BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adding to the acid part..
Vinegar based hot sauce is a great acid for flavor and keeps forever.
View Quote

Indeed. Frank's Red Hot is my favorite non-complex hot sauce -- it's vinegar, cayanne, garlic, salt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I cannot stand rice.  Three different kinds of beans and corn meal is my prep in it's place.
View Quote

There's lots of different rice. Tried basmatti? Wild? Sushi short grain sticky rice?

Other grains like oats, barley, peas, black eye peas (actually beans) millet, amaranth, spelt.

Variety is pretty valuable for not only taste, but nutrition.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes...  And other stuff.  Rice will make you feel full and keep you from starving.  Ignore the Normalcy bias that comes from people that refuse to see what's right in front of them.  Those same people will be screaming for you to give up what you have so they can have something to eat when things get bad.
View Quote

THIS TOO.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Just jackoff prepper fantasy shit.

View Quote

I honestly hope you're 100% spot on and I just continue to rotate through my larder and the only benefit I see out of it is buying only what is on sale for the next 30 to 40 years.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
View Quote

Maybe I am wrong but didnt we have food issues during the dust bowl?

Seems like its lining up to repeat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Normalcy bias is a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
During Irelands 'potato famine' people were starving while the country was exporting food.  Yes, really

The poor could not afford to buy.  Those who produced could not afford to sell except to those paying higher prices or they too would have problems.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The basics of cooking flavors: Salt, Acid, Sweet, Savory

This really should be taught to everyone as a basic principle of food, instead of just "Oh Mom ads X and Y so I will too", as it's biological science and easy to explain.

Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion to any carb (rice/beans are the carb here) or vegetable as a base seasoning.
Acid can come from vinegar, citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc.
Spicy and more herbs/seeds added in also depending on style, as well as animal protein flavors (meat, broth, bullion) and oils (olive, avocado, canola, butter) for texture/flavor/nutrition.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.

The basics of cooking flavors: Salt, Acid, Sweet, Savory

This really should be taught to everyone as a basic principle of food, instead of just "Oh Mom ads X and Y so I will too", as it's biological science and easy to explain.

Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Onion to any carb (rice/beans are the carb here) or vegetable as a base seasoning.
Acid can come from vinegar, citrus fruits, tomatoes, etc.
Spicy and more herbs/seeds added in also depending on style, as well as animal protein flavors (meat, broth, bullion) and oils (olive, avocado, canola, butter) for texture/flavor/nutrition.

Should be taught in school. So thankful I learned at the apronstrings of my Appalachian grandma.

Cooking, preserving, managing food is a basic life skill.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It balances out the vitamins and minerals otherwise missing from beans and rice
View Quote

That's fair. And canned tomatoes will certainly keep a long time.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I seem to recall a little thing called the great depression.

Might want to read up a bit on that. Not that many died of starvation, but of diseases associated with malnutrition.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Laughs in grandparents that lived through the Grest Depression...

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
All of us should be taking this seriously!

Look at it this way! Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Increased price to grow the food
Increased price to ship the food
Increase in wages for those involved

Guaranteed that food will be going up in price.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
2021 February Texas winter storm; coldest weather in years, lots of notice, lots of time to get basic preps even if you had nothing at all. Yet all these people stood out in the cold ON THE SECOND DAY.

Facebook and nextdoor posts in my hood were pitiful. It's amazing how unprepared so many folks are.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure.

Am I a paranoid doomer or nah?  This will affect my answer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canned tomato is a good source of vitamin C.

While I'm at it, it is VERY easy to have a small herb garden in a planter box in a partly sunny area. Many herbs grow like weeds. Rosemary, sage, mint, Thai basil, cilantro. So beneficial, especially when using bland staples
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All of us should be taking this seriously!

