Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2020 10:33:56 PM EDT
We have a lot of shooting sports and competitions now days. Most people are using semi auto pistols and rifles with big mags.
So how was it way back when?  No competitions or no big mags or what?

I know anything is possible in the future but a lot of big names in the gun industry make an AR now lots of money to be lost if another ban happens.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We have a lot of shooting sports and competitions now days. Most people are using semi auto pistols and rifles with big mags.
So how was it way back when?  No competitions or no big mags or what?

I know anything is possible in the future but a lot of big names in the gun industry make an AR now lots of money to be lost if another ban happens.
View Quote

Who didn't have "big mags"?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok so what did you have
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Those Damn Scherer Mags
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of courses of fire designed around 10 Rd mags
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]
But airsoft mags hold hundreds of bbs...
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The democrat party banned the manufacture (for non-gov/LEO use) of XYZ items made after 9-13-1994, not the ownership, use, or sale/trade of existing items.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Typically, the rules were adjusted to allow ban compliant rifles and the use of 10 round magazines without it being a handicap to scoring.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I used the Canadian mags with the green follower, be damned if I remember the name brand, but they worked 100%
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The democrat party doesn't give a flying fuck about the gun industry dollars, taxes, or jerbs.

As seen over the past few months, they don't really give a fuck about any non-government industry.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok so what did you have
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok so what did you have

Anything we wanted. There was even this...ummm....rumor... that certain companies overseas were selling and shipping "big mags". I bought a USP45 with ten round mags. A few weeks later I had standard caps with no law enforcement markings straight from Germany.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#11]
It was a suck fest. My go to’s were a browning Hi Power, Colt Commander, and a modified Remington 870. I obtained several Browning mags at a gun show, the pre ban mags got harder and harder to come by.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I don’t know the answer but I assume combat style
Shooting sports have exploded in popularity compared to the 90s.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#13]
For USPSA, things ran as normal.  We were not allowed to buy new "hi-cap" magazines but we could buy the parts.  For the custom race guns you would buy a magazine tube and basepad from one company and then buy a srping and follower kit from another.  For "stock" pistols, you had to find pre-ban mags if you wanted "hi-cap".
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
New shooters were out of luck, or spending 100-150 for standard capacity mags vs ban mags for handguns.  The 1911 was incredibly revived with new makers showing up frequently with more and more custom options being standard.  Also larger capacity revolvers starting showing up and holding their own.  You could still get ar rifles, just incredibly aesthetically displeasing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Chinese and East German 30 round AK mags were $5 each.  East German AK74 5.45 30 round bakelite mags were <$10 for 4 new mags in  a pouch. Then there were Glock mags for $100 each.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Exactly. We still got them from various sources. They weren't illegal in most areas, you just had to run older mags. The newer ones were marked with a manufacture date, and also generally marked for Police or Military Use Only. Some bad little boys were able to get their hands on these, but kept them under wraps because they were subject to confiscation and hefty penalties to get caught with them.

I still remember the absolutely delicious feeling of getting my hands on the restricted mags. There was nothing quite like reading the markings on those mags hanging out of a mag well. For handguns, if a pistol was available in 40S&W & 9mm, we'd buy the 9mm versions, then use 40 S&W 10 round mags to take us up to 12 rounds of 9mm. Some guys would switch the 9mm springs & followers over to .40 tubes, others just used .40 cal. mags as purchased. Yup, we wuz bad.... fuck the law.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The democrat party doesn't give a flying fuck about the gun industry dollars, taxes, or jerbs.

As seen over the past few months, they don't really give a fuck about any non-government industry.
View Quote

Understood  that's what I was getting at a big industry could be lost
I guess what I am asking is did the abundance of options available to gun people today really start after 04.
I bought my first gun on my own in 2000 (turned 21) it was a ruger p93 with 10rd mags at the time I didn't know enough to want more than that
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I used the Canadian mags with the green follower, be damned if I remember the name brand, but they worked 100%
View Quote

Thermold. I had a half dozen or better. I had totally forgotten about them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a new "post ban" compliant Bushmaster in 1995 or so.  It did not have a threaded barrel or a bayonet lug.  High cap AR mags were available, many were surplus military.  Glock would trade a new Glock with LEO mags even for the old Glock with the pre-ban magazines, which they would then sell at a profit.  Used Glocks came with a ten rounder.  Manufacturers like Glock came out with the G26, G27, and G30, all built to fit the smaller ten round mags.  Sub compacts were a custom only thing before that.

