Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Since there are numerous verified sightings in AZ and  NM, this isn’t a stretch.
Borders, Int’l or state, aren’t on the Jaguar GAS list.

Wasn’t that long ago KS refused to admit that mountain lions were here.
Some sightings, game cams, denial.

Then, a hunter in a stand out by Medicine Lodge gets attacked by one and has to kill it… deny that.

Now… OK, they’re here. Duh.

My buddy in SE KS is finding bear scat on his land. KDWP says they’re not here.
Sound familiar?

It’s nature. It doesn’t care what your bureaucrat thinks       .
View Quote

Wait, Kansas isn’t supposed to have bears? I thought bears were in every continental state.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
View Quote

Cool. You should start telling newcomers the Legend of the Killer Ghost Squirrells seeking revenge or something.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:11:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Any chance that jaguars and pumas have cross bred?  Like wolves and coyotes have done?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:13:01 PM EDT
[#4]
NC has had rumors of one/more in the mountains forever. Hell, look at out NFL team mascot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Ooops, DP (Fookin wndows 11 ).
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Florida Panther. I feel like I remember someone seeing a black one when I was a kid.
View Quote
When I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Florida, several of us saw a black cat the size of my grandparents 120 pound black lab slink across the back yard while we were eating dinner. It was eerie. For a half second dad thought it was the dog until we realized he was asleep under the table, which got all our attention. Everyone agreed it was a big black cat, not a dog. We had a solid 30 seconds of view of it crossing the yard. I wasn't allowed to play outside the rest of the weekend
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]

There’s been several males in AZ over the past twenty years or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm going off a true mountain man's word on this, he has hunted these woods since the 60s and I have no reason to doubt him bud..
View Quote

He’s full of shit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Since there are numerous verified sightings in AZ and  NM, this isn't a stretch.
Borders, Int'l or state, aren't on the Jaguar GAS list.

Wasn't that long ago KS refused to admit that mountain lions were here.

Then, a hunter in a stand out by Medicine Lodge gets attacked by one and has to kill it  deny that.

Now  OK, they're here. Duh.

My buddy in SE KS is finding bear scat on his land. KDWP says they're not here.
Sound familiar?

It's nature. It doesn't care what your bureaucrat thinks       .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have no doubt they exits in Texas. I have personally seen them on estates in Texas. For them to spread in the wild, a mating pair would need to escape.  I doubt that has happened.

Since there are numerous verified sightings in AZ and  NM, this isn't a stretch.
Borders, Int'l or state, aren't on the Jaguar GAS list.

Wasn't that long ago KS refused to admit that mountain lions were here.

Then, a hunter in a stand out by Medicine Lodge gets attacked by one and has to kill it  deny that.

Now  OK, they're here. Duh.

My buddy in SE KS is finding bear scat on his land. KDWP says they're not here.
Sound familiar?

It's nature. It doesn't care what your bureaucrat thinks       .
TWRA does the same thing. I've been told it's due to money. If they acknowledge a species is here, then they have to alot resources to it. They'll hold off as long as possible. Not sure it's true, but that's the story I got.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
my mother saw one in her back yard in SC a couple of times
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#12]
In Florida?

I think it's possible. Not native but escaped following a storm or something.

They can hunt the invasive giant snakes and rodents.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

THIS

I've seen several black panthers in Florida, southern Georgia and Alabama going back to 1980.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Florida Panther. I feel like I remember someone seeing a black one when I was a kid.  

THIS

I've seen several black panthers in Florida, southern Georgia and Alabama going back to 1980.

I think I saw one in the Apalachicola National Forest a few years ago.  We were 4wheeling and it crossed the trail waaaaaay in front of us.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did a couple of trips down to Florida back in the late 90's. Got into some wild game park and they had a couple you could view that they had got locally.
I don't remember 100% where they were but I believe it was somewhere in the Everglades. Kind of a weird setup ,you entered a very dark building and had to keep pretty quiet as you looked thru some windows into a dark enclosure. Pretty much looked like a dark shadow .

This park wasn't some dumb tourist trap but some kind of research thing run by the state wildlife guys.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
My grandfather born in 1911 used to tell stories back in the 80’s of finding a black panther in his barn loft along with several other sightings back in the day.  

He was a very poor Appalachian farmer/moonshiner that never left the mountains, turned on a computer, or owned a tv.  Hell he probably couldn’t read either.  

Is it true?  I don’t know know. But the fact he had the story without really any outside influences of what could be out there makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Migrated here, inbred, imported and got loose what ever.
View Quote

Yes, it's just a black phased cougar.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Southern myth

I've lived in the swamps and pine forests for 70 years, and NO ONE has ever shot one and hung it from the front porch.

And believe me, if it existed it would've already been shot at night with a .22 and a headlight.

Now, sawfish....another story

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, and it had green eyes. Because I seen one.

I wish I had a dollar for every Bubba I've heard say that.