Look at it this way! Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Increased price to grow the food
Increased price to ship the food
Increase in wages for those involved

Guaranteed that food will be going up in price.
View Quote

Much more important to have thousands in guns and ammo than a few hundred in food that you absolutely will use, if you're doing it correctly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I am just starting to up my cannibalism game.  I must admit I was a little squeamish at first.  But I think I'm getting the hang of it now.  Lets face it, the people will be easy pickins.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Also a recommendation for the 'Hawkins' brand of pressure cooker; makes cooking beans etc super fast. Get a spare o-ring. Good alternative to a slow cooker that works great also.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

While I'm at it, it is VERY easy to have a small herb garden in a planter box in a partly sunny area. Many herbs grow like weeds. Rosemary, sage, mint, Thai basil, cilantro. So beneficial, especially when using bland staples
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id also recommend the tubes of tomato paste.. concentrated flavor and whatnot.  Last a long time too.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You should really be stacking more of what you normally eat it’s ok to supplement some of that with beans and rice but don’t expect that to be your only plan
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Also a recommendation for the 'Hawkins' brand of pressure cooker; makes cooking beans etc super fast. Get a spare o-ring. Good alternative to a slow cooker that works great also.
View Quote

Yep. Fast=less fuel.

There are several techniques that conserve fuel. Pre soak. Bringing to a boil and then wrapping the pot in insulation. Cooking in a hole in the ground. Solar oven. Cold soak is a common technique used by backpackers to negate fuel use.

Eta, The All American pressure canner uses a taper fit, so no O ring. Expensive, new. But you can catch them at fleamarkets.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Much more important to have thousands in guns and ammo than a few hundred in food that you absolutely will use, if you're doing it correctly.
View Quote

Even better to have hundreds in guns but thousands in cans & nods & thermal
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
2021 February Texas winter storm; coldest weather in years, lots of notice, lots of time to get basic preps even if you had nothing at all. Yet all these people stood out in the cold ON THE SECOND DAY.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/02/21/us/21heb-3/merlin_183847482_eaa04a03-9c9e-45a0-830f-f6206453b8d8-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Facebook and nextdoor posts in my hood were pitiful. It's amazing how unprepared so many folks are.
View Quote

Yep, people were calling 911 because Doordash was not delivering.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
During Irelands 'potato famine' people were starving while the country was exporting food.  Yes, really

The poor could not afford to buy.  Those who produced could not afford to sell except to those paying higher prices or they too would have problems.
View Quote

The Irish were not allowed to hold office in their own country.

A lot of things happened during the potato famine that's all but forgotten.

"The worst year of the period was 1847, known as "Black '47". During the Great Hunger, about 1 million people died and more than a million fled the country, causing the country's population to fall by 20 25%, in some towns falling as much as 67% between 1841 and 1871. Between 1845 and 1855, no fewer than 2.1 million people left Ireland, primarily on packet ships but also steamboats and barque one of the greatest exoduses from a single island in history."

"Catholics, the majority of whom lived in conditions of poverty and insecurity, made up 80% of the population. At the top of the "social pyramid" was the "ascendancy class", the English and Anglo-Irish families who owned most of the land and held more or less unchecked power over their tenants. Some of their estates were vast; for example, the Earl of Lucan owned more than 60,000 acres (240 km2). Many of these absentee landlords lived in England. The rent revenue collected from "impoverished tenants" who were paid minimal wages to raise crops and livestock for export was mostly sent to England."

"It would be impossible adequately to describe the privations which they [the Irish labourer and his family] habitually and silently endure ... in many districts their only food is the potato, their only beverage water ... their cabins are seldom a protection against the weather ... a bed or a blanket is a rare luxury ... and nearly in all their pig and a manure heap constitute their only property."

People generally die of disease caused by weakness and poor nutrition before they get a chance to starve.

"However, the greatest mortality was not from nutritional deficiency diseases, but from famine-induced ailments. The malnourished are very vulnerable to infections; therefore, these were more severe when they occurred. Measles, diphtheria, diarrhoea, tuberculosis, most respiratory infections, whooping cough, many intestinal parasites, and cholera were all strongly conditioned by nutritional status. Potentially lethal diseases, such as smallpox and influenza, were so virulent that their spread was independent of nutrition. The best example of this phenomenon was fever, which exacted the greatest death toll. In the popular mind, as well as medical opinion, fever and famine were closely related. Social dislocation the congregation of the hungry at soup kitchens, food depots, and overcrowded work houses created conditions that were ideal for spreading infectious diseases such as typhus, typhoid, and relapsing fever.

Diarrhoeal diseases were the result of poor hygiene, bad sanitation, and dietary changes. The concluding attack on a population incapacitated by famine was delivered by Asiatic cholera, which had visited Ireland briefly in the 1830s. In the following decade, it spread uncontrollably across Asia, through Europe, and into Britain, finally reaching Ireland in 1849. Some scholars estimate that the population of Ireland was reduced by 20 25%."
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even better to have hundreds in guns but thousands in cans & nods & thermal
View Quote

I'm working on it.

