BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't care for the sound of most V10s, but I love the Viper sound.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will never forgive dodge for not making the viper a v-12. Stupid v10 sounds like a ups truck.

V10s inherently sound badass.
The only issue one could have with a viper V10 sound wise is they just don't rev enough to really give you that V10 awesomeness.

I don't care for the sound of most V10s, but I love the Viper sound.

Alrighty then, that makes perfect sense.

A higher revving V10 almost sounds like an F1 engine. The BMW and Audi/Lamborghini V10 sound amazing.

I'm more of an i6/v8 kind of guy but I recognize a great sounding engine when I hear it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Its called rear end snap hook, and happens when you turn off traction control since the suspension is set up to keep the car level, and as the back tires break free, rear end spinning tires will start to wheel hop, and on the downward pressures of the hop, one wheel will grab and snap the back end around.  On the C6 vets, the snap hook will be with the back end going right, while on the C7's, will be with the back end snap hooking to the left instead.

And again, sway bars to keep the car flat, suspension on the tight side for corning as well, and when the car snap hooks, the body does not plow to one side to slow the snap hook down, so the back end just snap hooks around you if you don't know how to control the amount of power from the car to keep the back end hooked (keep the back end tires from breaking loose in the first place).

And as note on expensive sports cars, those that own them, only about 8% of them have the talent to even push the car even close to it limits (both on a close course high speed road course, or just in a straight line with the TC turned off).  So in regards to this lad that crashed out in the viper, over his head in the first place, and should have not turned off TC/rest of the nannies from the start.
View Quote

I have a Gen 2 Viper GTS. There is no traction control on them. Nothing. Engine, transmission, rear end. Thats it. A little known issue with Gen 1 and 2 Vipers was the shifter is hot garbage. It is the only standard shift vehicle I have ever driven that I have to actually be aware of when I am shifting. As in I have to actually be careful shifting. It is very, very easy to go 3rd to 2nd in an early Viper. My guess? He hammered it, threw it in second, was in a slight turn and punched it, lost traction and went right.

I have pushed my car on occasions and abide by a couple of key Viper rules. 1) Don't run old tires. Period. 2) Have the front wheels pointed the same direction as the rear wheels when you hit the gas.  3) Don't push them at all under 40 degrees. Tire compounds don't like that very much.

In the end, Vipers are easy cars to drive if you just abide by the above rules.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I spend about 200miles per year in a 99 G2 Viper(buddys car).
I also spend a lot of time each year in my own 600hp+ car as well as tuning on some 450hp cars....

G2 Vipers will actually hooked very well if you have a slight idea of what you are doing.

The guys that talk about Viper being unpredictable are on cold tires/old tires/ have never driven a car that makes torque at low RPM.

If you know how to drive em...those cars will hook as hard as anything else.  You can't just step off the clutch like other more pedestrian cars.

Vipers will bite and GO, if you know what you are doing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The guys that talk about Viper being unpredictable are on cold tires/old tires/ have never driven a car that makes torque at low RPM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted for accuracy

Any gen of viper is one of those cars that you should just keep fresh tires on regardless. It’s more of track car than street car to begin with.

Quoted:
These things have ABS and that's about it.  None of that horsepower robbing stability control bullshit!  

The early ones didn’t. They came with ABS starting on my01
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically it was a Paul Walker race but without the Paul Walker crispy toast.

As a side note why is there a missing hood on the rice car? Is this to prevent overheating or just for show? I assume removing the hood would not be good for aerodynamics.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Basically it was a Paul Walker race but without the Paul Walker crispy toast.

As a side note why is there a missing hood on the rice car? Is this to prevent overheating or just for show? I assume removing the hood would not be good for aerodynamics.
View Quote

You don't need to worry about aerodynamics when you have JDM 4 cylinder fury.
Vtec will overcome any drag/resistance and propel feeble wheel drive econoboxes to land speed record breaking territory.
When vtec kicks in...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Acura integra hit the flashers

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its called rear end snap hook, and happens when you turn off traction control since the suspension is set up to keep the car level, and as the back tires break free, rear end spinning tires will start to wheel hop, and on the downward pressures of the hop, one wheel will grab and snap the back end around.  On the C6 vets, the snap hook will be with the back end going right, while on the C7's, will be with the back end snap hooking to the left instead.

