Page / 7
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Age 35-45?

Congratulations Gen-X, you are millennials now
View Quote

Someone needs to do up a Capt. Phillips meme "I'm the millennial now" for Gen-Xers
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nice.

All my HS jobs in the mid eighties paid just over $3/hr.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You dad had a hell of a job in 1980-1981. $25/hour back then was outstanding.
Yeah, my dad made about $7/hr in the mid eighties.

I was making $7-$8 in the mid 80s, in high school working at a landscape nursery.

Nice.

All my HS jobs in the mid eighties paid just over $3/hr.    

It was hard work, involving lots of shoveling, lifting, squating and stooping over, in the Florida sun. Went to college and worked for a general contractor, working my ass off, going to class covered in orange clay, elastomeric waterproofing, sweat, drywall dust, and was making $7+ also. When the recession hit around '82 I had to switch over to a full serve BP station and settled for $4.50/hr to get hours. Worked the 3-11pm shift 5 evenings per week, while in engineering school.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Someone needs to do up a Capt. Phillips meme "I'm the millennial now" for Gen-Xers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Age 35-45?

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My dad moved to Texas and took a job for about $7/hr working on aircraft around 1987. I'm pretty sure he made more before that but got laid off and needed to feed our family.

With five kids and a stay at home wife it was financially difficult for him until around the early 2000's. Almost all of his retirement savings were accumulated between 2005 and 2020. At that point he had maxed out his pay scale, obtained his A&P and had a lot of opportunities for overtime.

He retired a few years ago at 67 and is doing fairly well now.
View Quote

No doubt. Wasn't my intention to diminish his work. I just wanted to set the scene that working hard, could get half-decent money (even for a kid), when the min wage was down around $3-$4. DIdn't do a very good job of making that point.

For perspective, I also cashed out a couple $1000 cds to buy my first car at 15.5 yo, in '84. Was getting a little over 10% on those cds at my local bank.

Also, I got laid off twice in 2 years, in the aftermath of the 2007 housing bubble burst. Took a job in 2009 at the state, making half what I was in 2007.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Age 35-45?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451403/88kuxo-3052252.jpg

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So basically they were not taught to manage money.

View Quote

Few people are.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks

my 32yr old son owns a paid off house and has a rental with a mortgage.

Instead of getting a new truck he replaced the engine.

People are sometimes poor as they live a lifestyle they can afford. If they would just work more they wouldn't have a life and therefore no need for a lifestyle.

Back to the salt mines kiddos.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#8]
THE AVOCADO STRIKES AGAIN
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We were told that when we got to middle school all of our assignments would have to be written in cursive, flash forward to today and that same school district gives every student a tablet to do all of their assignments on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we weren't. We were taught Square Dancing in gym class and the recorder in music class. We were told by our parents going to college is the only way to make a living as an adult. Starting your own business was only for the rich and if you wanted to be a blue collar worker, you probably had bad grades and didn't apply yourself. Thanks Gen xers and baby boomers

Remember all of that time they spent teaching us cursive?

You need to learn this because this is how every adult writes.

We were told that when we got to middle school all of our assignments would have to be written in cursive, flash forward to today and that same school district gives every student a tablet to do all of their assignments on.

Lol, yup. Same with my old school district.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:21:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of my biggest disappointments in life was upon reaching adulthood and interacting with other alleged adults, finding out what they were actually like.

I never used my PE square dancing education.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we weren't. We were taught Square Dancing in gym class and the recorder in music class. We were told by our parents going to college is the only way to make a living as an adult. Starting your own business was only for the rich and if you wanted to be a blue collar worker, you probably had bad grades and didn't apply yourself. Thanks Gen xers and baby boomers

Remember all of that time they spent teaching us cursive?

You need to learn this because this is how every adult writes.
One of my biggest disappointments in life was upon reaching adulthood and interacting with other alleged adults, finding out what they were actually like.

I never used my PE square dancing education.

I still haven't used my giant gym parachute education either.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lulz

Because lulz is the only thing I can afford now
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember teachers telling students they couldn't use a calculator because "in real life you won't always a calculator on you"

Bitch my smart phone can translate math problems in Cantonese!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This all started when they removed Civics and Economics from the school curriculum back in the late 80's. Even some of my generation (X) is clueless on how to budget them self's.
View Quote

Those were core classes when I was in high school (class of 2000) and are still core classes in that schools curriculum today.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

GOT DAYUM AV-UH-CAH-DOES!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Lol

most of my Army buddies retired from 38-40yrs old and I retired at 46.

Retired lifestyle is the best lifestyle
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We should start a club. The best part is during a successful part of my financial recovery, I started a small business in late 2019 which the gov covid regs completely crushed...so that's fun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same boat; "elder" that basically bankrupted due to a divorce, and started over. Life goes on.

