Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Just came back, it was basically Game of Thrones meets Tremors.  We probably should have watched the first one again, there was a lot going on that I couldn't remember.  Definitely a decent movie, albeit loooong, but still worth seeing at the theater.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Salusa is supposed to be a Hell-world.  Not where he and Florence Pugh are chillin'...

Shrug.  He wasn't that great. The plot at that point was pretty damn dumb.
View Quote

Tell me you’ve never read the book without telling me you’ve never read the book.  They weren’t on salusa, but thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Streaming it this afternoon.

Looks good. Better in some parts.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saw it today in IMAX and I thought it was amazing.

Full disclosure, I haven’t read the book yet, and I vaguely remember the 80s movie from my childhood. I do have Dune in paperback and audible, but for some reason have never gotten to it yet. My opinion might change once I read it as most often happens with big screen book adaptations.

I assume this second movie concludes the original book? Are the follow on books good as well?
View Quote

If you want the quintessential Dune experience, read Dune and Dune Messiah.

If you want to understand WTF the Golden Path is and go deep into political and philosophical rants by a several thousand year old tyrannical human worm hybrid, read Children of Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

If you want to read about crazy sexed up space nuns, cat fights, and sex addiction weaponized, read Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

ETA - as someone else said, it goes downhill from the first book. And from Reddit which basically covers it…

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tell me you've never read the book without telling me you've never read the book.  They weren't on salusa, but thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salusa is supposed to be a Hell-world.  Not where he and Florence Pugh are chillin'...

Tell me you've never read the book without telling me you've never read the book.  They weren't on salusa, but thanks.

Yep. The Emperor was definitely NOT on Salusa at any point in this movie.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw it last night in Dolby Cinema. The sound was amazing but the bass shakers in the Dolby Cinema chairs took it to the next level.

Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]

just in case you can't make it to the cinema.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've seen it 3 times in 3 different theaters (2 in IMAX).  I have been a fan for the book for over 40 years.  Part 2 blew me away in all the good ways.  I love this movie.

However, Zendayas constant angry girl face was getting to be a bit much, so you're not wrong in that. Walker was awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was okay.

Lots of wasted time of Chani making angry girl faces that could have been used to expand on the lore.

Walken was a horrible emperor.

Part 1 was the better film.

I've seen it 3 times in 3 different theaters (2 in IMAX).  I have been a fan for the book for over 40 years.  Part 2 blew me away in all the good ways.  I love this movie.

However, Zendayas constant angry girl face was getting to be a bit much, so you're not wrong in that. Walker was awesome.

Like I said, Chani was written to be his concious, since in the book all that was enternal monologue.   So she came off as a nag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from seeing it, it was amazing. My wife and daughter were bored to tears, I suggested they watch part 1 before we went, they declined. I am buying this as soon as it hits Amazon. One of the best movies I have ever seen.

Also have the 1st 3 books coming, will be here Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy shit was that a good fucking movie.

The IR film scenes were insane.  Little Elvis made a fantastic bad guy.  Much better than The Sting.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Made more than expected: $178.5M Globally.

Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Dune: Part Two has delivered on its promise to reenergize the box office after a terrible early winter.

Denis Villeneuve’s sequel — sporting an A-list cast led by Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya — opened to an estimated $81.5 million in North America this weekend, double the first film and the biggest opening of the year to date. It’s a major win for Legendary in broadening the audience for its Dune franchise, and is the biggest opening to date for Villeneuve and Chalamet.

Dune 2 is likewise whipping up a sandstorm overseas, where it opened to $97 million from 71 markets for a global start of $178.5 million. (It doesn’t land in China until next weekend and Japan the week after that.) Sci-fi can be a tough sell in certain regions, including some Latin American markets, but Europe and other areas more than made up for any gaps. The U.K. led with $11.5 million, followed by France ($9.3 million) and Germany ($8.4 million).
View Quote

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-part-two-box-office-1235839660/
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I need to find the first one somewhere and watch it.

The original was good, though really cut some parts short.

The book was a very good read.  Didn't read the sequals though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh I missed that it was her, hot blond looked like a hot blond. Make a lot more since now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Oh I missed that it was her, hot blond looked like a hot blond. Make a lot more since now.

It was not the Princess who got pregnant, it was Lady Margot Fenring.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

That Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I need to find the first one somewhere and watch it.

The original was good, though really cut some parts short.

