BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Used them when I was younger.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a white trash girl, we will call Jessica, from my school that got into a trashy girl fight at the local club years ago.  Jessica followed the girl home and jumped her in front of the girls house.  The girls brother, who drove a small truck with a meat freezer in the back, came outside when hearing the cat fight.  He reached in his truck and grabbed one of those, and smashed Jessica in the side of the head.  Jessica took the girl on Judge Judy.  Judge Judy laughed her out of her court.
Link Posted: 12/6/2022 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
To anyone asking about non embossed cards:  If you ask your compliance officer, you will find that your credit contracts do not allow for non electronic point of sale use of a non embossed credit card.
  This is the whole point of the non embossed card.  To avoid the theft of your card number by manual means.
  If electronic means are not available, another form of payment is required.  
 If a retailer is processing your payment after the fact, by writing your credit card number down, they are doing so outside of their own legal agreement for non embossed cards.  
  If a charge is disputed by the customer, and the bank recalls the credit slip, a charge back is given, and it falls under bad debt for the retailer.  
  Zero fucks will be given by the customer, but the retailer gets their little PP slapped by auditors.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#5]
One of the places I shoot still uses one, and now that the cards are smooth everything gets written by hand.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife owned a IATA Travel agency for 30 years through the 90's. Had the member airline plates and issued the paper printed airline stock tickets with carbon paper copy. Weekly phone in reporting to IATA etc. Internet killed that business. Never imagined internet Travel bookings. I could validate an Airline ticket with a swipe...(chick chick) "sound of hand machine" similar to old credit card swiper. No TSA so we had that little win anyway.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:06:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of stores still have these on standby for when their network goes down. I most recently saw them in use at a Chipotle.
View Quote
I spent about a thousand dollars at tractor supply when their power got knocked out. They ran my card through one of those.

a month later or so I go back to return something on that receipt (that I didn't have because the power was out) and they call a manager up. It turns out they couldn't process my card without the three number code on the back. I returned my item and paid my thousand dollar bill.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A lot of stores still have these on standby for when their network goes down. I most recently saw them in use at a Chipotle.
View Quote

They don't work on cards that aren't embossed though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
In 1998 I worked at a bank in the merchant department where we did card processing for different businesses. One was Sandhills Golf Course in Mullen, Nebraska. It’s world famous, exclusive and super high dollar.

They still used those even though almost everyone had converted to electronic processing. Their fees were like 3X what it was for electronic point of sale machines that did instant authorizations. I ran a report that showed thousands in savings if they switched. Besides the actual processing fee, there was a delay in them getting their deposit. Also, they’d have people use expired cards, lost cards, etc. Once they sent in a slip for a few thousand charged to some in-store furniture card like “Denver Mattress” or some shit like that.

The golf course said they didn’t call in authorizations by phone because they didn’t wanna embarrass their members. Lol some dude went to town for his golf, fees, drinks, pro shop charge, etc and never paid.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I still have one and two packs of unopened slips from my uncle's gun shop when he closed in 1994.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I’m 30 and I remember it from when I was a kid
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:10:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep. My brother worked at an American gas station. When I needed some cash for 3 for 1 night at Big Daddy’s liquor and lounge. I’d get $20 in gas and a $20 dollar bill and he’d charge $40 bucks to my credit card on the slider. It was the only credit card I had in 1978, with the exception of Diners Club which was not widely accepted.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I member.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Yep.  Been a while, though.

Funny story:

My sister was shopping somewhere with her daughter, who was about 5-6 at the time.  My niece asked for something, and it was something expensive.  Don't recall what it was.  My sister said something along the lines of not having enough money to buy it.  My niece said, "Why don't you use that cross money?"  Sis was confused and asked what she meant.  She said, "You know, when you put that card in the machine and they cross over it."

We still joke about that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Had one at the video store I worked at in the late '90s, but I never used it. Credit card transactions were online by then.

Anyone remember video stores?

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Still have a couple in the back office lol. When we first setup our accounts the cc processor had to send us new plates to put in the units with our business info. Have a cellular card swiper to for when we did conventions before things like square came along.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:06:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Hell OP, I actually used that machine
when I was a cashier way back when.

