Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/22/2021 7:12:35 PM EDT
I need some insight as to what one should look for in a hotdog stand.

The situation is this. We have a lot of food trucks at our venue but it is a battle out there to get them sometimes and they are in ridiculously high demand.

As such at times we have a hole in our truck schedule. We need to offer some sort of food during shows and it seems to me a Hotdog cart would be the most straight forward and easy cart to run.

But…there seem to be a number of folks making them and some features vary from one to another.

Any input as to what is needed would be great.

We have power available and would likely run the cart maybe twice a week to keep inventory turned over.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
So you have an interest in wieners huh?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially the foot long ones.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Nah, I sell wet teddy bears.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
My suggestion would be to add a little extra appeal to them, especially if you are charging 'venue' prices.

Wrap them in a slice of bacon and deep fry them. A small cart with a two basket deep fryer should do it. Just need room for something to steam the buns a little.

The added bonus is they cook really fast and you can do a bunch in one basket. Roller hot dog 'grills' take a while to actually cook them and make it hard to replenish stock quickly if the seller gets cleaned out.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My suggestion would be to add a little extra appeal to them, especially if you are charging 'venue' prices.

Wrap them in a slice of bacon and deep fry them. A small cart with a two basket deep fryer should do it. Just need room for something to steam the buns a little.
View Quote

Yep, this. Also a friendly reminder you should have a variety of condiments. Don't just roll ketchup & mustard, rock some sauerkraut, chili, pickles, hot peppers, coleslaw, etc. See what sells.

Cheese is another easy profitable add on you can offer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#7]
The ones I like in NYC are the simple ones.  A couple choices on wieners, basic toppings like chili, kraut, grilled or chopped onion, relish and for dressing mustard and ketchup (for the commies)

For drinks, a couple choices of sodas and bottled water, thats it.  Sides are kept simple as well such as the small bags of chips.

This keeps you from having to cook anything besides the wieners and steaming the buns.  You can keep costs down and have a fast system.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I know they're dirty water dogs but the Lucky Dog vendors throughout the French Quarter seem to do really well. About as basic as a dog gets.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/capReference-550.jpg

So did I.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Wet teddy bears herrreee!! Get your wet teddy bears!!!

These look pretty damn good OP. Looks like they have everything you need.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Here’s a follow up question…those of you who frequent stands what do you expect to pay. Hot dog stands are rare around here.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Find out which food trucks seem to be the most popular with the people that come to your venue, then cut a deal with the top one or two guys.  

Offer to pay for their propane the days that they're there, or let them hook into your electric, if they agree to park it there a minimum number of, or certain days of the week.

Hell, add a kitchen/patio/restaurant onto your venue, and work out a deal with the best food truck guy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Just slap a fire underneath your BMW’s pannier’s and boil a few dogs. Way more mobile that way too!
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

First poster is a tard idiot

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Whatever you do, do not finance it. Miss a monthly payment and you'll never ketchup.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Find out which food trucks seem to be the most popular with the people that come to your venue, then cut a deal with the top one or two guys.  

Offer to pay for their propane the days that they're there, or let them hook into your electric, if they agree to park it there a minimum number of, or certain days of the week.

Hell, add a kitchen/patio/restaurant onto your venue, and work out a deal with the best food truck guy.
View Quote

They already get free electric. This is our first summer open but the food truck market is freaking brutal.

Unfortunately a kitchen isn’t a possibility currently due to infrastructure but maybe in the future.

I am not even sure I can pull this off due to labor.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here’s a follow up question…those of you who frequent stands what do you expect to pay. Hot dog stands are rare around here.
View Quote

Depends on what I'm ordering. If you're doing regular sized dogs, I'd highly financially encourage you to incentivize getting 2.

If you're doing 1/4 lbers you can go higher than market, especially if you have a good product. I'd say $5-$7. Idea get a soda and chips and be out for a $10 lunch

Edit: Sheetz gets me with upgrades on their two small dog meal. I'll get the pretzel bun, the bacon, the cheese, etc
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#20]
There's money in the banana stand.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Just washed my truck there yesterday.  New to the area, thought it was a taco trailer until I pulled out lol.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Dont do normal cooking means, deep fry em. You can offer them to different levels of cooked to burnt. You can also offer them wrapped in bacon as was suggested, or even dipped in cornmeal for corn dogs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wet teddy bears herrreee!! Get your wet teddy bears!!!

These look pretty damn good OP. Looks like they have everything you need.

View Quote

I think I am going to call these folks in the morning.

Now here is the conundrum…boiled as is traditional, fried, or grilled?
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Grilled onions & cream cheese...

