'd imagine I don't want any overlap in front. Pistol holster, double Esstac pouch, maybe a flashlight pouch and possibly a drop pouch. Fairly minimal. Safariland still hasn't gotten back to me about my holster; I suspect a phone call is in order. I did pick up a Raven Perun recently for the hell of it.

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/33DG0-33DG0.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How do you guys size outer belts? I'm a 36-37ish in jeans, just sent back a 38 Daltech as it was just a touch tight in jeans (they said waist+2). A 40 should be fine as a regular belt, maybe even an IWB belt, and I think will work with a thin, minimalist battle belt. I've been looking at the HSGI Duty Grip. Should I get a 37 in that? I'd imagine I don't want any overlap in front. Pistol holster, double Esstac pouch, maybe a flashlight pouch and possibly a drop pouch. Fairly minimal. Safariland still hasn't gotten back to me about my holster; I suspect a phone call is in order. I did pick up a Raven Perun recently for the hell of it.

View Quote

That's the exact outer belt I'm using here -

I usually wear 38 waist pants for the extra room (though I am working on losing weight, I used to wear a 34 ). The rigid belt is a Size 40 and is longer than needed but it was an extra belt I had. The HSGI belt I'm using there is a Medium (37" end to end) and it does NOT reach all the way around (you can tell in the picture the amount of "gap"). Going to a Large would be 42" end to end, which in my case might be about perfect but I'll stick with this.

In your case the Medium would probably be a good fit. I didn't know HSGI's lead time so I actually purchased my belt on eBay from a seller with a 31,000+ rating HERE - looks like they are out of Mediums in all colors though.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I usually wear 38 waist pants for the extra room (though I am working on losing weight, I used to wear a 34 ). The rigid belt is a Size 40 and is longer than needed but it was an extra belt I had. The HSGI belt I'm using there is a Medium (37" end to end) and it does NOT reach all the way around (you can tell in the picture the amount of "gap"). Going to a Large would be 42" end to end, which in my case might be about perfect but I'll stick with this.

In your case the Medium would probably be a good fit. I didn't know HSGI's lead time so I actually purchased my belt on eBay from a seller with a 31,000+ rating HERE - looks like they are out of Mediums in all colors though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is probably the best info since the answer is almost certainly different for different manufacturers.  For example, I have a 31-32" waist...and I often end up buying a 34" belt, but my Blue Alpha belt is a 32" and I have plenty of adjustment room.  I could go nuts over the holidays and it would still work.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Newb question here....
I am setting up my first real belt.  I want the ability to quick swap holsters and mag pouches (single stack to double).  I got a Ragnarok holster with QLS, so that should be easy to swap.  The mag pouches, I got esstacs with belt loops, thinking I could put the loops on/off directly on the belt, without having to undo the holster and belt buckle.  Looks like that may not be the case.  I can't seem to get the loops onto the pouch while on the belt, and all of the videos i have seen show people putting the loops on off the belt and then sliding it around the belt, which is what I wanted to avoid.  So... the question I probably should have asked before I started is...  What is the best/easiest way to attach a mag pouch without undoing the entire belt?  I have an AWS belt with molle strip, but the molle and wtf loops looked like they wouldn't be too easy either.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Krylon for plastics sticks pretty well. Let it cure for a couple days before use. They have OD green.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does Safariland make just the shell that I can bolt to the UBL? I'm wanting one with the ALS retention button and would love it in OD Green but I can't find that animal. I'd  need it got a Glock 19X

Krylon for plastics sticks pretty well. Let it cure for a couple days before use. They have OD green.

Krylon Self-Etching Primer dries OD, and you can't buff it off without a palm sander. It sticks to polished stainless steel.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Newb question here....
I am setting up my first real belt.  I want the ability to quick swap holsters and mag pouches (single stack to double).  I got a Ragnarok holster with QLS, so that should be easy to swap.  The mag pouches, I got esstacs with belt loops, thinking I could put the loops on/off directly on the belt, without having to undo the holster and belt buckle.  Looks like that may not be the case.  I can't seem to get the loops onto the pouch while on the belt, and all of the videos i have seen show people putting the loops on off the belt and then sliding it around the belt, which is what I wanted to avoid.  So... the question I probably should have asked before I started is...  What is the best/easiest way to attach a mag pouch without undoing the entire belt?  I have an AWS belt with molle strip, but the molle and wtf loops looked like they wouldn't be too easy either.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/hGWIA7d.jpg?1
View Quote

It may just be easier to have 2 different belt setups if constantly switching mag pouches is what you want
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It may just be easier to have 2 different belt setups if constantly switching mag pouches is what you want
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newb question here....

That's kinda what I was just thinking... I was hoping to just have one, but...
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Newb question here....

View Quote

Ah, that is a tough one.  The QLS fork/receiver plate setup is definitely the ticket for holster swaps, but you're a bit screwed on the mag pouches.  The esstac double pouches work with all of my double stacks, but probably won't for single stack.  They have a 1911 pouch that probably works better for those, which I am guessing you already know.

