Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2022 12:15:58 AM EDT
Well, this sure as hell was a bizarre ass sight in my neck of the woods. Some dudes were out doing some T&E or upgrades to it.
Used to seeing a 105 or 120mm. But this thing=BIG-BADA FUCKING BOOM!!!!!!!!

As an ordnance fanatic, these things are Super Cool. Fuck blowing a structure up. Level the whole fucking block!:

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
For the uninitiated, this is?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the uninitiated, this is?
View Quote

An M1Dickfer.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've driven a lot of Abrams (was not a DAT) and I've never seen one of those.

Must be some new fangled doohickey.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah seriously, as a former 19K I have no idea what I'm looking at besides something sitting on top of an Abrams hull.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Um it has no gun. So what will it flatten stuff with? Harsh language?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Where am nug?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Its a fully functional turbo encabulator!

MICLICs are cool btw
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
ABV missing the John Deere parts from the front?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Water cannon?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:22:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:25:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Neat.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Its an explodey rope launcher.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative.
350 foot charge with 5 pounds of C-4 per linear foot=1,750 lbs of C-4 per charge. Someone correct me if those specs are off.

MICLIC Explosions • M58 Mine Clearing Line Charge

Skip to 2:20 for pure awesomeness
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

You set a minefield? That's cute.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Hell of a thing to see in the wild!

In action:

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#17]

The Izzys should use them on their violent armed “protestors”.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:33:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Midcap thread
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was just thinking what if you added some ball bearings to the rope and launched it down a troublesome street in urban warfare.  Dont think that street would be an issue any more a few hundred yards at a time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Plenty of Abrams chassis available.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

USMC Clearing IED's with MCLC (Mine Clearing Line Charges) Kajaki, Afghanistan
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:38:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Izzys should use them on their violent armed "protestors".
View Quote

They use 10/22s for those.

Lots cheaper
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:51:12 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Nicknamed "Shredder"
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Russians have used their version(UZ-77 Meteorit) on Ukrainians positions:
(High Order Detonation @1:38)
Russia Uses UZ-77 Meteorit Mine Clearance Vehicle On Fortified Building in Ukraine

UZ-77 Meteorit:

There's also footage of some of Bashar Al Asad's boys in Syria, leveling a bunch of buildings with all kinds of visible Terry's running around inside and out with one.

Can't find the vid though.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah seriously, as a former 19K I have no idea what I'm looking at besides something sitting on top of an Abrams hull.
View Quote

19k here as well maybe it's privately owned, and it can not have a firing system? Or maybe its some type  of simulator like a UCOFT? I dunno
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Hmm ok disregard my previous message this is the first I've heard of it
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

I have no idea what it's called, but I remember seeing a video of a mine clearing vehicle with a giant hammer flail on the front, or something similar.

Those drivers have to be crazy!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#28]
It will never get out of the driveway unless someone removes the track blocks. A chunk of 4x4 ??
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

The M1150 fucks.

Like some kind of giant, armored, angry, insectoid-alien thing, that spits long-ass cobwebs of high-order detonation when you piss it off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7MOu1HQPCc

UZ-77 Meteorit:
https://i.imgur.com/kyiQDDsl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/n0fFyFdl.jpg

There's also footage of some of Bashar Al Asad's boys in Syria, leveling a bunch of buildings with all kinds of visible Terry's running around inside and out with one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UZ-77 Meteorit:

Wow, crazy delay.  Nice to know you’d have time to Run Like Hell!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:24:10 AM EDT
[#31]
It’s transitioning.

Stop deadnaming it and respect its pronouns, you bigots.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:29:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Must not be a secret if you were able to just drive by, stop, and take a bunch of photos of it, with no one saying anything about it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

UZ-77 Meteorit:

I'd think these and other line charge throwers would be command detonated. Could be wrong though.

Any M58 MICLIC/ M1150 ABV operators on ARF that want to chime in? There's gotta be!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It’s transitioning.

Stop deadnaming it and respect its pronouns, you bigots.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#35]
I saw the Grizzly prototype (the engineer version) once.
Grizzly

There are also two different bridge layer versions on an M1 chassis.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:22:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#37]
All you have to do is run really fast to dodge all the mines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#38]
So, an Army M-1 based version of something the USMC has been using for over 30 years?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Negative.
350 foot charge with 5 pounds of C-4 per linear foot=1,750 lbs of C-4 per charge. Someone correct me if those specs are off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgP_EkuTpeI
Skip to 2:20 for pure awesomeness
View Quote

Impressive BOOM
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Unfinished bridging unit prototype?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'd think these and other line charge throwers would be command detonated. Could be wrong though.

