Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still getting the differential answer as it’s the way we measure it. I did not ask what the voltage differential from ground and neutral is.

Voltage is “pressure” to drive current.

Neutral is a path back to the transformer is another thing I keep hearing that makes no sense. Its alternating current not direct. That makes zero sense.

If the voltage and current changes direction 120 times a second from -170volts (or so for 240v split) to +170volts. How the hell is neutral not carrying the exact same voltage as line? That’s where I get lost.

If you don’t agree that peak voltage is 160-170volts you may not want to chime in.

Another that confuses me... if a circuit has a light bulb that draws 10 amps (big light bulb). If we measure current, which we can do. Neutral and line will both measure 10amps...ohms law saws?

I’m not in question of what we can and can not measure. I’m questioning what’s really there that we can not. Maybe it can be measured with a scope?
View Quote

Not an EE or in the field, but I just treat neutral/white as carrying current too and it measures carrying current. The third bare/green AFAIK is just a local earth ground that's really only there to give lightning strikes a more attractive path to ground than your equipment, and not really anything else (I gather the local earth ground won't reliably flip a breaker).
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Still getting the differential answer as it’s the way we measure it. I did not ask what the voltage differential from ground and neutral is.

Neutral is a path back to the transformer is another thing I keep hearing that makes no sense. Its alternating current not direct. That makes zero sense.

If the voltage and current changes direction 120 times a second from -170volts (or so for 240v split) to +170volts. How the hell is neutral not carrying the exact same voltage as line? That’s where I get lost.

If you don’t agree that peak voltage is 160-170volts you may not want to chime in.

Another that confuses me... if a circuit has a light bulb that draws 10 amps (big light bulb). If we measure current, which we can do. Neutral and line will both measure 10amps...ohms law saws?

I’m not in question of what we can and can not measure. I’m questioning what’s really there that we can not. Maybe it can be measured with a scope?

View Quote

Peak
Peak to peak
Average
RMS

all the things...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This sounds like #fakenews.
View Quote

Not fake at all. A single XYZv CT stepdown xfrmer has in it only a single magnetic field (it's fed from only 1ph, A B or C, of a 3ph feeder), hence it can only be a single phase. The "poles" in a CT panel is not 2ph.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Voltage is a measurement of potential difference.

Well, sort of, but trying to explain it w/o using the terms is hard.

Neutral bonds to earth. So voltage (potential) difference is squat.

If you measure neutral to ground, you get squat.

If you measure hot to the same hot leg, you get squat. There is no DIFFERENCE.

If you measure in your box L1 to neutral, you get 120v.

If you measure in your box L2 to neutral, you get 120v.

If you measure L1 to L2, you get 240.

Wait, what?

Each leg is only 120v to neutral, but they are 240 when measuring the difference between them because they are in opposite phase. L1 is -120v when L2 is +120v, etc. That is why you can power your entire panel with a 120v generator, just not run any 240v appliances.

240v appliances also don't need a neutral (unless they use L1 to power a 120v internal widget), as in the case of a 240v heater. I've installed many. You have 3 wires to the heater: L1, L2, Ground. No neutral needed. But how is this? You are measuring differences, and there is a potential difference of 240v between L1 an L2, so you don't need another conductor to have a difference to.

Clear as mud?
View Quote

I think what he is trying to ask is if the the two legs that are out of phase with one another cancel out (on the neutral) because it is common to both lines.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Huh. If it’s that easy to generate high voltage, why do power companies spend millions on generators and GSUs?
View Quote

Because they have customers who are using the voltage potential between the power lines and/or neutral to do work, letting electrons from between them. They have to make up the load the customers use by adding or removing more electrons to the lines to keep the voltage correct.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Opposite phase? So the power company brings in 2 phases? Neat!

#learningnewthings
View Quote

No they don't they provide 1 phase that is split
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because they have customers who are using the voltage potential between the power lines and/or neutral to do work, letting electrons from between them. They have to make up the load the customers use by adding or removing more electrons to the lines to keep the voltage correct.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh. If it’s that easy to generate high voltage, why do power companies spend millions on generators and GSUs?

Oh that makes perfect sense. #knowledge

How do they add or remove electrons from the line? Van De Graff generators?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Magnets.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Magnets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnets.

