Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always been happy with Vanguard and Fidelity.
Congrats!
I don't understand why anyone would bother with EJ when Vanguard is so easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
99.9% of 'advisors' are actually sales people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting reading!  We have been with EJ for about 10 years now and have three accounts with them.  Guess we have a good agent as we have made money every year, usually 8.5-9.2%, but have over $250K in the accounts.  Do they go up and down each month, yep, but we are in for a longer haul.
So I'm not the only one here who has been pleased with their agent.
Do I think the agent and your relationship with them makes a difference?  Yes, absolutely.  This guy came highly recommended by someone I consider very shrewd with their money.

Mine went down last year due to that downturn but I've got a while left before I retire so I wasn't worried about it.  And my return has been VERY good.
That's good you like your guys...but don't over hype their returns.

Ak is wrong by saying they made 8.5-9.2% every year that is a false statement.

Because when using markowitz you don't have it both ways.

There is really nothing wrong with doing business with prople you know and trust...but EJ isn't a magic investment bullet.
I mean, if they are specifically referring to the past 10 years, the SP500 had geomean growth of around 10.5% per year. But it also kind of cherry picks a bottom for the starting point.

edit/ In my experience, Ed Jones people are not advisors, they are sales people. At least they aren't Northwestern Mutual. :-)
99.9% of 'advisors' are actually sales people.
That is true, until you get into the Indie/RIA world

Then it changes. You normally have a guys doing client relations/sales, guys doing the asset allocations strategies and then the guys doing the planning.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not blaming EJ on that one. Fool me once, etc. You left your money with them for three years.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, if you want to quickly lose the rest of your money, try UBS.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@midcap

If not the box store resource for meh mutual funds and over paying fees for a B grade adjent to glance at your account once or twice a year, where would a guy go to have someone manage the small bit of money he is putting back?
View Quote
@CLICKBANGBANG

I can't recommend anyone but there are plenty of outfits that solve his problem and provide an actual person.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, if you want to quickly lose the rest of your money, try UBS.
View Quote
We had a long time client, actual close cousin that left to go with them from us.

Elle oh Effin Elle.

last I checked homie is back at work
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@midcap

If not the box store resource for meh mutual funds and over paying fees for a B grade adjent to glance at your account once or twice a year, where would a guy go to have someone manage the small bit of money he is putting back?
View Quote
Not midcap, but like I said in a previous post it is relatively easy to spend a little time on bogleheads and setup a basic set it and forget it investment plan. If you really don't want to do that then if you can have Vanguard Advisory Services handle it all for you if you have the $50k minimum. Another option with no minimum is Fidelity Go robo advisor. Just keep in mind paying for help is going to cost you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
crooks
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Change funds. I'm with EJ, over 50k invested there is no annual fee, under 50k it was 10 bucks.

My return since starting has averaged over 13% since the late 90's
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:03:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, all funds have 12b-1s or some kind of management fee. You're thinking of no-load funds, where load refers to commission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, all mutual funds have fees for running the fund called 12b-1's. Most range from 75 to 120 basis points. It's not uncommon for custodian firms to charge an IRA maintenance fee for tax reporting. Secondly, you always have market risk with any investment. Third, you shouldn't have taken a check to transfer to another IRA, you should have initiated a transfer from your other account and have it sent from that firm to Edward Jones to move the account. Lastly, most firms will charge an account closing fee. I don't think it's right but it's not uncommon.

That being said, Edward Jones has a bunch of know-nothing "advisors." They'll take anybody off the street and give them a shot at being a financial representative as long as they can pass the requisite exams. They are also free to move your account to another rep if your original rep leaves the firm.

I'm a registered securities principal for a broker/dealer and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Not all funds have a 12b1....not even close to all funds.
Yes, all funds have 12b-1s or some kind of management fee. You're thinking of no-load funds, where load refers to commission.
already addressed but no, I am not referring to just that.

I'm a CFP and I sleep at Marriot's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, 12b-1 is a specific kind of fee (that stupid people pay) that many funds do not have.

Quoted:

Then it changes. You normally have a guys doing client relations/sales, guys doing the asset allocations strategies and then the guys doing the planning.
Fair enough. Tbh, I don't know that many advisors. Most of the people I know whom I think of in that category would fit more in the wealth/fund manager class. The one advisor I know the best is pretty damn legit and working on level 2 cfa currently. She's independent, though, not a franchise.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
save a couple more hundred, buy a coogie and bury it in your sock drawer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 1:42:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Front end sales loads are going the way of the dodo
View Quote
It’s even worse than I thought with “Guided Solutions”.

https://www.edwardjones.com/images/guided-solutions-fund-schedule-of-fees.pdf

1.35 up to 250,000
1.30 next 250,000

1.30 x 500,000 = 6,500/yr x 20 yrs = 130,000

But wait let’s throw in those nice triple digit ERs and your fees are probably closer to 2-2.5%.

