Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, used them too.  I've even seen a card get Snapped in two in one!  That was a very unhappy customer!
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
We used them at a party supply store for deposits on costumes and helium tanks.

Wealthy investor guy rented a tank and never returned it, we hit that card for $20 every week for months.

The police department eventually  returned the tank, evidence tag still intact. He had lost everything in the market, he and his wife killed themselves in their car overlooking their multimillion dollar estate by inhaling the helium.

I don’t think we rented that tank out again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of stores still have these on standby for when their network goes down. I most recently saw them in use at a Chipotle.
View Quote

Newer cards don't even have the raised numbers anymore, just the chip and printed numbers on card.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Newer cards don't even have the raised numbers anymore, just the chip and printed numbers on card.
View Quote

New cards don’t even have numbers. A strip, a chip and a name. That’s all you need.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to run cards in one of those all the time. We had a book the card companies would send out periodically that had numbers of cards not to honor. What a PITA. Maybe why I hate retail.
View Quote

Yup.

Back in the day (1980 or so), we had a TINY little booklet of "bad" credit card numbers that we weren't supposed to take -- about 3" x 6" and maybe 100 tissue-paper pages of card numbers.   These days such a booklet of bad cards would be encyclopedic in size.

And yes, hand-writing all the credit card info directly on the carbon was the way it was done if the card wouldn't emboss properly.   Some cards had their numbers flattened from overuse and we had to hand-write them.  Other times the "frip-frap" embosser was broken and hand-writing on the carbon was the way it had to be done.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Master Charge."

"Will that be cash, check, or MASTER CHARGE?"

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49274/OldReg-2626857.jpg
View Quote

Or its rival, BankAmericard
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
zip-zop, we used them in a gas station i worked in, as a kid.
View Quote

Yep, me too. I’m sure it’s still there.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top