Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm happy with my HTC Inspire.  Does everything I need it to do and does it well.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife just got an iPhone 4s. I have an Evo.

my camera is better

really?

It's the same resolution and it's easier to use and change settings at least in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With iOS 5 and the 4S, the biggest advantage Android retains is the native navigation software.  It's really good.  You have to buy an app to get the same functionality on iOS.  Not an outright deal killer, but be aware.  (In the past, Verizon has crippled any navigation software that wasn't theirs.  Not sure if this affects Android.)

iOS 5 + 4S address the other major advantages Android had: better notifications and voice transcription.  Now, the iPhone is at least on par if not superior.

Mobile flash used to be something that everyone claimed made Android a superior platform.  Now that Adobe is killing mobile Flash, it's funny to see how quickly it became a non-issue for Android supporters.  "Oh, well, Flash isn't really important" vs earlier, where it was "ZOMG Android has FLASH Apple don't Apple u sux!"

4" v. 3.5" screen hasn't been an issue for me.  Between tap-to-zoom and the Reader feature in iOS Safari which reformats web pages as screen-optimized text, the screen size has been fine.

Customization?  There's plenty of customization for things that matter in daily use.

Speed?  If you're a Sprint or Verizon customer, Android phones will be faster via mobile, and no difference via wifi.  If you're an AT&T customer, the experience will be about the same on mobile and wifi between phones.

Android on verizon has full google turn by turn navigation and maps.

Flash is nice to have when browsing sites that use flash.

4.3 and 4.5 in screens are great.

Verizon is adding about 15 cities a month to its 4G network.  I think At&t is finally up to 15 total.

I love the integration with google and pretty much what everyone else said.  I keep a shared google calendar with all our appointments,  kids sporting events etc.  ...easily supported and viewed on my phone and my wife's.  Google maps and nav are great.  

I have the DROID bionic.

Adobe has dropped development of mobile Flash, so don't count on it for the future.

Won't matter, someone will develop a 3rd party free solution to that. When a hole exists, people fill it. That's why I like Windows/Android because the more open nature allows people to tinker and fill the gaps that the developers don't or won't fill themselves.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The ability to swap in a fresh battery while I'm on site is mandatory. The RAZR and Iphone are off the table because of this.  That  being said, I have users with both platforms and they all seem pleased with their choices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#5]
iPhone Pros:
Screen clarity- The retina display makes everything look so damn clear, however if you have trouble seeing smaller text I could see this might be an issue.
Syncing- It is very easy to do through iTunes. I know most people on here say that it sucks, but it's easy to follow.
Touch screen- More responsive to touch.
Build quality- This one is isn't fair. One manufacturer, one phone. Easier to keep things in check. This also means that 'majority' of apps will run better since they are optimized for one device.
Battery life- So far, have had better luck with the iPhone. This gets into optimization though.

Cons:
Screen size- I definitely wish it had a 4" screen, but it's not the end of the world. Phones with anything bigger than 4 feel like a damn mini tablet.
Speed- I am on Verizon, who isn't known for a fast network on 3G anyways, but I get reception wherever I go, something that could not be said with Tmobile.
Lack of widgets- Definitely miss this.
Lack of removable memory?- This isn't an issue for me, but objectively speaking I can see this would irritate people. However, I believe the iPhone has larger internal memory than Android phones, but no removable memory (6&1 half a dozen......)

Android Pros:
Screen size- 4" is definitely nicer, just a bit more is helpful.
More customization- Thank god for xda developers, or I would have set my Vibrant on fire long ago (although I did go swimming with it, hence the g2x replacement).
Current hardware- No question here, a new Android is out every 2 months, always gonna have the next best.
Removable memory- Self-explanatory.

Cons:
To open- I know I am contradicting myself here, but your android experience will vary. Many phones, some garbage, some good. No way for Google to run QC on the amount of phones that have Android.
Build quality- iPhones feel better in the hand, more solid. Could this be the weight, probably. I was never a fan of the amount of plastic on the majority of Android phones.
Contacts- I loved the gmail integration, but absolutely hated how the are organized. (First name basis, really?) Unless I missed on how to change that, then remove this con. Screen clarity- I had the super amoled+ on the Vibrant, so the colors were great. But not quite as crisp with text as on the iPhone.

I've had both, currently liking my iPhone, but I did like the g2x. Hopefully this will help some people trying to make up their mind.