I think vehicles and all that goes with deserve more attention. Looking real hard at a nice 78 cj7 right now. I'm talking myself into needing it as a post apocalyptic ride.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Crockpotting that is pretty easy.
View Quote

Yes it easy unless the power grid fails  then you need how to cook them
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I encourage folks to learns some 18th century cooking techniques and corresponding recipes to suit. Its a fun and tasty hobby. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.

Yes they did.  

Currently about 0.9 in 100k people die of starvation (malnutrition).  The confuse the numbers with food insecurity in a lot of places because the number is so small.

But people currently do and will continue to die of starvation. While you don't have to buy extra for the impending storm that my never be.

It's silly to assume that people won't starve to death in mass if many of the food shortage predictions come to pass.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes they did.  

Currently about 0.9 in 100k people die of starvation (malnutrition).  The confuse the numbers with food insecurity in a lot of places because the number is so small.

But people currently do and will continue to die of starvation. While you don't have to buy extra for the impending storm that my never be.

It's silly to assume that people won't starve to death in mass if many of the food shortage predictions come to pass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you dumb ignorant or did you just flunk out of school and not pay attention?

Have you ever heard of the Great Depression?

Yes they did.  

People were much more self sufficient in that era, if a true famine were to hit now I would expect more as a percentage to be adversely affected because society has become so soft and reliant on others in this modern era.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?
View Quote

Rice and bean forts are for the poors.  Get a ribeye steak fort.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Don't know how many times I've seen this picture, but today was when I first noticed she's holding a baby/small child.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I encourage folks to learns some 18th century cooking techniques and corresponding recipes to suit. Its a fun and tasty hobby. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Step 1: Build a proper cooking hearth

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Having insurance policies provides a safety net. We have them for our home, cars, lives, and other assorted valuables...why not have a small food insurance policy?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I felt like an idiot for a few minutes yesterday after ordering $1,500.00 worth of shelf stable food, Augesan Farms 1 week and 72 hour kits, TP, laundry detergent, dish soap, bleach, and various other items that went bye-bye during the scamdemic.  I don't want to feel like I have to go stand in the Gov line for my cheese.

Next year at this time I will have a HUGE garden with automatic watering.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#36]
I just picked up the last load of "stuff" from my brother, including storage food because I'm a "prepper". Moved to western Montana last summer. 2500 mile round trip hauling a trailer. About $900 in gas for that trip. Ouch.

A while back, red or white wheat berries were $9/50LB with $5 shipping. Now a 25lb bag of wheat is $50-60. 50LB bags are running around $80-90. Even with these prices, there's lots of out of stock notices and whatnot. I'm expecting wheat bought in 50LB increments to be over $100, perhaps approaching $125 or even $150 this fall. I may or may not have brought several hundred pounds of wheat back...

Hell, just the garden tiller I picked up from him would have been $800 to replace in this messed up economy, almost paying for the gas for my trip, for a reliable machine I've cared for over the years. (I paid $350 new several years ago. 16" Earthquake CRT tiller).
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ive been subtly slipping fattening foods to my neighbors in the disguise as gifts to plump them up a bit
View Quote

Long Pig is best pig......

All kidding aside, rice and beans are "staple" foods.... I've spent months in Ecuador and Colombia with friends who have massive stockpiles of rice/beans ..... It's cooked every day, but always accompanied with some sort of meat/vegetable/cheese

2nd week of eating nothing but rice and beans, you'll be cutting farts that will set off fire alarms
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Rice is poor substitute for food. Beans are good in moderation. Keto-ish. Meat and fresh veggies are where it's at!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, people did starve. Also, empires only need to crash once. They don't need to have multiple famines first.

I've noticed all the food factories being shut down/burning, the mass cows dying, gates buying up all the farmland should talking about lab grown breast milk and eating bugs, massive wheat shortages, and petroleum sky rocketing. Ww3 is on the horizon, who knows what else is on the horizon.

I've seen a ton of warning on the issue, but can't tell if that's just because I'm caught in some YouTube/website algorithm, or if legit problem is coming.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I just had to have this discussion with my wife again. She's got a mental block with keeping stocks of food around the house.