Plus transaction fee to reinvest dividends

Plus transaction fee to buy/sell to “rebalance”

If the market is roaring at 10% a year you won’t notice as much as if it’s putzing along at 5-6%, then you’re probably looking at negative total returns in both real and nominal terms.

Instead you could start an account with Vanguard or Fidelity, either lump sum or automatically DCA into a Target Date fund with a .10-.15 ER and not have to lift a finger.

Sad!
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Big Investment Lie is a load of horse crap.

The gist of it is that Advisors can't beat an index.

nicholascageyoudontsay.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like you need to read "the big investment lie"

Why do you hate math?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 2:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't think I would go that far, but certainly do your due diligence and avoid excessive fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
dont use financial advisors
I don't think I would go that far, but certainly do your due diligence and avoid excessive fees.
How about don't call salesmen advisors.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:42:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why do you hate math?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It sounds like you need to read "the big investment lie"

Why do you hate math?
I don’t hate math it’s a dumb ass book that could be summed up in a haiku

If client don’t know
Advisor show them the way
Hold hand add value
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:42:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
dont use financial advisors
But they are
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So why is that not reflected in their portfolio's beta measurements? did you ever ask them that?

You aren't the only one to have told me that.

I was talking to a guy the other day saying the same thing as his investments burned down in Q4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So why is that not reflected in their portfolio's beta measurements? did you ever ask them that?

I was talking to a guy the other day saying the same thing as his investments burned down in Q4
Not sure about the beta measurements. Ours were down Q4, but nothing that I would call "burned down". I am just speaking from one perspective/opinion. Not speaking for the company.

Quoted:
If you the client has a long-term growth objective and a high risk tolerance and they have you in low-risk investments, they're kinda fucking you over. I'd want my portfolio to match my risk tolerance and objectives without having to do my own research.
We are well diversified across multiple industries and multiple risk tolerance levels. I think most people don't know what their risk tolerance is and panic when they're down half a percent on the day. If you're not doing your own research and finding out what you want and what you're comfortable with,l or what the fees are for how much you're investing, you're asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#19]
You mean the investment guy at EJ makes a commission? No shit?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#20]
My EJ advisor turned out to be a liar. She ignored her fiduciary duty to benefit herself, so I terminated the account.
I won't say that one individual's actions represent an entire company, but I will say that it's the only bad experience I have ever had with any investment representative at any company.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:48:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My EJ advisor turned out to be a liar. She ignored her fiduciary duty to benefit herself, so I terminated the account.
I won't say that one individual's actions represent an entire company, but I will say that it's the only bad experience I have ever had with any investment representative at any company.
-Hobbit
View Quote
They are salespeople. Salespeople lie. Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:51:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not sure about the beta measurements. Ours were down Q4, but nothing that I would call "burned down". I am just speaking from one perspective/opinion. Not speaking for the company.

We are well diversified across multiple industries and multiple risk tolerance levels. I think most people don't know what their risk tolerance is and panic when they're down half a percent on the day. If you're not doing your own research and finding out what you want and what you're comfortable with,l or what the fees are for how much you're investing, you're asking for trouble.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you the client has a long-term growth objective and a high risk tolerance and they have you in low-risk investments, they're kinda fucking you over. I'd want my portfolio to match my risk tolerance and objectives without having to do my own research.
My point is they are making up the whole “conservative” talking point

It’s like voting yourself #1
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
-Hobbit
View Quote
I doubt she was holding herself out as a fiduciary
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#24]
... $1,100 as an investment?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#25]
I've got two 529's with EJ. They're appreciating fine. No issues with my local guy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
We all gotta start somewhere scro
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I invested 1K in 1973.
In 2016 it was work 100K. And that was just in one article, which I did not touch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I invested 1K in 1973.
In 2016 it was work 100K. And that was just in one article, which I did not touch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I invested 1K in 1973.
$1,000 in 1973 would be $5,405.56 today, which is a sum that makes a little more sense to invest.

With only $1,100 today it is easy for much of it to be eaten in fees.

Most folks that would consider $1,100 investment worthy probably have credit card debt that needs to be eliminated first. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$1,000 in 1973 would be $5,405.56 today, which is a sum that makes a little more sense to invest.

Most folks that would consider $1,100 investment worthy probably have credit card debt that needs to be eliminated first. Just my opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I invested 1K in 1973.

Sure, but I had to save for quite a while to get that amount (lived with my parents up to about then).
Every little bit in, gets you money out.  Beats blowing it on a new Iphone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Weslthfromt.com. First 10k invested free and then hugely discounted.  Asset allocation based in risk tolerance done by a Nobel laureate economist.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been with TRP for almost 20 years and have been very happy with returns and CS, I have Fidelity and John Hancock too and they're avg.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:44:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
I looked back, but didn't see, do you have an account with them? Or had an account in the past?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#33]
It appears to me that EJ is a crooked organization and I predict it will be the next financial institution to fall and/or come under federal investigation for probable mass fraud.

