Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 10:54:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How does that wifi work on these? Say i have my phone and am somewhere that has a wlan signal like my router. Can i connect the phone to it and surf the net, text and make calls for free over my ISP?

You can surf for free (and it tends to be a lot faster then using the cell company's network), but texting and calls still go over the cell provider's network.

Or does it just send out a wlan signal so that you can connect a pc to the internet anywhere you have a cell signal?

It can do that too once you root it.  I tested it tonight with my X and my netbook, works good.

I've been thinking about getting one of these kind of phones but having a hard time talking myself into a $500 phone when a laptop  is only a little more and would be more usable for me since i don't plan on spending $30 for a data plan.

I paid $200 for my phone, and the Droid X is one of the high powered phones on the market.  It doesn't replace a laptop, but it sure as hell compliments one nicely.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for answering that the-fly. How about being able to connect it to a phone with unlimited data so i can surf for free?

It would be full cost for me because i would buy a unlocked or full price phone else where since i don't want to sign a contract right now due to not being very satisfied with my provider for the way they did me on my last phone. Broke and they knew it had problems and even recalled it but never told me anything about it when i called to complain about the phone. So much for treating long time customers right. Hopeing they don't add the data anyway like some companies do if you use a smartphone.

Oh and do these show all wlan connections like a pc does?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for answering that the-fly. How about being able to connect it to a phone with unlimited data so i can surf for free?

I don't quite understand your question.  Verizon's $30 data plan that they require for smart phones doesn't have a cap per se (though I am sure if you abuse it by downloading huge amounts of warez, torrents, etc, they'll probably smack your pee pee).  But for any normal usage, I am sure you can tether and surf to your heart's content.  

It would be full cost for me because i would buy a unlocked or full price phone else where since i don't want to sign a contract right now due to not being very satisfied with my provider for the way they did me on my last phone. Broke and they knew it had problems and even recalled it but never told me anything about it when i called to complain about the phone. So much for treating long time customers right. Hopeing they don't add the data anyway like some companies do if you use a smartphone.

If you really don't want to sign a contract, I'd buy a used Droid 1 off ebay (click here) , sign up for service, and after a few months if you're happy with Verizon, then sign a 2 year deal and get the Droid X (or whatever floats your boat).

Oh and do these show all wlan connections like a pc does?

If you get the proper apps (available for free from the android marketplace), yes.  I have one app I use for testing wireless coverage at work.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was meaning that say i'm with a friend who has a unlimited plan and a phone with wifi could i connect to their phone with mine and be able to browse the net for free like i would with a router that has wlan? Looks like you answered it though.

I'll more than likely stick with t-mobile i'm just not going into a contract.  Verizon doesn't have the best coverage from what i have seen in some of the places i go. PLus isn't verizon or is it at&t that will auto bill you for using a smart phone?  If i could find a sweet deal i might go used but with new i can get a warranty which seems handy if paying more than $100 for a phone.

Back to the X has anyone had any issues yet? Seen something about the screen messing up already.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

has anyone rooted the DInc yet?

There's an "instruction" video out there, but it's a PIA.

Apparently, you can do it here now

http://www.unrevoked.com/

You, sir, are AWESOME!!

Thanks for the info, I just used it for my Incredible and it works!!  FLAWLESS VICTORY FTMFW!!!

Wireless tethering, ROMs, Kernels, nandroid backups, system backups, removing apps (CityID, Facebook, etc)...ALL are now belong to me!!

I'm gonna start another thread for anyone who's interested in the Incredible rooting, thanks again, now back to Droid X...

