Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/26/2019 1:43:19 PM EDT
About 3 years ago i needed to put some money into a traditional IRA, for tax purposes.I was working alot, and didnt have time to get the money to fidelity, or any of the other  investment firms i usually use.I decided to give EJ a try, since i only needed to invest $1100 for the year.
The guy at ej talked me into a fund that was low risk, and had been consistantly yielding 5%.The investment guy said we could either surrender $100 up front, or pay annual fees.I chose up front.
6 months later i get a statement in the mail  showing, not only had i lost money, but there were fee's comming out all the time.I called the agent i had delt with, and turns out, he gave my account to a new EJ agent in another town who was starting up.

Fast forward to a year ago.I noticed  EJ had opened in my town, so i had my $ transferred there.The new lady assured me there shoudnt be any fee's, and she would keep an eye on my fund.At the time of the transfer, i was down to $800 of the initail $1100 investment.I gave the local lady a year to get the fund making $ again.
About 2 months ago, i get a notice in the mail, it was time for my $40.00 annual fee.I called the local lady and said i wanted to transfer the $ to one of my other ira's, because they had lied to me, and the fund had not shown 1 penny of profit in 3 years.
I was told , it would take a month to get a check.Not only did edward jones take the $40 annual fee, they charged a $90 cancellation fee, and  fed tax, for taking it out of a IRA shelter.

After 3 years with Edward Jones, my account went from $1100, down to $690.00.This little lesson only cost me $410.Hopfully others here can learn what kind of company edward jones is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
And all of what happened was in a document you signed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You are losing more than you think. I can give you a relatively easy two step solution.

1. Spend some time reading on bogleheads.org
2. Get your money away from EJ.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I shitcanned them when they incorrectly reported the cost basis of an IRA I received as part of an estate.    Got a $13,000 bill from the IRS.
The value at the time I receive it was the value at that time, not ZERO you idiots!!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The guy at ej talked me into a fund that was low risk, and had been consistantly yielding 5%.
View Quote
What fund are we talking about here?

(Disclosure: I was an EJ broker a bit over 15 years ago.)
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I had money with the local EJ for 10 years.

It was pitiful what the investments paid and it's on me for leaving it to long in a stagnant account.

I made a decision to pull it out and invest it with the same company that does our retirement at work. I have made multiple the returns I had with Edward Jones.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
So how do you like working at Edward Jones?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
So welcome to the investment world.   Most investment advisors wont even take an account under 100k.   You are lucky you got any attention.
Now when you move the account they'll hit you for another $100.  Which by the way is what every firm discount or full service charges to move an
account.

You are better off at a discounter, put it in an index with proper risk that you can accept and leave it there the next 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You are losing more than you think. I can give you a relatively easy two step solution.

View Quote
This.

An investment broker is nothing but a middle man, looking to pilfer your profits, or losses, it matters not to him.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had money with the local EJ for 10 years.

It was pitiful what the investments paid and it's on me for leaving it to long in a stagnant account.

I made a decision to pull it out and invest it with the same company that does our retirement at work. I have made multiple the returns I had with Edward Jones.
View Quote
EJ is unabashedly conservative.  Lord Abbet Affiliated, ICA, JNJ, P&G, CDs, etc...those old dinosaurs were our go-to pitches for our clients.  In my case, "old money" retirees in Hampton Roads.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I called the local lady and said i wanted to transfer the $ to one of my other ira's, because they had lied to me, and the fund had not shown 1 penny of profit in 3 years.

I was told , it would take a month to get a check  .Not only did edward jones take the $40 annual fee, they charged a $90 cancellation fee, and  fed tax, for taking it out of a IRA shelter.
View Quote
It has been a few years since I was a Registered Representative, but my dim recollection is that if EJ transfers the money directly to the other IRA instead of writing you a check, then they shouldn't take the federal tax out.  Maybe @midcap or someone else can step in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not necessarily, RRs have been known to just assume things are a certain way without reading the actual documents.

"Whaddya mean we don't take an annual fee? We've always taken an annual fee!" doesn't cut it when the documents say otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#13]
What is the fund ticker symbol that you invested in?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
There's a whole bunch of mistakes made in that story.

Fees on so small an amount will eat into it. Paying a broker to try to get a 5% return. Nit looking at it and taking action for a couple of years
Paying a se inf person to actively invest an even smaller amount.
Asking for a check from an IRA instead of doing a direct transfer to avoid taxes

Hit Motley Fool and boglehead to avoid this happening again as that isn't isolated to EJ
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
To tell you the truth, i just put all of the edward jones paperwork in the fireplace.I have learned a lesson, and hopefully someone else can avoid this company based on my experience.
I will just take this check and add it to my franklin templeton roth, since it has now been taxed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy shit that was funny!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It has been a few years since I was a Registered Representative, but my dim recollection is that if EJ transfers the money directly to the other IRA instead of writing you a check, then they shouldn't take the federal tax out.  Maybe @midcap or someone else can step in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I called the local lady and said i wanted to transfer the $ to one of my other ira's, because they had lied to me, and the fund had not shown 1 penny of profit in 3 years.