The book was a very good read.  Didn't read the sequals though.
View Quote

TNT had 1 running this weekend. I use YTTV so DVRd it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just saw it. Great movie. I think Christopher Walken was a little underutilized but still a great movie.
View Quote

For once, Walken didn’t play Walken.

He played Emperor Shaddam IV
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Visuals were very good. Chani and her angry girl bullshit was horrible. Jessica, I mean, wtf. They really needed 3 movies to do this right. It was like chapter after chapter was given 2 mins of screentime. It was very disjointed and overall shit compared to the first one. Far too many deviations, enormously important ones, from the book. The whole ending was garbage. TC is simply not convincing. You cant cast a manlet as Paul Atreides. Wait for it somewhere you dont have to pay.
View Quote

Audie Murphy was 5’05”.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

For once, Walken didn’t play Walken.

View Quote

He kind of seemed like walken but a bit more subdued.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Just curious why we have to wait till 2028 possiblyv2030 for part 3?!?!?!

Great movie
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, Salusa Secundus is never seen in the first book.

For those who haven't read (or can't really remember) the books:

One of the recurring (minor) plot points in the first book is seperate characters asking Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Just go to the first show on Sunday. It'll be mostly empty
View Quote

Thats what I did and it was freaking packed. Usually thats my go to plan with movies.
Not a big deal though, no babies or boomers

As for the movie. DAMN it was good. I really liked it. Very well done.
Nice to see some great acting, fight scenes, no heavy handed CGI and no freaking woke crap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Loved it.  Also not disappointed in any the "changes" made compared to the books / earlier films.  At some point, characters, plot points have to be cut so you can deliver on the overall message in a reasonable screen time.

Can't wait for part 3.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
My brother and his wife loved it
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

It was to preserve the bloodline should Paul and Feyd both die.

ETA: and to plant the hypnotic controls as suggested above.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For once, Walken didn't play Walken.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just saw it. Great movie. I think Christopher Walken was a little underutilized but still a great movie.

For once, Walken didn't play Walken.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Was it just me, or did a lot of the scenes with the Fremen doing their rituals en masse just seem like Muslims in a mosque? I was getting that Intifada vibe a lot too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:55:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Was it just me, or did a lot of the scenes with the Fremen doing their rituals en masse just seem like Muslims in a mosque? I was getting that Intifada vibe a lot too.
View Quote

In the book, they’re ZenSunni. Zen Buddhism mixed with Sunni Islam. Heavy on the Sunni.

https://gizmodo.com/a-guide-to-dune-s-strange-and-intense-religions-1843460283
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

In the book, they’re ZenSunni. Heavy on the Sunni.
View Quote

Ok, good to know. Never read them.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:11:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Could have done without Girl Boss Chani.

But fun movie.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:20:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The IR film scenes were insane.  Little Elvis made a fantastic bad guy. Much better than The Sting.
View Quote
He was creepy as fuck
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Just got back from it.

Good movie overall and I was much more pleased with Lady Jessica's character in this one.  In fact, she's almost evil.  Much better than the crying simp they made her in the first film.  No wonder Rebecca Ferguson was so pissed.  I could hardly blame her.

Great filming, great effects....story is not too bad.  Not as good as they could have done ( some with part one ) but still very decent.

I will own it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:12:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Already bought my ticket.
View Quote

Me, too. Imax next weekend.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Today I learned some arfcommers live 2 fucking hours from a movie theater.
View Quote

Most days, i wish it were farther.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I won’t be able to see it until mid-March. I haven’t been excited to see a movie like this since LOTR.
View Quote

Same here. Raising our children, we seldom wasted our money and minds on the bulk of what Hollywood churns out for theaters. It had to be special for us to go. The LOTR trilogy had us all front and center.

My children are grown, but we will be together for Dune 2 next weekend. Front and center.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
He was creepy as fuck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The IR film scenes were insane.  Little Elvis made a fantastic bad guy. Much better than The Sting.
He was creepy as fuck

The more I see of that kid, the more I like him.  He's got a great career ahead of him if he keeps making good choices.

He looks solid in the trailer for "The Bikeriders" and it can't be easy to shine next to Tom Hardy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

just in case you can't make it to the cinema.
View Quote
Best watched in the theater

Will be watching it again at home though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:19:10 PM EDT
[#38]
is it as boring as the other ones?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Tell me you’ve never read the book without telling me you’ve never read the book.  They weren’t on salusa, but thanks.
View Quote

His homeworld, where his palace is, and where he gets his Sardaukar, is Salusa Secundus, right? And where he toddles off into exile with Count Fenring at the end of the book.  Kind of glad they trimmed his character from the movie, though it gives evidence for how seriously everyone involved with the breeding program took the work.