Yep. I'm doing better now...got a nicer job and I'm hitting my retirement accounts pretty hard, but even so, I'm still way behind on that. It is highly unlikely I'll ever be at the financial level I could have been, had I not gotten divorced. But as you said, life does go on.

We should start a club. The best part is during a successful part of my financial recovery, I started a small business in late 2019 which the gov covid regs completely crushed...so that's fun

Damn, that sucks.

I've never had the experience of having a business crushed by the .gov, but I do understand the constant feeling of shit happening at the worst possible time, every time.

But I hear that if I stop shoving avocado toast down my throat at every opportunity, suddenly I'll be rich and can afford anything beyond my wildest dreams.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks.

I've never had the experience of having a business crushed by the .gov, but I do understand the constant feeling of shit happening at the worst possible time, every time.

But I hear that if I stop shoving avocado toast down my throat at every opportunity, suddenly I'll be rich and can afford anything beyond my wildest dreams.
View Quote

It won't work if you JUST cut back on AVO-CA-DOHH you also need to stop getting your daily Starbucks.

Two step program to financial independence!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It won't work if you JUST cut back on AVO-CA-DOHH you also need to stop getting your daily Starbucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks.

I knew I was forgetting something.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#19]
useless degrees for made up titles
no hands on skills
no parenting skills
no work ethic

but god damn, we got iphones and iced coffee.

maybe join the military and at least be useful...
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What? I dunno.

Lots of us got homes 2011-2016 or so, then we refi in 2018 and again in 2020 and are sitting comfy. Golden handcuff? Sure, totally get that. But I can't afford to not live this lifestyle... it is cheaper for me to stay in CA then it is to move to most red states.
View Quote

I'm just glad I got the home I wanted to be in until the kids are out of the house before 2020 hit. Then the sweet 2% rates during 2020/21. I'm locked in an not going anywhere or refinancing anything.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Reminds me of when Marines recognize the youngest Marine at the birthday ceremony. Current year minus 17-19 will always be their birthyear, yet the old folks always gasp with surprise lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skill issues

And psychological issues which are more important.  Living in mommy's basement for 10-years warped them, before they got a real job and were able to move out.

Millennials, having grown up with social media distractions, think differently and most of that ends up being bad/dubious/fail thinking. Very sad, because in 100 years historians looking back will be labeling them the second "Lost Generation."
I love these threads because they're always full of people who don't know who millennials are lmao.

It's as if they remember millennials being teenagers when they first heard about them in the 1990s, and thus they will forever remain teenagers in their minds, or they might be allowed to get as old as 30.

Reminds me of when Marines recognize the youngest Marine at the birthday ceremony. Current year minus 17-19 will always be their birthyear, yet the old folks always gasp with surprise lol.

It's always a shock, even if you can mentally rationalize it.

I was asked to promote a Marine Corporal to Sergeant a bit ago, and was relieved as I was looking over his paperwork and confirmed he'd at least been born before I enlisted.... but that was 8 years ago now, and wouldn't be so lucky if I were ever back in that kind of situation. Time keeps on slippin'.

Get off of my lawn!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I remember using the victorias secret catalog back when the chicks were still hot while I was pulling on my bootstrap.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Idiots will be idiots in every generation. My mom hasnt had a pot to piss in or any decent vehicle her whole life. She got pregnant with my brother at 17 and me 2 years later. My stepdad not a pot to piss in either. Both Gen X. I have brothers and a sister here in Alaska we have a little thing called the permanent fund dividend. That means $1200+ for every Alaskan it fluctuates with the price of fuel generally theres more when fuel prices go up. One year the governor of the state added an extra $2000 "resource refund" bonus to that. That means with 6 people my stepdad and mom collected around $20k for theirs and my brothers as well as my sister. Im sure this was all pissed away as again they have no home or have had nothing but beater with a heater type of cars.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Meh.  Yes the last 15 years have been rough, and some people have been hit harder than others.  Some have done absolutely fantastic in that time.  I'm middle of the road by my assessment, even though realistically I'm probably better off than others.  The secret is I'm cheap as shit and only spend on what o absolutely need or absolutely want, not random shit.

I'm also taking a chance and about to take a significant pay cut for what I hope is better earning potential long term.  Luckily my wife has received raises in the last 2 years that more than offset what I'm about to reduce my salary by.  Biggest thing that concerns me js decrease in 401k
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Eh, things could be better, but I'm doing alright.  Anyone who thinks the last 25 years has been all lollypops and roses is denying reality though.  2008, 2016, 2020 caused real setbacks for many.