I was told , it would take a month to get a check  .Not only did edward jones take the $40 annual fee, they charged a $90 cancellation fee, and  fed tax, for taking it out of a IRA shelter.
$40 annual custodian fee is the norm for IRAs....if the Op wanted to have the free waived he should have brought more money.

The $90 is an account termination fee. The new Broker should have covered it.

Also sounds like Op bought an A share.

All the fees Op would have paid over time should have been.

1. A share commission
2. $40 annual custodian fee
3. Fund fees which includes a 12-b-1 paid to the adviser.

Again....while EJ is the walmart of the Investing world...they aren't made for a $1000 IRA.

Sorry your experiences sucked for you op, but of all things that make EJ unsavory to some, a $40 annual fee and a transfer fee has been in existance since Ted Jones was running things.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It sounds like you need to read "the big investment lie"
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It sounds like you need to read "the big investment lie"
View Quote
Big Investment Lie is a load of horse crap.

The gist of it is that Advisors can't beat an index.

nicholascageyoudontsay.jpg
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
$40 annual custodian fee is the norm for IRAs....if the Op wanted to have the free waived he should have brought more money.

1. A share commission

Again....while EJ is the walmart of the Investing world...they aren't made for a $1000 IRA.

Sorry your experiences sucked for you op, but of all things that make EJ unsavory to some, a $40 annual fee and a transfer fee has been in existance since Ted Jones was running things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. A share commission

What about the federal tax bite?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
This is so fucking true.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]
E-Trade, Ally, fidelity for the win
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
First of all, all mutual funds have fees for running the fund called 12b-1's. Most range from 75 to 120 basis points. It's not uncommon for custodian firms to charge an IRA maintenance fee for tax reporting. Secondly, you always have market risk with any investment. Third, you shouldn't have taken a check to transfer to another IRA, you should have initiated a transfer from your other account and have it sent from that firm to Edward Jones to move the account. Lastly, most firms will charge an account closing fee. I don't think it's right but it's not uncommon.

That being said, Edward Jones has a bunch of know-nothing "advisors." They'll take anybody off the street and give them a shot at being a financial representative as long as they can pass the requisite exams. They are also free to move your account to another rep if your original rep leaves the firm.

I'm a registered securities principal for a broker/dealer and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife has a 401 with EJ,. We keep losing about$4-6 hundred a year.  She won't pull it out and put it under our mattress though.  Fortunately I have silver, we'll be on easy Street any day now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not an investment guy, I'm just the poor schmuck that deals with the 1099-Rs you generate.

I don't think I've ever seen FWH on a direct, custodian-to-custodian rollover.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Curious why you “usually used” fidelity but couldn’t find the time to invest the money when you conceivably have an account with them?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To tell you the truth, i just put all of the edward jones paperwork in the fireplace.I have learned a lesson, and hopefully someone else can avoid this company based on my experience.
I will just take this check and add it to my franklin templeton roth, since it has now been taxed.
View Quote
Yes we have all learned not to burn our financial contracts. Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. A share commission

I say he said, that it costs $90 to take the money out of a tax shelter.

I don't know what he means by that.

It costs $90 to close the account.

I am a little confused
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
First of all, all mutual funds have fees for running the fund called 12b-1's. Most range from 75 to 120 basis points. It's not uncommon for custodian firms to charge an IRA maintenance fee for tax reporting. Secondly, you always have market risk with any investment. Third, you shouldn't have taken a check to transfer to another IRA, you should have initiated a transfer from your other account and have it sent from that firm to Edward Jones to move the account. Lastly, most firms will charge an account closing fee. I don't think it's right but it's not uncommon.

That being said, Edward Jones has a bunch of know-nothing "advisors." They'll take anybody off the street and give them a shot at being a financial representative as long as they can pass the requisite exams. They are also free to move your account to another rep if your original rep leaves the firm.

I'm a registered securities principal for a broker/dealer and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
View Quote
Yes....reminds me of this scene.

Ben Affleck's speech in Boiler Room

fast forward to 1:04
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My wife has a 401 with EJ,. We keep losing about$4-6 hundred a year.  She won't pull it out and put it under our mattress though.  Fortunately I have silver, we'll be on easy Street any day now.
View Quote
that's real retarded sir
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not an investment guy, I'm just the poor schmuck that deals with the 1099-Rs you generate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@strat81

you can't have a direct transfer and withhold tax as it would not be a direct transfer anymore. Because that would trigger the 1099-R because the FWH is considered part of the gross distribution
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I've always been happy with Vanguard and Fidelity.

