BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Border Collies I think

I went looking for one because a girl friend wanted one.

Took me weeks and had to drive 4 hours to get the last one she had.
View Quote

Inbred Border Collies are very popular with the Amish around here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
AMERICA it is your solemn duty to put PUG on this list
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Make Checkers great again!

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Scottish terrier.

Used to see them often when I was a kid.

Can't remember the last time I saw one.
View Quote

We had one of those when I was a kid, had an Airedale and a Scotty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Our Catahoula came from Louisiana.  Apparently there was a "shipment" of dogs from Louisiana to the Tampa area.  We got one from the Tampa Humane Society.

And yea, when asked and I tell people he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog and get the WT Actual F?! look.  haha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Texas and Louisiana is full of Curs. Good hog dogs.

Our Catahoula came from Louisiana.  Apparently there was a "shipment" of dogs from Louisiana to the Tampa area.  We got one from the Tampa Humane Society.

And yea, when asked and I tell people he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog and get the WT Actual F?! look.  haha

I had a Catahoula. No one in AZ knew what he was, but they loved his "cracked" eyes.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
We have a Dogo de Argentina. Don’t see many of those around
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dobermans and Rottweilers don't seem to be as common anymore.
View Quote
That's a good thing!!

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Scottish terrier.

Used to see them often when I was a kid.

Can't remember the last time I saw one.
View Quote
My step mother-in-law just had to put hers down.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This post is brought to you by CoronaBoredom.

I really don't like Cocker Spaniels. They're living breathing mops that just look stupid. Stupid dumb little shits that require haircuts. Dogs shouldn't require haircuts.

Saw one today being walked by an older guy and got to thinking - everyone I know that has one is older. They do not seem to be popular with younger generations.

Is the breed dying out in popularity?

And what other breeds don't seem to be popular anymore that once were?

Shepherds, the american urban hyena, labs, and -doodle (lol you have a stupid dog name) variants seem to be going strong.

View Quote
Any breed of dog that has doodle in it is a mutt. Mostly good dogs but still a mutt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
On the inverse side, I've been shocked by the explosion in popularity of the Vizsla.

I grew up with them. I do not think they are good dogs for the vast majority of people who own them.
View Quote

Yes! My wife wants one bad. I'm like "have you read anything about them?" They look great, but I don't have that much time or energy.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
movies and tv will drive a breed popularity, once they remake the show the breed sees a new resurgence,

101 Dalmatians
Lady and the tramp
Rin Tin Tin
Beethoven
Call of the Wild
Lassie  
MTV Cribs
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The first dog that my wife and I got was a Cocker Spaniel. She was a good dog. As she got older unfortunately she had seizures and started to get incontinent. She lived to be 13 I think.

We got her when we were engaged. We named her Bristol after a restaurant that we ate at the night that we got her. Actually it was our favorite restaurant
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I cant remember the last time I saw a collie
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

A lot of families are looking for an amusing and affectionate couch potato dog to hang out with them. The pug is pretty much perfect for that job.

It's a much better choice than the families that get some flavor of working breed dog because it looks cool and then wonder why the dog is going crazy and destroying stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Racing greyhounds are becoming scarcer now that more tracks are closing. The last remaining Alabama track just closed this week.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/nearly-600-dogs-now-need-new-homes/32228836

There's an AKC greyhound but it's barely the same breed IMHO and doesn't have the same athleticism.

None of the adoption groups around here have had new hounds for a while. Good for the dogs I guess.
View Quote
I know someone who breeds AKC greyhounds. They are still around they do coursing and whatever other sight hound things that type of dog does. GD shits on the AKC all the time, not always without reason but just because a dog is an AKC show dog doesn't mean they aren't bred to do what they are supposed to.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Haven't seen Dalmatians in a while...
View Quote

Guilty, we had one as a kid. Backyard breeder and everything. Such a dumb move by my parents.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Any breed of dog that has doodle in it is a mutt. Mostly good dogs but still a mutt.
View Quote

Designer Dog Breeds

Some of them of really adorable like Pomskies but who pays $2k for a mutt ?!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had springer spaniels growing up and one cocker spaniel. The male springer spaniels were all mean, they attacked everyone in my family and my dad only got rid of them once they attacked him.

I don’t see too many springer spaniels out there although the Ohio governor just got one.

These seem popular, Labs, rottweilers, corgis, dachshunds, golden retrievers, German shepherds, huskys, pugs. Big dog breeds seem popular also. I hear “purse dogs” are popular out in California. Old mean ladies seem to always have smaller mean dogs.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Opie says hi!

He’s my second springer.  Both have been awesome, mellow dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We had a couple Airedale's when I was a kid, I haven't seen one in 35-40 years.
View Quote

Mm. Forgot about those.

