Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To all of you that say don't buy anything from China, here is an example of the problems we face. Today I realized that I need to buy some good C clamps because the ones that I was using were cheap junk (they are old, off brand, and I have no idea where they were made). Well I started shopping online and found some that looked quality and had good reviews (I won't mention the brand because it doesn't matter) for about $25 each. Of course they were made in China. I then searched for a made in USA C clamp, and found one brand that still manufacture them in the USA.  Guess what the price was? $117.00 each. I told my son "either we pay the Chinese communists, or we go bankrupt." So which one would you buy? Which one will most people choose? Do you see the problem?
View Quote

Buy used. Money stays here and demand lowers
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This type of disruption will serve a needed service. I will get roasted for this, but it is like a forest fire. Thins things out a bit. The weak and sickly will get eaten, while the strong in the herd will live to fight another day. In the Dow 33,000 economy, anybody and everybody was doing gangbusters.

Are you a shitty A/C tech? No problem, buy a van and make a mint! Don't like your job at the factory? Fuck it, I'll start a pool cleaning service!

In the mean time, legitimate hard working folks with a strong work ethic can't succeed because every Tom, Dick and Fuckstick is out there undercutting their prices, ripping people off, and generally fucking up the system.

This will clean out the chaff and the strong will find a way to survive.

Meh, I'm probably wrong. What the fuck do I know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To all of you that say don't buy anything from China, here is an example of the problems we face. Today I realized that I need to buy some good C clamps because the ones that I was using were cheap junk (they are old, off brand, and I have no idea where they were made). Well I started shopping online and found some that looked quality and had good reviews (I won't mention the brand because it doesn't matter) for about $25 each. Of course they were made in China. I then searched for a made in USA C clamp, and found one brand that still manufacture them in the USA.  Guess what the price was? $117.00 each. I told my son "either we pay the Chinese communists, or we go bankrupt." So which one would you buy? Which one will most people choose? Do you see the problem?

Not a bad idea, when you don't need something right away, and can afford the time to hunt for a used item, but that doesn't really solve the overall problem.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have to get back to work..
View Quote

So go.

Seriously.

Organize 10,000 people to go re-open businesses and get this moving.  What will the authorities do about it?  What about the following week when its 100,000 back to work?  

Don't rely on the government and its timetable to get this done.  Do it yourself.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

People are not running out of money.

Everyday I break the sales record set the previous day.

When this started every day’s sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

In a store that should sell $700,000 of product a week, I sell $300,000+ a day and a remarkable percentage of those sales are cash.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?

Sell to whom?

People are running out of money. Get to no money and there is no buying food.

Donate it?  Have you ever tried giving restaurant and commercial packaged kitchen food to a charity?  I had the Salvation Army and an evangelical soup kitchen turn down perfectly good food because it wasn't coming from a commercial grocer.

Sell it to retail grocers like Wegman's or Publix? Not from a non commercial source where they can be certain it was stored properly.

Each passing day I am happier that I have enough land to grow my own food. It we hit 25% unemployed we'll see a return to Great Depression and wandering bands of the homeless and malnourished,

When this started every day’s sales numbers were like Black Friday, now they are double Black Friday and still going up.

In a store that should sell $700,000 of product a week, I sell $300,000+ a day and a remarkable percentage of those sales are cash.

What are you selling?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What are you selling?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paying employees? Chump shit. How about a million+ bux in inventory that has been thrown out the past few weeks for expiring in her warehouses.

Why havent they been selling that instead of throwing it out? Are normal kitchens not good enough to cook it?

Sell to whom?

Donate it?  Have you ever tried giving restaurant and commercial packaged kitchen food to a charity?  I had the Salvation Army and an evangelical soup kitchen turn down perfectly good food because it wasn't coming from a commercial grocer.

Sell it to retail grocers like Wegman's or Publix? Not from a non commercial source where they can be certain it was stored properly.

Each passing day I am happier that I have enough land to grow my own food. It we hit 25% unemployed we'll see a return to Great Depression and wandering bands of the homeless and malnourished,

What are you selling?