ETA.  I don't think anyone was ever prosecuted for disobeying the 1994 AWB.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I guess what I am asking is did the abundance of options available to gun people today really start after 04.
I bought my first gun on my own in 2000 (turned 21) it was a ruger p93 with 10rd mags at the time I didn't know enough to want more than that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What helped you to understand you needed more?
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The democrat party banned the manufacture (for non-gov/LEO use) of XYZ items made after 9-13-1994, not the ownership, use, or sale/trade of existing items.
View Quote

That is also why many of us from that time period keep a good supply of mags, ammo and AR parts. Quite a few also took up reloading.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What helped you to understand you needed more?
View Quote

You guys for one
We get older learn more about the world I don't know 15 got to better than 10
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Orlite. Replacement pistol mag bodies. Stupid shit like $100 preban mags.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Big mags were available. They were just really expensive. I remember paying $135 for a Glock 20 10 mm 15 round mag. Used no less.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No competitions or no big mags or what?
View Quote

There were pre-ban mags o'plenty.  They were just expensive.  Every gun show had tables stacked high in 30-round steel mags.... but they were $50 or more, IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the early 2000s I was the only guy at the range with an AR and people would flock over and ask about it.

Got pre-94 30 rounders at gunshows.

Now everyone at the range has some sort of EBR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Big stick magazines were available. I may or may not have a friend that bought 6 hi-cap tubes, 6 followers, 6 springs, 6 baseplates and 6 baseplate inserts for his Infinity racegun from Brownells during the ban. To California, no less. They were shipped in one package, printed on one invoice and charged in a single transaction.

We were honestly surprised the order went through and not cancelled. We also thought, at the very least the order would have been broken up into two or more orders.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Just thinking about the dark days of the 90's just makes me shudder.  It made me a serious and committed ammo and magazine whore.  Never again do I get boned like that...

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ok so what did you have
View Quote

Pre ban 30rd mags, or LEO mags since the law wasn't actively enforced in many places. Some people just wrapped their mags in duct tape to cover the LEO markings.

Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Limit loading of mags to 10rounds so it didn’t become a $ advantage to buy $130 Preban mags.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I had several 20 round mags before the ban. After the ban you had to buy them modified with a 10 round spacer. I unmodified some by drilling out the pop rivet on the baseplate, remove the spacer, and reassemble. Presto, you had a 20 round mag that worked perfectly. Thanks Colt.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#32]
From what I recall there was never a great shortage of pre-ban mags, at least not around here. Before the 2004 sunset, I was picking up pre-ban Glock mags for $25-$40, same with AR15 30 rounders. Not going to get into how I acquired standard cap STI mags, but it was never an issue obtaining them.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
combat style Shooting sports have exploded in popularity compared to the 90s.
View Quote

This.

What we can really thank the AW ban for is the explosion of small carry pistols. With a limit of 10, might as well make the gun smaller to match.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Big mags were available. They were just really expensive. I remember paying $135 for a Glock 20 10 mm 15 round mag. Used no less.
View Quote
Yep

You just paid your money and babied your mags

When I shot IPSC heavily in the 90s
I had 5 mags with for my open 24C and G22 limited guns
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#35]
In 1998 the ATF was asked by a concerned Senator (Feinstein) to reexamine the sporting purposes clause.  Part of the reason for that was manufactures and citizens saying hey, why can't we get these AKs, etc. into the country for competitions like three gun?

Plus, people were finding ways around the 89 import ban (many here can explain it better than me) and the 94 AW ban at least in terms of creatively modifying firearms as we still see today like in CA.  

Start on page 30 of the document, page 28 after the TOC.  LCMM stands for "large capacity military magazine rifles."

The information collected on the actual use of the LCMM rifles for organized competitive
target shooting suggests that, with certain exceptions, the LCMM rifles usually may be
used and sometimes are used for organized competitive target shooting; however, their
suitability for this activity is limited. In fact, there are some restrictions and prohibitions
on their use. The use of the rifles in competitive target shooting appears more widespread
than for hunting and their use for practical shooting was the most significant. Although
we are not convinced that practical shooting does in fact constitute a sporting purpose
under section 925(d), we note that there was no information demonstrating that rifles with
the ability to accept detachable large capacity military magazines were necessary for use in
practical shooting. Once again, the presence of this military feature on LCMM rifles
suggests that they are not generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily
adaptable to sporting purposes.
View Quote

Different time but nonetheless in the late 1990s with Clinton in the WH and Feinstein pushing the ATF found what they were looking for.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:26:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

.. fuck the law.
View Quote

Trevor Moore: Drunk Texts to Myself - "Founding Fathers" - Uncensored

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#37]
If the feds never touched gun control again after 86, it’s likely that virtually no AR or AK makers, save a few, would exist. No innovations...  still very niche and exotic. Handguns would be popular, but CCW would be rare. And the Dems would carry far more elections too.