ETA: funny anecdote, coworker starts his 401k after years of not even bothering to get the 6% match.  Less than one month later, he tells me he is down and wants to pull his money out before it is all gone.  (this was in that market drop we had late last year).

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've always been happy with Vanguard and Fidelity.
View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a small IRA at EJ once upon a time.  The local investment retard pissed off my boss, and since he contributes the employer match, had us close our accounts/move to another firm.

EJ transferred the money as specified, and I had a paper trail that indicated as much.  They also sent paperwork to the IRS showing it as a withdrawal from the account...so the IRS came looking the following year, asking for their $7K.  Took several hours and multiple phone calls to get it straightened out.

Not much of a fan of EJ.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm working with an EJ rep doing a "guided solution" and have for several years and frankly with what he's done with my money, I gave him more.

YMMV.  My guy is doing very well with my money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had a small IRA at EJ once upon a time.  The local investment retard pissed off my boss, and since he contributes the employer match, had us close our accounts/move to another firm.

EJ transferred the money as specified, and I had a paper trail that indicated as much.  They also sent paperwork to the IRS showing it as a withdrawal from the account...so the IRS came looking the following year, asking for their $7K.  Took several hours and multiple phone calls to get it straightened out.

Not much of a fan of EJ.
View Quote
@mattellis2

I loathe Fast Eddies Investments but this case it was not EJ's fault.

In order to transfer what I assume was a Simple IRA, the accepting custodian needed to submit a letter of acceptance along with the transfer form.

The broker in which the account transferred to fucked up...Not Big Green
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I am a little confused
View Quote
Might have processed it as an indirect rollover, not a direct transfer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@strat81

you can't have a direct transfer and withhold tax as it would not be a direct transfer anymore. Because that would trigger the 1099-R because the FWH is considered part of the gross distribution
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@strat81

I get what you're saying.  But, a 1099-R, code G, is generated for direct rollovers.

Know what's fun?  When someone leaves a job, gets a check for their 401K balance less FWH, learns they'll owe tax on it, rolls it over into an IRA, and forgets to include the FWH.

Extra fun if they're under age 50 and the FWH was $20k or more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm working with an EJ rep doing a "guided solution" and have for several years and frankly with what he's done with my money, I gave him more.

View Quote
@TwistedSister

Not to be Debbie Downer, but Guided is a watered down version of Advisory Soloutions which is Mediocre and Expensive.

I also don't see how you can be happy with the shit show from last year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Those poor financial advisors need houses and cars and boats and vacations and...they need you to pay for them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#41]
2 words....Talkto Chuck
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#42]
"If you want a friend on Wall Street, buy a dog."
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am a little confused
Either way...when the account is closed the $90 gets charged.

He more than likely did a roll over b/c if it were a direct trans the credit would have transferred to the new firm.

the $90 still has nothing to do with federal taxes...it's an account closing fee
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I get what you're saying.  But, a 1099-R, code G, is generated for direct rollovers.

Know what's fun?  When someone leaves a job, gets a check for their 401K balance less FWH, learns they'll owe tax on it, rolls it over into an IRA, and forgets to include the FWH.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@strat81

I get it, but I can't see how you can have a code G and withholding at the same time.

They won't let us process a distribution like that. You have to pick it either way.

Now you can have a regular aged based then a code G
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
@TwistedSister

Not to be Debbie Downer, but Guided is a watered down version of Advisory Soloutions which is Mediocre and Expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TwistedSister

Up until the severe downturn in the stock market, I did VERY well.  I think my money has been with him for about 3 or so years now.
If I knew of anything better, I'd be doing it.  I don't have the time to monitor my stuff every day like some people do.  He knows my risk threshold and when I wish to retire and how much money I make and have in other accounts (not just his, but 403B too).

I already know two people he's made millionaires out of...so there's that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Those poor financial advisors need houses and cars and boats and vacations and...they need you to pay for them.
View Quote
So your line of work there is no profit to be made?

Work for the govt?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Interesting reading!  We have been with EJ for about 10 years now and have three accounts with them.  Guess we have a good agent as we have made money every year, usually 8.5-9.2%, but have over $250K in the accounts.  Do they go up and down each month, yep, but we are in for a longer haul.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#49]
What fund was it?  Have a ticker?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Up until the severe downturn in the stock market, I did VERY well.  I think my money has been with him for about 3 or so years now.
If I knew of anything better, I'd be doing it.  I don't have the time to monitor my stuff every day like some people do.  He knows my risk threshold and when I wish to retire and how much money I make and have in other accounts (not just his, but 403B too).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TwistedSister

As long as you like what he is doing....they are just expensive for what they are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top