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 2:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my X rooted, wireless tether is up and running... SWEET!

what exactly is 'wireless tether'?

i assume (and i may be wrong) that it means you can use it to connect your laptop to the internet. use the droid x as a modem more or less. and it connects to the internet and then you connect your pc to the internet via the droid x via wireless or bluetooth.

if this is so, confirm.

also, seems like i read somewhere that to use your verizon smartphone as a 'modem' you had to pay an additional fee of 30 or more dollars. so if you do this root thing to use your droid x as a modem, does verizon catch on and charge you the money?

i was looking at one phone that could do this (act as a modem) and remember seeing this. btw, i have a lg ally (android) and an verizon EVDO usb modem. i pay 60 bucks a month for the EVDO modem.

The newer android smart phones can act as a 802.11 access point/router.

do you pay extra (phone + smartphone fee (30 bucks) plus tethering fee) ?

Not if you root the motherfucker  Already did it to mine, and works just dandy.

Motorola + Verizon can suck my hairy nuts

off topic but my tmobile hd2 did that out of the box for free

It sucked your hairy nuts??  And you didn't have to mod it to do so?!?!
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:19:52 AM EDT
[#8]
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

what the hell does root do?
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Gives you root level access to the system.  It's like having the Administrator account password.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Gives you root level access to the system.  It's like having the Administrator account password.

And what does having Administrator account passwords do?  I'm sorry but I reealy don't know.  Is it worth going through the trouble?

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:07:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

And what does having Administrator account passwords do?  I'm sorry but I reealy don't know.  Is it worth going through the trouble?

You can make changes that the phone normally doesn't allow you to do.    

For one example - some pre-installed applications you cannot uninstall.  Some of them run when you boot the phone, and you may not want this.  With root access, you can use a file browser to remove the executables (or rename them), thus removing the programs you don't want running.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:09:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I had to look-up what rooting is.

Now I just need a phone to do it on.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:15:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

In the past my friend has told me, "if you have to ask you probably wont benefit much from it"

So in this case I think I am happy with being a dumbass
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I predict a lot of bricked ARFCOM phones.

Go take a look at android central and androidforums.com

Honestly, I would wait until a disaster recovery solution is made available. Quite a few people have turned their phones into paper weights, and until a way to restore is found, they will remain paper weights. You can brick a phone when running as root user. Once Foryo 2.2 is out and is re rooted, and there is a recovery process in place, THEN I would root.

We do not know yet what the consequences of bricking the Droid X trying to circumvent the built in blocks are. A lot of people may end up getting billed for "defective" models once returned to Moto for refurbing. Let the guinea pigs be guinea pigs.
Also, good article on the subject of Android Open Source.

http://www.precentral.net/why-open-source-doesnt-always-mean-open-smartphones-oscon2010
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Honestly, I would wait until a disaster recovery solution is made available. Quite a few people have turned their phones into paper weights, and until a way to restore is found, they will remain paper weights. You can brick a phone when running as root user. Once Foryo 2.2 is out and is re rooted, and there is a recovery process in place, THEN I would root.

We do not know yet what the consequences of bricking the Droid X trying to circumvent the built in blocks are. A lot of people may end up getting billed for "defective" models once returned to Moto for refurbing. Let the guinea pigs be guinea pigs.

http://www.precentral.net/why-open-source-doesnt-always-mean-open-smartphones-oscon2010

This rooting doesn't seem too dangerous... AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GO MESSING AROUND with stuff you don't know anything about.

I haven't heard of anyone bricking their phones through rooting... now, those who have removed stuff that hadn't been tested by those who know more about it than me... like removing Backup Assistant... can end up bricking their phones.

I renamed (not removed) several APK's... but only ones that had been done and tested by those much more knowledgeable than myself in the phone environment.

If you go crazy with your new root access and start dinking around willy-nilly... yeah, you're gonna brick it.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#16]
A "Bricked" phone is easily restored to 'new', it's all resettable, the problem is the equipment and knowledge needed to find the TAG port on the board, and the original software to load in the FPGA chips.

It is not too hard to have a microcontroller brick itself through software, you only need to connect to the JTAG port to re-flash the OEM firmware to fix it.    When the JTAG or proprietary version of ICSP/JTAG port is not in one neat jack, but spread around on the circuit board, it approaches impossible for any DIYer to do.  The FCC and other countries have made laws to prevent cell phones from being user-modified.  