Many of my peers have not been as fortunate, divorce, injuries, cancer, etc.
View Quote

I think this is something being missed by many. It's not that no Millennials are successful or own the American dream. It's that fewer of them do than would be anticipated and wealth growth is behind the expected curve for the generation.
Part of that has been being hit by several "black swan" events during early career and core earning years. These things have impacted the generation overall and have likely impacted the more successful of the generation as well as they would be better off without them.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
According to that, based on the article's premise - GenX has more to bitch about as far as weathering tough economic conditions. We entered the workforce in the mid/late 80's when comp was dropping for a decade to come. So we went through a period of dropping relative comp when starting out, plus survived the 2000 tech Bubble, the 2008 crash and whatever the fuck madness is happening now, when we're trying to sort out how we'll retire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
According to that, based on the article's premise - GenX has more to bitch about as far as weathering tough economic conditions. We entered the workforce in the mid/late 80's when comp was dropping for a decade to come. So we went through a period of dropping relative comp when starting out, plus survived the 2000 tech Bubble, the 2008 crash and whatever the fuck madness is happening now, when we're trying to sort out how we'll retire.

Perhaps. I don't really want to fight about "who had it tougher," but I think the timing of 2008 crash hit those in the early '80s group the hardest because that was the group just coming out of college and looking to start a career and buy a house - and they already suffered from the less-severe tech bubble. (aside: the dot com burst definitely hit a different demographic with lower scope than the 2008 recession)

Someone who worked from '95 to '05 got to work in a period of relatively higher economic prosperity than someone who worked from '05-'15. That chart cuts off, but there was another economic downturn around 2012.

Even though both suffered working under the same conditions post-'05, the opportunity to build wealth leading up to that point makes all the difference.

ETA: obviously there's overlap with someone born in the late '70s, or who entered the workforce earlier or later for whatever reason. Again, I'm not trying to make this a "we had it tougher" competition. Individual experiences vary wildly, anyway; plenty of people are successful (or less so) in spite of conditions.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Perhaps. I don't really want to fight about "who had it tougher," but I think the timing of 2008 crash hit those in the early '80s group the hardest because that was the group just coming out of college and looking to start a career an buy a house - and they already suffered from the less-severe tech bubble. (aside: the dot com burst definitely hit a different demographic with lower scope than the 2008 recession)

Someone who worked from '95 to '05 got to work in a period of relatively higher economic prosperity than someone who worked from '05-'15. That chart cuts off, but there was another economic downturn around 2012.

Even though both suffered working under the same conditions post-'05, the opportunity to build wealth leading up to that point makes all the difference.
View Quote
I started working in 2006. Got a smoking deal on my first house in 2010 because of the 2008 crash.

The 2008 crash was a speedbump but I managed to find my current employer in 2008.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Damn, that sucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same boat; "elder" that basically bankrupted due to a divorce, and started over. Life goes on.

Yep. I'm doing better now...got a nicer job and I'm hitting my retirement accounts pretty hard, but even so, I'm still way behind on that. It is highly unlikely I'll ever be at the financial level I could have been, had I not gotten divorced. But as you said, life does go on.

Damn, that sucks.

I blame the .gov but I didn't give up a-toast so maybe that was the real culprit lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
no hands on skills
no parenting skills
no work ethic

View Quote

Who do you think has been fighting in Iraq and AFG since 2001? lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:41:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I was asked to promote a Marine Corporal to Sergeant a bit ago, and was relieved as I was looking over his paperwork and confirmed he'd at least been born before I enlisted.... but that was 8 years ago now, and wouldn't be so lucky if I were ever back in that kind of situation. Time keeps on slippin'.

Get off of my lawn!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skill issues

And psychological issues which are more important.  Living in mommy's basement for 10-years warped them, before they got a real job and were able to move out.

Millennials, having grown up with social media distractions, think differently and most of that ends up being bad/dubious/fail thinking. Very sad, because in 100 years historians looking back will be labeling them the second "Lost Generation."
I love these threads because they're always full of people who don't know who millennials are lmao.

It's as if they remember millennials being teenagers when they first heard about them in the 1990s, and thus they will forever remain teenagers in their minds, or they might be allowed to get as old as 30.

Get off of my lawn!

That is true, the first time you hear of one that was born after your join date is definitely a bit of a shock
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I started working in 2006. Got a smoking deal on my first house in 2010 because of the 2008 crash.

