BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2017 9:17:20 PM EDT
Yes, real silver for werewolves.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Oregon Trail makes silver alloy bullets.

I have given this some thought.  Silver can overcome the werewolf's magic and the molecules of silver that damage the animal's flesh make permanent wounds - even if that silver is pushed by other elements the parts damaged by the silver still matter.  I don't think the weapon needs to be pure silver to get the job done.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Get Real.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't seen any werewolves recently, but it would be cool just to have some just to have them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Silver is too hard and will not take rifling very well.

Several years ago there was some InnerWebZ dude making actual sterling silver bullets but they were outrageously priced.
Something like $40 each!

Better round would be a shotshell.
Make shot by pouring a thin stream of molten silver into water high enough above so the stream separates.
Load shot into shells.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, real silver for werewolves.
View Quote
Lone Ranger?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have seen pictures of a cased revolver from the 19th century which was said to contain silver bullets.

It would be very difficult to cast silver bullets with conventional lead bullet molds.

You could electroplate bullets with silver.  I bet that would work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't seen any werewolves recently, but it would be cool just to have some just to have them.
View Quote
I like the way you think
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I asked this very question here awhile back. After a lot of research the answer is no. I was going to have a local jeweler make me some out of silver bars and then learned silver would be hard on the rifling.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:32:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is why when the Germans tested silver bullets annointed with holy water and blessed by the Priest against the mundane lead bullets, the lead shot better.  I always though it was the demons who ride atop of the bullet.  Freikugel FTW!  Don't know freikugel?  Well then, Carl Maria von Weber's Der Freischutz will tell you all you want to know:

Der Jägerchor (Carl Maria von Weber - Der Freischütz)

Freikugel is free bullet, or magic bullet.  Six goes where you want them to go but the seventh is guided by the devil himself.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Silver plating would be much more practical, I believe.

It's not hard to do at home, either.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm thinking that, once the werewolf charges, preserving the rifling is gonna quickly take a back seat to not having my throat torn out by a werewolf.

Anyway, you don't have silver bullets to shoot them. You have them as a deterrent.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Do they make any out of challenge coins?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Several years ago there was some InnerWebZ dude making actual sterling silver bullets but they were outrageously priced.
Something like $40 each!

Better round would be a shotshell.
Make shot by pouring a thin stream of molten silver into water high enough above so the stream separates.
Load shot into shells.
View Quote
Sabot slug for 12 ga.!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I asked this very question here awhile back. After a lot of research the answer is no. I was going to have a local jeweler make me some out of silver bars and then learned silver would be hard on the rifling.
View Quote
This was my outcome as well. Although I wasn't looking to actually shoot them, just wanted a magazine full of real bullets made of real silver. Something that was shootable however. I'd buy if made available.

I thought about making some myself. But due to the natural shrinkage of silver as it hardens, I didn't know the math to make a mold.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Silver plating would be much more practical, I believe.

It's not hard to do at home, either.
View Quote
Composite is better.  Silver in the center, copper outside.  Something like this image:
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Lead core with a silver jacket. Cheaper and the werewolves won't know the difference. LOL werewolves.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#18]
From the experts.

Silver bullets are too light and don't engage barrel rifling properly, resulting in poor penetration and accuracy. MHI uses a modified Corbon Pow'r Balldesign: a hollowpoint round with a silver ball inside the cavity. As it's expensive, it's only available in .45 ACP and .308 Winchester. The MCB uses a different design that relies on powdered silver in a polymer matrix, available in 9mm Parabellum, 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO, but is available exclusively to the government.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
The answe to the rifling issue is a silver core instead of lead.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Polygonal rifling would work better I think
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Composite is better.  Silver in the center, copper outside.  Something like this image:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/tmp_dropzone_m_855a_102-tfb.jpg
View Quote
Better? Maybe...but difficult to test considering the lack of werewolf test volunteers.

Make them at home once the werewolf plague strikes? No...