Probably weed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You should stick to talking about cop stuff.

Your knowledge of trains is about as bad as your knowlegde of the history of the .40 S&W.
View Quote

OH, no, he didn't!
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Home improvement industry.

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

buy once, cry once
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why arent they getn bailout money and paying employees ? Something doesnt add up, the PPP  is designed for this exact reason.
View Quote

There was a local report of people being pissed off because their boss didn't lay them off, they would have made more money on unemployment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your knowledge of trains is about as bad as your knowlegde of the history of the .40 S&W.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Once the states start opening things up the economy will rebound but it won't as fast as we would like.  There has been too much structural damage done to have a rapid recovery.

It took us over a year to recover from the trillion dollar hit to the economy by 911.  It will take us several years to fully recover from this 5-7 trillion dollar hit.

If Trump gets reelected we will probably be back to 3.5-4.0% unemployment by the end of his next term.  If Biden is elected we will probably be in the 7.0%  range.
Our economy is like a train. We slammed on the emergency breaks. It will take much longer to start up than it was to slow down. When a train does an emergency stop, all that cargo and weight shifts forward. The locomotive itself could be damaged due to the braking system warping the wheels, railcars could be thrown off the track, etc.... it isn't like a car came to a controlled stop at a red light and started right back up again.

*I'm not a Train Conductor or Engineer, this is just a metaphor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe start manufacturing C clamps?

If that’s not a rhetorical question I’d say buy the Chinese version until you’re in a position to buy American or American C clamps are available at a lower price, which I think will happen eventually for a lot of American products. Demand is going to increase, and competition will produce lower prices. You’re more valuable to the nation and your family doing business. Going bankrupt is a loss for your family and this country, China wins in that scenario.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So go.

Seriously.

Organize 10,000 people to go re-open businesses and get this moving.  What will the authorities do about it?  What about the following week when its 100,000 back to work?  

Don't rely on the government and its timetable to get this done.  Do it yourself.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So go.

Seriously.

Send the police? Businesses are closed by government decree in Florida. Local and state.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:36:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Send the police? Businesses are closed by government decree in Florida. Local and state.
View Quote
It's a "Safer at Home" order and there are no consequences (coded law) to ignoring them. They are a list of recommendations. It's being left to city police departments and county sheriffs to enforce.

You know what local government LOOOOVES from the state? Unfunded mandates. You're going to get a lot of city cops and deputies going, "fuck it."

This state is borderline ungovernable and law enforcement is just good enough to keep people from overtly killing each other in the street.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:40:36 AM EDT
[#15]
.gov doesn't treat tax dollars like they had to work for them.  Out of touch at all levels
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Probably weed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell to whom?

What are you selling?

Probably weed.

Shitty weed if his sales have dropped by 60%
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Americans and going nuts buying Chinese goods. Look here with the baofeng radios, Primary Arms/Holosun/Sig Optics, and every piece of tacticool gear thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe start manufacturing C clamps?

If that's not a rhetorical question I'd say buy the Chinese version until you're in a position to buy American or American C clamps are available at a lower price, which I think will happen eventually for a lot of American products. Demand is going to increase, and competition will produce lower prices. You're more valuable to the nation and your family doing business. Going bankrupt is a loss for your family and this country, China wins in that scenario.
Americans and going nuts buying Chinese goods. Look here with the baofeng radios, Primary Arms/Holosun/Sig Optics, and every piece of tacticool gear thread.

The basically slave labor goods from China are way less than the US where min wage is 7.5x an hour what most workers make in a day, plus taxes!  

Getting off that teet is gonna require some pain, for consumers, businesses, and the .gov at every level
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nope

There should have never been any shutdown.

Survival of the fittest, if you think you will die stay home.
View Quote

Absolutely this.

