Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2022 10:14:46 PM EDT
I only have a 3’ x 3’ space to put a tub/shower in my new place. I had thought about installing a corner shower, but I really want a tub.

I can’t afford to spend $3k on one of those Japanese soaking tubs. The only/closest thing I can come up with is a 36” diameter galvanized metal water trough.

Has anybody here put one of these together?

https://www.danslelakehouse.com/2019/03/diy-stock-tank-shower.html

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't.  But my first question would be can you fit in that tank? Ya know, with the size of the average american these days and all...

Second, can you get a quality soak in that even if you could fit?  Is it worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#2]
One of my buddies got a larger one and then painted the inside with a ceramic paint/coating that essentially turned it into a very decent two person bathtub. They have a baby girl now, so I assume it works as intended
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#3]
How the fuck are you supposed to get in and out of that? That looks tall.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ask Beth?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Just add soap and water.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a friend who used one like a hot tub out on his deck during the hot summer.
He and his wife spent a lot of time in it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:52:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt Seavers?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your name Arthur Morgan?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Colt Seavers?
View Quote

Nope

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It looks slightly taller than the toilet next to it.  If I couldn't pick my feet up and stand on a toilet, I would be worried about a lot more than a bathtub.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
IMHO: That looks like the stupidest idea ever.

The taller the tub wall is, the more likely you are to slip and fall while getting in and out of it.

Btw you will definitely want to check building code on your proposed approach — there is a reason that small children and 5 gallon pails don’t mix.  The child can topple into the pail and will be unable to right him/her self.  That tall, small diameter water trough is a recipe for disaster.

After building a tiled shower with a mere 3” high curb, and using it daily for the last five years, I’m convinced that a very short curb or no curb at all is the best possible shower solution.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ask Beth?
View Quote

that was my first thought, was going to post a picture but didn't desire the timeout.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Previous owners put a smaller one in the upstairs bathroom. It does look neat, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. Due to the size, it takes a while to fill, but the walls are so thin, it doesn't retain heat very well. The bottom is also flat, so the flange for the drain is actually higher than the floor of the tub, so water doesn't fully drain.

The drain issue could be fairly easily solved prior to instillation, with a slide hammer to get the drian angle right, and a new water heater and upping the pressure should fix the fill time, but I'm not sure how to get it to hold heat.

Not that it matters much to my toddlers, one of them is perfectly content to swim in there until the water is room temperature and then maybe a little bit longer. Two of them and all of the bathtoys can float around in there with plenty of room for their antics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The taller the tub wall is, the more likely you are to slip and fall while getting in and out of it.

Btw you will definitely want to check building code on your proposed approach — there is a reason that small children and 5 gallon pails don’t mix.  The child can topple into the pail and will be unable to right him/her self.  That tall, small diameter water trough is a recipe for disaster.

After building a tiled shower with a mere 3” high curb, and using it daily for the last five years, I’m convinced that a very short curb or no curb at all is the best possible shower solution.
View Quote

Not everyone is at the point they need a wheelchair accessible shower.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It looks slightly taller than the toilet next to it.  If I couldn't pick my feet up and stand on a toilet, I would be worried about a lot more than a bathtub.
View Quote

You don’t step down into a toilet, well if you are a freak maybe.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Dumb. Put a shower in.

If you really want a tub, throw it in the yard. You will have more space than the teacup you are trying to squeeze into.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was a kid my Aunt and Uncle used a bigger one that was supposed to be a cattle watering trough as a pool for my cousins. Worked just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:36:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Somebody else also mentioned this, and I'll concur.  That thing will shed heat so fast that a hot bath won't be hot very long at all.  I'd rather have a shower than a too short bath.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Manlet?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bitches about “code”, then recommends no curb, which isn’t code anywhere I’ve constructed a shower lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 12:52:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bitches about “code”, then recommends no curb, which isn’t code anywhere I’ve constructed a shower lol
View Quote

I have no idea what the code is for a shower curb here in Texas or there, but I see lots of no curb showers.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a curbless shower in my master. Was built to roll a shower chair for my disabled girlfriend. All built to ADA code.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:46:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Somebody else also mentioned this, and I'll concur.  That thing will shed heat so fast that a hot bath won't be hot very long at all.  I'd rather have a shower than a too short bath.
View Quote
Pink Panther fiberglass and duct tape, duh.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I love how there is always that safety guy going on about codes!  Fuck sakes live free or die!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:07:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't see how you could stay in that for very long.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Nowhere near big enough for a bathtub.  Unless you are less than five feet tall and then still would be cramped.
ETA you or someone else WILL eventually break a leg getting into or out of that thing.  Horrible idea all around.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:35:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Wouldn’t pass code here. The sovereign citizen brigade has already been through to create joinder, but why put something in that’ll have to be torn out to sell the house?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#29]
I know many will laugh or roll eyes at my reason for looking at this idea, but…

I only take showers. I haven’t taken a bath in years. The entire idea of using this tub is incase something really bad ever happened. A regular shower isn’t going to work, but you can heat water, and pour it into the tub to take a bath.

