Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Other places aren't secure so your room doesn't need to be as secure either"

Guess I should have kept the bare-minimum laptop that cost $1800 I needed to run regressions and data processing at my parents house. I could have driven 2 hours each way every day to get it. Same with my $400 textbooks.

"hurr dur hurr if you don't make your life and your son's life as dumb and hard as possible you're a pussy and an idiot OP"

-GD 2020
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm with you OP. College is full of opportunistic shitheads and thieves, especially in the dorms. This isn't the 70s or 80s where the most expensive thing most students own is a $70 bicycle. Laptops, textbooks, phones, and other personal items are easy to steel and fence in college towns. And can be very hard to replace for the student or their family. To say nothing of actual course work or research that is stolen. Having a door into one's personal living space that doesn't lock is stupid, especially in 2020.

I know the trend of GD being contrarian to every single OP concern has been slowly getting worse for the past decade but goddamn this thread is a real piece of work.

If he can't afford to lose it, keep it at OP's house. College housing, the library,  etc are not safe from theft, no matter what attempts are made to secure the property.

Anything still in the room is either disposable, or engraved with his name, password protected, and electronically tagged with FindMyiPhone so when it is stolen, he can wipe it remotely or find it in a trash can after the thief gives up. All data gets backed up to the cloud, in addition to saved locally.

A lockable Pelican that fits under his bed is only as secure as his habit of locking it and securing the key or the combination. Paint it some crazy pattern so someone dragging it through the hall is easily recognized on camera. Like his initials in 8" high bright orange letters.

Kharn

"Other places aren't secure so your room doesn't need to be as secure either"

Guess I should have kept the bare-minimum laptop that cost $1800 I needed to run regressions and data processing at my parents house. I could have driven 2 hours each way every day to get it. Same with my $400 textbooks.

"hurr dur hurr if you don't make your life and your son's life as dumb and hard as possible you're a pussy and an idiot OP"

-GD 2020

You missed this entire paragraph:
"Anything still in the room is either disposable, or engraved with his name, password protected, and electronically tagged with FindMyiPhone so when it is stolen, he can wipe it remotely or find it in a trash can after the thief gives up. All data gets backed up to the cloud, in addition to saved locally."

You're not taking Grandma's ashes to college, nor the heirloom silver.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
upper classman suites were two rooms with a common closet / bathroom area between them.

It was never a problem, because you knew your suite mates.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the important signage posted yet?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had a roommate.

My friend went to Towson and had the same thing but each room had 2 people...

Edit: they probably aren't locked because they had so many people lock the door into the other room, use the bathroom then leave without unlocking it. The other person goes to use their bathroom and is locked out and now your son isn't even home to unlock it.
View Quote
The locks go the other direction. You cannot lock someone out of the bathroom, you just prevent them from entering your bedroom via the shared bathroom.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You are worried about the security of the dorm room? Thats rich. Wait until he gets to his first class and is brain starts to conform to the mind control machine you delivered him to.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My college dorm showers were six shower heads in one big room for the whole hall. Nobody died or got raped. No  private toilets either.
View Quote

Public showers are a far cry from having unfettered access to your neighbor's dorm.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 11:11:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Public showers are a far cry from having unfettered access to your neighbor's dorm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My college dorm showers were six shower heads in one big room for the whole hall. Nobody died or got raped. No  private toilets either.

He has a roommate with a different bedroom, they share a bathroom. 2 people sharing one bathroom. Each with separate sleeping quarters with heir one entry/exit. This is luxury living, to a level I never realized existed in a college dorm, and people are spinning it as a horrible indignity.

The ability for some here to make a mountain out of a molehill is amazing.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are worried about the security of the dorm room? Thats rich. Wait until he gets to his first class and is brain starts to conform to the mind control machine you delivered him to.
View Quote

He is to the right of Trump and sometimes way too vocal about it. He won't be conforming to shit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#9]
My college dorm was a 60 man open bay with open showers.

We did have locking stalls on the shitter doors tho.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
He has a $1100 laptop, a Nintendo Switch (whatever that cost) and will soon have a bunch of textbooks that won't be cheap to replace. He also has a desire to be able to sleep w/o worrying about some clown coming into his room and fucking with his shit or him. I lock up shit around the house and sure as shit don't leave doors unlocked.