Good luck with whichever phone you pick!

"that's just like your opinion man"

Post is screwing up, but I've had an iPhone 3g, Samsung vibrant (Worst company in history when it comes to support, run far away), LG g2x, and now a 4S.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Much rather have the glass phone then that cheap plastic android crap.

Are you talking about the screens? Many Android-based phones have Gorilla glass. My Motorola does.

No I was refereeing to the whole phone.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to throw my Ipad in the trash.

Can I have it?  I'll pay shipping.  IM me.

Ha ha... If the GF hadnt already taken it... (since the day I brought it home) I really would send it to you!

Bah.  Any other takers?  IM me.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

my camera is better

really?

It's the same resolution and it's easier to use and change settings at least in my opinion.

How adjustable is the camera on the new iPhone 4s's?

Can you adjust things like ISO, WHite-Balance, metering, etc?

The camera on my Samsung is better than my P&S of 3 years ago.  It's basically has replaced a P&S.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I don't think I ever "controlled media" once on my phone, whatever that means.  I made phone calls, sent e-mails, sent texts, accessed dictionaries, searched for, entered and edited contacts.  All of that is easier on the iPhone.  Enjoy your multimedia hobby toy.

It sounds like you aren't even looking for a smart phone, if that's all you use it for.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't think I ever "controlled media" once on my phone, whatever that means.  I made phone calls, sent e-mails, sent texts, accessed dictionaries, searched for, entered and edited contacts.  All of that is easier on the iPhone.  Enjoy your multimedia hobby toy.

It sounds like you aren't even looking for a smart phone, if that's all you use it for.

Do you consider the Blackberry a "smart" phone?

My primary needs is a good contacts database, and e-mail capability - followed by dictionaries and other reference materials.  No non-"smart" phone meets those needs.  Blackberry's contact crap was a disaster, and aways had problems with custom fields.  E-mail was great with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

my camera is better

really?

How adjustable is the camera on the new iPhone 4s's?

Can you adjust things like ISO, WHite-Balance, metering, etc?

The camera on my Samsung is better than my P&S of 3 years ago.  It's basically has replaced a P&S.

It doesnt stock but a .99 cent app will let you do it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you consider the Blackberry a "smart" phone?

My primary needs is a good contacts database, and e-mail capability - followed by dictionaries and other reference materials.  No non-"smart" phone meets those needs.  Blackberry's contact crap was a disaster, and aways had problems with custom fields.  E-mail was great with it.

Can you access/edit your contacts through Address Book on Mac if you don't have your Iphone and you're away from your Mac?  

I don't mind using address book, but didn't bother trying to figure out how to sync it since I already have everything set up in Google Contacts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you're describing the OEM mess that many phone companies hand to you, it's a good point. It's also a good point when comparing Apple computers to OEM bundles on Windows.

However, with 10 minutes of your time you can have an Android phone running whatever the fuck you want - in most cases a much faster, more stable and slicker OS. You can't do that to the Iphone. Then, you can't add more memory to your iphone, or swap the battery out quickly on the fly, or run as many apps or utilities, or easily use the phone and its memory as mass-storage, or....well you get the idea. Plus, and this goes back early in the days of Apple Vs. everything else comparison, people compare an Iphone to Androids as if there's only one of each. There are probably close to 100 android phones on the market. How many Iphones? It's grossly simplistic to compare hardware when that's the case.

If you just take what you're given, the Apple is great. If you don't mind paying a lot, and fear looking behind the curtain, it's a solid choice.

Rooting and installing a new ROM on an android is a simple, painless procedure. When I meet people who haven't done it and curse their Android I have to wonder if they're stupid or lazy. Took me less than a half hour to read the directions, install 2 small files, and run them. Viola.

Then, with another 5 minutes you can back it all up and have it easily and completely reversible so that there is no fears of warranty issues or anything of the sort. You can un-root and put it back to OEM state simply.

I wonder how many people with strong opinions about the Android phones even attempted to make their phone better...or just took what they were given and bumbled around with it? Probably all of them...then they defended themselves with the only excuse they had "I shouldn't have to tinker with it". Yeah, well, you shouldn't have to put oil in your car or tell your wife she looks nice either but both make your life easier. Lazy and/or stupid. Because the only thing stopping you once you have an Android in your hand is reading 10 minutes of directions, installing a file or two, and having a new phone.