Way back when all this economic shutdown crap was starting everyone KNEW covid-19 almost entirely only affected elderly and unhealthy with the occasoinal younger person. The covid19 CARES act should have been aimed at the vulnerable to enable them to stay at home and shelter. For anyone of any age diagnosed and hospitalized with COVID19, anyone over 45 with significant comorbidities, anyone over 65 years old period; the CARES act should have provided qualified people with expanded UI, job protection for when the pandemic is over, trumpbucks to cover increased cost of home-delivered goods, adequete access to PPE, locked down nursing/retirement homes, etc...

Give the most at risk people the tools needed to enable them to protect themselves. If they want to go out and risk getting china flu then that's on them. There should have been no total shutdown. Yeah, you'd lose a couple hundred/thousand more "young" people but he economy as a whole would be in the toilet like it is today, the stimulus would have been much cheaper, and the economy wouldn't have to try to heal from a near standstill.

Let the bulk of the low-risk working age people continue working and keep the economy pumping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
China is Asshole.  So is Iran and North Korea.  Russia is too.  And so are Islamic terrorists.  Blame them for this virus.
View Quote
And now they know how to cripple us.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:13:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you want a quality C clamp that is US made or not? If buying some good C clamps to reliably run your business bankrupts you, maybe the problem is not the clamps?
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

ok boomer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a lot of exceptions. I still go to work in an office (ecommerce) and almost every office on our block is still open.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#24]
No no no, we all need to starve to death. Much better than maybe getting the flu.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Do you want a quality C clamp that is US made or not? If buying some good C clamps to reliably run your business bankrupts you, maybe the problem is not the clamps?
View Quote

Yeah, paying four times as much for equivalent tools is just good business sense.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.
We can blame China for Covid-19, we can't blame China for the insane unconstitutional government overreaching respsonse to Covid-19.

Correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's a "Safer at Home" order and there are no consequences (coded law) to ignoring them. They are a list of recommendations. It's being left to city police departments and county sheriffs to enforce.

You know what local government LOOOOVES from the state? Unfunded mandates. You're going to get a lot of city cops and deputies going, "fuck it."

This state is borderline ungovernable and law enforcement is just good enough to keep people from overtly killing each other in the street.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a misdemeanor in Pinellas County
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
LOL.... you have Republican gun grabbing Sheriff Bob Gualtieri and I'm in Leon with Democrat Sheriff Walt McNeil where it isn't a misdemeanor.

I love seeing that political parties really aren't as divided as people thought they were.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.... you have Republican gun grabbing Sheriff Bob Gualtieri and I'm in Leon with Democrat Sheriff Walt McNeil where it isn't a misdemeanor.

I love seeing that political parties really aren't as divided as people thought they were.

The few PCSO deputies I have interacted with have been highly professional and Sheriff Bob seems to run a tight ship, but his comments on open carry were unforgivable.

For those who don’t know, the Sheriff publicly said that if the FL legislature allowed open carry, he would give all his deputies a standing order to prone out open carriers at gunpoint and cuff them, then figure out if they were up to no good, were prohibited persons, etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#30]
None of this bad stuff can't be happening according to the stock market.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The few PCSO deputies I have interacted with have been highly professional and Sheriff Bob seems to run a tight ship, but his comments on open carry were unforgivable.
View Quote

His comments on red flag laws aren't much better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Won't happen. Americans are addict to cheap Chinese goods. Loook at Arfcom and we aren't even a microcosm of the nation's population.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Baofeng-5-pack-on-WOOT/5-2321808/?

Look at how many threads pop up about Baofeng radios, ChiCom made Red Dots, Tacticool Gear made overseas, etc....

The average American Consumer is even worse.
View Quote

Who here knows how to make red dots and radios?

Building for sale.

Big bitch is for assembling optics.

Neck beard radio assembly/manufacturing buildings.

Pay 8.5 million for the whole place. Not a penny more.

Quick Google search of the area...
Oooof.

Unemployment rate4.8%
Poverty level21.3%
Median household income$39,330
Median earnings male$28,692
Median earnings female$22,484

Hire and train locally.
If folks are taking home after tax and health insurance, say. 700 per week each? That's going to render free shit army values irrelevant. Tie conservative values and a strong pro2A stance, pride in craftsmanship/quality? Crank out a high volume to be priced competitively...
MADE IN USA no chicom support?

