Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Utah Department of Environmental Quality has proposed a ban on wood burning between November 1 and March 15 for several counties around Salt Lake City

Sure that makes sense.
View Quote

Exactly, burn all you want in July.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pre-ban stoves...building a wood/pellet burning stove isn't rocket science
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]

my city put out a reminder on facebook a few weeks back about their woodburning ban on Tuesdays?
my reply got me banned.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
fuck em

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Jotul? I've got two. Awesome stoves.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Last time I checked Kitchen wood ranges were exempt     Clarion and Atlantic brands easiest to get parts for, the casting patterns are still around (Bryant Stove Works)

New ones on E-bay.

Warner made a great heater, till early 80's

If you want to make one, Warner is a good pattern.   CORTEN (sp?) Steel 3/8" will a lifetime stove make, with firebrick down sides and end.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Jotul? I've got two. Awesome stoves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

yup. f400 . i love it
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BBQ's will be next.
View Quote

Why do you think the EPA is armed.....

Meet my BBQ

Meet my BBQ Gun

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That stove looks like it has secondary combustion baffles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That stove looks like it has secondary combustion baffles.

it does, once i get the air shut down it burns the gasses only. pretty cool looking

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not my pic but this is the insert that I had installed in December, a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5:

http://www.e-teplo.cz/__images/upload/products/max/pe_neo_ins_25_1.jpg

View Quote

How well does something like this work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I really do think that the progressives desperately want to FORCE rural people to live in the cities by making their lives impossible.  This, EPA water rules, etc.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really do think that the progressives desperately want to FORCE rural people to live in the cities by making their lives impossible.  This, EPA water rules, etc.
View Quote

They can't control rural people in the same way they can control city dwellers- there is simply too much territory and too few Enforcement Resources. So yes, they absolutely want to force people into urban areas.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

pretty much this,  they will have one hell of a time trying to ban wood burners.  I have a pot belly I need to put online just because.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck the EPA.  

pretty much this,  they will have one hell of a time trying to ban wood burners.  I have a pot belly I need to put online just because.

They gonna ban campfires too?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not my pic but this is the insert that I had installed in December, a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5:

inserts aren't as good as a free standing stove, but 10 times better than a fireplace. if space is a problem the insert is great
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I've got a preban Lopi sitting unused out in my pole barn.  Who wants it? Cheap, shipping not included.

I replaced it with an EPA approved Vogelzang wood stove the last year I could get a government tax credit back on my taxes.  Burns clean so that the only thing coming out of my chimney is steam that dissipates within a foot or two.  Can't even smell it when it burns and I am outside.  Once I get it fired up and going it keeps my house warm for an entire day.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got a preban Lopi sitting unused out in my pole barn.  Who wants it? Cheap, shipping not included.

I replaced it with an EPA approved Vogelzang wood stove the last year I could get a government tax credit back on my taxes.  Burns clean so that the only thing coming out of my chimney is steam that dissipates within a foot or two.  Can't even smell it when it burns and I am outside.  Once I get it fired up and going it keeps my house warm for an entire day.
View Quote

i will never own a non epa stove. they burn clean and they burn long.

mostly they use much less wood then an old fire breathing dragon
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

inserts aren't as good as a free standing stove, but 10 times better than a fireplace. if space is a problem the insert is great
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually they are a "solution" for a fireplace. Fireplaces flat suck for heating but if you have one there aren't a lot of options to make it better- almost nobody tears out a huge brick fireplace and the whole chimney....the best/cheapest solution is an insert.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
my city put out a reminder on facebook a few weeks back about their woodburning ban on Tuesdays?
my reply got me banned.
View Quote

In your city is the outside temperature relatively high on Tuesdays so that using wood for heat is not needed?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Usually they are a "solution" for a fireplace. Fireplaces flat suck for heating but if you have one there aren't a lot of options to make it better- almost nobody tears out a huge brick fireplace and the whole chimney....the best/cheapest solution is an insert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well you can put a freestanding stove in front of a fireplace and use the existing chimney. a bit more work, but a better heating option then an insert
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Half the homes in my AO are heated with wood. There's no list with exact numbers, but I see the chimneys, outside stoves and wood piles as I drive around. Many of them nice homes, not shacks out in the woods.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's what I mean by secondary combustion.  The smoke burning actually produces more heat than the wood burning.  When it starts, the difference in temperature of the air coming out is noticeable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm against government mandates like this.  However, when I get the secondary combustion going on my new Pacific Energy insert, it burns hotter and slower than the old Buck Stove that it replaced.  In other words, the emissions reduction technology actually does make it heat better and wood lasts longer.

But it should be a choice, not a requirement.

My wood burning insert, once it reaches the proper temperature, burns incredibly clean. The smoke actually burns. No visible smoke comes out the chimney.

My pellet stove, however, does whatever it does.