Not that the book really goes into detail about any conversations Irulan has with him, that aren't in the epigram/diary entries that lead off each chapter.

Lastly, what's with the Redditor-like tone?  Everything OK?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's he supposed to be, then? It's not stated, and his palace is on Salusa.  The book doesn't mention Shaddam flitting about, visiting this and that CHOAM world.  I guess he could.  I mean, would you want to stay there?  Where he's playing chess-ish (Cheops?  It's popular on Giedi Prime...) with Irulan doesn't look hellish, hence my comment.  

Which is another question.  Maybe I'm influenced by the first reel of Flash Gordon, but doesn't the Emperor have audiences from time to time with his subjects?  If so, where does he entertain them?  Where's the grand palace supposed to be?  To use a US metaphor, the NTC at Irwin is largely responsible for why the US Army is easily the toughest conventional land fighting force today.  As the brutal, BUD/S-on-(more) steroids environment of Salusa Secondus trains the Emperor's fighting men, and is a big reason the Emperor is the Emperor.  But we don't hold state dinners, galas, and other Imperial celebrations at Irwin.  We've other places.  The Emperor probably does too, and I wonder where those are?

Fun universe to think about, somewhat because Herbert had so many holes in its fabric.

On the movie, I'm not surprised, but I am annoyed, that DV didn't utilize an obvious tactic the Fremen who have explosives, are fanatical, are able to infiltrate the northern cities at will (Chani's group just shows up in the basin at the end), and that's Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The more I see of that kid, the more I like him.  He's got a great career ahead of him if he keeps making good choices.

He looks solid in the trailer for "The Bikeriders" and it can't be easy to shine next to Tom Hardy.
View Quote
Still has a if Anakin/Osama Bin Laden chosen one vibe to him.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Just finished it. I loved it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Saw it in Imax yesterday. Very well-made movie. Cinematography was incredible and epic on a scale i have never seen.

My only negative it Chalmette's yelling.  I like his acting, loved The King, but i felt the yelling was a bit over acting. A god does not need to yell. That is being picky.

Fayd was awesome. Twisted sociopathic and sadistic killer. Creepy mofo. Best surprise of the movie.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
snip

Can't wait for part 3.
View Quote

"Messiah"
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

His homeworld, where his palace is, and where he gets his Sardaukar, is Salusa Secundus, right? And where he toddles off into exile with Count Fenring at the end of the book.  Kind of glad they trimmed his character from the movie, though it gives evidence for how seriously everyone involved with the breeding program took the work.

Not that the book really goes into detail about any conversations Irulan has with him, that aren't in the epigram/diary entries that lead off each chapter.

Lastly, what's with the Redditor-like tone?  Everything OK?
View Quote

Yep, the Emperor gets Sarduakr from Salusa Secundus. SS is a "hell world" and serves as the Emperor's personal prison planet. While the official line is that Sarduakar are nothing more than the Emperor's levies, obtained early and trained intensely, the actual truth is that the Sarduarkar come from the survivors of the prison planet. The Emperor's actual home planet and place is on Kaitan

Once Paul ascends the throne, he strips the Emperor of financial independence, and forcibly retires the Emperor to SS, his own prison planet, but makes it a soft and gentle world- cuts the Sarduarkar off at the knees with that move.

This whole "hell world makes soldiers" thing is the plot start of the book- the Atriedes are popular, but not wealthy. Leto, along w/ Gurney, Hawat, & Idaho, have trained up a small core of Sarduakar-equivalent troops. Being a popular aristocrat with really talented troops was seen as a threat by the Emperor- so a deal was worked out with the Harkonnens to give up Arrakis to the Atriedes, and then have the Harkonnens take out the Atriedes. Space travel is controlled by the Spacing Guild, and combat transport is super-duper-ultra expensive. Atriedes see the plan coming, and plan to recruit the Fremen to oppose the combined Harkonnen/Sarduakar force, but the Harks send a waaaay bigger force than the Atreides thought possible.

