Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/12/2018 11:45:52 PM EDT
So my new double wall oven's power lead does not reach my junction box that the old one reached. My thoughts are I can install a new junction box and splice with metal conduit and same gauge wire to the old junction box?

The oven:
GE Double Wall Oven

Attachment Attached File

EDIT:
Im thinking now maybe the top tow capped blue boxes might have 220 wire, that just needs to be connected at the panel.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you replace the oven wiring with longer wires?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I removed the rear panel to learn the power leads fo deep into the guts. They don't appear to be easily replaceable. At all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:01:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

edit: just make sure you size your conduit right.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Splice the cord
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Is this your situation: cord or flex/wire of new oven is to short to reach the existing box with the 240 ckt in it? Just clarifying that I understand your OP.

Can you post a few photos as well?...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you starving until it is operational?

Can we send emergency Meals on Wheels?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I would not splice anything. Do it right. Longer appliance cord or new line to the box.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
install a 220 recep in the wall and use an appliance cord, never worry about wire nuts again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I removed the rear panel to learn the power leads fo deep into the guts. They don't appear to be easily replaceable. At all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe not easy, but probably the best option.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is this your situation: cord or flex/wire of new oven is to short to reach the existing box with the 240 ckt in it? Just clarifying that I understand your OP.

View Quote
Yes this exactly. The box is in the rear of a drawer below the oven cavity. The new oven has the power line exiting the oven much higher than the old one. The cavity actually has 2 covered blue junction boxes but it doesn't seem they're wired in. I tested one with no voltage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#11]
What model oven?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:25:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe not easy, but probably the best option.
View Quote
I was thinking that, but they're literally terminate somewhere way I side. I'd have to disassemble a lot of this brand new oven.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Is there a reason not to just use a 240v extension cord?

If it's a dumb idea feel free to call me an idiot, I dont mess with anything that isnt 110
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If it's a dumb idea feel free to call me an idiot, I dont mess with anything that isnt 110
View Quote
Yeah I really don't know. But there is no terminal on the cable. It's meant to terminate in a junction box. Not the typical 4 prong 220 cable you'd attach to a dryer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:35:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah I really don't know. But there is no terminal on the cable. It's meant to terminate in a junction box. Not the typical 4 prong 220 cable you'd attach to a dryer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh, gotcha
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Is the existing junction box directly below where you need the new box to go?  Have any pictures?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Digging into the oven to install a longer cord is easier than cutting out drywall and installing a junction box and conduit.  I would go that route.

If that's absolutely out of the question I would make my own extension cord with insulated m/f crimp terminals and heat shrink.  And hope the home inspection doesn't catch it at sell time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I had to do this when I remodeled my kitchen, what I did is run the main wire into a new junction box and then jumped that to a new plug for the range, it was under the supervision of an electrician and approved by the county inspector, did that over 12 years ago and have never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the existing junction box directly below where you need the new box to go?  Have any pictures?
View Quote
It's about 1 foot below where I need it. Sorry no pics right now.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yo, electric  oven wires be big.  Allows lots of those amps to get through it safely.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:44:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Digging into the oven to install a longer cord is easier than cutting out drywall and installing a junction box and conduit.  I would go that route.

If that's absolutely out of the question I would make my own extension cord with m/f crimp terminals and heat shrink.  And hope the home inspection doesn't catch it at sell time.
View Quote
I have room to install the metal junction box onto the outside of the drywall. Is that against code? That is how the current box is installed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:45:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's about 1 foot below where I need it. Sorry no pics right now.
View Quote
If you are only dealing with a foot or so, get a new cord and dig in and put it on the new range or have an electrician make a short extension cord for you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have room to install the metal junction box onto the outside of the drywall. Is that against code? That is how the current box is installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's absolutely out of the question I would make my own extension cord with m/f crimp terminals and heat shrink.  And hope the home inspection doesn't catch it at sell time.
Oh thats pretty easy then.   I would just go that route and pretend it was like that when you bought it if you get questioned.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
edit: wrong model https://www.manualslib.com/manual/548897/Ge-Jk1000dfbb.html?page=6#manual

Ovens come equipped with a 40" long conduit. If a longer conduit is desired, there may be one available for
your model. To check availability or order parts, call 1.800.GE.CARES.
View Quote

Another alternative is to add a new junction box and run new wire behind wall to old box. All splices should be in a junction box, up to your local code.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you are only dealing with a foot or so, get a new cord and dig in and put it on the new range or have an electrician make a short extension cord for you.
View Quote
Can I not make my own 'extension' cord by soldering onto the existing wire? I'd really rather not completely disassemble the oven - and this seems like a rather crazy solution.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:54:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can I not make my own 'extension' cord by soldering onto the existing wire? I'd really rather not completely disassemble the oven - and this seems like a rather crazy solution.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you want to burn down your house? 'Cause this is how you burn down your house. Do what you said in OP, add in new box, run correct gauge wire to old box, done.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
As long as you understand the safety factors involved, there is no reason you can get a properly sized extension cord and use it to solve your situation, I would do about a foot and a half in length with the proper plugs and wiring and put a couple of wraps of HD tape around the joint and go on with your life.  They are not hard to make, like I said, just make sure and use the properly rated wire and plugs and it will work just fine.

By the way, what model range did you buy, I have really never seen one you have to dismantle to put a cord on it?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just put a new box above the one you have transfer the oulet in the bottom box to the top and splice the wires in the old box running the correct size wire to the new box.