I'd never give them a penny of my money.

Vanguard FTMFW.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#34]
I am retired. Have been for about 5 years now. I have an EJ account. When I first met my advisor he told me he would not
make me rich. He said that he does not react to the market on knee jerk reactions.  I have been taking out 4% a year for the past 4 years.
So far I have a little more money than when I started. Yes there are ups and downs on the account but I use my account strictly as my monthly fixed amount
income. No small or big items are bought with my account such as boats, hookers and blow etc. I do have a little more than $1100 in my account.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This x100000 lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#36]
VANGUARD.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I looked back, but didn't see, do you have an account with them? Or had an account in the past?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the sausage being made
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am retired. Have been for about 5 years now. I have an EJ account. When I first met my advisor he told me he would not
make me rich. He said that he does not react to the market on knee jerk reactions.  I have been taking out 4% a year for the past 4 years.
So far I have a little more money than when I started. Yes there are ups and downs on the account but I use my account strictly as my monthly fixed amount
income. No small or big items are bought with my account such as boats, hookers and blow etc. I do have a little more than $1100 in my account.
View Quote
@passgas55

Why on earth are you still paying him?

Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#39]
The funds are designed to make them money first, you second.

Second thing to remember is that almost all of these funds/firms may rehypothecate "your" assets and if you read the fine print, you agreed to it.  The most glaring examples in recent memory is PFG Best and MF Global.   Bail-ins, not bail-outs, will be in this nation's future.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The funds are designed to make them money first, you second.

Second thing to remember is that almost all of these funds/firms may rehypothecate "your" assets and if you read the fine print, you agreed to it.  The most glaring examples in recent memory is PFG Best and MF Global.   Bail-ins, not bail-outs, will be in this nation's future.
View Quote
@4v50

To touch on your subject...guess how the assets are held in the advisory accounts these days over there?

Yep...they hold them...and they allow the sub advisers to manage them and charge a fee.

I need to dig up the account agreements but allegedly they are doing what Fidelity and the likes do with lending out securities.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Weslthfromt.com. First 10k invested free and then hugely discounted.  Asset allocation based in risk tolerance done by a Nobel laureate economist.
View Quote
What Nobel laureate is affiliated with Wealthfront? None.

Almost every modern investment strategy uses something developed by a Nobel winner... Because you don't win a Nobel for niche ideas.

I'm not saying wealthfront is bad, but let's not oversell what they are doing. A person can build an excel spreadsheet that does the same thing they do in about half an hour.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
@midcap

I'm in the indie space. Short of a few firms that have their own RIAs, the majority are still sales people. I would still pick a 3rd party to manage my money because that's what they do. Having one CFA on staff isn't going to compete with a huge money manager firm with lots of strategy people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

As long as you like what he is doing....they are just expensive for what they are.
View Quote
Yep. Between annual account fees, high commissions, and brokers that were caught peddling crappy funds because it benefited their bottom line, I don't understand why anyone would use EJ.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Stick your shit in a Vanguard mutal fund or two and call it good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Of course I'm a salesman, I didn't gather $87mm in assets based on my good looks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those poor financial advisors need houses and cars and boats and vacations and...they need you to pay for them.
View Quote
My EJ guy called one day and said I needed to hurry up and fully fund this years Roth IRA before he went on his vacation. Mind you it's his SEVETH fucking week long vacation this year. I'm thinking about pulling it from him based on that reason right there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
@midcap

I'm in the indie space. Short of a few firms that have their own RIAs, the majority are still sales people. I would still pick a 3rd party to manage my money because that's what they do. Having one CFA on staff isn't going to compete with a huge money manager firm with lots of strategy people.
View Quote
it must be regional, because nearly every indie down here runs an advisory style account and then their in house CFO sets the models based upon third party asset managers. They add in other sleeves that you aren't going to get with a TPAM.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yep. Between annual account fees, high commissions, and brokers that were caught peddling crappy funds because it benefited their bottom line, I don't understand why anyone would use EJ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as you like what he is doing....they are just expensive for what they are.
Granted that's not mutually exclusive to them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#49]
I had a smaller account with EJ for several years because I liked the guy at our local office.  He steered me into some American Funds that did pretty well.  Then I got a letter saying that they were closing that office and they handed my account to a different guy.  I didn’t even get a choice.  He knew I was about to retire and was absolutely salivating over my 401k.  This guy drove me nuts.  Everything had 1 to 2% up front fees.  I asked him, why would I want to do that?  I rolled it into a Vangaurd 2020 target fund and just moved the American Funds from EJ over too.  It’s so nice that I’m no longer getting all those phone calls, letters, and emails.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:24:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This x100000 lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This x100000 lol
Yeah advisors totally beat the market all the time like tons they just keep coming to work out of the goodness of their own hearts.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top