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This happened a few years back for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:14:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Two weeks ago in Guam at the rent a car place
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:31:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We still have a couple of them shoved in a corner of the office.  The boss won't throw them out for some reason.
View Quote

The dial up terminals that came next were terrible even with a reliable phone line. Never had to wait on the machine or have someone denied.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
To anyone asking about non embossed cards:  If you ask your compliance officer, you will find that your credit contracts do not allow for non electronic point of sale use of a non embossed credit card.
  This is the whole point of the non embossed card.  To avoid the theft of your card number by manual means.
  If electronic means are not available, another form of payment is required.  
 If a retailer is processing your payment after the fact, by writing your credit card number down, they are doing so outside of their own legal agreement for non embossed cards.  
  If a charge is disputed by the customer, and the bank recalls the credit slip, a charge back is given, and it falls under bad debt for the retailer.  
  Zero fucks will be given by the customer, but the retailer gets their little PP slapped by auditors.
View Quote

Appreciate the insight.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes.  I was just thinking about this the other day.  Who knows if those little slips of paper actually went anywhere
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:39:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
zip-zop, we used them in a gas station i worked in, as a kid.
View Quote

I had one in my tow truck 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I still have one somewhere. The processor gave it to me when we updated our equipment back in 05 to use as backup if the system went down.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Yes we had them and also once a week in the mail a booklet of bad Cc numbers.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Remember them?  Hell, I used them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

'Wood'? You have got to be kidding me. You can't possibly think that's the correct word.
View Quote

Eye wooden worries about my grammar
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#31]
"Master Charge."

"Will that be cash, check, or MASTER CHARGE?"

Link Posted: 12/7/2022 6:39:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I would have to call in for an authorization number
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep, one of my first jobs, in the 80s, required me to use one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw one behind a counter at a local convenience store. Mentioned something about it.  They said they have had to use it when power has gone out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
zip-zop, we used them in a gas station i worked in, as a kid.
View Quote

Same here. Back when we still pumped the gas, Washed the windshield, Checked the oil, etc... for the customer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Back in the before time you wood put the card in and slide the contraption and I wood imprint the number into the carbon copy paper.

Then they wood presumably send them to be processed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170265/manual-credit-card-machine-old-technolog-2626614.JPG
View Quote

would
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#37]
I used those things when I worked at k-mart.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
First time I used my first credit card the clerk put it in the machine and promptly cut a corner clean off the card.

While I was able to use it, I got plenty of and had to order a replacement.

Don’t forget to take your carbons!

View Quote

I fucked up a customer's card in one when it slipped in my haste to get back to my work. Dude was not happy. I was cautious with his other card.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#39]
None of my credit cards are embossed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to use one, and then come back to home base and process all of them electronically
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

'Wood'? You have got to be kidding me. You can't possibly think that's the correct word.
View Quote

Apple auto-correct might think that.

Sometimes I'll be typing away and Apple will change a word, not the one I'm typing but one earlier in the sentence trying to fix what I'm saying. It happens so fast, in the blink of an eye, if you're not constantly watching and re-reading what you wrote. You wooden believe some of the mistakes I've caught it introducing.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used to run cards in one of those all the time. We had a book the card companies would send out periodically that had numbers of cards not to honor. What a PITA. Maybe why I hate retail.
View Quote

I remember that you could get a bounty if you confiscated a card.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Anyone remember video stores?

View Quote
The town's video store closed early this year.

I was shocked because I thought they all went out of business decades ago.

BRB the milk man just pulled up on the curb, I need a couple of quarts of Vitamin D milk.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I smacked a guy in the face with one when I was a kid working a summer job in a gas station.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:56:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I used to use one, and then come back to home base and process all of them electronically
View Quote

The first call in processing I saw was great. The fee previously was 3% using the deposit slip method. With the phone in processing the fee was 1.25%. The transaction was guaranteed. We got a check in the mail a few days later. One catch was that they did not accept American Express. We stopped taking AE at that point. AE fuckers charged 5%, and could be backcharged for any reason whatsoever.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

How long has it been since credit cards were actually embossed?
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Back in the before time you wood put the card in and slide the contraption and I wood imprint the number into the carbon copy paper.

Then they wood presumably send them to be processed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/170265/manual-credit-card-machine-old-technolog-2626614.JPG
View Quote

We still had them when I worked at Circuit City in 2008, even had to use them occasionally when the credit card system wasn’t working.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#48]
They’re still used actually. Where my wife works if their system goes down they pull out those machines to run cards.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#49]
I still have one from back when I had my business!
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#50]
We still had them for back up at a store I worked at in college in the very early 00s. They would get used a few times a year.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top