We are about a week in and already he has had a couple of girls that are in his orientation group comment on our solution. Maybe he can start his own cottage industry.

We should have looked at apartments but I didn't know that was an option. I never went away to school so I had no idea just how vibrant the first year dorms would be. My wife went to   school in Iowa and was as surprised as I was.

The boy seems to be settling in and  after classes start next week he might meet his suitmates and make friends with them but that does not mean he won't lock the door when he is sleeping or at class.

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#11]
We took my youngest son down to ODU many years ago (2005??).  We got his stuff up to his room.  One of his room mates appeared to be part zombie or something.  We came in, started putting stuff on an empty bed and that kid turned his stereo up, rolled over and buried his face in the wall.  Every time we came up to the room that's the way the kid was positioned.  Like looking at someone else caused him physical pain.  

The hallways were full of kids running back and forth, yelling, dancing, acting like kids with no one to tell them loud noise isn't good for your ears and running into people isn't polite.

We finished getting his stuff up there and said goodbye and drove home.  The next morning he was on the phone, begging us to come get him.  He said he couldn't stand it.  I asked what was wrong?

He told me that evening, once the last of the parents left, the alcohol and pot came out of hiding.  He said kids were falling down drunk in the hallways, pissing in the hallways/corners, coming into peoples rooms and throwing up, the smell of pot smoke was so strong it was burning his eyes, some kids were loudly screwing in their rooms and one couple was going at in the hallway on the floor.

He just said, "Dad, I wasn't raised like that, I can't stand being around these people.  I told him to tough it out one more night and I'd be down Monday to get him after he talked to the folks in Admin and explained why he wasn't staying and that he wanted his tuition and fees back ASAP.  Monday morning he called and said Sunday night was as bad, or worse than Saturday night and he was on his way to Admin to see about getting us reimbursed.  I went down and got him a couple hours later.

He went to school at VCU and lived at home instead.

I would really hate to send my kids to a college these days.  It can't be good.

I've always thought it would be a good thing for kids to graduate high school, go in the military for 2 or 3 years and then go to college, if they still felt the need to go to college.  At least the military has people running herd on the kids and trying to keep them out of the worst troubles kids can get into.  Or they did when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

College Freshmen are some of the biggest degenerates around.   Coddled kids with poor judgement and life skills are suddenly left with no adult supervision.   Many are there simply because their parents forced them.   Expect the worst

In my first semester of dorm life, 90% of my classmates were drunk or high 3 days a week, every week.   The cumulative GPA after the first semester for the Freshman class was 1.0, despite a small group that earned 4.0s.    

When I told off the local drug dealing kingpin, a Junior, he had his thugs attack me.   I spent 3 months carrying a pistol and going nose-to-nose with them.   They broke through a heavy steel door and destroyed everything in my dorm room twice, including $1500 in textbooks.  

I tape-recorded some of their death threats, as well as their assault on another student, and photographed the massive bloodstains.    I told the Dean of Students I wanted out of my housing contract immediately or my evidence would go straight to the local newspaper, and that if he didn’t reign in the druggies, people were going to die. We became mortal enemies at that point, and he made damn sure my teachers screwed me whenever possible for my entire four years.

The Dean gave me back my contract.   It took three weeks to move out and in that time the Dean and his Resident Assistants searched my room several times when I was in class, but they never did find my pistol.   I’m sure the Dean was getting his drugs from this dealer.   When he got busted for dealing, the college paid for a defense attorney.
View Quote

I’ve seen that movie...
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Without locking bathroom doors OP’s son may get caught doing blow with the bathroom-mate in the bathroom.

ETA: Or get caught having butt sex...

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
It's my son that is there not yours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We took my youngest son down to ODU many years ago (2005??).  We got his stuff up to his room.  One of his room mates appeared to be part zombie or something.  We came in, started putting stuff on an empty bed and that kid turned his stereo up, rolled over and buried his face in the wall.  Every time we came up to the room that's the way the kid was positioned.  Like looking at someone else caused him physical pain.  

