Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/14/2024 10:07:20 AM EDT
I've seen a few vids over the years of SWAT teams stacked outside of front doors and they are essentially getting fatigued from hitting them with a ram for so long.  My question is, what would a door, hinge, lock, frame, etc. construction have to look like so make that happen?

I've actually seen one video from somewhere in eastern Europe where it looks like the door wasn't even flexing.  Almost like someone put a concrete wall behind the door so it wasn't an actual door...that's how absent of flex the door was when they were ramming it.

I've heard of putting 3 inch screws in the hinges and strike plate, but outside of that, how are these teams NOT able to gain entry??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Theyll just tear your wall down if they cant get through the door
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Or go through a window.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the most recent vid I saw they just kept firing in gas grenades.  They actually ripped out the entire window but wouldn't enter because that door wasn't opening.  And like 20+ guys were just standing there in full gear!

The whole time I'm just asking myself.... how is that door not crumbling???
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Any building is penetrable with enough time regardless of construction. That being said, when it comes to home invasions all you're really trying to do is buy yourself some time. If you can deny the enemy the element of surprise then you have a chance. Of course, if it's the gov stacked up at your door, they're eventually getting in. Even if they have to burn you out while killing plenty of women and children in the process.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Breacher strip laughs at hardened door construction.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Tearing down a wall takes time. Getting the bobcat on site to tear down a wall takes even longer.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Explosive  breaching for the win.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In the most recent vid I saw they just kept firing in gas grenades.  They actually ripped out the entire window but wouldn't enter because that door wasn't opening.  And like 20+ guys were just standing there in full gear!

View Quote

Yeah around here theyll just use the bearcat to rip down the whole wall

That actually seems like option number 1 a lot around here for a barricaded subject
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad's house has a solid steel door and it's not facing parallel to the street it is perpendicular because he says that way it can't be easily pulled off by a vehicle with a chain. That door is just a decoy though because it opens up into an entrance where the real door to enter his house is. My dad is really paranoid that someone is out to get him some day.

I told him one time that he should build a trap door in the floor of his entrance room that can open up and drop intruders into a deep pit. He told me he had already thought about that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think OP is confusing incompetence with hardened targets.

Short of a cinder-block structure with steel doors and door frames, any reasonably-competent breaching team is coming in.
View Quote

At best you’re buying a moment when someone is trying to break in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
FBI usually uses the back door.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tearing down a wall takes time. Getting the bobcat on site to tear down a wall takes even longer.
View Quote

Lol no it does not

Theyll just use the bearcat that they all rolled up in

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's interesting.  I'd seen det cord used to make a doorway but haven't seen that specific product before.  Seems like it just blows the door away from it's contact points so it's removed or easily pushed in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I know of local volunteer Fire Departments that have a door frame "stretcher".

You mount it in the door and it pushes the frame apart enough to just push the door open, regardless of how strong it is.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:17:40 AM EDT
[#18]

MK211/Raufoss says fuck your engine block and armor!

But that makes sense for most targets.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know of local volunteer Fire Departments that have a door frame "stretcher".

You mount it in the door and it pushes the frame apart enough to just push the door open, regardless of how strong it is.
View Quote

Totally forgot about that, but yes, I've seen that!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#20]
You can definitely harden doors.   If you look at how door jambs/doors are actually made it's easy to see most are built to standards specifically so they are easily breachable.  Mainly because if your shit is on fire you don't want to delay firefighters access.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:18:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So you are actively planning something…….
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

sans lube.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think OP is confusing incompetence with hardened targets.

Short of a cinder-block structure with steel doors and door frames, any reasonably-competent breaching team is coming in.
View Quote

Have to agree....they seemed quite incompetent when piecing the whole scene together in the latest vid I saw.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or an armored car with a battering ram, explosives entry, blow torch and etc.

Are you planning to build a bunker?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Btw, this is the one I was talking about from overseas...

S.W.A.T Team FAIL. Can't break down door!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Det cord cuts pretty holes in walls and ceilings
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Btw, this is the one I was talking about from overseas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cVug3bxXrM
View Quote

Jesus. I've seen more competent larpers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#30]
FBI Alaska SWAT team failed breach
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:24:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

We called it, "Methods of Entry" class
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:24:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I have iron gates on the outsides of my exterior doors. Same on the inside of all windows. And the exterior of the house is stone.