That’s a lie.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not an EE or in the field, but I just treat neutral/white as carrying current too and it measures carrying current. The third bare/green AFAIK is just a local earth ground that's really only there to give lightning strikes a more attractive path to ground than your equipment, and not really anything else (I gather the local earth ground won't reliably flip a breaker).
View Quote

Prem wiring has 100% nothing to do with lightning. NFPA has a separate codebook for lighting arrest systems.
A green insulated wire serves same purpose as the bare wire, fault clearing, aka "EGC". Insulated EGC's are insulated only when called for as described by the NEC codebook, like to pools/spas, in conduit as individual wires, etc.

A lightning strike to your house will use bare and N wires equally, they are both bonded together in the service panel and then a 'fat' bare tied to a healthy ground rod or other Earth ground.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Well, technically, there is absolute, because when you whittle it down, it's all about joules. A plate of charge, like in a capacitor, when you do work (expend energy) to push electrons to one side, 1J per 1C of electrons = 1v. In this example the cap holds potential energy in the electrons of 1J (1C x 1v). v=J/C. So technically there is absolute voltage, and you can read this using a V meter that has infinite ohms when you attach the probes. You only get amps when the differential is connected (ckt completed) so the electrons that have potential energy can rush-a-homa.
View Quote

There is no such thing as absolute voltage measured at a single point. That defies the very definition of voltage, which is the potential energy created when you move a unit of charge (free electrons) a given distance.  

Distance > 2 points.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grounds are just for lightning protection? Interesting...

#cometoGDlearn
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Peak
Peak to peak
Average
RMS

all the things...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peak
Peak to peak
Average
RMS

all the things...

Whoa! That’s sounds sciency!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Prem wiring has 100% nothing to do with lightning. NFPA has a separate codebook for lighting arrest systems.
A green insulated wire serves same purpose as the bare wire, fault clearing, aka "EGC". Insulated EGC's are insulated only when called for as described by the NEC codebook, like to pools/spas, in conduit as individual wires, etc.

A lightning strike to your house will use bare and N wires equally, they are both bonded together in the service panel and then a 'fat' bare tied to a healthy ground rod or other Earth ground.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fault clearing? That’s why I have a lawyer. It’s the electricians fault for sure!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You serious Clark?

Power companies do not form electrons. Do you seriously think that they are creating matter?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

Power companies do not form electrons. Do you seriously think that they are creating matter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

The very definition of a generator means it generates electrons. It adds electrons to the wire.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:51:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn
View Quote

Also completely wrong, but whatever.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

Of course not. They just move electrons from one phase to another phase to produce the proper voltage differentials between the phases. (Or source and sink them from the neutral connection if the 3 phase generator has a neutral connection)
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn

Science has no place here. Just go with the flow.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I think what he is trying to ask is if the the two legs that are out of phase with one another cancel out because they share a common neutral.
View Quote

The poles in a panel are not out-of-phase, it's all the same phase, but while one side goes + the other side goes -

There's only 1ph in a resi single family dwelling. The CT in a xfrmer does not magically create a new phase.

In a 2ckt MWBC with one shared N wire, when both loads are 'on' at the same time and balanced, there's no current in the N wire. There is no cancelling of anything. Two 120v loads are in series at that point, hence it becomes a 240v load. There are cautions to be had with a MWBC. You can illustrate the amps of each 120v load in a MWBC (hot leg to N) and you'll see two current paths, one into the N wire and one out of the N wire, which then appears they cancel, which of course they do when the loads are equal, aka "balanced MWBC". Unbalanced load means some amps will still be on the N, but the N amps will never exceed a single load when loads are functioning normally.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The very definition of a generator means it generates electrons. It adds electrons to the wire.
View Quote

No. It generates voltage (potential difference) through the input of a different type of work (mechanical rotational).

The existing electrons then flow through the wires in an attempt to neutralize the generated potential difference, doing work in the process.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

There is no such thing as absolute voltage measured at a single point. That defies the very definition of voltage, which is the potential energy created when you move a unit of charge (free electrons) a given distance.  

Distance > 2 points.