Ironically, by making things illegal, constantly attacking guns, threats of bans, and making it a huge political issue... gun sales have surged and cost the dems enough votes to swing a shitload of elections.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I still have a bunch of 10 round .40 Glock mags floating around.  I just wasn't willing to pay that much for 2 more rounds.

I had all the other mags I needed by then.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If the feds never touched gun control again after 86, it’s likely that virtually no AR or AK makers, save a few, would exist. No innovations...  still very niche and exotic. Handguns would be popular, but CCW would be rare. And the Dems would carry far more elections too.

Ironically, by making things illegal, constantly attacking guns, threats of bans, and making it a huge political issue... gun sales have surged and cost the dems enough votes to swing a shitload of elections.
View Quote

I am still waiting to see the results actually appear....

I don't believe Trump beat Hillary due to gun laws/sales.  She lost because she is a retard and doesn't know about things such as classified information.  She pretty much was show boating and could not be stopped on anything she was accused of.  In Obummers 8 years is when the previous panics actually happened.  I don't remember much of the Bush years besides 911 since Uncle Sam had my pretty busy at the time.

This year will be eye opening, probably for both sides of the fence in different areas.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It was a suck fest.
View Quote

Super sucky was back when GD hall monitors would turn you in for posting a picture of a possibly non compliant 94 ban gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:01:34 AM EDT
[#41]
I had some 20 and 30 round surplus mags.
But getting more was an expensive proposition.

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Super sucky was back when GD hall monitors would turn you in for posting a picture of a possibly non compliant 94 ban gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a suck fest.

The same cuck accounts now whine about NFA violations.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:04:14 AM EDT
[#43]
So you want us to tell you how it was "back in the olden times"?

Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yep

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep

I still cringe occasionally at the thought of dropping mags on concrete. Gives me flashbacks lol.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:17:57 AM EDT
[#45]
IDPA rules were/are retarded.  10 round limit.  
You have a G17, only 10 rounds allowed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Snitches deserve a permaban.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:26:38 AM EDT
[#47]
IDPA was born then, and specified 10 round mags because of it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
IDPA rules were/are retarded.  10 round limit.  
You have a G17, only 10 rounds allowed.
View Quote

When I hold shooting competitions I have a 5 round limit with one reload required per stage, so revolvers aren't handicapped. Saves on ammo, and makes reloading ability more important.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That is also why many of us from that time period keep a good supply of mags, ammo and AR parts. Quite a few also took up reloading.
View Quote

This.  There is also the aspect of every fucking gun dealer post Brady bill swiping a mag or two out of the pistol case when new shipments arrived only to end up for sale in the store.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#50]
In the 1980s and early 1990s,

The number of people owing an AR, AK, HK or clone, etc. was a fraction of what it is now.

The number of people competing was a fraction of what it is now.

The number of people legally able to CC was a fraction of what it is now.

Having a dozen magazines for a SA pistol or rifle was unusual.

Having thousands of rounds was unusual.

A military guy having SOT, SFAUC, let alone SFARTEC or OTC level training was the exception, not the rule.

The number of shooters in the country having even a high quality weekend pistol and weekend carbine level of training was a fraction of what it is now.

The 1994 ban spike interest and greatly increased ownership in the guns and magazine hoarding.

Various movements greatly increased legal CC availability.

Competition interest and numbers seemed to take off sometime during GWOT.

Same for training interest and availability.

Same for training interest and availability.

The increased training, increased completion, and various incidents greatly increased and normalized ammo hoarding.

In 1990, having an AR, a dozen or more mags, and having a few thousand rounds of ammo was unusual and uncommon.
CC and similar pistol outfitting was unusual and uncommon.
Competing, having kit, and having training was uncommon.

The concept of the 2A for keeping the government, LE, and military in check vs for hunting and basic home defense had faded into the background.
Almost nobody cared about full JBT treatment for gang bangers, drug dealers, etc.

Events in the early 1990s and the 1994 AWB shook things up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top