I’m very familiar with dynamic and explosive breaching, and most swat teams don’t have explosive as an option.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I recently replaced an exterior door while renovating the room it's in. The door had always been relatively weak, like shake the frame, flex easy, I was positive I could easily kick it open.

The rough frame was just toe nailed in, so obviously this door was added after the wall was built. I added a 3rd 2x4 on either side, then shored up the joints with steel on the face and in the inside 90 degree angle, with 5" construction lags going in wherever it was just toe nailed. Then 4" construction screws, not drywall screws, in the 1 piece strike plate and hinges.

While I haven't tried to kick it down just in normal use its vastly improved from what it was and while I'm sure it could be breached with a door knocker, I doubt it's coming down on the first hit.  Which is all I wanted, like another poster said I just want to create some time.

That said I'm thinking of the video from Alaska where they're on a porch wailing away on that front door and it doesn't even dent, I'd like to know what kind of door that was because just fucking around with the old steel skin foam core door, it's easily dented and caved in.  But the one in that video doesn't seem to take any damage.

Everything is breachable, we just want to create some reaction time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve done it multiple ways - explosive, kinetic, mechanical - all doors  eventually lose.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have iron gates on the outsides of my exterior doors. Same on the inside of all windows. And the exterior of the house is stone.

I’m very familiar with dynamic and explosive breaching, and most swat teams don’t have explosive as an option.
View Quote

Iron gates INSIDE of your windows??  Not following you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Gates and bars over windows should get the chain to armored vehicle treatment.

Reinforced doors are getting explosives or this super dooper toy: Powered by a .45 blank, pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Likely an out swing door.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

So like the iron gates are anchored into your home on the windows?

Theyll just hook up to that and reverse and boom now you have a huge ass hole where your window use to be
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#40]

That's the one. Thanks for reposting I didn't remember all the details but it definitely looks like there's something securing the bottom of that door on the jam side.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

How many explosive breaches are police teams doing in the US? Military, sure, blow and go all the things in far off lands, but if SWAT teams are getting their flash bangs taken away for tossing them into cribs, how many are authorized, trained, and equipped for explosive breaches?
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Whatever method you guys choose just remember old people mistaking the gas and brake pedal can breach buildings more sturdy than most homes with zero training

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How many explosive breaches are police teams doing in the US? Military, sure, blow and go all the things in far off lands, but if SWAT teams are getting their flash bangs taken away for tossing them into cribs, how many are authorized, trained, and equipped for explosive breaches?
View Quote

Fair question and I think the answer would be fedbois.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I’ve seen videos of them running a cable up to a iron security door and using a armored car to pull it off, pretty much took the front of the house off ??
Hopefully it was the right address
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:33:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whatever method you guys choose just remember old people mistaking the gas and brake pedal can breach buildings more sturdy than most homes with zero training

https://www.rlsmedia.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/article/img_3198.jpg?itok=IWG3BYeu
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep.

There are certainly ways to make entry for a competent, well resourced, team more difficult or uncomfortable. Most those ways are expensive though, and ultimately they are still coming in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive done it multiple ways - explosive, kinetic, mechanical - all doors eventually lose.

Yep.

There are certainly ways to make entry for a competent, well resourced, team more difficult or uncomfortable. Most those ways are expensive though, and ultimately they are still coming in.

100% - even if the structure is weakened to the point of it being condemned afterwards,  we are getting in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can’t give specific numbers because i don’t know if it’s hundreds or thousands but i have worked with numerous Federal and State teams that use explosive breaching. I also know first hand of a bunch of local teams (ranging from small town teams out west to some big city teams) with the capability and more importantly - the expertise.  It’s a tool in the tool box that is employed IAW agency policy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#48]
So I ask a question about how doors are reinforced that some (albeit incompetent) teams can't gain entry in a few vids.....and I get a page full of replies talking about all the tools in the LE toolbox to correct that problem.

I love this place!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#49]
If you want to learn about hardening your home, talk to the firefighters.

At any rate. The best door would be a steel door, with thick ass hinges, that are somehow covered (or opens in and has cross bars) and is recessed.

They will get in, they will just call the FD or get their armored car or armored bobcat.

The FD and PD are not the people I am concerned with anyway.

You would literally have to build a fortress, it would be expensive, and your house would look silly to normal to people. Unless you had high millions to spend on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Here was a home breached by local swat

Shitty part is the house wasnt the bad guys

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top