View Quote

I don't need a differential to say what the volts are on a charged plate. I only need to know the joules and amount of charge. V=J/C
Choosing a point to be the differential point is arbitrary. I have one plate that is 100v and then I arbitrarily choose another plate of 40v, the diff is 60v, but I don't need to choose an arbitrary point of reference to know what my initial plate voltage is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Adding electrons must be a Elon Musk thing, he figured it out.
What if too many electrons are added, it pops like a cork?

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The poles in a panel are not out-of-phase, it's all the same phase, but while one side goes + the other side goes -

There's only 1ph in a resi single family dwelling. The CT in a xfrmer does not magically create a new phase.

In a 2ckt MWBC with one shared N wire, when both loads are 'on' at the same time and balanced, there's no current in the N wire. There is no cancelling of anything. Two 120v loads are in series at that point, hence it becomes a 240v load. There are cautions to be had with a MWBC. You can illustrate the amps of each 120v load in a MWBC (hot leg to N) and you'll see two current paths, one into the N wire and one out of the N wire, which then appears they cancel, which of course they do when the loads are equal, aka "balanced MWBC". Unbalanced load means some amps will still be on the N, but the N amps will never exceed a single load when loads are functioning normally.
View Quote

Pretty sure that is the answer OP is looking for - my question would be: what does the waveform of one leg look like on an oscilloscope?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn

I think frayedknot was saying the same thing as you when used "interesting..."
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Of course not. They just move electrons from one phase to another phase to produce the proper voltage differentials between the phases. (Or source and sink them from the neutral connection if the 3 phase generator has a neutral connection)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

Oh this makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Pretty sure that is the answer OP is looking for - my question would be: what does the waveform of one leg look like on an oscilloscope?
View Quote

The waveform of what? Volts?
Looks 100% normal. Two loads (two 120v loads in series, balanced load or not) forms a CT with the ends hanging across the 240v in the panel. The CT is the N wire, aka zero volts or "grounded" line.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't need a differential to say what the volts are on a charged plate. I only need to know the joules and amount of charge. V=J/C
Choosing a point to be the differential point is arbitrary. I have one plate that is 100v and then I arbitrarily choose another plate of 40v, the diff is 60v, but I don't need to choose an arbitrary point of reference to know what my initial plate voltage is.
View Quote

I cannot help you if you fundamentally don't understand the definition of voltage.

A Joule is a unit of work.

Work = force * distance, hence again, 2 points.

Voltage = force * distance per charge.

How much work did I store up by moving a charge from point A to point B.

Assuming you could manipulate individual electrons with your bare hands, to generate a voltage, you would have to pick up a free electron, and move it from one piece of material to another, sufficiently isolated from the first such that it couldn't return.

The voltage would then be developed between the two objects between which you transferred the electron.

Source: Master's Degree in Electromagnetics and employed in the power industry for 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda. Wire or equipment (whatever the limiting element is) becomes a fused disconnect. And you let the smoke out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif...

Hey this is science. I’ll bet you don’t wear a mask.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:16:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn

Do not sully my name!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

In homes (US, maybe elsewhere?) power is supplied by a center-tapped transformer on the pole, which comes into the house.

The center tap is "neutral", the other two legs are L1 and L2. Between L1 and Neutral and L2 and Neutral are 120V of potential difference. Between L1 and L2 there is 240V of potential difference, because their AC sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase from each other. (The sine wave of one is at absolute positive when the sine wave of the other is absolute negative)

Neutral is bonded to ground at the entrance... if you measure from neutral to ground you should read 0V

In commercial or 3-phase applications, 3 phases are supplied that are actually 120degrees out of phase from each other. (Generators make power by making 360 degree rotations..e.g. a full rotation.) In these installations each phase to neutral is 120V of potential difference... but between any leg, is only about 208V, since they are only 120degrees out of phase.

Voltage is by-definition the potential difference between two points... you have to accept that with voltage you are always measuring the DELTA between two points.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do not sully my name!
View Quote

Sorry. The stupid in this thread temporarily broke my sarcasm meter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#cometoGDlearn

And apparently they can be pretty complex to setup right ... something about where you put in the ground rods, etc. Of all the places to run into that, I learned it when reading about how to get 60hz mains hum out of audio recording/playback/equipment.

