Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/3/2011 7:41:26 PM EDT

going to get a new phone tomorrow, but can't decide.

Wife has a iphone, and I a samsung fasinate.

Love the android system.

what would you get?????????????????
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Iphone.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:44:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Razr, that's most likely what is going to replace my droid incredible in Jan. unless something else badass drops first that is as small or close to it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the Razr. Now I have the iPhone. Prefer the iPhone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you happy with the Android OS?  The Galaxy Nexus which will have Android 4.0, a big step up for Android, should be available next week.

Android vs. iOS (IMO) here in GD is like beans/no beans.  Staunch supporters of both.

I have been back and forth between Apple and Android in the last few years and I'll be upgrading from an iphone 4 to the Galaxy as soon as it's available.  The integration of Google products is far superior and I like little things that can be tweaked in Android that can't in iOS.

From the reviews, the iphone 4s seems to be a hell of a phone.  That being said, after having some of the larger phones, the 3.5" screen on the iphone 4 is just too small for me.  It really makes a big difference in texting, web browsing, etc just having that extra .5 to 1.0".  
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:49:01 PM EDT
[#5]
galaxy nexus
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
galaxy nexus

720p 4" screen is going to be badass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Droid = 4G

Iphone = not 4G
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
galaxy nexus

Sweet, I might go with this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
What would I get?  RAZR.  Hands down.  

Why?  I like an OS I can tweak to no end. I don't want cookie-cutter-sounds-and-looks-like-everyone-else.  

Get the RAZR, and then install Tasker.  Tasker makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my iPhone 4s.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
galaxy nexus

Currently waiting on the release.

Since September.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
galaxy nexus

Since September.

If VZW gives me an early upgrade around Christmas, I may have to seriously look at the Galaxy Nexus.  I like Moto stuff, but a couple things about the RAZR I don't like.  

I do have to check if the GN has a car and desk dock available, and if they don't cost too much money.  I love using my DX as an alarm clock, and the desk dock does this perfectly.   I want the same functionality in my next phone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the iPhone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Android OS:

iOS:

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Only complaint I have about my 4s is screen size and jailbreak taking too long.  I probably would go razr if it wasnt for all the apps I bought and dont want to re buy.  Also I agree with the post above iOS seems way more refined.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

REALLY???

Why??? Honestly why? Like paying more money for all your apps? Prefer 3g to 4g? Like a more breakable phone? Lack of external memory? Smaller screen? ect ect ect.... DONT GET THE APPLE MAINIA FOR AN INFERIOR PROUDUCT!??@?@?@

I really dont get it... LOVE my RAZR.. Want to throw my Ipad in the trash.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

galaxy nexus

Since September.

If VZW gives me an early upgrade around Christmas, I may have to seriously look at the Galaxy Nexus.  I like Moto stuff, but a couple things about the RAZR I don't like.  

I do have to check if the GN has a car and desk dock available, and if they don't cost too much money.  I love using my DX as an alarm clock, and the desk dock does this perfectly.   I want the same functionality in my next phone.

A few of the tech sites had Nexus docks pop up this week so they will be available.  Probably 40-60 for the HDMI and charging docks and 40 for the car dock.  

I played around with the RAZR at costco.  It has a really wide bezel that seems to make the phone seem really wide.  The Rezound felt better in the hand.  I have an upgrade waiting and will be first in line for the Nexus.  I have grown to really have manufacturer skins and while the moto ones aren't near as bad as HTC sense (IMHO) I still prefer a clean version of android like the Nexus will have.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]

iphone is awesome if you were the guy that always had 12:00 blinking on his vcr.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why?  I like an OS I can tweak to no end. I don't want cookie-cutter-sounds-and-looks-like-everyone-else.  

Get the RAZR, and then install Tasker.  Tasker makes a smartphone into a SMART phone.

What is Tasker? I am debating going the Razr route, getting away from my BBerry.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Want to throw my Ipad in the trash.

Can I have it?  I'll pay shipping.  IM me.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]

nice... honestly iphone folks are Obongo lovers... enough said. APPLE SUCKS ASS!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to throw my Ipad in the trash.

Can I have it?  I'll pay shipping.  IM me.