If you enjoy having to root your phone to get it to do what you want it do, it certainly seems that Android is the platform for you.

Everything I want and need in a phone is present on an iPhone. Fast web, near-perfect Activesync support, a good native mail app, a good native contacts app, great battery life is back with 5.0.1, small profile, and enough free stupid apps to keep me occupied during those long con-calls. What for should I want or need to root it for?

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had both phones.  I liked my 3G, until the iPhone 4 was released, and the OS was pushed too far back.  It basically bricked my phone due to the hardware being unable to drive the OS.

I really like my Droid X.  I've had it for about 20 months, now, and it still acts as my primary contact phone (work and home,) PDA, every-day alarm clock, navigation system, MP3 player, Pandora radio in the card, sitting-on-the-couch-watching-TV-with-my-daughter-and-googling-stuff-to-answer-a-9-year-old's-inevitable-questions, etc... device.

While the iPhone is a good device, and I thank Apple for all-but-creating the Smartphone market, some of the reasons I prefer Android:

*  Removable / Upgradeable memory
*  Removable / upgradeable battery  (I travel a lot, and this is nearly a deal-breaker for me.)
*  Choice in form-factors (larger or smaller screen, thinner or more robust form factor, on-screen or slide-out keyboard, etc...)
*  Built-in full navigation software for free
*  4G support
*  Multiple market support  (Competition is the American way.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're describing the OEM mess that many phone companies hand to you, it's a good point. It's also a good point when comparing Apple computers to OEM bundles on Windows.

However, with 10 minutes of your time you can have an Android phone running whatever the fuck you want - in most cases a much faster, more stable and slicker OS. You can't do that to the Iphone. Then, you can't add more memory to your iphone, or swap the battery out quickly on the fly, or run as many apps or utilities, or easily use the phone and its memory as mass-storage, or....well you get the idea. Plus, and this goes back early in the days of Apple Vs. everything else comparison, people compare an Iphone to Androids as if there's only one of each. There are probably close to 100 android phones on the market. How many Iphones? It's grossly simplistic to compare hardware when that's the case.

If you just take what you're given, the Apple is great. If you don't mind paying a lot, and fear looking behind the curtain, it's a solid choice.

Rooting and installing a new ROM on an android is a simple, painless procedure. When I meet people who haven't done it and curse their Android I have to wonder if they're stupid or lazy. Took me less than a half hour to read the directions, install 2 small files, and run them. Viola.

Then, with another 5 minutes you can back it all up and have it easily and completely reversible so that there is no fears of warranty issues or anything of the sort. You can un-root and put it back to OEM state simply.

I wonder how many people with strong opinions about the Android phones even attempted to make their phone better...or just took what they were given and bumbled around with it? Probably all of them...then they defended themselves with the only excuse they had "I shouldn't have to tinker with it". Yeah, well, you shouldn't have to put oil in your car or tell your wife she looks nice either but both make your life easier. Lazy and/or stupid. Because the only thing stopping you once you have an Android in your hand is reading 10 minutes of directions, installing a file or two, and having a new phone.

If you enjoy having to root your phone to get it to do what you want it do, it certainly seems that Android is the platform for you.

Everything I want and need in a phone is present on an iPhone. Fast web, near-perfect Activesync support, a good native mail app, a good native contacts app, great battery life is back with 5.0.1, small profile, and enough free stupid apps to keep me occupied during those long con-calls. What for should I want or need to root it for?

Enjoy setting up my phone? Yes I do. I enjoy customizing things to make them work for me. Rooting it just gave me more options and it removed the "force fed" OEM stuff that I don't want pushed on me. You got force fed with your phone, you just happen to like the flavor. You can jailbreak an iphone, too, but I think you're making my point about Apple owners...so thanks I guess.

It took less time rooting than most people do putting their pictures and bullshit on their new phone, and when I'm done it runs perfectly and with any number of choices of OS. My point is that it's not a step that's awful, or scary, or even should be looked at as a "downside". It's actually a feature...IMHO, the ability to undo someone else's choices of what they think you should have.

You're happy with your Apple, lots of people are, but honestly my post was aimed at people unhappy with Android (needlessly). Given the hardware perks of an Android (or I should say limitations of your iphone), the more carrier options, the price, the phone choices themselves, it's worth talking about how to make the Android a better phone because it's easy.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
<––-iPhone user here.  Will some droid user please break this down for me?

