Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know how these threads go.  That being said, we had a guy from dig safe come out and use a dousing rod and he was dead on where he marked them.  Not sure if he forgot his real tools as it was an emergency.  Not the first time I've seen it from the dig safe rep either.
View Quote

Work for DigSafe and you’ll probably have a good idea of how utilities go underground.

Then pull out your dowsing rods and “Oh wow, they really work!”
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in the desert I use them to find silicon dioxide deposits.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Pics or it didn’t happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know how these threads go.  That being said, we had a guy from dig safe come out and use a dousing rod and he was dead on where he marked them.  Not sure if he forgot his real tools as it was an emergency.  Not the first time I've seen it from the dig safe rep either.

The power Co here sends a guy with dousing rods to mark underground lines before you can start construction.

LOL I didn't take pics of the guy but it's true. I was adding on a 911sqft attached garage to my little shitty house.  Even though we weren't doing work on the end of the house that the power came in it was necessary to have the wire flagged.

Mid 50s age guy in the CoOp truck came out with his rods and paint can. Used them to paint a dotted line for about 20ft from the meter towards the street.

I have no claims to its efficacy but it's a fact here that the guy they send to mark for underground power lines uses rods and a pink spray can. Took him 60 seconds max.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 1:47:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
in on a dowsing rod thread to see the retardation
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is there anything it doesn’t detect?

Live wire
Cold wire
Running pipes
Gas lines
Standing water
Oil

Anything else?
View Quote

It can't detect bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 2:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I wish I was a faster draw with my phone.  I immediately thought of grabbing a pic for the Arfcom boys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif

I wish I was a faster draw with my phone.  I immediately thought of grabbing a pic for the Arfcom boys.

That is just........frightening.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Live wire
Cold wire
Running pipes
Gas lines
Standing water
Oil

Anything else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've used coat hangers in a pinch when I did directional boring .

See that tracer wire next to the gas line ? I don't understand why people think it wouldn't work

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/427921/images__7__jpeg-2407462.JPG

Because it doesn’t.

Go walk around by your gas meter and give it a whirl.

Live wire
Cold wire
Running pipes
Gas lines
Standing water
Oil

Anything else?

It's like marijuana, nothing it doesn't cure.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is solid evidence towards gun control.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 3:29:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I was unfamiliar with this concept.  Had a contract superintendent "locate" an 8in crude line with two welding rods bent to an L shape with the Flux knocked off.  I wasn't aware this idiocy had a name until I saw this thread.  For the record the line had above ground markers and had already been located.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The power Co here sends a guy with dousing rods to mark underground lines before you can start construction.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

I believe it. We aren’t whistling towards Idiocracy via random chance.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Live wire
Cold wire
Running pipes
Gas lines
Standing water
Oil

Anything else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See that tracer wire next to the gas line ? I don't understand why people think it wouldn't work

Because it doesn’t.

Live wire
Cold wire
Running pipes
Gas lines
Standing water
Oil

Anything else?

Watermelon and vagina. Sorry bud.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Dowsing rods 100% work, and not just for finding water. I've used the to find buried electrical, gas, and water. I've also seen DigRite use them to locate, and they are always spot on if you know how to use them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My theory is something to do with metal and magnetic fields and flow of electrons. I have more faith in using them to find buried lines than "witching for water" but I'm not going to put my job on the line using just rods.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s a million dollar open prize offered to anyone who can prove it’s not bullshit. The prize has yet to be claimed.

That said, I’m open to the possibility and an explanation for how they work.

My theory is something to do with metal and magnetic fields and flow of electrons. I have more faith in using them to find buried lines than "witching for water" but I'm not going to put my job on the line using just rods.

You must be a wizard,
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dowsing rods 100% work, and not just for finding water. I've used the to find buried electrical, gas, and water. I've also seen DigRite use them to locate, and they are always spot on if you know how to use them.
View Quote

I used a drill rig to find all of the same..
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Shit, I have a 50/50 chance of getting that correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know a grave digger that uses it to find graves in old country graveyards
Still works on very old graves and can tell the sex of the person in the grave

Shit, I have a 50/50 chance of getting that correct.

Damn, you are good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You must be a wizard,
View Quote

Well yeah. My wife is amazed at my ability to turn cash into steel, lead and brass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:26:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There’s a million dollar open prize offered to anyone who can prove it’s not bullshit. The prize has yet to be claimed.

That said, I’m open to the possibility and an explanation for how they work.