Ha ha... If the GF hadnt already taken it... (since the day I brought it home) I really would send it to you!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is Tasker? I am debating going the Razr route, getting away from my BBerry.

Tasker is an app that lets you automate things.  You can do tons of shit with it, but as an example:  When I'm within 2000m of my office (set by the cell tower location), my phone turns on BT, turns off WiFi, sets the volume and screen timeouts to what I want for at the office.  When I get home, it turns off BT, turns on WiFi, sets the volumes back up where I like them and does a few other things.

It not only adjusts settings based off of location... it can use many events as triggers.  One guy wrote a script in it that will, if you text the phone a certain word, will turn on GPS, get a fix on its location, and then reply to the text with the GPS coordinates.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

nice... honestly iphone folks are Obongo lovers... enough said. APPLE SUCKS ASS!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just pointing out how stupid Bohr_Adam's post was.  iPhones are nice devices, and they do what they do well.  They do what Apple will let you do, and they do it well.  If you're not into tweaking and customization, iPhones are great, because they work and are smooth out of the box.

If you want to play with your shit, set it up for YOU, customize a ton of shit and actually have control over your device, you go with Android.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:33:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just pointing out how stupid Bohr_Adam's post was.  iPhones are nice devices, and they do what they do well.  They do what Apple will let you do, and they do it well.  If you're not into tweaking and customization, iPhones are great, because they work and are smooth out of the box.

If you want to play with your shit, set it up for YOU, customize a ton of shit and actually have control over your device, you go with Android.  

Not jumping into the iPhone vs. Droid debate, but by reading this post, is the Razr's OS not that smooth out of the box? I'm tech illiterate for the most part, but can figure it out. Main reason for the Razr is I am very hard on my phones, and figured the Razr may be a bit more durable than the iPhone.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just pointing out how stupid Bohr_Adam's post was.  iPhones are nice devices, and they do what they do well.  They do what Apple will let you do, and they do it well. If you're not into tweaking and customization, iPhones are great, because they work and are smooth out of the box.

Yep... and if you want to put movies or music on your on phone just plop them on a memory card (which an iphone WONT take) and throw it on your ANDROID phone in ANY format and it WILL play it!!!!

OR hook up your POS iphone to your POS computer (probly apple you liberal! Why dont you go occupy something! and then upload it to your apple device with shit ass itunes in the one and only format your crap ass apple device will support...

I really hate Apple... SOOOOO LIMITED!!! Ive had both but APPLE SUCKS!!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/3U8cX.jpg

Damnit Rush!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm just pointing out how stupid Bohr_Adam's post was.  iPhones are nice devices, and they do what they do well.  They do what Apple will let you do, and they do it well. If you're not into tweaking and customization, iPhones are great, because they work and are smooth out of the box.

Yep... and if you want to put movies or music on your on phone just plop them on a memory card (which an iphone WONT take) and throw it on your ANDROID phone in ANY format and it WILL play it!!!!

OR hook up your POS iphone to your POS computer (probly apple you liberal! Why dont you go occupy something! and then upload it to your apple device with shit ass itunes in the one and only format your crap ass apple device will support...

OBV you dont have both because you dont have to hook your iphone to your computer to sync.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believed this shit in May when I bought my worthless POS Motorola Atrix.

I suppose if I could program my own apps, maybe.  Why would I want to, when Apple and other programmers for the iPhone have done it better than I ever could?

Then there is the little things, like being able to type on the onscreen keypad, swap keyboards, etc. effortlessly.

I have to admit, I did get spoiled by the upper case to lower case display shift on the Android.  A small loss considering that now when I don't have to constantly backspace and retype avery other letter because the touchscreen interface is so shoddy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not jumping into the iPhone vs. Droid debate, but by reading this post, is the Razr's OS not that smooth out of the box? I'm tech illiterate for the most part, but can figure it out. Main reason for the Razr is I am very hard on my phones, and figured the Razr may be a bit more durable than the iPhone.

Depending on your work environment, no matter the phone, you'd should check out an otterbox or griffin survivor case.  I've dropped plenty of phone and I haven't seen one be any better than the others.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OBV you dont have both because you dont have to hook your iphone to your computer to sync.