What tangible advantage are you adding when you customize your phone so much?  Can you post some things you guys have done to your phones to make them so amazing, and break it down to someone who has never owned an android phone?  I really hope you guys post something that knocks my socks off, because there isn't much my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 will not do quickly and efficiently.  I've got a couple gripes with it, but I've got a couple of gripes with EVERYTHING in the world.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
With iOS 5 and the 4S, the biggest advantage Android retains is the native navigation software.  It's really good.  You have to buy an app to get the same functionality on iOS.  Not an outright deal killer, but be aware.  (In the past, Verizon has crippled any navigation software that wasn't theirs.  Not sure if this affects Android.)

iOS 5 + 4S address the other major advantages Android had: better notifications and voice transcription.  Now, the iPhone is at least on par if not superior.

Mobile flash used to be something that everyone claimed made Android a superior platform.  Now that Adobe is killing mobile Flash, it's funny to see how quickly it became a non-issue for Android supporters.  "Oh, well, Flash isn't really important" vs earlier, where it was "ZOMG Android has FLASH Apple don't Apple u sux!"

4" v. 3.5" screen hasn't been an issue for me.  Between tap-to-zoom and the Reader feature in iOS Safari which reformats web pages as screen-optimized text, the screen size has been fine.

Customization?  There's plenty of customization for things that matter in daily use.

Speed?  If you're a Sprint or Verizon customer, Android phones will be faster via mobile, and no difference via wifi.  If you're an AT&T customer, the experience will be about the same on mobile and wifi between phones.

Verizon is adding about 15 cities a month to its 4G network.  I think At&t is finally up to 15 total.

I love the integration with google and pretty much what everyone else said.  I keep a shared google calendar with all our appointments,  kids sporting events etc.  ...easily supported and viewed on my phone and my wife's.  Google maps and nav are great.  

I have the DROID bionic.

Adobe has dropped development of mobile Flash, so don't count on it for the future.

Won't matter, someone will develop a 3rd party free solution to that. When a hole exists, people fill it. That's why I like Windows/Android because the more open nature allows people to tinker and fill the gaps that the developers don't or won't fill themselves.

Not sure if serious, especially when you throw "Windows" in there.  How is Windows "more open" for development than OSX or Linux?  You may want to walk that one back.

Adobe, with all the funding available to them as a major corporation, didn't see mobile Flash as a worthwhile use of their time.  Adobe is putting their weight behind HTML5 like everyone else.  I'm sure there will be commercial apps for Android that you can buy to fill in Flash.  Some of them may even work, but the world is moving on.

Most of the "gaps" can be addressed with apps on either platform.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had the Razr. Now I have the iPhone. Prefer the iPhone.

REALLY???

Why??? Honestly why? Like paying more money for all your apps? Prefer 3g to 4g? Like a more breakable phone? Lack of external memory? Smaller screen? ect ect ect.... DONT GET THE APPLE MAINIA FOR AN INFERIOR PROUDUCT!??@?@?@

I really dont get it... LOVE my RAZR.. Want to throw my Ipad in the trash.

In before the Apple Hate... Dammit...
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Much rather have the glass phone then that cheap plastic android crap.

Are you talking about the screens? Many Android-based phones have Gorilla glass. My Motorola does.

No I was refereeing to the whole phone.
My 2 year old Droid X is aluminum and glass.  No plastic except for the buttons.  The new Droid Razr is aluminum with a Kevlar composite back plate.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#20]
RAZR for me.

Cost me one penny via the Amazon sale for new Verizon subscribers!

iPhone purchases support communist Obongo-loving douchebags.

I can set my phone up the way I want, not the way Apple Nanny wants.

iPhone = chickphone.

RAZR downers:  kinda big, non-removeable battery.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
iOS:

Android OS:

FIFY.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:58:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the DROID bionic.

Not sure if serious, especially when you throw "Windows" in there.  How is Windows "more open" for development than OSX or Linux?  You may want to walk that one back.

Adobe, with all the funding available to them as a major corporation, didn't see mobile Flash as a worthwhile use of their time.  Adobe is putting their weight behind HTML5 like everyone else.  I'm sure there will be commercial apps for Android that you can buy to fill in Flash.  Some of them may even work, but the world is moving on.