I understand the odds of ever needing this are low, but there is still a chance. I love being clean. Being able to take a bath would be very valuable if things went that bad.

Some people would say, “If things got that bad, a bath would be the last thing on your mind”. No, no it wouldn’t. Like I said, being able to take a bath would be a valuable thing. Even if you couldn’t stretch out. I’m 5’ 11”, and could easily fit into a 36” diameter tub.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/122973/Screenshot_from_2022-01-03_00-06-25_png-2226635.JPG
The big Anovas are 1100w, that's 3800btu/hr.  Put 2 in there and bam!
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wouldn’t pass code here. The sovereign citizen brigade has already been through to create joinder, but why put something in that’ll have to be torn out to sell the house?
View Quote

Oh boy do some former neighbors have an expensive story about that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:44:53 PM EDT
[#32]
My mother wants one of those big 8 or 10 footers to dress up into a soaking pool for the summer. I think it's stupid but I suspect it must be some big pinterest thing if she's wanting to do it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#33]
When I had something happen I just made a cooler full of hot water and used a plastic cup to pour hot water over myself while standing in my shower.
5 gallons of water instead of 50 gallons.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I only take showers. I haven’t taken a bath in years. The entire idea of using this tub is incase something really bad ever happened. A regular shower isn’t going to work, but you can heat water, and pour it into the tub to take a bath.

I understand the odds of ever needing this are low, but there is still a chance. I love being clean. Being able to take a bath would be very valuable if things went that bad.

Some people would say, “If things got that bad, a bath would be the last thing on your mind”. No, no it wouldn’t. Like I said, being able to take a bath would be a valuable thing. Even if you couldn’t stretch out. I’m 5’ 11”, and could easily fit into a 36” diameter tub.
View Quote

It sounds like you feel that you are justifying a need when you are really rationalizing a want.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It sounds like you feel that you are justifying a need when you are really rationalizing a want.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clearly state that the odds of needing this are very low. That one line cancels your theory.

I learned a long time ago that the majority of my decisions are not based on need. I would have a LOT bigger saving account if they were.

Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

If things got that bad, you wouldn’t be able to safely get in or out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ask Beth?
View Quote

LOL thats what I was thinking but the op will need a stock tank heater
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#39]

For instagram likes only.

You'd go through a 20# tank every time you filled that with propane heated water.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:34:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Op fail, go to your local farm store, get a BLACK PLASTIC FIBERGLASS REINFORCED, u can haz bucket the same diameter (it will be a bit shorter), used for watering livestock. They are strong as hell, and won't fail in a few months.

The bigger ones would make a bad ass bathtub.

Like this https://www.zoro.com/rubbermaid-stock-tank-l-63-14-w-69-cap-300-gal-black-fg424700bla/i/G1373872/

Hang a couple of peices metal conduit that is bent in a semi circle for curtain rods.

That galvanized water trough will not survive more than a few years, the plastic ones are built to be stood on by horses.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Eta, if you are feeling brave, get a shorter flexible one that is made of rubber, those are indestructible.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 2:37:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Op fail, go to your local farm store, get a BLACK PLASTIC FIBERGLASS REINFORCED, u can haz bucket the same diameter (it will be a bit shorter), used for watering livestock. They are strong as hell, and won't fail in a few months.

Like this https://www.zoro.com/rubbermaid-stock-tank-l-63-14-w-69-cap-300-gal-black-fg424700bla/i/G1373872/

Hang a couple of peices metal conduit that is bent in a semi circle for curtain rods.

That galvanized water trough will not survive more than a few years, the plastic ones are built to be stood on by horses.
View Quote

I have one of those in the back yard,
Wife uses it for a cool tub in the summer

Tractor supply has them
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I’ll check them out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:17:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's no inspectors here
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You'd go through a 20# tank every time you filled that with propane heated water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Easily sorted.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This wouldn’t be hard to knock up

Attachment Attached File

Or

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Amazon has the Japanese folding bathtubs for under a hundred if you want a tub without commitment.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Y’all have code inspections during a home sale?

Our inspectors don’t know shit about code. Stairs with no rail? No problem.

2nd story deck built on 4x4s? Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Explain under what scenario a shower...with a seat, would not work compared to that idea.   I will opine that if things go bad, you would have a harder time getting into and out of that thing than a shower.

If you are building, put in 2x6 or similar hard points to anchor multiple hand holds in the shower.

Your idea is not a good one.  That is ok.  I have bad ideas too.  Listen to the almost universal view that it is a bad idea.

Then there is resell.  This would kill it for most people.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#49]
place tube outside

film a boner pill commercial

profit
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#50]
The big advantage to OP’s idea is that on cold mornings he can bring the cattle in to drink in the bathroom.  Win win.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top