The hallways were full of kids running back and forth, yelling, dancing, acting like kids with no one to tell them loud noise isn't good for your ears and running into people isn't polite.

We finished getting his stuff up there and said goodbye and drove home.  The next morning he was on the phone, begging us to come get him.  He said he couldn't stand it.  I asked what was wrong?

He told me that evening, once the last of the parents left, the alcohol and pot came out of hiding.  He said kids were falling down drunk in the hallways, pissing in the hallways/corners, coming into peoples rooms and throwing up, the smell of pot smoke was so strong it was burning his eyes, some kids were loudly screwing in their rooms and one couple was going at in the hallway on the floor.

He just said, "Dad, I wasn't raised like that, I can't stand being around these people.  I told him to tough it out one more night and I'd be down Monday to get him after he talked to the folks in Admin and explained why he wasn't staying and that he wanted his tuition and fees back ASAP.  Monday morning he called and said Sunday night was as bad, or worse than Saturday night and he was on his way to Admin to see about getting us reimbursed.  I went down and got him a couple hours later.

I've always thought it would be a good thing for kids to graduate high school, go in the military for 2 or 3 years and then go to college, if they still felt the need to go to college.  At least the military has people running herd on the kids and trying to keep them out of the worst troubles kids can get into.  Or they did when I was in the Army.
View Quote

Bubble boy?

It’s college... quit sheltering your kids!
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 1:46:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's my son that is there not yours.
View Quote

You are doing your son a disservice.

I know pot needles are scary...
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You are doing your son a disservice.

I know pot needles are scary...
View Quote

How am I doing him a disservice?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How am I doing him a disservice?
View Quote

Sheltering him and not letting him learn things for himself. That’s a reason why some people send their children away from home for school.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sheltering him and not letting him learn things for himself. That’s a reason why some people send their children away from home for school.
View Quote

He already knows assholes are assholes and he knows to secure his shit so I don't get pissed at him when it comes up missing. Is he just supposed to supply the entire school with free shit? let me know why securing the door is such a terrible thing?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Expecting privacy in a dorm is like expecting honest used car salesmen.

Move him to an apartment, deal with it, or live in the dorm and steam the semester on Youtube.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Every dorm ive been to had locks on the doors.  Fuck that open door and signed agreement bullshit.
View Quote

This, when I was in my dorm (3 years ago) the bathroom doors were lockable along with the doors leading to the public hallway
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#22]
So why do you still have to solve his problems? Isn’t he an adult now?
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 8:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am MOSTLY onboard with that but I am sure that you served with some complete fuckups that had zero business in the .MIL. It made it harder on everyone from boot to the fleet. I don't want EVERYONE to serve.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2020 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am MOSTLY onboard with that but I am sure that you served with some complete fuckups that had zero business in the .MIL. It made it harder on everyone from boot to the fleet. I don't want EVERYONE to serve. My son is like yours in that he has just never been around TOTAL Fuckups. I guess when I moved away from home I made it a point for my kids not to have to grow up like I did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am MOSTLY onboard with that but I am sure that you served with some complete fuckups that had zero business in the .MIL. It made it harder on everyone from boot to the fleet. I don't want EVERYONE to serve. My son is like yours in that he has just never been around TOTAL Fuckups. I guess when I moved away from home I made it a point for my kids not to have to grow up like I did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'll still have to order from the McDonald's drive-through on occasion, so he'd better get used to dealing with stupid people on a daily basis.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The sooner a man deals with fuck-ups the sooner he learns to deal with fuck-ups.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If he had a roommate in the same room, it would pretty much be the same situation as a connecting bathroom.  I don't think it is as big of a deal as you think.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He already knows assholes are assholes and he knows to secure his shit so I don't get pissed at him when it comes up missing. Is he just supposed to supply the entire school with free shit? let me know why securing the door is such a terrible thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If his shit goes missing, your son can either take the roommate down to the loading dock and duke it out, report it to the RA for non-judicial resolution, or call the police. It's the same as if he was in any other 2-person dorm room, just he has a private bedroom vs a bunkbed. The roommate is equally motivated to keep his door locked so his own stuff does not get ransacked.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like a

waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I was a freshman the most expensive things in my room were engineering textbooks.
View Quote

goddamn right.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top