ETA; Here, if you want to go down the rabbit hole:

http://web.mit.edu/jhawk/tmp/p/EST016_Ground_Loops_handout.pdf

1.2 - PROTECTION FROM LIGHTNING

An EARTH ground is one actually connected to the earth and is necessary for LIGHTNING protection. Overhead power lines are frequent targets of lightning. Before modern standards such as the Code existed, power lines effectively directed lightning strikes into buildings, starting fires and killing people. Therefore, virtually all modern electric power is distributed over lines that have one conductor connected to earth ground periodically along its length. These and the earth ground at the service entry panel serve as easy, low-impedance paths to discharge lightning strikes before they can enter the building. Telephone, CATV, and satellite TV cables are also required to “arrest” lightning energy before it enters a building. Another benefit of the safety ground to earth ground connection is that, during an equipment fault event, only a few volts will be present on the exposed parts of the faulty device with respect to other earth-grounded objects. Since soil has resistance just like any other conductor, earth ground connections are not at zero volts, with respect to each other or any other mystical or “absolute” reference point. Code allows the resistance to earth (measured with special techniques) of a residential ground rod to be as high as 25 Ù. It is far too high to trip the circuit breaker under fault conditions in the dangerous hookup shown on the next page (claimed to be a “quieter” equipment ground). The soil resistance between separate ground rods can also allow thousands of volts to develop between them if lightning strike current should actually flow in one of them. This can seriously damage a computer modem, for example, if it “straddles” a computer (grounded via its power cord to the utility ground rod) and a telephone line protected via a separate ground rod. [3] For this reason, other protective ground connections (telephone, CATV, etc.) should be made to the same rod used for utility power, if at all possible. If multiple ground rods are used, Code requires that they all must be bonded to the main utility power grounding electrode. [4]

From above PDF link.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like this. This is one leg measured against the center tap....

Here are both legs measured against the center tap. Note they are of different polarization (180 degrees out of phase with relation to neutral)

ETA, here is what both legs would look like together leg to leg, no neutral (looks same as one leg to neutral) only difference would be a higher amplitude than just on leg to neutral, because the voltage is double.....

ETA again, finally got the pics right, lol
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:38:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You serious Clark?

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/bubbles_zps5bf5952f_GIF-110.gif...

This is science? lol...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/DM8vncq/20201218-165623.jpg

Here are both legs measured against the center tap. Note they are of different polarization (180 degrees out of phase with relation to neutral)

https://i.ibb.co/Jd04y8W/20210227-111949.jpg
View Quote

If you want to trip your breaker real fast, take that single ended probe and connect the grounded lead it to one of the legs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In homes (US, maybe elsewhere?) power is supplied by a center-tapped transformer on the pole, which comes into the house.

The center tap is "neutral", the other two legs are L1 and L2. Between L1 and Neutral and L2 and Neutral are 120V of potential difference. Between L1 and L2 there is 240V of potential difference, because their AC sine waves are 180 degrees out of phase from each other. (The sine wave of one is at absolute positive when the sine wave of the other is absolute negative)

Neutral is bonded to ground at the entrance... if you measure from neutral to ground you should read 0V

In commercial or 3-phase applications, 3 phases are supplied that are actually 120degrees out of phase from each other. (Generators make power by making 360 degree rotations..e.g. a full rotation.) In these installations each phase to neutral is 120V of potential difference... but between any leg, is only about 208V, since they are only 120degrees out of phase.

Voltage is by-definition the potential difference between two points... you have to accept that with voltage you are always measuring the DELTA between two points.
View Quote

Yeah, thanks - I looked it up to avoid more dickhead replies.  As usual, a simple picture makes it clear how the transformer splits the phase - a point that I believe most people who are not in the business get hung up on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And apparently they can be pretty complex to setup right ... something about where you put in the ground rods, etc. Of all the places to run into that, I learned it when reading about how to get 60hz mains hum out of audio recording/playback/equipment.
View Quote

Those hums are usually from "ground loops".