WTF straps would clearly be a pain.  Malice clips perhaps somewhat easier, but also not really quick.  I suggest you look at Vanquest Molle Sticks, Condor Mod Strips, and the Blade-Tech Molle Loks (ignoring the screws they ship with),

Or hell, buy another belt.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#32]
OMG YES!!  I just got my first belt. It's an Esstac in M81 and it's amazing. Pics to follow
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Ah, that is a tough one.  The QLS fork/receiver plate setup is definitely the ticket for holster swaps, but you're a bit screwed on the mag pouches.  The esstac double pouches work with all of my double stacks, but probably won't for single stack.  They have a 1911 pouch that probably works better for those, which I am guessing you already know.

WTF straps would clearly be a pain.  Malice clips perhaps somewhat easier, but also not really quick.  I suggest you look at Vanquest Molle Sticks, Condor Mod Strips, and the Blade-Tech Molle Loks (ignoring the screws they ship with),

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Newb question here....

You mean the Blade Tech Tek Lok?  T Rex has kydex mag carries that you can use tek lok with...  Maybe that is the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You mean the Blade Tech Tek Lok?  T Rex has kydex mag carries that you can use tek lok with...  Maybe that is the way to go.
View Quote

No, I was referring to the Gen 3 Molle Loks
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OMG YES!!  I just got my first belt. It's an Esstac in M81 and it's amazing. Pics to follow
View Quote

Need pics
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, got it.  Thanks..
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#39]

Damn dude fuck multicam that looks awesome
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#40]

That pattern is dopeeeee
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Needs a few Esstac AR pouches though tbh
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Haha I'm adding them to my cart now
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Haha I'm adding them to my cart now
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 1:59:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Newb question here....

View Quote
attach pouches with velcro one wrap.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 2:08:34 AM EDT
[#45]
This thread cost me money , still not done spending because stuff is on back order but its mostly minor things. All the important stuff is ready to go. Kind of a good kick in the ass to finally get it done and Im glad it finally is getting close.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Never did buy into the whole molle battle belt trend. The old school Eagle inner/outer duty setup has always worked for me so I saw no reason to change it. Simple, slim, and carries what I need to stay in the fight outside of my vest and long gun.

Looks like slim inner/outer rigs are trending again. See? I was ahead, behind and then ahead of the curve again all in one career.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Battle Belts (like the old Alice rigs) are ergonomically superior for how the weight is carried on your body compared to chest rigs..
Ergonomics for the weight are especially important for folks who are not 23 year old active duty attempting to give a good account of themsleves

but since I am used to Chest rigs, I have a more of them..
Chest rigs became so big in the GWOT mostly just because of the high %age of mounted Ops, IMHO.

I have a real old school battle belt set up (old ALICE kit) which works well in an infantry set up.. but I admit chest rigs is what I train with since I am used to them.
I need to set up a better more modern battle belt rig with suspenders soon..

if you are on an extreme budget (and most on here arent, given all the Gucci set ups I read about) and have nothing and just need something...you could just stick a canteen to your belt on the right hip...tourniquet on the other side and carry your mags in one of those dirt cheap, but pretty useful, botach shooter bags
https://botach.com/kz-eight-30-or-40-round-magazine-active-shooters-bags-coyote/

PS: Dont fall into that trap with the trendy non-retained open mag set ups.
They look cool and work great on a flat square range to speed up your mag changes.. for youtube vids ..

But..  once you go crawling to the ground (and a fire fight always goes crawling to the ground, unless you are the surprise aggressor fighting indoors) through the dirt and bushes you will be a) losing mags left and right and b) be distracted by worrying about retaining your mags and so compromise your situational awareness.
Not good.

I personally observed someone with "nice" open top gucci mag holders that work ohso well on the flat range stumble on a root while diving for cover and dumping out all his mags.. and all but one of them, landing outside his cover on the ground in full view of OPFOR... oops.
Dont be that guy.

For in-house defense to repel a surprise raid go ahead keep those "cool range kits", next to your bed......but for real fire and maneuver, old school, properly retained magazine pouches, with a closable physical cover is what you want, if you are serious about Enemies Foreign or Domestic.

PS2: All those low riding pistol set ups that strap to your thigh are also a vestige of the GWOT, that we need to overcome.
biomechanically they put you at a tremendous disadvantage when engaging in fire and maneuver.
They have a place with MPs or static guards but try to sprint with them, dive into cover or walk a few hours.. not good.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve never lost a mag w open top kydex inserts. Ever. Not an MP.

Shake test your gear.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So now I’m going to have to buy one it looks like

I just refuse to put pistol mags on my carrier so I figured on a belt with a few others things could work.
View Quote

That's my plan.

PC for rifle mags
Belt for pistol mags
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’ve never lost a mag w open top kydex inserts. Ever. Not an MP.

Shake test your gear.
View Quote

You clearly don't operate.

Esstacs, fast mags, and similar definitely haven't proven themselves to be combat capable over the past decade or so lol
Page / 31
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top