Nope dont have a crap ass iphone... But do have a crap ass ipad

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I-stuff is currently a generation behind. They made some cool stuff, but now its over priced and outdated.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I-stuff is currently a generation behind. They made some cool stuff, but now its over priced and outdated.

True DAT!!!

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, I have an unused Motorola sitting next to my desk that was supposedly state of the art just this summer.  If it is any indicator of what you can expect from the Razr, run away.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

Why??? Honestly why? Like paying more money for all your apps? Prefer 3g to 4g? Like a more breakable phone? Lack of external memory? Smaller screen? ect ect ect.... DONT GET THE APPLE MAINIA FOR AN INFERIOR PROUDUCT!??@?@?@

For me it seems more intuitive. Just all around easier to use, FOR ME. Personal taste and all that. Don't give a shit about 4G, don't notice the difference. I know someone with a Thunderbolt. He has to charge it 4 times a day, but it has 4G and a larger viewing screen. Does that make it better?

ETA: Not happy with the price of apps.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on your work environment, no matter the phone, you'd should check out an otterbox or griffin survivor case.  I've dropped plenty of phone and I haven't seen one be any better than the others.    

True... Otterbox will save your iphone... BUT... The Iphone 3G (which is all they offer) is already 3 times as thick as my 4g RAZR... Put the Otterbox on it and it is a BRICK!!

I LOVE Otterbox by the way and am good friends with alot of people at the company.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True... Otterbox will save your iphone... BUT... The Iphone 3G (which is all they offer) is already 3 times as thick as my 4g RAZR... Put the Otterbox on it and it is a BRICK!!

I LOVE Otterbox by the way and am good friends with alot of people at the company.

What do you mean all they offer?  Otterbox does my iphone 4 and 4s cases.....
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

<snip>

I'm going to get an Otterbox most likely, but am looking at the griffin cases now. I've had 6 blackberrys in 4 months. Work environment isn't to bad, but I'm a volly FF so it has a tendancy to get thrown on my rack and land on the engine room floor, or dumped out of my truck as I'm driving to call. Future career will probably be even harder (LE). What is better OB or griffin?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:43:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

For me it seems more intuitive. Just all around easier to use, FOR ME. Personal taste and all that. Don't give a shit about 4G, don't notice the difference. I know someone with a Thunderbolt. He has to charge it 4 times a day, but it has 4G and a larger viewing screen. Does that make it better?

ETA: Not happy with the price of apps.

If it works for you than thats great! Yes and I had a Thunderbolt too and the battery was HORRIBLE but 4G is improving as well as battery life... The RAZR is much better,

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

My iPhone screen actually "feels" bigger.  I really don't notice it to be slower.  Inferior?  Hardly.

Notice how the hardcore Apple bashers constantly reference move playing, "rooting," customizing, you name it.  If you want a phone that is also a hobby, I suppose Android is the way to go.  If you want a productivity enhancing tool, look no further than iOS.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Otterbox offers cases for everything BUT Apple only offers 3G right now... NOT 4g.... Thats all I meant... Otterbox is an excellent company.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Otterbox offers cases for everything BUT Apple only offers 3G right now... NOT 4g.... Thats all I meant... Otterbox is an excellent company.

Oh ok gotcha....Im on att and they only offer 4G in a handful of cities so mine no included so thats no important to me right now anyway.  Besides the 3G numbers on ATT's network with hsdpa+ are pretty damn close to 4G other networks (verizon, sprints, etc.) not so much.

In fact depending on the area ATT 3G on the iphone 4s has beat other networks 4G in download and upload speeds.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:49:03 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>

I'm going to get an Otterbox most likely, but am looking at the griffin cases now. I've had 6 blackberrys in 4 months. Work environment isn't to bad, but I'm a volly FF so it has a tendancy to get thrown on my rack and land on the engine room floor, or dumped out of my truck as I'm driving to call. Future career will probably be even harder (LE). What is better OB or griffin?

I initially bought the Otterbox but then returned it for the Griffin.  The rubber was too loose on the OB.  The fit/finish on the Griffin felt much better to me.  My only complaint on the Griffin was the beltclip.  It didn't hold the phone at all.  But I'd rather have a pouch type case anyways so it was a non issue for me.  