We had one in the 90s. "It won't shed and the dog isn't afraid of anything" were the big points about it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
In defense of the Cocker Spaniel; mine was the best bird dog I ever saw.  He'd point, flush and retrieve upland game birds all day, every day when he was young.  Unfortunately, his hunting days are long past him.  In his old age, he watches over my son and plays with him as much as he can.  Sure, he needs to be groomed once every six weeks, but he's the smartest, bravest little dog I ever met.  My remaining time with him is pretty short, and it breaks my heart knowing that.  

His name is Guinness.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a female black mouth cur. Nobody knows what she is and seem perplexed by her. Dog places don't even have her breed in the system. I've met one other person with a  black mouth cur in the 4 years I have owned her.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335547/EC31B3E6-6BBD-41C9-A993-250A437F4D36-1204984.jpg
View Quote

I have a black mouth cur, and our State Police has one as a cadaver dog (finds dead people).

Mine is an idiot, but she's very athletic for a hound type dog.

I had a Doberman. She was a fantastic dog. Bit Sylvan on the ass when he came over to my house. The only time she ever nipped at anyone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I know two 30 year olds with cocker spaniels.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I cant remember the last time I saw a collie
View Quote

We have a neighbor a few streets over with a purebred collie, and she walks it at least five times a day. No leash, perfect heeling and/or sometimes the dog walks about 10 feet in front of her. Very well behaved.

Actually I think we have a few collies around here.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In defense of the Cocker Spaniel; mine was the best bird dog I ever saw.  He'd point, flush and retrieve upland game birds all day, every day when he was young.  Unfortunately, his hunting days are long past him.  In his old age, he watches over my son and plays with him as much as he can.  Sure, he needs to be groomed once every six weeks, but he's the smartest, bravest little dog I ever met.  My remaining time with him is pretty short, and it breaks my heart knowing that.  

His name is Guinness.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51455/20190603_190115-1381007.jpg
View Quote

If I can make a suggestion, find another pup now.  He won't replace your Guinness, but it will make the transition much easier (not easy though) when your old fella's time comes.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Many of the smaller terrier breeds. Not that they were ever super popular, but they are seriously in jeopardy of completely disappearing these days.

Breeds like Skye Terriers, Dandie Dinmont Terriers, Glen of Imaal Terriers, Sealyham Terriers, Australian Terriers, Cesky Terriers, and Lakeland Terriers. Otterhounds, Löwchen, Sussex Spaniels, and Scottish Deerhounds are also in jeopardy. So many amazing dog breeds out there that are virtually disappearing, but everyone wants a doodle mongrel of some variety or another.

Of those that used to be popular and are now in decline, Dobermans, Irish Setters, Dalmatians, Collies, and Cockers come to mind. And most of those breeders are fine with their decreasing popularity, as long as it doesn’t dip too low.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A lot of families are looking for an amusing and affectionate couch potato dog to hang out with them. The pug is pretty much perfect for that job.

It's a much better choice than the families that get some flavor of working breed dog because it looks cool and then wonder why the dog is going crazy and destroying stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every one I've ever been around has been a cool little dog. I'd definitely consider one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a female Scottish Terrier. Most protective dog I’ve ever had and smart. Don’t see many around these days. Dog ripped my front door up trying to go after the UPS man. Bent the metal over the side lights and ripped most of the molding off.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dobermans and Rottweilers don't seem to be as common anymore.
View Quote

Was coming to post this. Growing up my neighbor had two Dobermans. Beautiful dogs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Off topic, but the English Pointer and English Setter are circling the drain (in numbers of registered litters) in England.

While people still grouse hunt on the moors, 100 years ago there was a mix of hunting in solo or in small groups behind pointing dogs. Now it’s mostly done from pit or butt blinds, with the birds driven to you by beaters, labs, and spaniels.

The continental versatiles (Vizla and German Shorthair) are wildly more popular in England than their own pointer and Setter.

More English Setter litters are registered in Italy than in England each year.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How dare you OP.
They are very hard to find.
This is Mae she is our newest. We lost our original last year. they have been absolutely amazing dogs with our kids. We chose the breed specifically because they are good with kids.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157203/EF90B01A-BF91-4175-93CD-D468B0D397D3-1380951.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157203/692BBBD5-CCF7-4408-A163-F423ACC66C2C-1380950.jpg
View Quote

We had one for 14 years. He was my Buddy. Took him just about everywhere. I loved that dog.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I’m actually surprised by the lack of full size poodles.  They are great, smart dogs for the most part.  I think ppl believe you are required to get the stupid poodle cut all the time though.