All of the root kits and kernels essentially use the same protocol as the Motorola Techs/Developers to attain root, it is a security "bug" from the manufacturer to allow bypassing the OEM bootloader.  However, when the consumer has the functioning device itself, it is nigh impossible to patch around that bug, as the backdoor is needed for legitimate software updates.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This rooting doesn't seem too dangerous... AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GO MESSING AROUND with stuff you don't know anything about.

I haven't heard of anyone bricking their phones through rooting... now, those who have removed stuff that hadn't been tested by those who know more about it than me... like removing Backup Assistant... can end up bricking their phones.

I renamed (not removed) several APK's... but only ones that had been done and tested by those much more knowledgeable than myself in the phone environment.

If you go crazy with your new root access and start dinking around willy-nilly... yeah, you're gonna brick it.  

And this is exactly what is happening.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Well sure, that's what happens when a bunch of noobs that have never seen a unix command line before start thinking they're experts because they followed some step-by-step instructions.

I know my limitations... I'll leave the "discovery" and "proof" to the experts.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:07:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well sure, that's what happens when a bunch of noobs that have never seen a unix command line before start thinking they're experts because they followed some step-by-step instructions.

I know my limitations... I'll leave the "discovery" and "proof" to the experts.  

Even though I have plenty of *nix experience, I will wait until a fool proof disaster recovery is in place. Right now people are bricking their phones all over the place.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Apparently many believe that the Froyo update, which we may get as soon as next month, will undo all this rooting work anyways and reset our phones back to 'stock' but upgraded condition... so they'll have to obtain root once again.

But I've also heard that it's believed that Froyo will enable wireless tethering by third party apps WITHOUT root... if that happens, that's great, I don't really need root then. So then I can get some SquareTrade insurance for my phone...
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't quite understand your question.  Verizon's $30 data plan that they require for smart phones doesn't have a cap per se (though I am sure if you abuse it by downloading huge amounts of warez, torrents, etc, they'll probably smack your pee pee).  But for any normal usage, I am sure you can tether and surf to your heart's content.  

VZ is going to cap it starting 7/29. I'd hardly be surprised if all the carriers don't go down this path. AT&T already has.

I had interest in a Droid X until the required data plan, the forthcoming data cap, and the boot loader "brick" feature. It sorta kills the fun aspect of it and the whole "open" thing if it's locked down to what the carrier wants.

I remember back in the day all the web sites showing how to get around the Verizon lockouts on the early Moto phones and download the OEM moto code. VZ has always had a nasty tendency to muck with the hardware / software so they can charge you "extra" for every flipping "feature" you might want to actually make the phone useful.

All the carriers and phone makers are desperate for extra revenue. Same for the broadband providers. The days of "unlimited" and "open" are fast approaching the end if this keeps up.

Hell all I really need is a phone. A camera is nice but I just want to make/receive calls. I'm not paying for squat extra. Not even text. F' that. Call me.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#23]
what is "roots"
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

VZ is going to cap it starting 7/29. I'd hardly be surprised if all the carriers don't go down this path. AT&T already has.

Do you have a source for that info?  The only link I could find was from a non-Verizon analyst agency connected with Reuters.  

Last I heard for the Froyo OTA update was August 7th.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#26]
So, are these phones being bricked because once you delete something there is no easy way to flash it back? From what I understand on the original Droid, it doesn't really matter what you delete from the phone because if you go too far, you can always reflash your ROM from the recovery mode.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So, are these phones being bricked because once you delete something there is no easy way to flash it back? From what I understand on the original Droid, it doesn't really matter what you delete from the phone because if you go too far, you can always reflash your ROM from the recovery mode.

Correct.  No "Rescue Mode" currently exists for Droid X.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top