Not going to play geek swordfight with you, just a matter of math. Just look at how many 3rd party applications are available for Windows verses Linux (and OSX thrown in). All I'm saying is whatever Android or Windows lacks, someone will step in and fix and I can reel off hundreds of things over the years that has been that way.

The development side of the operating system is more open with Linux, but the amount of attention thrown at user needs is clearly and undeniably stronger with Windows...and the Android world shares some of this.

If people see a need for flash to exist on a mobile, they'll find a way...and the Android system is open to that.

That's all, now go back to sending Bill Gates hate mail or whatever ruffled your feathers.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What tangible advantage are you adding when you customize your phone so much?  Can you post some things you guys have done to your phones to make them so amazing, and break it down to someone who has never owned an android phone?  I really hope you guys post something that knocks my socks off, because there isn't much my non-jailbroken iPhone 4 will not do quickly and efficiently.  I've got a couple gripes with it, but I've got a couple of gripes with EVERYTHING in the world.

I worked in an office where I was the first one to use an iPhone.  Within a year, everyone had one.

Then it was

Ding!  Someone with an iPhone just got a text!
Beep!  Someone with an iPhone just got an email!
Bleep!  Someone with an iPhone has a meeting or calendar event.

It became funny to watch people all whip out their phones to check if it was them.  Back then, the only sounds you could change were the SMS alert, and the ringtone, but they were both very limited.  So one of the first things that attracted me to Android was that I could use ANY .mp3 or .wav file for ANY alert or notification sound.  This allows me to stand out and not have to check if that Ding! Beep!  or Bleep! was my phone or not.

And that was just the start.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I worked in an office where I was the first one to use an iPhone.  Within a year, everyone had one.

Then it was

It became funny to watch people all whip out their phones to check if it was them.  Back then, the only sounds you could change were the SMS alert, and the ringtone, but they were both very limited.  So one of the first things that attracted me to Android was that I could use ANY .mp3 or .wav file for ANY alert or notification sound.  This allows me to stand out and not have to check if that Ding! Beep!  or Bleep! was my phone or not.

Partly why I'm looking forward to the Galaxy Nexus.  Multi-colored LED notification light.  Different colors for email/sms/calender = win.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then it was

Huh...  Yeah I sorta remember that.  My phone is on silent 99.9% of the time so I never notice it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#26]
RZR or Atrix.  Apple gives you cancer and makes you teh ghey.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

going to get a new phone tomorrow, but can't decide.

Wife has a iphone, and I a samsung fasinate.

Love the android system.

what would you get?????????????????

Wait, and get the Galaxy Nexus.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Droid = 4G

Iphone = not 4G

This exactly.  I'm a big supporter of Apple products and own quite a few.  However I've never had an iphone and just got the Razr about a week ago.  Coming from a blackberry it's much different and takes some getting use to, but I really like it.  4G phones are everywhere, and I think Apple really missed the mark not having a 4G model in their latest release. They are usually the innovators but for some reason they have chosen to ignore this aspect of modern cell phones.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the DROID bionic.

Not going to play geek swordfight with you, just a matter of math. Just look at how many 3rd party applications are available for Windows verses Linux (and OSX thrown in). All I'm saying is whatever Android or Windows lacks, someone will step in and fix and I can reel off hundreds of things over the years that has been that way.

The development side of the operating system is more open with Linux, but the amount of attention thrown at user needs is clearly and undeniably stronger with Windows...and the Android world shares some of this.

If people see a need for flash to exist on a mobile, they'll find a way...and the Android system is open to that.

That's all, now go back to sending Bill Gates hate mail or whatever ruffled your feathers.

Number of applications != "openness" of a development environment.  The term you're looking for is "popular."  On the desktop side, OSX/Windows/Linux are all pretty much equally open regarding applications.  Obviously, Linux is more open at the OS level.  (If I was looking for a geek battle, I'd state that BSD is actually more open than Linux in all respects.)  To say that any one of them is more "open" for application development, however, is ridiculous.

You're right about mobile platforms, however.  If someone wants to spend thousands of man-hours reimplementing a dead technology, Android will let you.  Yay!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I-stuff is currently a generation behind. They made some cool stuff, but now its over priced and outdated.

This pretty much are  the facts of the whole argument

I'll just leave this here.

Funny that the 4s still beats THE premium Android phone that hasn't even hit the market. Generation behind, my ass.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top