Grounds really do not protect against lighting in residences anyway. They are there so that electrical devices that have METAL exteriors or parts are protected. The metal exterior is electrically connected to earth ground... that way if the device ever fails in a way where line voltage is touches the metal case, someone won't get shocked. (because electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and will flow to ground directly rather than flow through the person).

My great-grandfather passed down his tools (he was a carpenter), in there was a drill with a METAL exterior case, but only has a plug with 2 prongs (neutral and hot)... with no ground, if the hot wire ever touched the metal case, the user would get shocked... the extra ground wire protects against this.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

the reason USA residential power is called "split-phase" is because at the pole transformer the single phase primary is wound against a center-tapped secondary.  the center tap is the neutral on your service drop, and the ends of the secondary are 180 degrees out of phase with one another.  thus the two legs in the panel are 180 degrees out of phase with one other, with one primary advantage being that twice the power can be delivered with only a 50% increase in wiring cost.  regardless of whether you term it a pole, a leg, or a phase, the fact that the two are 180 degrees out of phase means that the current carried by the neutral is only the difference (imbalance) of the two.  

if the L1 current = L2 current, the neutral current is 0.
if the L2 current = 0, the neutral current is equal to L1 current.
and so on.  
in no case does the neutral current exceed the L1 or the L2 current.
again, this is a primary advantage of split phase power -- more power delivered with less copper/aluminum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#43]
The answer is simply the definition.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If you want to trip your breaker real fast, take that single ended probe and connect the grounded lead it to one of the legs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to plug your grounded scope probe directly into the wall, yeah, you could easily blow it up. That's why you use an isolation transformer. This is a 24/12/24 volt, center tapped transformer, IIRC
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

So this is why I failed electric motors. Cuz I still don't get this phase shit.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

the reason USA residential power is called "split-phase" is because at the pole transformer the single phase primary is wound against a center-tapped secondary.  the center tap is the neutral on your service drop, and the ends of the secondary are 180 degrees out of phase with one another.  thus the two legs in the panel are 180 degrees out of phase with one other, with one primary advantage being that twice the power can be delivered with only a 50% increase in wiring cost.  regardless of whether you term it a pole, a leg, or a phase, the fact that the two are 180 degrees out of phase means that the current carried by the neutral is only the difference (imbalance) of the two.  

and so on.  
again, this is a primary advantage of split phase power -- more power delivered with less copper/aluminum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and so on.  

ar-jedi is correct. with AC, by definition if "one side goes + the other side goes -" means they are out of phase. The picture someone posted above of the o-scope shows this perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:54:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

ETA, here is what both legs look like together leg to leg, no neutral (looks same as one leg to neutral) only difference would be a higher amplitude than just on leg to neutral, because the voltage is double.....

View Quote

Wow! Nerd went and confirmed this whole AC phenomenon. Bravo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:54:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So this is why I failed electric motors. Cuz I still don't get this phase shit.
View Quote

Dude, I ain't gonna lie... I'm digging back into 20 years of cob-webs to remember this from college... I've been working on DC and digital stuff so long I can barely remember!
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:55:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

ETA, here is what both legs look like together leg to leg, no neutral (looks same as one leg to neutral) only difference would be a higher amplitude than just on leg to neutral, because the voltage is double.....

View Quote

Lol.  I wasn't going to say anything...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 11:00:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Those hums are usually from "ground loops".

Grounds really do not protect against lighting in residences anyway. They are there so that electrical devices that have METAL exteriors or parts are protected. The metal exterior is electrically connected to earth ground... that way if the device ever fails in a way where line voltage is touches the metal case, someone won't get shocked. (because electricity always takes the path of least resistance, and will flow to ground directly rather than flow through the person).

My great-grandfather passed down his tools (he was a carpenter), in there was a drill with a METAL exterior case, but only has a plug with 2 prongs (neutral and hot)... with no ground, if the hot wire ever touched the metal case, the user would get shocked... the extra ground wire protects against this.
View Quote

Not correct. The purpose of the green wire is to provide an uninterrupted pathway back to the low side of the transformer. 120 or 240 boots divided by an ohm or less equals plenty of current to trip the breaker.

The ground wire exists to ensure that there is a low enough resistance between the source and the load to trip the breaker and clear the fault.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/bregnd.html
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top