Any M58 MICLIC/ M1150 ABV operators on ARF that want to chime in? There's gotta be!
View Quote

You’re correct. You align the vehicle to orient on the minefield, raise the rocket, fire the rocket, the rocket pulls out the line charge out of the crate and pulls it taught across the minefield. The rocket motor burns out and the line charge falls to earth in a straight line. It is comprised of a big fat rope (technical term) surrounded by 5lb. C4 blocks as you described above.

At this point the crew command detonates the line charge which creates a HUGE big badda BOOM that either detonates the mines via overpressure or hopefully throws them clear of the lane to either side. The lane is then proofed (checked to make sure there are no mines left) with either a roller or plow. Those used to be separate tanks, so here it integrates into one system that is ready to go as soon as the line charge goes off.

To the person that suggested launching and detonating this down a street and needing ball bearings - you have no idea of the amount of force this thing releases. It is awesome.????

IIRC the SDZ/surface danger zone is around a mile, and even there you feel it in your chest when it goes off. 62m away, it rocks the track. It would destroy the buildings and kill anyone nearby from overpressure.

- Old 21B/12A. Man I miss those days!
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Saw. You saw it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was just thinking what if you added some ball bearings to the rope and launched it down a troublesome street in urban warfare.  Dont think that street would be an issue any more a few hundred yards at a time.
View Quote

Canister rounds from an actual cannon would be better.  We hit streets and buildings in Baghdad from like 50 feet with 120mm canister, it was pretty devastating.

The last thing you want in a minefield is anything that adds more metal in case you need to deliberately clear the entire thing. Metal detectors will be useless at that point.  APOBS used to have metal in it and it was a nightmare as units tried to use it to clear trails of IEDs, and it just made everything worse, you had no way to proof it outside of hand probing, which you could have done in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Saw. You saw it.
View Quote

Seent.  He seent it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#46]
That's the Air Force version. Has a bar and hot tub and Starbucks in the box on the back
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:57:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Mine sweeper (bangalore launching type)?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Nicknamed "Shredder"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nicknamed "Shredder"

Yup.... fuk yo' minefiled
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

You’re correct. You align the vehicle to orient on the minefield, raise the rocket, fire the rocket, the rocket pulls out the line charge out of the crate and pulls it taught across the minefield. The rocket motor burns out and the line charge falls to earth in a straight line. It is comprised of a big fat rope (technical term) surrounded by 5lb. C4 blocks as you described above.

At this point the crew command detonates the line charge which creates a HUGE big badda BOOM that either detonates the mines via overpressure or hopefully throws them clear of the lane to either side. The lane is then proofed (checked to make sure there are no mines left) with either a roller or plow. Those used to be separate tanks, so here it integrates into one system that is ready to go as soon as the line charge goes off.

To the person that suggested launching and detonating this down a street and needing ball bearings - you have no idea of the amount of force this thing releases. It is awesome.????

IIRC the SDZ/surface danger zone is around a mile, and even there you feel it in your chest when it goes off. 62m away, it rocks the track. It would destroy the buildings and kill anyone nearby from overpressure.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious if they put pressure sensors in any of the crew's helmets and collected data.  I'd bet the risk of TBI to the crew is pretty high, especially after repeated firing.  Being close to explosives is hard on the body and that thing looks like it has a heck of a shock wave.  Looks like it takes a lot of work for two shots to clear 750 feet.  I'd love to see one fire in person though.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

@Eagle46

Ah, thanks for the inside scoop. So how often were these used in an anti-personnel role?

BTW, I found the vid of the Syrian Army(?) using the Russian version against some Terry's. Looks like some of the dudes got some serious, serious, record hang time:

Quoted:

I'm curious if they put pressure sensors in any of the crew's helmets and collected data.  I'd bet the risk of TBI to the crew is pretty high, especially after repeated firing.  Being close to explosives is hard on the body and that thing looks like it has a heck of a shock wave.  Looks like it takes a lot of work for two shots to clear 750 feet.  I'd love to see one fire in person though.  

I too, was also wondering about the blast effects that the crew would have to deal with long term...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top