Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, WW3 in the 80's would have been a blast.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#2]
FUCK NO!!!!!

That would have been a no win for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No

Are you crazy?
View Quote
This, except "YOU ARE CRAZY!!!"
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck no!
We were considered a speed bump for the 3rd shock army...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in the Navy in the mid 80's so fuck no. We thought that it was probably going to happen and that while we would utterly obliterate the soviet navy from the worlds oceans, it was still going to suck.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No.  Fuck No.

OP is insane.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
No one in their right ever wanted the cold war to go hot. We wouldn't be here today if it had.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Considering that most of Europe would have ended up a complete fucking wasteland, I guess a silver lining is that the muslim immigrants wouldn't want to move there.  
View Quote
Is that the Silver lining theory?

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Watching The Day After cured any kind of thoughts like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:06:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep - and NATO would have immediately retaliated, which would have trashed Western and Eastern Europe.

I think the likelihood is extremely high that it would have very quickly escalated into strategic ICBM launches, even if the soviets might have wanted a "limited" nuclear engagement.  
View Quote
Whenever the units I was assigned to did ''War In Europe" exercises Day 3 was when nuclear weapons were loaded onto Phantoms and as the planes took off with silver practice bombs in the centerline station the exercise ended with the words: "It's SAC's war now."
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
You might consider googling Able Archer 83.

Sickels AAF 81-84
Rasdorf
Hunfeld-Eiterfeld-Schenklingsfeld
Not mere names.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Team Yankee is kind of a companion novel
View Quote
First book I read after finishing 19D OSUT.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No

Are you crazy?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#16]
You've got to be pretty young to say yes.  Or stupid.  Or both.

I was in the military during the Cold War and it wasn't a matter of if the balloon was going up. It was only a matter of when. And it was also assured that the Soviets were going to deploy NBC, which added to the charm, especially when you realized your combat effectiveness in MOPP 4 was pretty much fucking zero and that your only defense against tactical nukes was "ass to the blast."

On the positive side, I single handedly won the cold war.  I have certificate somewhere that says so.  You're welcome.

But for you OP, here's your certificate:

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:35:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep - and NATO would have immediately retaliated, which would have trashed Western and Eastern Europe.

I think the likelihood is extremely high that it would have very quickly escalated into strategic ICBM launches, even if the soviets might have wanted a "limited" nuclear engagement.
View Quote
By "quickly escalated" I agree.  How long is quickly?  In my opinion an hour or two.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#20]
80's WWIII is only fun through simulations and "experts" bitching at each other and ultimately insulting each others mothers in the most disgusting, and entertaining way.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#21]
$1 says that OP was not alive during the cold war.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#22]
So, I happened to be an Infantry Lt in Germany from 1978-81.  3ID, 2nd Bn 30th Inf at Ledward Barracks in Schweinfurt.  In Nov 1978 I arrived in country and was assigned platoon leader to 2nd Platoon, B Co.  At that time I had 17 guys out of a TO&E of 41 (table of organization and equipment).  Yeah, we were a little under strength.  We were briefed that 1st Brigade of the 3ID was opposed by the 57th Guards Motorized Rifle Division of the 8th Guards Army.  We had M113's and M60A3's and not much else.  TOW and Dragon missiles and little training ammo.  Carter was President so the military was sucking.

Our GDP (General Defensive Position) was north of Hasfurt between Schwienfurt and Bamburg.  North of the Main River.  That means we had the GOSFG (Group of Soviet Forces Germany) across the border from us and the Main River behind us.  No Class 1 bridges were near us and due to the bank angle of the river we would not be able to swim our 113's to the South of the river.   At the time, the Army also had a record number of Cat 4 recruits (less than desirable).  Eventually I got 26 or 27 guys but was always short handed.

Fighting the Soviets for us would have been short and nasty. And our Battalion shared a boundary with a German unit whose doctrine of not giving up land was not in sync with the US idea of trading space for time.