Rotties are definitely in the downturn, but also good dogs if trained properly.

I agree with the cocker spaniel.  Worthless dogs.

I dont see many beagles around here either.  Used to be quite a few when I grew up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see many full size purebred poodles. Thankfully.

I’m actually surprised by the lack of full size poodles.  They are great, smart dogs for the most part.  I think ppl believe you are required to get the stupid poodle cut all the time though.

Rotties are definitely in the downturn, but also good dogs if trained properly.

I agree with the cocker spaniel.  Worthless dogs.

I dont see many beagles around here either.  Used to be quite a few when I grew up.
My  brothers full size poodle was the best retriever for ducks and geese I ever saw. Better than any Labrador or any like kind retrievers.  My brother left his dogs hair long so I didn't look like a fag.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#34]
One of my favorite breeds used to be really popular with the upper classes back in the teens and twenties: the Borzoi. Never see them much anymore.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Elbows too pointy, needs a cheeseburger! ;)
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Many of the smaller terrier breeds. Not that they were ever super popular, but they are seriously in jeopardy of completely disappearing these days.

Breeds like Skye Terriers, Dandie Dinmont Terriers, Glen of Imaal Terriers, Sealyham Terriers, Australian Terriers, Cesky Terriers, and Lakeland Terriers. Otterhounds, Löwchen, Sussex Spaniels, and Scottish Deerhounds are also in jeopardy. So many amazing dog breeds out there that are virtually disappearing, but everyone wants a doodle mongrel of some variety or another.

Of those that used to be popular and are now in decline, Dobermans, Irish Setters, Dalmatians, Collies, and Cockers come to mind. And most of those breeders are fine with their decreasing popularity, as long as it doesn’t dip too low.
View Quote

Growing up my family had wire fox terriers, aunt, uncles, grandparents, etc.

I have one that is 14 years old and going downhill. I haven’t seen one outside our family in about 7-10 years.

It is a full time job to keep a male from doing whatever they want so I understand the decline.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Every one I've ever been around has been a cool little dog. I'd definitely consider one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.

I don't have a huge sample size, but I've liked every one I've known.

I'm a sucker for a sad rescue story, but I'd consider a pug or pug mix if I found myself looking for another dog.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:33:51 PM EDT
[#38]
We have a standard schnauzer with a wire coat. He has fur like a goat.

I occasionally see other standard schnauzers, but I often see standards which are really just abnormally bred larger minis (which after owning the giant, standard, and mini I can tell you are very different dogs entirely)
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I swear, every dog I see that's being given away for free or that's at a shelter is some sort of a pit bull mongrel mutt.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Heinz 57

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

His name is Guinness.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/51455/20190603_190115-1381007.jpg
View Quote

Black Cockers are best Cockers.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with a full sized poodle.

the little ones can fuck off though.
View Quote

That is correct.  The big ones are smart, and make a good guard dog.  (Not an ATTACK dog, a dog to alert you to abnormal things.)

People assume the big ones are just larger versions of the pain-in-the-ass dustmop toy poodles.  They could not be more wrong.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
We have a Dogo de Argentina. Don’t see many of those around
View Quote

I had a friend who had one.
What a piece of shit that dog was.
He has a lot of property and he invested a lot of time with that dog.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes! My wife wants one bad. I'm like "have you read anything about them?" They look great, but I don't have that much time or energy.
View Quote
Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback then.  She gets the aesthetics you get a couch potato who thinks you're a butt warmer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I swear, every dog I see that's being given away for free or that's at a shelter is some sort of a pit bull mongrel mutt.
View Quote

I think the breeds categorized as pits are legitimately the most common large breed dogs in America, and it's not even close. They're everywhere.

They just don't rank with the AKC or whatever because almost none of them are papered.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

My MIL used that term deadpan on her two dogs (sisters from the same litter) and I really thought that was an official breed for a few minutes. I felt too stupid to ask if she was serious as I'd never heard the term prior.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
There's a lotta heeler in there for 57...
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Looks like a cattle dog
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think the breeds categorized as pits are legitimately the most common large breed dogs in America, and it's not even close. They're everywhere.

They just don't rank with the AKC or whatever because almost none of them are papered.
View Quote
The three weekends I volunteered at the ARL and every single subsequent visit I have made, 80% of the dogs available are Pits. It may be a bit of confirmation bias, as people with them don't want them or whatever, but you'd think every third dog in this country was a pit at this point.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Border Collies I think

I went looking for one because a girl friend wanted one.

Took me weeks and had to drive 4 hours to get the last one she had.
View Quote

My last pup was a bc … she made it 14 years and I will never own another dog only because she was so smart and it would not be fair for the next one  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top