...grilled onions & cream cheese
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

(2)...maybe (3) fiddy
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Depends on what I'm ordering. If you're doing regular sized dogs, I'd highly financially encourage you to incentivize getting 2.

If you're doing 1/4 lbers you can go higher than market, especially if you have a good product. I'd say $5-$7. Idea get a soda and chips and be out for a $10 lunch

Edit: Sheetz gets me with upgrades on their two small dog meal. I'll get the pretzel bun, the bacon, the cheese, etc
View Quote

I stop on occasion and No hot dog cart vendor  would stay in business charging those prices in CT  

Edit

1/4 pounders I agree but really most people don't order those . When people stop they like a normal size dog.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think I am going to call these folks in the morning.

Now here is the conundrum…boiled as is traditional, fried, or grilled?
View Quote

about the only hotdog i will actually eat is grilled with at least some char to it, beef franks.
Considering walmart retail not bulk I can make a hebrew national with ballpark bun and some mustard for under a dollar I don't expect to pay more than $3 for that.
if you've got some chili another $1.50 to $2 etc...
In general for food sales your food cost should be 30% or less of the sale price I've found that a pretty good number for selling most things that can be sourced somewhat easily and don't require insane labor.

disclaimer I am not really a fan of hotdogs and pretty much never go to hotdog stands.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

about the only hotdog i will actually eat is grilled with at least some char to it, beef franks.
Considering walmart retail not bulk I can make a hebrew national with ballpark bun and some mustard for under a dollar I don't expect to pay more than $3 for that.
In general for food sales your food cost should be 30% or less of the sale price I've found that a pretty good number for selling most things that can be sourced somewhat easily and don't require insane labor.
View Quote

I was thinking Nathan’s all beef and $2.50-3.00.

As well maybe multiple kinds of chili just to be different.

When I was a kid I loved Stewart’s hotdogs in Huntington, WV. They don’t do any sort of franchise but maybe I will reach out just the same, you never know.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Rutt’s Hut in Clifton, NJ and their deep fried ‘Rippers!’

Babe Ruth used to eat there, so if they’re good enough for the Babe, they’re good enough for the plebs.

Chris
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Wienerschnitzel Menu

Mustard Dog
A grilled World Famous Hot Dog in a fresh, steamed bun topped with tangy French's mustard.

Choice of Hot Dog
Bun Options
Mustard Dog Comes With
Add-Ons

Choice of Hot Dog
Required
World Famous Original
+$1.69

All-Beef
+$2.89

Polish
+$2.89

Bun Options
Required
Standard
Pretzel Bun
+$0.60
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I stop on occasion and No hot dog cart vendor  would stay in business charging those prices in CT  

Edit

1/4 pounders I agree but really most people don't order those . When people stop they like a normal size dog.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

I'm with you. If rather get two regulars if I'm hungry than one 1/4
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:15:41 PM EDT
[#32]
and to the higher end on the strip
HAUTE DOGS
The Fun-Ghi$7.99
char-grilled frank, grilled mushrooms, caramelized onions, gruyere cheese, & truffle mayo

Gold Standard$7.29
char-grilled frank, smoked bacon, cheddar cheese, roast tomato, arugula, & garlic aioli

Hangover Dog$9.99
char-grilled frank, bbq brisket, grilled onions. jalapeños, swiss cheese, bacon bits, ketchup, mustard, & mayo

The Longhorn$7.99
char-grilled frank, smoked beef BBQ brisket, coleslaw, onion rings, & pickles

Reuben Dog$7.99
char-grilled frank, spicy mustard, kraut, swiss cheese, & pastrami

Mac N' Cheese Dog$7.79
char-grilled polish, macaroni & cheese, cheddar cheese, & bacon bits

Mushroom Dog$7.79
char-grilled frank, grilled mushrooms, bacon bits, swiss cheese, truffle aioli

RETRO DOGS
Undressed Dog$5.00
char-grilled frank on a bun
polish dog $5.54

Windy City$6.29
grilled frank, relish, tomato, onion, dill pickle, sport pepper, & mustard with celery salt

Empire State Dog$6.49
grilled frank, grilled onions, kraut, ketchup & spicy mustard

Detroit Coney Classic$6.49
grilled frank, chili, onions, mustard & cheddar cheese

Tijuana Dog$7.29
char-grilled frank topped with bacon, grilled onion, jalapeno, & mayo
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

When I was a kid I loved Stewart’s hotdogs in Huntington, WV. They don’t do any sort of franchise but maybe I will reach out just the same, you never know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's profitable, $3 for 1 $5 for 2 is the key.

