Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2023 11:56:22 AM EDT
Moron dropped a 5 gallon bucket of paint off a truck.  Ended up diving through it since I did not see it soon enough to avoid.  Took it through the car wash right away, but that hardly got any of it off.  Scrubbed it with a washcloth and got most of it off.  

Will this have a long term affect on my paint?  Should I call my insurance company?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally,  I'd take it to a good detailer and tell them everything you said here
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a lot of work. Id be tempted to have a detail guy do it but found this if you are a DIY.
How To Remove Road Paint Splatter! - Chemical Guys
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally,  I'd take it to a good detailer and tell them everything you said here
View Quote

This

Or just drive it and don't worry about it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Long term effect on paint?
Yeah. It will stay there until your remove it.
Will probably come off with a buffer…
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Clay bar followed by a cleaning wax such as chemical guys butter wet wax will clear it off. I’m assuming you scrubbed with a towel and that’s mard the paint so it probably need to be polished out. Call a detailer and call it done
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

How else would you do it, if not personally?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Who gives a shit?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I would try WD40.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Who's the real moron?  The guy that didn't secure the paint and it fell or the guy that wasn't paying attention and drove through it?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I watched a spray paint can fall off a construction pickup on 405.  Thought I'd do a good deed and crush it with my pickup.  Got it while it was rolling!

Came home and found yellow spray in my fender liner and a few spots outside.  I just left them on like an award for marksmanship.

ETA: the cloud of yellow in my side mirror was awesome.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a compact SUV, go drive thru some mud, it will cover it up
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How else would you do it, if not personally?
View Quote

usually my butler, or the chauffeur, would handle those menials tasks for me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
RIP
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Detailer…if it’s important to you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My car would welcome extra paint.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Eh, that should come off fairly easy if you hand wash it / clay bar it. Some dipfuck, lost a case of spray foam in front of me the other day. That stuff is going to be on my truck forever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Who gives a shit?
View Quote

As someone who owes nothing on my 4 cars (2 of them less than 30k miles) and takes care of their possessions, me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#19]
DOT 3 for the win.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would try WD40.

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Super easy to remove with a little time and effort.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=removing+road+paint+from+car
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Pics of wife?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Spill a gallon of paint thinner in the road and drive through it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Who's the real moron?  The guy that didn't secure the paint and it fell or the guy that wasn't paying attention and drove through it?  
View Quote

I really had no other option.  It was rush hour, I was dropping my kid off at school, and the paint was spread across both lanes on westbound traffic.  If I would have noticed it sooner, I may have been able to slow down a little more so as not to throw it as much.

People are idiots.  There is another intersection nearby with dried paint in it for the last few months.  Almost wonder if someone is doing it on purpose.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

A good detailer will take that right off.  I did the same thing and it sat for a week before I had time to mess with it.  

I think I paid like $200, included a full detail/polish.

I don't know what he used, or how he did it..Didn't ask.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would try WD40.

View Quote

What real men know
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#27]
try other colors?

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Mineral spirits will take that shit right off
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:49:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Goof Off to remove the splatter then clay bar followed by a good waxing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#30]
How come you didn't drive your Minivan?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#31]
The washcloth probably did more damage than the paint. It'll need a clay bar and maybe a polish afterwards.

Also if you have a dashcam. The person/company is responsible or should be for any damages.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How come you didn't drive your Minivan?
View Quote

Sold it a while ago.

Actually was driving her car so i did not get mine hot.  Had to crawl under mine to remove some vegetation from underneath from taking it off-road.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Well . . . since it's your wife's car . . . it must be her problem.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who gives a shit?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Want to do it quick? Here is how. I have seen this done to a lot full of new cars that got overspray on them. IT WORKS!  

Use a razor blade

I did it on an Explorer I bought used and it was a snap to get the overspray paint off. I just used a water hose for the lube doing it.  Prepping the blade properly is important!
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:15:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I knew a dude that did overspray claims for insurance companies. He said he scraped with a razor blade filled Device similar to a razor. It took about 30 minutes per square foot. He billed at $85 per hour. They would send it to a body shop after that most of the time to finish. It was cheaper than buffing off the finish to the metal for some reason.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I knew a dude that did overspray claims for insurance companies. He said he scraped with a razor blade filled Device similar to a razor. It took about 30 minutes per square foot. He billed at $85 per hour. They would send it to a body shop after that most of the time to finish. It was cheaper than buffing off the finish to the metal for some reason.
View Quote

If he took 30 minutes per square foot, he was riding the clock some. I have done a whole hood in less than an hour.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#38]
If it's latex paint 91% isopropyl alcohol will take it off.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
If it were me, I would scrap the car and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Could be worse. A few months ago I saw a large amount of 2x4s fall out of the back of a pickup and total the small car behind him on the interstate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Clay bar and wax is what you desire.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The washcloth probably did more damage than the paint. It'll need a clay bar and maybe a polish afterwards.

Also if you have a dashcam. The person/company is responsible or should be for any damages.
View Quote

Once any debris hits the road, it is out of play per State Farm. Muh work van was stuck behind a landscaper trailer dropping cinder blocks. One hit, bounced/tumbled, and took out the windshield, and put a dent on a fender. The company I worked for was SOL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#43]
50/50 mix of paint thinner and a finesse polishing compound. Follow up with wax.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I had this happen to me when it was like 25* outside. I got most of it off with the pressure washer while creating a skating rink in my driveway.

Once it got warm I clay barred the paint. Acetone in a spray bottle and rags got it off plastic (inner fenders and underside).
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:42:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I would wait til tomorrow after work.  Come inside the house and say "What the fuck did you do to your car?!"

That should get you a few passes on other shit
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

If he took 30 minutes per square foot, he was riding the clock some. I have done a whole hood in less than an hour.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. Just some dude at the bar. He bitched for about a week about having to do a bunch of cars outside once. They wouldn't let him drive them to a covered location. There was an available parking garage within 100 yards. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Mineral spirits and microfiber towel. I ran over a can rustoleum with primer and it dried before I could even stop. Mineral spirits cleaned it off and won't damage the factory paint.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#48]
That fuckin sucks.

I remember accidentally hitting a freshly painted yellow line in the middle of the street long ago.

That yellow paint absolutely fucked up my brand new Blazer. Saying it was a PITA to try to get at least some of it off is an understatement. That shit is like epoxy paint or something.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Why did you do that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bro, some folks care about their possessions, and the brain trust of Arf is unparalleled. I've lost count of the times good souls here have steered me to solutions for problems that had me scratching my head.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who gives a shit?
Bro, some folks care about their possessions, and the brain trust of Arf is unparalleled. I've lost count of the times good souls here have steered me to solutions for problems that had me scratching my head.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top