That's what I mean by secondary combustion.  The smoke burning actually produces more heat than the wood burning.  When it starts, the difference in temperature of the air coming out is noticeable.

Right on!  You can actually get more heat with the newer design AND burn other woods safely that would otherwise lead to creosote and chimney fires.  Insurance has a reason to be glad about this.  I'm ok with the new stove mandates...I am not ok with restricting people from using firewood.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I won't take it for free, but I need/want one bad.  I have to strike while the iron's hot so to speak, as my wife FINALLY wants one in our house.  I have a Lopi at the cabin and LOVE the thing.  I will drive to you to get it.  Dead serious!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't take it for free, but I need/want one bad.  I have to strike while the iron's hot so to speak, as my wife FINALLY wants one in our house.  I have a Lopi at the cabin and LOVE the thing.  I will drive to you to get it.  Dead serious!  

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#30]
LOLOL

Wood is the most common heat source for most of the poor people up here in northern appalachia. Congrats democrats.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I've got no access to natural gas.... I have propane backup forced air, but my main source of heat is wood pellets.....probably more efficient than a wood burner, but this is doing nothing but driving the prices up for any alternative fuel....fuck...

My pellet boiler (also have a Harman Accentra insert)

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuggem.  Aint even that cold today but I'll toss another tire in the preban stove in their honor.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Meh.  They're not ideal but I wouldn't say they flat suck.  I use my insert to replace my gas forced air heat when my wife and/or I are home to reduce costs and it works really well.  My FIL uses wood a wood insert exclusively for his house (2200ish square feet) and it works extremely well.  He's got a 40x40 corrugated steel barn filled with seasoned wood though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh.  They're not ideal but I wouldn't say they flat suck.  I use my insert to replace my gas forced air heat when my wife and/or I are home to reduce costs and it works really well.  My FIL uses wood a wood insert exclusively for his house (2200ish square feet) and it works extremely well.  He's got a 40x40 corrugated steel barn filled with seasoned wood though.

i would have put one in if we had a chimney/ fireplace in our house, but we didn't so we went the freestanding route.

funny, this started out as a bash the epa thread and now has ended up as a " i love my epa stove " thread
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#37]
meh, i had to scrap the T&E on this one, come to find out politicians blow more hot air than all the wood burning stoves in America.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Even in good 'ol California on Spare-The-Air-Days (inversion layer traps smoke) BBQ's are exempt from wood burning bans, as they are for cooking food. I think it's because some businesses use wood to cook (wood fired pizza places for example).

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#39]
TIme to stock up on pre-ban stoves
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
May all EPA officials die in an accidental SMOKEY AND FIERY death.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

well you can put a freestanding stove in front of a fireplace and use the existing chimney. a bit more work, but a better heating option then an insert
View Quote

And generally with the large "fireplace hole" behind them they look like shit....just a personal observation. Frequently too you have to build a new "pedestal" to put the stove on- which almost NEVER matches the original brick work....It just looks cobbled. The insert is a clean installation, the other way to do it? Tear that shit all out and put in a chimney for freestanding stove- but that's a hell of a lot of work and expense.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#44]
My evil EPA clean burning wood stove.  Burns little wood, once I get the basement heated up, I fill it with oak and it will keep the house warm for a full 12 hours before I have to go fill it with more oak.  I didn't cut enough wood for this winter as I had too much going on, but I was without power for 4 days over Christmas so I had to fire it up and heat until the got my electric back on after a tree took out the pole and lines running to my house.

Chimney sweep asked me this year if I burned any wood the winter before, after running his brush down the chimney he said there was nothing to clean.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And generally with the large "fireplace hole" behind them they look like shit....just a personal observation. Frequently too you have to build a new "pedestal" to put the stove on- which almost NEVER matches the original brick work....It just looks cobbled. The insert is a clean installation, the other way to do it? Tear that shit all out and put in a chimney for freestanding stove- but that's a hell of a lot of work and expense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

its not all that bad

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its not all that bad

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c6/a1/c3/c6a1c316a6c1e5c2fc2f21c46f26eee5.jpg

That looks great!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That looks great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its not all that bad

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/c6/a1/c3/c6a1c316a6c1e5c2fc2f21c46f26eee5.jpg

That looks great!

Probably the best example I've seen, very nice, but generally not representative of how it's done. Most that I have seen are further out from the original fireplace and just leave a giant hole behind them, the "pedestal" looks tacked on etc....that one is admittedly pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My insert is over 85% efficient.  The chimney cap is barely warm when operating to the point it drips condensed water from the fire.  The expanded metal rusted out in two years because it runs so cool.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#49]
My fireplace also has a nook on the left fora small stove.  Only problem is the size.  The chimney is all masonry to the crown, 2 feet wide and 10 feet long.  So I could install another flue and have two wood heat sources.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I got a Lopi Republic 1250 7 years ago and love it. Scored it on sale from a local place because they used it once for 3 days as a demo at a fair.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top