I think it could be done.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:25:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What are you selling?
View Quote

Probably groceries, cleaning supplies, sporting goods, home gym equipment, home office supplies, video games, cooking supplies, or any of the other stuff that is booming. Some market sectors are seeing daily sales numbers they have never seen outside of Black Friday.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
None of this bad stuff can't be happening according to the stock market.
View Quote

You seem confused about what the stock market is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My Wife and I had a trip planned for our 25th wedding anniversary to Florida for the first of May, everything went down the tubes once things started shutting down.
View Quote

My wife and I were going to Europe this year for our 50th anniversary.  Forget about that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Both gave the money back.
View Quote

Under duress...  Or, should I say, once the sunlight shone on them.

TC
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why arent they getn bailout money and paying employees ? Something doesnt add up, the PPP  is designed for this exact reason.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For those who don’t know, the Sheriff publicly said that if the FL legislature allowed open carry, he would give all his deputies a standing order to prone out open carriers at gunpoint and cuff them, then figure out if they were up to no good, were prohibited persons, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like tyranny.  They are getting good at it at this point
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So go.

Seriously.

If I had a business that was about to go under anyways, I'd open back up. You've got nothing to lose at that point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tyranny is really easy when the doomer sheep are begging you for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:00:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sounds like your neighbor just didn't have the business acuity/agility to repurpose her food service sales into the consumer grocery market while this shut down plays out. Hell, the grocery stores were running out of stuff because people were buying multiple units...like food service sized packs.

Worst case scenario she could have donated it all to food pantries and taken a write off.

With the PPP money available, she should have been able to keep those people on her payroll.

With the government dough being made available...there's damn little reason anybody with enough sense to operate a business is being forced to permanently close down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cruise ships, no hotel stays, no tourism, no beaches.

These D.C. government robots with paychecks coming off the money press are so out of touch with how many Americans have nothing coming in right now. My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.

Sounds like your neighbor just didn't have the business acuity/agility to repurpose her food service sales into the consumer grocery market while this shut down plays out. Hell, the grocery stores were running out of stuff because people were buying multiple units...like food service sized packs.

Worst case scenario she could have donated it all to food pantries and taken a write off.

With the PPP money available, she should have been able to keep those people on her payroll.

With the government dough being made available...there's damn little reason anybody with enough sense to operate a business is being forced to permanently close down.

How much money can a business get for the PPP?  Can it be used to pay rent as well? I talked to a business owner who told me his monthly rent is $26,000.00
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Government ruins everything.
No exceptions.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Correct answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blaming our government for this virus is kinda like blaming the NYC city council for 9/11
This virus exists to the extent it does because China lied and concealed the truth.
They are responsible for this. Every other government is simply trying to choose the least worst path through this mess...because there is no good path.

I'd be fine with Trump sending a letter to China stating that we have elected to default on 100% of our debt to them, that we consider their neglect an act of war, and that in response we are writing our debt to them off our books...end of game. Fuck them...their industry...their economy...and the nations who foster them. I'm not sure who would be more pissed....China, or all the nations they owe (our) money to.

Correct answer.

Yes and no. China released the virus, AND set the example of perceived needed response to it.  As much as they denied it, we (and by extension, world leaders) watch them physically cut off roads, lock people in buildings, and demand complete economic shutdown. When things progressed to looking bad in Iran (and Italy), who followed similar measures, it all but guaranteed similar response world wide.  I'm not saying that following the world WAS right, but its not like we are the only country to do so, and we all started by watching China.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:13:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There was a local report of people being pissed off because their boss didn't lay them off, they would have made more money on unemployment.
View Quote

PPP funds ran out rather fast, and a lot of small business did not get approved
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#49]
update:

Neighbor tells me they closed doors for good yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
update:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
update:

these guys?  Man, that sucks.

My neighbor owns a commercial food distribution biz that services restaurants and she can't afford to reopen it. All the employees(50-60) are hosed.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top