Paul & Jessica surviving was outside of any Imperial/Hark plans. In the Empire, the aristocrat's power must be combined to equal the power of the Emperor. The aristocrat's fear is the Emperor picking off any one of the herd, so the when the Sarduarkar and Harkonnen invade Arrakis to topple the Atreides, the Sarduakar are dressed as Harkonnen troops. Everything appears to work, except there at the end when Paul shows up with a Fremen army waaaay bigger than the Emperor or Harks thought possible, and by tossing in a bit of unconventional-for-the-book weapons, including nuclear explosions, projectile weapons, and the worms. Having bested the Harks & Sards in combat and with the power to destroy the spice (movie makes it the nukes, it's a little more clever in the book- but same outcome), Paul has both political ascendency and a level of control over the Guild. Jihad!
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep, the Emperor gets Sarduakr from Salusa Secundus. SS is a "hell world" and serves as the Emperor's personal prison planet. While the official line is that Sarduakar are nothing more than the Emperor's levies, obtained early and trained intensely, the actual truth is that the Sarduarkar come from the survivors of the prison planet. The Emperor's actual home planet and place is on Kaitan

Once Paul ascends the throne, he strips the Emperor of financial independence, and forcibly retires the Emperor to SS, his own prison planet, but makes it a soft and gentle world- cuts the Sarduarkar off at the knees with that move.

This whole "hell world makes soldiers" thing is the plot start of the book- the Atriedes are popular, but not wealthy. Leto, along w/ Gurney, Hawat, & Idaho, have trained up a small core of Sarduakar-equivalent troops. Being a popular aristocrat with really talented troops was seen as a threat by the Emperor- so a deal was worked out with the Harkonnens to give up Arrakis to the Atriedes, and then have the Harkonnens take out the Atriedes. Space travel is controlled by the Spacing Guild, and combat transport is super-duper-ultra expensive. Atriedes see the plan coming, and plan to recruit the Fremen to oppose the combined Harkonnen/Sarduakar force, but the Harks send a waaaay bigger force than the Atreides thought possible.

Paul & Jessica surviving was outside of any Imperial/Hark plans. In the Empire, the aristocrat's power must be combined to equal the power of the Emperor. The aristocrat's fear is the Emperor picking off any one of the herd, so the when the Sarduarkar and Harkonnen invade Arrakis to topple the Atreides, the Sarduakar are dressed as Harkonnen troops. Everything appears to work, except there at the end when Paul shows up with a Fremen army waaaay bigger than the Emperor or Harks thought possible, and by tossing in a bit of unconventional-for-the-book weapons, including nuclear explosions, projectile weapons, and the worms. Having bested the Harks & Sards in combat and with the power to destroy the spice (movie makes it the nukes, it's a little more clever in the book- but same outcome), Paul has both political ascendency and a level of control over the Guild. Jihad!
View Quote

Thanks!  I'm aware of most of what you wrote already, but always good to summarize and refresh it.  Agreed that the whole Maker -> Spice -> Worm cycle would've been very long and complicated to show, and people still wouldn't have grasped the fragility of the whole system and Paul's threat to poison the cycle.

Is Kaitan mentioned in Dune---I don't remember that at all in the book---or is this something that gets explained in later books?
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Ooooo- good question! I think it's something briefly mentioned in the first book, maybe during one of Irulan's chapter-opening commentaries. I'll have to look once I'm back home.

Any guesses on Messiah? I didn't really like it as a book, maybe Denis has something fun to show us for part 3. Based on the movie, it would be pretty wacky if Chani was pregnant. Other than that, it really seemed like Paul and Chani broke up at the end of Part 2.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks!  I'm aware of most of what you wrote already, but always good to summarize and refresh it.  Agreed that the whole Maker -> Spice -> Worm cycle would've been very long and complicated to show, and people still wouldn't have grasped the fragility of the whole system and Paul's threat to poison the cycle.

Is Kaitan mentioned in Dune---I don't remember that at all in the book---or is this something that gets explained in later books?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was in the 3rd appendix in Dune.  Just a single entry.

SALUSA SECUNDUS: third planet of Gamma Waiping;
designated Imperial Prison Planet after removal of the Royal
Court to Kaitain. Salusa Secundus is homeworld of House
Corrino, and the second stopping point in migrations of the
Wandering Zensunni. Fremen tradition says they were slaves
on S.S. for nine generations.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#49]
The name Secundus implies that there is a Salusa Prime out there someplace.

Given what a mess Salusa Secundus was I bet Salusa Prime was a real nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I heard the Sand Worm riding part is amazing
View Quote

It is. Especially in IMAX.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top