It would have been interesting to see if REFORGER and POMCUS would have really worked, but 2Lt Cool E would have probably not lasted long enough to find out.  For those that do not know, the US knew the idea of sailing shit loads of men and equip to Europe in the event of a war ala WWII would not work in WWIII as time and ships were limited and the commies had over 300 submarines.   The idea was to fly divisions to Germany (REFORGER: Return of Forces to Germany) and have them draw out equipment already there in storage for them (POMCUS:  Prepositioning of Material Configured in Unit Sets).

Pics:  Me at Grefenwohr training area in Nov 1978 firing AK47.  Second pic is 7  of the guys from my platoon with the Platoon SGt on far left.  Yeah, you tell me what the odds of lasting would have been.

Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hard pass, broseph.
View Quote
Yup.  Most of the technologically advanced nations would be devastated, tens of millions if not hundreds of millions dead.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#24]
FPNI

I've known several Russian. They are nice people. At least the ones I knew were. I would not want them to be dead in some obscene war.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is a great read.

There was someone who wrote some kind of what if about the Soviets taking the 83' Able Archer exercise serious and launching a surprise attack.  It was a long read and very intriguing because of course NATO was on a signals exercise but not at all expecting an invasion.  Nukes fly, people die by the bucket loads.  It was interesting to read the back and forth but god no would anyone really want that to happen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Since I would almost certainly have died, no not really.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
MAD wasn’t real.  It was later proven to be a gross miscalculation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does "mutually assured destruction" mean anything to you OP?
Well, we wouldn't have "inner city" problems now, would we? And a solid conservative base in the rural areas? Since that's all that would survive.

And you are thinking of nuclear winter being overblown, not he cost in human lives.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#28]
This honestly has to be the dumbest thing I've read on here since I began lurking here in 2006.

Fucking hell.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Since I would almost certainly have died, no not really.

View Quote
@DK-Prof

No.  You would have been raped, then you would have died.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#31]
hell no, I would have had a front row seat, used to do the czeckoslavakian border patrol with 2nd acr on the southern end, right up until the wall came down in 89
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No

Are you crazy?
View Quote
This.  It would have gone nuclear- no good for anyone.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No

Are you crazy?
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]
No.

Especially since I was in a Mech unit in Germany in 1987.  Going hot would have been exciting and extremely short for us.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Nope.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Considering that most of Europe would have ended up a complete fucking wasteland, I guess a silver lining is that the muslim immigrants wouldn't want to move there.  
View Quote
Always looking on the sunny side of life eh...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Oo yeah and chemical and bio weapons and nukes too
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No, the thoughts of millions of people being killed and millions of others trying to survive was never on my wish list.

OP, have you ever been in a war, even a small one? Or a natural disaster?

This is one of the most f**ked up threads I've ever seen, even by GD standards.
View Quote
This.

We won that decisively and without a lot of issues.  Had we fought Russia, even if we won....we'd still then be China's bitch now.

Fighting always needs to be an option, but it's never the best option until it's the only option.  The art is in being able to know when it's the only option...
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#41]
no shortage of stupid shit on here
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#42]
As one of the boomers that had to do the "Duck and cover drills" in the early 1960's I say no thanks.
Anyone wanting those hellish Hydrogen bombs to let loose at anytime over the world is an absolute unhinged mofo.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#43]
ACCELERATE
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#44]
OP is a silly goose.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#45]
The only winning move, is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does anybody secretly wish the Cold War had gone hot?  We had a lot of very cool technology that would have had a *very* high entertainment value had we started popping that shit off.  Biggest problem would have been no LiveLeak yet.  Putting that aside, thoughts?
View Quote
I was safe OP. I was under my desk at school.
You had to be certain age to understand this.
And the answer is NO!
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You've got to be kidding?
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No

Are you crazy?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Nerve Agent attack followed by a Blood Agent Attack while you are changing the slime-contaminated gas mask filters......
Uh, No.

"The Soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the Soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest scars of war."-Gen. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Link Posted: 10/2/2019 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#50]
"Threads" - no thanks.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top