Check out some reviews on Amazon on the OB v. Griffin.  I think you'll see similar comments.  Shitty fit on the OB, shitty belt clip on the Griffin but overall superior product.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

My iPhone screen actually "feels" bigger.  I really don't notice it to be slower.  Inferior?  Hardly.

Notice how the hardcore Apple bashers constantly reference movie playing, "rooting," customizing, you name it.  If you want a phone that is also a hobby, I suppose Android is the way to go.  If you want a productivity enhancing tool, look no further than iOS.

So would you assert that Android cannot be used for productivity?  

Or could one enhance productivity AND tweak all on the same device?

As for movie playing... I've done it on my Transformer tablet.  But basically the idea is media. It's MINE, so _I_ should control it.  Not iTunes.  I can drag/drop any media file onto either of my devices via USB connection.  I can use different apps to transfer over WiFi or Bluetooth.  I can use DropBox.  The device doesn't care where it came from or how it got there.  If it is a valid format, it JUST PLAYS IT.

I have a first gen iPod that lives in my car since my car has an iPod connector.  I set up a VM in VirtualBox just to run iTunes, because I hate that shit so much, I don't want it polluting my desktop.  

Android allows me to avoid having to use some crappy software on my computer just to control my media.  Take it how you want, but to some of us, that's a HUGE advantage.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

REALLY???

Notice how the hardcore Apple bashers constantly reference move playing, "rooting," customizing, you name it.  If you want a phone that is also a hobby, I suppose Android is the way to go.  If you want a productivity enhancing tool, look no further than iOS.

I disagree with you there.  For what it is, for me at least, Android's integration of Google products is amazing for business stuff.  Where I work, we have emails forwarded to gmail and we use google talk a lot especially when I'm out of the office or in court.  Doing stuff in gmail, using google talk, creating/editing google calender appointments is much easier on Android than ios.  Not to mention, if I forget my USB drive, and need to move a file, I can just plug in my phone and drag/drop files, unlike iOS.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REALLY???

Notice how the hardcore Apple bashers constantly reference movie playing, "rooting," customizing, you name it.  If you want a phone that is also a hobby, I suppose Android is the way to go.  If you want a productivity enhancing tool, look no further than iOS.

So would you assert that Android cannot be used for productivity?  

Or could one enhance productivity AND tweak all on the same device?

As for movie playing... I've done it on my Transformer tablet.  But basically the idea is media. It's MINE, so _I_ should control it.  Not iTunes.  I can drag/drop any media file onto either of my devices via USB connection.  I can use different apps to transfer over WiFi or Bluetooth.  I can use DropBox.  The device doesn't care where it came from or how it got there.  If it is a valid format, it JUST PLAYS IT.

I have a first gen iPod that lives in my car since my car has an iPod connector.  I set up a VM in VirtualBox just to run iTunes, because I hate that shit so much, I don't want it polluting my desktop.  

Android allows me to avoid having to use some crappy software on my computer just to control my media.  Take it how you want, but to some of us, that's a HUGE advantage.  

Exactly.  What language was that?  Do you realize most people don't care?

I don't think I ever "controlled media" once on my phone, whatever that means.  I made phone calls, sent e-mails, sent texts, accessed dictionaries, searched for, entered and edited contacts.  All of that is easier on the iPhone.  Enjoy your multimedia hobby toy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I have the razr. Wife has the iPhone. The difference in speed is just not even comparible.

She is always waiting on shit to load, maps to paint, etc. Betwen the dual core processor and 4g, this damn razr waits for nothing.

Nb
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Exactly.  What language was that?  Do you realize most people don't care?

I don't think I ever "controlled media" once on my phone, whatever that means.  I made phone calls, sent e-mails, sent texts, accessed dictionaries, searched for, entered and edited contacts.  All of that is easier on the iPhone.  Enjoy your multimedia hobby toy.

English.  If you have difficulty understanding what I wrote, then you ARE better on an iPhone.

As for all the stuff you mentioned that you do, I really REALLY fail to see how they are harder on an Android device and or easier on an iPhone. I've had both, and pretty much all of those functions are so similar as to be negligible in difference.  The one big difference I enjoy on Android is editing my contacts through my Gmail account, and having the changes automatically sync to my phone.  

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top