...I like my idea more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Do they make any out of challenge coins?
View Quote
The Lone Ranger made his out of his Texas Ranger badge IIRC from the radio plays.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Just get some big deep HPs and fill them with silver.

Be careful though.  Werewolves change back to human once killed, and then you got a dead naked dude to explain.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:57:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I would prefer silver buckshot or slugs in 12 gauge
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#26]
To kill a werewolf, the silver must be a blessed cross from a priest.

The cross must be melted down and the bullets cast by the own will use them.

Any other bullets will not harm the werewolf.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
A silver sword makes much more sense.
"A Night to Remember" Launch Cinematic - The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's not true - in at least one instance a character beat off a werewolf with the silver head of his walking cane - might have been in the original Lon Cheney film.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is a Taofledermaus video on Youtube where he fires Foster style slugs made from silver dollars.

Expensive, but I bet very effective.

They were swaged into that shape, making dies would be expensive, but the whole project is expensive anyway.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
IIRC, the Nightstalker made silver shotgun shells from silver buttons on a cruise ship.

Naturally, the werewolf, once shot, fell overboard so there was no evidence...
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The Lone Ranger made his out of his Texas Ranger badge IIRC from the radio plays.
View Quote
I thought he and Tonto found a silver mine?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Silver is fo' brokeass foos. Platnium, son!
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#36]
You would probably still need a copper jacket. So maybe a hollow point with a silver core instead of a lead core. Though that would make for a really light bullet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the gun mags MANY years ago got a couple of their guys to do a Lone Ranger article. They made the silver bullets and fired them to check accuracy and performance. The article was funny as the guys even tried dressing up as the ranger and Tonto, but in the end it turned out to be an exercise in futility. The bullets were expensive, the molds got jacked up, the bullets looked and sized like crap, the accuracy was lousy, and they couldn’t get a camp fire hot enough to even get the silver soft enough to pour.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
That one was taken down with a cane

Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's not true - in at least one instance a character beat off a werewolf with the silver head of his walking cane - might have been in the original Lon Cheney film.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pfft. Movies.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I thought he and Tonto found a silver mine?
View Quote
Ah, yes. That rings a bell.  Maybe both?
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm thinking that, once the werewolf charges, preserving the rifling is gonna quickly take a back seat to not having my throat torn out by a werewolf.

Anyway, you don't have silver bullets to shoot them. You have them as a deterrent.
View Quote
You have to kill one once in a while or it's not a very good deterrent.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read in The Dresden Files that it must be inherited silver.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Coonan made a set with six silver .357 magnum rounds loaded with silver bullets and a wooden stake. I picked up a couple of them for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I would think it would need to be copper jacketed, in a partition style bullet. Lead core in the base, and a silver up to the the tip with copper in between to limit penetration. With the dissimilar weight materials in the base and top, it should make it tumble, and if the copper peels back quickly should provide a fragmenting effect with the copper, the silver will do its thang, and the lead base will punch through to organs and whatnot.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Coonan made a set with six silver .357 magnum rounds loaded with silver bullets and a wooden stake. I picked up a couple of them for shits and giggles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember those.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Silver is fo' brokeass foos. Platnium, son!
View Quote
Somewhere a barrel maker just got the weirdest erection.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Strangely enough, I have a good friend who wrote a novel with werewolves in it (among other things), and we researched this very shit for his writing.

It's more than what's been mentioned...too light, too hard, etc.

Apparently they are also damn near impossible to actually cast RIGHT.  As the silver cools, you get weird, inconsistent results.  Gaps, hollows, etc.

Essentially, you'd have to machine them to get any consistency in rounds.  I agree with the composite theory...have a silver point sticking out of the front of a lead, copper-plated bullet.

Win!

ETA:  We determined silver buckshot would be WAY easier and more effective.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:48:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Apmex sorta has them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just get some big deep HPs and fill them with silver.

Be careful though.  Werewolves change back to human once killed, and then you got a dead naked dude to explain.
View Quote
Dead naked people happen all the time. Not even worried.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 11:12:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so, we're talking about using a Glock then.......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top