The 2008 crash was a speedbump but I managed to find my current employer in 2008.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps. I don't really want to fight about "who had it tougher," but I think the timing of 2008 crash hit those in the early '80s group the hardest because that was the group just coming out of college and looking to start a career an buy a house - and they already suffered from the less-severe tech bubble. (aside: the dot com burst definitely hit a different demographic with lower scope than the 2008 recession)

I got out of the Army in 2009 and struggled to find gainful employment - in fairness this was due in large part to my trying to make a living in an economically poor area with few prospects. Things got better a few years later when I dumped the GF and moved.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
We were lied to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got out of the Army in 2009 and struggled to find gainful employment - in fairness this was due in large part to my trying to make a living in an economically poor area with few prospects. Things got better a few years later when I dumped the GF and moved.
View Quote
Wife and I moved in 2010, and we'd have had a much tougher time doing what we did here, there. $6k and a box truck was a tremendous help.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
We were lied to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We were lied to.

I trap kids under mine all the time

Amazon Product
  • This 24' Rainbow Play Parachute is constructed from heavy-duty 70 denier nylon with double stitched seams for maximum durability and completed with nylon webbing handles.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

ETA: obviously there's overlap with someone born in the late '70s, or who entered the workforce earlier or later for whatever reason. Again, I'm not trying to make this a "we had it tougher" competition. Individual experiences vary wildly, anyway; plenty of people are successful (or less so) in spite of conditions.
View Quote

Born early 80’s here - and bought first house which was a dump at 21yrs old because I didn’t go to college, had a decent paying job, saved and managed money well - and used my wife who was my girlfriend back then (22years now) to help pay half the mortgage.
2008-2009 was really rough!! We had literally just had our first child, and upgraded to a new house with a mortgage that was double. Then - took a 20% pay cut, sold our new cars to save, and bought/drove paid off older rigs.
Not sure how we got through it, but we did. Stayed working at the same company for 20 years, which now I own.
The 2008 house was sold and rolled into a brand new home that we turned into a rental. I just looked at my statement and I’m going to pay it off in the next few days and surprise the wife for Christmas. Have a few other properties. 1 paid off vacation home, 1 loan on a vacation rental, and then our primary which is 75% equity at the 3% so not paying that off anytime soon. And haven’t done an auto loan in years. (Including the 911)

It’s been a shit show, and now I owe the previous owner of our company close to 1 MIL. And the economy tanked again, and I went from working 5hr days for the past 3 years, to now scrambling to gather as much business as possible.
Sleeping pills have been helping me get some rest!
Grind when you need to grind, and relax when you have the opportunity!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]
A lot of people loved playing the covid games.  They didn't realize they didn't win.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
no hands on skills
no parenting skills
no work ethic

View Quote

Ignorant post. This has nothing to do with Millennials.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If you got to it too late you had to see which pages your mom had earmarked mid-wank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thing coming in the mail and swiping it before anyone else saw it was like pulling off the most satisfying crime of the century.

If you got to it too late you had to see which pages your mom had earmarked mid-wank.

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. Homeowner. Full time job, etc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So basically they were not taught to manage money.

View Quote

No but they were taught to calculate the area of a triangle and that mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.
The biggest lie and problem parents and millennials were told was that a college degree was essential to success to get a “ good job” it could be in underwater basket weaving for all employers cared. Public education failed by pushing college for all and student debt was normal.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We are the last generation to remember masturbating without a smart phone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are the last generation that can occupy themselves when the power goes out. Board games died with us

We are the last generation to remember masturbating without a smart phone.

I've never thought about that but damn if it isn't true.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A lot of people loved playing the covid games.  They didn't realize they didn't win.
View Quote

What are you talking about, they won a FREE $1200 check!
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:45:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Millenials sure picked up that ball and ran with it, didn’t they?

Screwed themselves in the process.
View Quote

I always knew Millenials were responsible for Covid. I just couldn't prove it until now
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:59:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I always knew Millenials were responsible for Covid. I just couldn't prove it until now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Millenials sure picked up that ball and ran with it, didn’t they?

Screwed themselves in the process.

I mean, the "m" is right there!
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 5:42:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

That is true, the first time you hear of one that was born after your join date is definitely a bit of a shock
View Quote

I was in a college class and the professor asked for people who remembered 9/11

My best friend is in a USMC recruiting command and at our age the kids they are getting in will be post 2000 birthdates and post 9/11 at that.

We both went to Iraq and were there at the same time. I was in Baghdad in the Army and he was in Ramadi in the Marines.

While I was at Starbucks tonight there was a Navy recruiter there meeting with a kid and his parents. I was waiting for my mobile order and kind of listening in. I remember getting the same type of pep talk from my recruiter but I honestly made it pretty simple on them. I just wanted a technical job and a faster ship date
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#49]
With iPhones, new vehicles, and avocado toast it’s not whether you partake, it’s a question of mean time between purchases that matters. But you guys already know that.

I can’t imagine being 40 and still bitching about my lot in life.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Anyone that is successful has VERY little use for whiners of Gen X, Millenials etc. that define themselves as such and cry about Boomers, etc.

Get off your ass, go to work, don't overspend.  Pretty simple really.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top