My theory is also that it works off of the earth's natural magnetic field. Somehow whatever is buried creates a disturbance in the magnetic field, that causes the rods to react. I would like to know how to claim that million dollars, because I have used them many times to find buried utilities, and many times they have been more accurate than modern locating equipment.  That being said, I still wouldn't take liability for a dig on a project based on using them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#19]
For the people that claim to use them to “find” utilities…

Did you locate them and then actually dig up the utility?

Or did you just mark where you thought the utility was and then dig somewhere else and claim victory because you didn’t hit anything?

There is a pretty huge difference between the two.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
in on a dowsing rod thread to see the retardation
View Quote
We don't need weekly threads on it, like tipping or left lane camping, but it sure as hell is good to see them pop up from time to time. Thanks, OP. I think we were due.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or did you just mark where you thought the utility was and then dig somewhere else and claim victory because you didn’t hit anything?

View Quote

I'm putting a 20" auger in the ground to dig a new 6-7 ft hole so I "locate" the utilities and set up to dig and miss them. Then wait for the various utilities to show up with their maps and equipment and mark their stuff. My boot heel marks and their paint lines match. I'm just doing it for fun and to pass the time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I tried them once and they worked.

Wife got mad though because they kept leading me straight to her crotch.

Moistest hole within a quarter mile.
View Quote

My new favorite word.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
You guys dug up utilities after watching the locate guy using ONLY dowsing rods?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've located and dug them up. It works as long as the utility has a tracer line. It's not magic.

It doesn't work with water, watermelon or vagina.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because it doesn’t.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it doesn’t.

I use them all the time digging utilities. I also have a Dynatel 2273 locator, sometimes its easier to grab my witching rods off my truck then to go find a place to hook up my transmitter. I don't know about water or watermelon but they can find the poles on a cut trench underground. I can even get an approximate depth.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is there an ASTM standard for dowsing?

When you call 811 do they break out the rods?

The answer to both is no for a reason.
View Quote

Water and sewer guys use rods. you think tracer wires are on all them old lines?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nobody had EVERY proven dowsing to work in an impartial test. For years there was a million dollar reward for anyone that could prove it worked in a double blind test. It was never collected. For those that claim to successfully dowse, I'm sure you still could collect a LOT of money if you could prove it works, go for it.
View Quote
That was the prize offered by James Randi's group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I use them all the time digging utilities. I also have a Dynatel 2273 locator, sometimes its easier to grab my witching rods off my truck then to go find a place to hook up my transmitter. I don't know about water or watermelon but they can find the poles on a cut trench underground. I can even get an approximate depth.
View Quote
Who do you work for?  I'm fairly certain the OCC will take a very dim view of this, should they observe it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Water and sewer guys use rods. you think tracer wires are on all them old lines?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When in doubt…sorcery!
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#30]
My grandpa always used a fresh cut branch from certain trees. Can't remember which. All these new wire thingys weren't around then and the water witchers were just about finding water.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who do you work for?  I'm fairly certain the OCC will take a very dim view of this, should they observe it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work for a telco. When im trying to find and hand dig up a bad drop or cable.  Im not putting paint on the ground with them and its just for me so OCC really won't even have a view on it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which magnetic field produced by what. How do the rods detect this field? Can you replicate this using a standard magnet which is going to be much stronger then whatever you think is inducing a magnetic field?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You can punch a hole just about anywhere in Texas and hit water with very few exceptions. (Southwest Texas and llano granite country)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did this with coat hangers when we were drilling a well. Me and the guy working with me got the same results in multiple spots. My helper's son stopped by and we used him for a blind test, he hit the same spots we did not knowing our results. We hit good water at 70 feet.

I think there is something to this.

You can punch a hole just about anywhere in Texas and hit water with very few exceptions. (Southwest Texas and llano granite country)

Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Some jackass took a bullshit dowsing rod that was initially marketed to retarded golfers to find their golf balls and rebranded it to find IEDs, people, and other shit.  He sold it to governments for tens of thousands of dollars a piece and probably got people killed in bombings because of it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
View Quote

Considering who bought them...I'll have a coke.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Which magnetic field produced by what. How do the rods detect this field? Can you replicate this using a standard magnet which is going to be much stronger then whatever you think is inducing a magnetic field?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know all the sciencey shit behind it but I do know when witching on a dirt county road the rods will pick up on the cut of the road where the road grader blade ends.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Some jackass took a bullshit dowsing rod that was initially marketed to retarded golfers to find their golf balls and rebranded it to find IEDs, people, and other shit.  He sold it to governments for tens of thousands of dollars a piece and probably got people killed in bombings because of it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
View Quote