I keep a full pantry, rotating through the stuff we use, but always keeping the shelves full. I have a cabinet that is nothing but spices and seasoning (and I'm always trying new hot sauces), Stocked, standup commercial grade freezer, and extra refrigerator in addition to what's in the kitchen, and no rice and bean fort (though I do probably have 20 lbs of each).

My wife understands everything else, from firewood, to backup power, to guns, ammo, and NODs, but for some reason having soli food stocks around the house just sets her off.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:35:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Everyone I knew that lived through the depression could garden or farm and probably did.

Lots of folks today wouldn’t even if they could.

Completely dependent on the labor of others and supply chain.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#42]
A good reason to have some food on hand is to avoid HAVING to go to the government food lines when it may be dangerous/unsafe to do so. Also why having a little gas on hand is helpful. You don't have to go extreme

Also, the past history of the US is not a good indicator. We are much more reliant on a global system than in the past and should a near peer conflict arise could suffer both with embargo and even direct military strikes on our homeland that simply were not possible in past conflicts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How do you add flavor to rice and beans? Eaten them when I had to but they don’t taste all that great.
View Quote

Chiles, man.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just had to have this discussion with my wife again. She's got a mental block with keeping stocks of food around the house.

I keep a full pantry, rotating through the stuff we use, but always keeping the shelves full. I have a cabinet that is nothing but spices and seasoning (and I'm always trying new hot sauces), Stocked, standup commercial grade freezer, and extra refrigerator in addition to what's in the kitchen, and no rice and bean fort (though I do probably have 20 lbs of each).

My wife understands everything else, from firewood, to backup power, to guns, ammo, and NODs, but for some reason having soli food stocks around the house just sets her off.
View Quote

Mine is sort of the opposite, lol. I think she's somewhat ok with food because we've got kids now, but it's still a struggle to convince her we need more than just a 5# bag of rice and a couple cans of tuna. Every little bit helps, but I think the bulk of it should be rice/beans with everything else added later as plusses.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:45:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fact.

We were without power for 9 days in that big wind storm of about 2009.

Night one: Built keyhole fire hearth in the back yard. Boiled canning pot of water. Everyone had hot bath.

Day two: Stacked fire wood near the "New kitchen". Set up tripod and grate/grill. Set up solar panels for head light batteries.  

Day 3: Hmm. This may last a while. I didn't have a generator. Never needed one but did have a freezer, so probably should have had one. Pulled all the beef out of the freezer and thawed it to jerk. Started cooking the thawing chickens on a spit and invited neighbors to come eat. Got all the beef sliced and on racks near the fire smoke. Neighbors thought I was Daniel Boone incarnate.

Day 4 on: Thoroughly enjoyed our trip to 18th century living with addition of a couple modern conveniences like headlights. Even stayed away from phones and puters since data wasn't as cheap, then.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?
View Quote

Know your enemy.

Leftists always use food as a weapon.  It doesn’t kill as fast as water meaning there is more suffering to force people to surrender.  

We have been swimming in a 5th generation War for years.  Ammo and bandages are only two aspects of the logistics you need to fight for your freedoms.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
I like rice and beans but I just dont eat that much of either.

Growing up on the gulf coast and working occasionally in Rice dryers we ate the shit out of rice, and I love it, but it just is not that good for me especially when you add gravy and I do add gravy.

Beans are great to but when you add Ham hocks, bacon, salt pork, or sausage it really is not something you eat weekly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Cost of 1 PSA rifle will set a family up with a good cushion.

I'll leave it at that because  GD gonna GD when it comes to prep threads.....as I can see by page one.

I don't wanna see my wife or kid suffer..
And if it's buy 12$ a gallon gas to get to work or buy 12$ 2 for 1 green beans
What ya gonna do.

Eat that rice fort...buy gas, make money a survive...

As spices. We grow our own herbs, hot chili's etc.
Salt is or was cheap...and dried spices last a while.

Tony Cs can be purchased in 5 gallon buckets iirc

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Know your enemy.

Leftists always use food as a weapon.  It doesn't kill as fast as water meaning there is more suffering to force people to surrender.  

We have been swimming in a 5th generation War for years.  Ammo and bandages are only two aspects of the logistics you need to fight for your freedoms.
View Quote

What'd Hillary blurt out in a town hall years ago on her 1st run...

Control the food you control the people.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

You have a 100,000 chances of taking the other guys food?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top