Attachment Attached File
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know, but I saw a big ass black cat on my property years ago.   Pretty sure it wasn't a panther up here in the PNW, maybe a black Bobcat pretty rare I would thin    This is one I caught on a trail Cam last year.   Not black, but he is pretty big.  

" />

Mybe the same cat, taken a year before.  

" />
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

White squirrels aren't normally albino.  

My parents lived in Brevard NC where they are a sort of mascot and there are some in the Low-Country of SC.  They are a melanistic squirrel, no dark pigments in the skin but their eyes are black.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes, in FL
View Quote

There are still some big effing cats creeping around florida for sure. Our 2 dogs were tangling with one late one night when I was a kid. I woke up to the noise which was gnarly as hell sounding. Step dad shot his gun and they all scattered before I saw it but he said it was big as hell and looked black or dark. I've heard plenty of people seeing black or dark cats and it wouldn't surprise me.

Cat on cat kill in South Florida
Panther Cougar attacks and later kills a cat right on the front porch in South Florid
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

There are no black mountain lions in the U.S.
View Quote

TPW has said there are no mountain lions in Texas. I beg to differ. "Black Panthers" are just black pigmented cats that are already here. Jaguars are in central Mexico, so it wouldn't be far fetched for the occasional lost one to show up.
A game warden was telling me how there were no alligators in the lake we live on, while we were watching one swim by at about 60 yards. A rather large one. Asked him what that was. He just walked off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Black Panthers are just a melonistic mountain lion.  Same with black leopards, and black jaguars.  They are melonistic phases of those species.  Jaguars used to live in the southern regions of Arizona historically and a couple have been seen and tracked in recent times.
View Quote

There has never been a confirmed case of a melanistic mountain lion.  Period.  Rare melanistic jaguars can be found in border areas.  Melanistic leopards could potentially be spotted if they have escaped from captivity.  Anything else is a black wolf, a lab, or a cat someone misjudged the size of.  It's really that simple.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]

I have seen a black coyote and my buddy has one mounted he killed 15 minutes from my house.

I have also seen an albino deer.

I’ve caught a bonefish in NC too.

But I have only seen two bobcats in the wild and both were in a deer stand yet there are plenty of bobcats.

I have seen tracks when i lived in the mountains that i was pretty confident were mountain lion.  Have been told by people who i believe that they have seen mountain lions in NC.  The two that stick out as the most compelling were a person on horse back who saw it very close, with horse flipping out, and a gentleman who claimed to see two from the same deer stand.  One being all black.   These were capable outdoors people.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a few in NC.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:19:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There have been sightings of Jaguars here around my neighborhood mountains in Flagstaff Az
View Quote

I did not know they were that far north.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:20:14 PM EDT
[#27]

I saw one that looked exactly like this in Lafayette, California in the mid to late 80s. It was across a little creek from me. Just maybe 20 yards or so.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Negative.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#29]
In the early 80s Dad said he saw a big long black cat about 2 am on his way to work. It was crossing the road and seemed to be coming from the chicken houses down the road. Said the tail was as long as it was.
Back when he was a teenager, early to mid 60s, him and his friend were coon hunting behind where the house now sits and said something got after the dogs and chased them back to them. They were sitting on a log and the dogs came barreling towards them, jumped over the log knocking them down and all they saw was something "big and black" zoom over the top of them as they lay on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:23:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. Have seen them from the standard tan, once saw one that could be called chocolate brown, and twice saw the same (I assume) black panther on a remote access rail loop road where I work a couple months apart about 20 years ago. The time would have been about 5pm both times in the sprig/summer, so lighting was still good and not playing tricks with shadows. This in coastal central Florida.

The tan one was in south Florida. The chocolate one crossed the highway in front on me on the way to work and nose to tail stretched across one lane of highway, moving fast. The latter about five miles from where I saw the black cat.

Just like house cats, a recessive gene can give kittens different colors from the same litter.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#31]
No not as big as a lion.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Since there are numerous verified sightings in AZ and  NM, this isn’t a stretch.
Borders, Int’l or state, aren’t on the Jaguar GAS list.

Wasn’t that long ago KS refused to admit that mountain lions were here.

Then, a hunter in a stand out by Medicine Lodge gets attacked by one and has to kill it… deny that.

Now… OK, they’re here. Duh.

My buddy in SE KS is finding bear scat on his land. KDWP says they’re not here.
Sound familiar?