In Afghanistan we would hold a weekly market on Kandahar,  and before we'd let people in we'd run the dogs around.  Well the Bulgarians we worked with was super excited to show us his explosive detectors.  So out come these two radio antennas on plastic handles.  He said you had to keep your elbows at your side and when they crossed it meant there was a bomb.  We played along so that he didn't feel bad.  Somewhere I have a picture of my capt dowsing for IEDs with it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those fuckers are not much better. Ask the residents of Star Creek in Allen TX.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Love me a good dowsing rod thread
View Quote

Witching sticks, duhh.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Funny how it doesn’t 100% work when it’s falsifiable.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I've seen it used to locate conduits underground, some under asphalt, multiple times. I believe what I see.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

Find an iron fence that has been undisturbed for several years. Take a thread and suspend a sewing needle and start bringing the needle closer to the fence. The needle will begin swinging toward the fence. The magnetic fields of the earth have induced a slight magnetism to the fence. I don't have all the answers, but I've done it and I've seen the rods move parallel to the buried lines.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#42]
W
Quoted:
View Quote

We would fire his ass if someone higher up saw that happen.

Now it could have been that he was trying to mark storm/sanitary/water lines that had no tracer wire and were measurement only type of location.

For gas/electric/cable/phone/fiber, the guys a dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Find an iron fence that has been undisturbed for several years. Take a thread and suspend a sewing needle and start bringing the needle closer to the fence. The needle will begin swinging toward the fence. The magnetic fields of the earth have induced a slight magnetism to the fence. I don't have all the answers, but I've done it and I've seen the rods move parallel to the buried lines.
View Quote

Lots of fence pipe is used drill pipe.

Drill pipe gets highly magnetized when rotating down hole in earth’s magnetic field..

So much so that we can stick hand tools like wrenches to it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:40:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

LOL I didn't take pics of the guy but it's true. I was adding on a 911sqft attached garage to my little shitty house.  Even though we weren't doing work on the end of the house that the power came in it was necessary to have the wire flagged.

Mid 50s age guy in the CoOp truck came out with his rods and paint can. Used them to paint a dotted line for about 20ft from the meter towards the street.

I have no claims to its efficacy but it's a fact here that the guy they send to mark for underground power lines uses rods and a pink spray can. Took him 60 seconds max.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, red for electric, yellow for gas, pink is for temporary survey markings so the guy was full of bullshit.

[I've located longer then the time much of ARFcom has been alive]
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why haven't you collected the money, then?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody ever collected the million and nobody has EVER been able to prove they work in an impartial test but it seems like half of Arfcom can do it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Magnetic fields strength has an inverse cube relationship to distance. In other words the farther you get from the field the strength decreases by the cube of distance (1/r^3). This is why magnets only really start to be noticeably attracted or repelled when they get extremely close. In order to induce the sort of forces you claim to be seeing in the rods these induced fields would need to be insanely strong.

How can these supposed forces be felt from objects buried feet underground if the strength does decrease so rapidly with distance?

I mean look at the Wikipedia article you posted. It took 16 Tesla (which is an insane amount) to levitate a tiny frog in a 32mm tube.

Are you seriously suggesting that underground pipes or water are so strongly magnetic that their forces can be felt feet away by some pieces of metal? Really?

The forces that you are claiming are produced by underground water or pipes  (and I don’t think you have produced significant evidence that they are produced) are almost certainly multiple orders of magnitude smaller than literally any other force in the environment. Wind, tremors in your body, the motion of your body as you walk, etc.

As for your iron fence example the iron fence is almost certainly exhibiting ferromagnetism which is again orders or magnitude stronger than other forms… and yet even in your own example it is so weak that it can only be felt on a needle (weighing nearly nothing) at extremely close distances.

Your theories would be quite simple to prove if true and yet no one has ever done so. You must then ask yourself if it’s really true.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

My theory is also that it works off of the earth's natural magnetic field. Somehow whatever is buried creates a disturbance in the magnetic field, that causes the rods to react. I would like to know how to claim that million dollars, because I have used them many times to find buried utilities, and many times they have been more accurate than modern locating equipment.  That being said, I still wouldn't take liability for a dig on a project based on using them.
View Quote

False. They are not more accurate than GPR. If they were GPR wouldn’t exist because it wouldn’t be needed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You guys dug up utilities after watching the locate guy using ONLY dowsing rods?
View Quote

That’s probably why they’re digging them up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

No professional locators use them. There’s a reason for that.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top