BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Big Bang is just an event horizon, it isn't necessarily a beginning, or incompatible with a God.

I think what people really don't like is the thought that we're just another intermediate link in a long chain rather than the end point of it all. It's vanity really, along with dogma.

I also think that's the wrong way to look at it. The triumph of humanity is that we've managed to create another layer of selection in culture, software over the hardware. The reason many of us find dogma so offensive is that it sabotages that process.
View Quote
It is a mathematical fact that the Big Bang was the beginning of time.  If the Big Bang happened that is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:01:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It is a mathematical fact that the Big Bang was the beginning of time.  If the Big Bang happened that is.
View Quote
Show me that math.
We have literally no way to know what happened before the Big Bang, or if anything did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Show me that math.
We have literally no way to know what happened before the Big Bang, or if anything did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show me that math.
I am not a physicist, nor do I play one on TV, but I thought the point of a singularity was that "before" has no meaning.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Exodus states that the earth was created in 6 days.
View Quote
Really?  Somehow you are not oozing credibility as a Bible scholar.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I am not a physicist, nor do I play one on TV, but I thought the point of a singularity was that "before" has no meaning.
View Quote
Spacetime makes "before" problematic, yes. "outside" is probably better.

We just have no way to see past the event horizon, the state the universe was in couldn't transmit any information.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope, "singularity" just refers to the mass being squeezed into an infinitely small space. Kind of dividing by zero.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nope, "singularity" just refers to the mass being squeezed into an infinitely small space. Kind of dividing by zero.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but when that mass is all the mass in the universe, it takes spacetime with it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes and here's two good reasons why I thoroughly believe in the theory of evolution.

Apparently, we still are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a physicist, but I thought the point is that the singularity means "our models blow up and no longer work so we really don't know what happens at that point"
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes and here's two good reasons why I thoroughly believe in the theory of evolution.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/152169/Screenshot_20180124-130608-430163.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/152169/20180124_130317-430164.png

Apparently, we still are.
View Quote
#1 is an ugly MFer that has made a great career out of being ugly.  Probably pulls in more poon then I could ever dream of.

#2 I have no idea WTF that is...
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top