It’s nature. It doesn’t care what your bureaucrat thinks       .
View Quote

Lived in az for generations.
Know many ranchers and lion hunters. Never heard not once of a black one.
Maybe you heard different in Kansas
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
50 Sleep Positions for Panther Luna😂
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#34]
albino, leucistic and piebald animals are much rarer than melanistic animals. any panther/cougar/mountain lion can be melanistic, in a frequency much greater than albinistic ones. to think big cats can't be melanistic is pure folly.  there was a regular melanistic panther in the corkscrews, not too far from naples. seeing it wasn't unusual, as it was much easier to spot than the tawny brown ones. the south end of florida has a lot more panthers prowling around, than the state is willing to admit.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Black Panthers are just a melonistic mountain lion.  Same with black leopards, and black jaguars.  They are melonistic phases of those species.  Jaguars used to live in the southern regions of Arizona historically and a couple have been seen and tracked in recent times.
View Quote

Melonistic? Water melon or honeydew melon?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
albino, leucistic and piebald animals are much rarer than melanistic animals. any panther/cougar/mountain lion can be melanistic, in a frequency much greater than albinistic ones. to think big cats can't be melanistic is pure folly.
View Quote

The problem is the inordinate amount of reports of “black panthers” when not a single time, in all of history, has a mountain lion been recorded by science that is melanistic. Yet over and over we hear reports  of black panthers sneaking around, avoiding every single camera , coon hunter, bear hunter, and trap. Sneaky bastards.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#37]
There is a black mountain lion mounted in the lunchroom of a high school in Wyoming, right, @guns762?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

TPW has said there are no mountain lions in Texas. I beg to differ. "Black Panthers" are just black pigmented cats that are already here. Jaguars are in central Mexico, so it wouldn't be far fetched for the occasional lost one to show up.
A game warden was telling me how there were no alligators in the lake we live on, while we were watching one swim by at about 60 yards. A rather large one. Asked him what that was. He just walked off.
View Quote

TxPW hasn't denied there are mountain lion s in Texas. They have a hot line set up to report sitings and/or kills.

"MOUNTAINS LIONS
Mountain lions are classified as nongame animals; they are not protected and can be harvested at any time. Please report mountain lion sightings, harvests or mortalities to (512) 389-4505."
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The problem is the inordinate amount of reports of “black panthers” when not a single, in all of history, has a mountain lion been recorded by science that is melanistic. Yet over and over we hear reports  of black panthers sneaking around, avoiding every single camera , coon hunter, bear hunter, and trap. Sneaky bastards.
View Quote

i was in an edit when you posted. i gave the location where we saw a black panther on multiple occasions. (we call cougars panthers in florda, so when we say panther, you know we aren't referring to indian/asian or south american varieties)
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
I have seen a couple of very dark, but not black Florida Panthers.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#41]
@countyworker

You got a pic right ?
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes. Our fish cops will not acknowledge because it would take money from their budget.
I could post a couple of stories, but they wouldn't be believed and I'm going to bed.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

i was in an edit when you posted. i gave the location where we saw a black panther on multiple occasions. (we call cougars panthers in florda, so when we say panther, you know we aren't referring to indian/asian or south american varieties)
View Quote

I believe fl  has some genes and black ones ? Documented like a dead cat?  Can't find . Sure seems like I heard something before.

Snip. Internet...
Again, only four species are classified Panthera (leopard, jaguar, lions and tigers). When we hear folks talking about seeing panthers in the United States, we know they’re really talking about mountain lions.

No, we haven’t found a black mountain lion in North America. But, according to zoologist and science writer Dr. Karl Shuker, the Yana Puma (Black Puma) exists in neighboring South and Central America historical records. There you have it!
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yes. Our fish cops will not acknowledge because it would take money from their budget.
I could post a couple of stories, but they wouldn't be believed and I'm going to bed.
View Quote

In todays political environment I would say it is a safe bet that it would add money to their budget.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:45:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Im sure they are spotted much less often.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Black leopard cool and rare
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I believe fl  has some genes and black ones ? Documented like a dead cat?  Can't find . Sure seems like I heard something before.

Snip. Internet...
Again, only four species are classified Panthera (leopard, jaguar, lions and tigers). When we hear folks talking about seeing panthers in the United States, we know they’re really talking about mountain lions.

No, we haven’t found a black mountain lion in North America. But, according to zoologist and science writer Dr. Karl Shuker, the Yana Puma (Black Puma) exists in neighboring South and Central America historical records. There you have it!
View Quote

Dr. Karl Shuker, cryptozoologist.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
albino, leucistic and piebald animals are much rarer than melanistic animals. any panther/cougar/mountain lion can be melanistic, in a frequency much greater than albinistic ones. to think big cats can't be melanistic is pure folly.  there was a regular melanistic panther in the corkscrews, not too far from naples. seeing it wasn't unusual, as it was much easier to spot than the tawny brown ones. the south end of florida has a lot more panthers prowling around, than the state is willing to admit.
View Quote

Negative. The gene that would allow that black fur coloration has never once been found in any DNA sampling Nor has a Puma ever been captured anywhere in North America dead or alive with that coloration.

There is simply no valid basis by any stretch that someone claims to have encountered a "black (puma) panther".

Link Posted: 12/8/2022 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw a large cat in the BOQ parking lot at Dam Neck VA in 2007. It was late evening, and I saw a large cat walk past a car and into the treeline. It was a little big to be a bobcat and a little small to be a mountain lion (shoulders were about the height of the car tire it walked past).  Looked dark in color, but could have just been lack of light.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top