I like the flexibility if I'm hungry to grab two. Might horse them both, might save one for a little later. On top of the stronger preference for the smaller dog I like the flexibility.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Especially the foot long ones.
View Quote

It's  the girth not the length.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Grilled cheese probably has as much mark or more than hot dogs, you can go stupid simple or upscale with little more effort and pairs with soup, a cheap and easy add on in the fall.

A propane griddle and a cooler practically gets you there.

Keep it simple no matter what you do, complicated menu wastes time ordering and cooking.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Grilled cheese probably has as much mark or more than hot dogs, you can go stupid simple or upscale with little more effort and pairs with soup, a cheap and easy add on in the fall.

A propane griddle and a cooler practically gets you there.

Keep it simple no matter what you do, complicated menu wastes time ordering and cooking.
View Quote

Simple is key for us as we have many trucks and this is just a fill in. I have no real interest to finance a hotdog stand other than to compliment our venue. That means it needs to be simple, but quality. We do already have a grilled cheese truck.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#39]
The downside of going the deep fryer route is how nasty those are in a trailer.  You need an expensive exhaust system / with associated blower, and it's still a hot mess of grease.  A lot of people in the food truck business would advise you to avoid a deep fryer unless you are really into the business.  Cooking commercially on deep fryers is a mess.  I'd vote for a grilled cheese setup, most people like grilled cheese, and it's silly easy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Don’t get a gourmet hot dog cart, do a regular hot dog cart.  

Buy buns and 2 kinds of dogs in mega packs at Costco or Sam’s.

Ketchup
Mustard
Relish
Onions
Peppers
Chili
Chip variety
Cooler with canned drinks

$2.00 for a regular hot dog
$3.00 for whatever the premium is

Boil your hot dogs, some carts have a little grill so you can throw it in and grill it quickly if they prefer grilled. Pull it out of the water and put some sear on it.

.75 for chips
.75 for drinks

Pay a pretty girl $15 an hour to run it. You’ll be printing money.

Don’t put chili on the menu. Instead do a chili dog special everyday. It’s a chili dog, chips, drink for $4.50. They are paying you $1.00 for 2 tablespoons of chili.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

$5 all in with chips and a drink is my limit for hot dogs/brats, heck most Sunday brat fries around here charge $3 and they still print money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:16:32 PM EDT
[#42]
This is how you make money. Add a piece of bacon or go gourmet and prices go up quickly, people are resistant to pay Five Guys burger prices for a hot dog.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/lewis-bake-shop-cafe-hot-dog-buns-96ct-case-sale/prod22883864?xid=plp_product_2

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-beef-hot-dogs-bulk-120ct/prod17640201?xid=plp_product_3

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Don’t get a gourmet hot dog cart, do a regular hot dog cart.  

Buy buns and 2 kinds of dogs in mega packs at Costco or Sam’s.

Ketchup
Mustard
Relish
Onions
Peppers
Chili
Chip variety
Cooler with canned drinks

$2.00 for a regular hot dog
$3.00 for whatever the premium is

Boil your hot dogs, some carts have a little grill so you can throw it in and grill it quickly if they prefer grilled. Pull it out of the water and put some sear on it.

.75 for chips
.75 for drinks

Pay a pretty girl $15 an hour to run it. You’ll be printing money.

Don’t put chili on the menu. Instead do a chili dog special everyday. It’s a chili dog, chips, drink for $4.50. They are paying you $1.00 for 2 tablespoons of chili.

View Quote

This is the way. All that is simple is good; all that is complex is bad.

If this is designed to be a stopgap measure then it shouldn’t be a time/energy sapping endeavor.

And, let’s be honest, folks who will buy a run of the mill, non-douchy food truck, dog aren’t expecting 5 star options. Keep it simple and the turnaround time manageable and you’ll probably do well in making some spare cash.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Another one to check out is the hotdog peddler in Fargo, ND. He has been around a while.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I was thinking Nathan's all beef and $2.50-3.00.

When I was a kid I loved Stewart's hotdogs in Huntington, WV. They don't do any sort of franchise but maybe I will reach out just the same, you never know.
View Quote
You mean cavalier wieners and hormel no bean chili.

Link Posted: 6/22/2021 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#46]
All the good ones do the Chicago style Vienna Beef route...
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is General Discussion Lighten up Francis
It put a smile on my face

My Uncle ran a concession stand on a carnival homecoming circuit. The markup and profit from fountain sodas was where it was at.

Google it and see for yourself Fountain Soda
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Grilled onions & cream cheese...

...grilled onions & cream cheese
View Quote

That's only for the west coast heathens
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:04:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you do, do not finance it. Miss a monthly payment and you'll never ketchup.

After reading these back to back posts, I need to make correction. The first poster is a musTARD idiot.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top