And again, sway bars to keep the car flat, suspension on the tight side for corning as well, and when the car snap hooks, the body does not plow to one side to slow the snap hook down, so the back end just snap hooks around you if you don't know how to control the amount of power from the car to keep the back end hooked (keep the back end tires from breaking loose in the first place).

And as note on expensive sports cars, those that own them, only about 8% of them have the talent to even push the car even close to it limits (both on a close course high speed road course, or just in a straight line with the TC turned off).  So in regards to this lad that crashed out in the viper, over his head in the first place, and should have not turned off TC/rest of the nannies from the start.
View Quote

Tell me you don't know anything about a Gen II Viper without telling me you don't know anything about a Gen II Viper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#10]
What a sad end to a very awesome car.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Stupid games, stupid prizes -- we have a winner!

What a moron to take such a "no upside" race  -- if you lose, you're humiliated by a clapped out ricer.  If you win, you only beat a clapped out ricer and that's nothing to be proud of.   And that's beyond the fact that you are a total moron for street racing in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Imagine losing a race to a piece of shit four cylinder with no hood, and wrecking your Viper too.
View Quote
Viper was well ahead when it cut right and had it's sudden stop moment...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:26:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure why he took a hard right...

lol
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:49:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Hubris.  The downfall of many.

In this case, that was really dumb. I wondered if he borrowed that car because how do you do something that stupid like all he had to do was drive straight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hubris.  The downfall of many.

In this case, that was really dumb. I wondered if he borrowed that car because how do you do something that stupid like all he had to do was drive straight.
View Quote

You’ve clearly never driven a Viper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
The Viper Days racing school was started by a guy whose friend lost control of a Gen1 RT, slid it sideways into a curb and it flipped over and killed him.  I've owned both a Gen2 ACR and a Gen4 ACR and it's a car that demands respect.  Sad to see another Gen1 headed to the scrap heap, but at least he walked away.

Mine:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Imagine losing a race to a piece of shit four cylinder with no hood, and wrecking your Viper too.

Was being the key word. Have to finish to win.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The Viper was ahead.
View Quote

He still lost.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nope, illegal acts are excluded in GA policies….likely all policies.  If he lies its fraud…a crime
View Quote

You mean like speeding?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:04:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You mean like speeding?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, illegal acts are excluded in GA policies….likely all policies.  If he lies its fraud…a crime

You mean like speeding?

"Crimes" vs. "Misdemeanors" -- there is a significant, legal difference.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like speeding?

Meh. That's like the distinction between whiskey and bourbon. All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon.

All misdemaeanors are crimes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Meh. That's like the distinction between whiskey and bourbon. All bourbon is whiskey, not all whiskey is bourbon.

All misdemaeanors are crimes.
View Quote

You are correct... my wording was careless, and I should have been more accurate.   Difference I was trying to talk about is between misdemeanors and felonies.  

Good catch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:31:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most people I know of view it as an exotic. It’s an oddball for sure. Power. Hand assembled. Limited release. There are more vettes made in one year than all vipers of all years combined. It was a relatively affordable at one point but the prices are climbing fast.
View Quote

I think the Gen 5s are totally in the exotic class as they upped the interior significantly, added all the electronics expected and maintained world class performance with the big stuff underneath. The price they command today is impressive.

The previous generations always skimped on the interior (decent but that’s about it) and the caveman approach to engineering just pains the senses of most exotic car enthusiasts.  It also proves all that technology isn’t what you need.  Big works: big displacement, big tires, big brakes.  That’s it and they routinely set records in their day.

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think the Gen 5s are totally in the exotic class as they upped the interior significantly, added all the electronics expected and maintained world class performance with the big stuff underneath. The price they command today is impressive.

The previous generations always skimped on the interior (decent but that’s about it) and the caveman approach to engineering just pains the senses of most exotic car enthusiasts.  It also proves all that technology isn’t what you need.  Big works: big displacement, big tires, big brakes.  That’s it and they routinely set records in their day.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most people I know of view it as an exotic. It’s an oddball for sure. Power. Hand assembled. Limited release. There are more vettes made in one year than all vipers of all years combined. It was a relatively affordable at one point but the prices are climbing fast.

Yep.....weren't they built by hand?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That Viper had no TC or nannies
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.....weren't they built by hand?
View Quote

Yes. All generation of viper were built by hand.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#30]
people do not know how to drive.  Dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top