You need to make the splice in a junction box. Dont mess with the cord. You will need armored wire if running on the surface.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just put a new box above the one you have transfer the oulet in the bottom box to the top and splice the wires in the old box running the correct size wire to the new box.

You need to make the splice in a junction box. Dont mess with the cord. You will need armored wire if running on the surface.
View Quote
This is easy enough for me. Is attaching a metal junction box to drywall a garden variety move?
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is easy enough for me. Is attaching a metal junction box to drywall a garden variety move?
View Quote
Uh, you screw it to a stud.

Your problem will be finding the correct sized armored wire in a cheap enough length. Probably need 10/3 depending on how it is wired. How is the wire get to the existing box now? From the wall? Or conduit?

Its not rocket science but you prob should have a bit more knowledge before taking this on.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#32]
I am not an electrician and it is late but usually you dont run romex in conduit and you definitely  dont expose it.

Since I imagine behind your stove is a dry location i believe you could run a short section of romex in your conduit. Or just get thhn and don't worry about it.

Sparkys will be along to check my work i hope.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:39:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Home Depot as well as Lowe's sell 10 6/3 range cords, they are about $38.00 a piece, if you are one foot short on a range with a 4 foot cord, you can get 4 foot, 5 foot, 6 foot or 10 foot cords for them.

I would still like to see the back of the range at your connections if possible.  Or at least know the brand and model.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:47:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Uh, you screw it to a stud.

Your problem will be finding the correct sized armored wire in a cheap enough length. Probably need 10/3 depending on how it is wired. How is the wire get to the existing box now? From the wall? Or conduit?

Its not rocket science but you prob should have a bit more knowledge before taking this on.
View Quote
The wire appears to come from a hole in the drywall into the externally mounted box, I could be wrong as I haven't removed the junction box.. I'll most likely cannibalize the the armored wire from the previous oven.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Home Depot as well as Lowe's sell 10 6/3 range cords, they are about $38.00 a piece, if you are one foot short on a range with a 4 foot cord, you can get 4 foot, 5 foot, 6 foot or 10 foot cords for them.

I would still like to see the back of the range at your connections if possible.  Or at least know the brand and model.
View Quote
Here is the oven:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/GE-Self-Cleaning-True-Convection-Double-Electric-Wall-Oven-Stainless-Steel-Common-27-Inch-Actual-26-75-in/50080730

When I pull the oven back out to wire it in I'll remove the back panel again and snap a pic. But the power lines dissappear into the interior without easy access that I could tell.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#36]
240, 241... Whatever it takes
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am not an electrician and it is late but usually you dont run romex in conduit and you definitely  dont expose it.

Since I imagine behind your stove is a dry location i believe you could run a short section of romex in your conduit. Or just get thhn and don't worry about it.

Sparkys will be along to check my work i hope.
View Quote
You can run NM exposed, just not where it would be exposed to physical damage.

Some places it's done all the time, other places you just don't see it at all.  You can run it in conduit but you don't see that much at all since it's designed to be run exposed.

Sicne MC is now a thing you're seeing that used more and more instead or NM for these applications.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 1:59:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Install new jbox.  Run MC cable from old jbox to new jbox.  Wire in new stove to new j box.

Do not use an extension cord.  Some inspectors allow NM exposed inside of cabinets, MC is the best way though
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#39]
This is not a plug in range system, it is designed to be hardwired into the junction box and based on the owners manual has a 10 foot conduit hook up included with the range, it is not designed to be a plug in.  If you are uncomfortable with this type of system, you are going to be ahead of the game by calling an electrician..

I am really good and home remodeling, but if you spent that much on this range system, spend another couple of hundred and have an electrician come out and hook it up properly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 8:55:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is not a plug in range system, it is designed to be hardwired into the junction box and based on the owners manual has a 10 foot conduit hook up included with the range, it is not designed to be a plug in.  If you are uncomfortable with this type of system, you are going to be ahead of the game by calling an electrician..

I am really good and home remodeling, but if you spent that much on this range system, spend another couple of hundred and have an electrician come out and hook it up properly.
View Quote
If it actually came with a 10' conduit hook-up it would be installed right now. I feel very comfortable installing a junction box and splicing some wire-nuts inside of them; I just want to make sure its kosher and safe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Splice the cord
View Quote
220/240 is a little different than a car stereo. Your splice could be interpreted as a little twist and some duct tape by the "craftsman" here. That could be a disaster.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes this exactly. The box is in the rear of a drawer below the oven cavity. The new oven has the power line exiting the oven much higher than the old one. The cavity actually has 2 covered blue junction boxes but it doesn't seem they're wired in. I tested one with no voltage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm... are either of the larger wire? Typically this would be #6 aluminum, either 3/conductor or 4/conductor depending on age of house.

If already wired but not terminated on a breaker it may be an easy (enough) job to get this other cable connected and energized.

It's tough to help from this side of my phone though...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#43]
This will be safe....

Pull a new cable to the oven. Don’t risk your house over 100.00 bucks worth of wire.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Use metal coat hangars and wire nut them together maintaining 87mm of air gap and you'll be good to go

Think telephone pole looking wires...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Changing the existing flex/wire to a longer length is much more desirable (to me) than adding a splice box inline with the existing flex. You did say that getting to the connection point on the oven isn't easy or possible.

Is the flex metallic? I assume it is 1/2" steel/aluminum flex...
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, use one of these. It can mount to a single-gang box or 2-gang. Just have to rotate it 180...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
install a 220 recep in the wall and use an appliance cord, never worry about wire nuts again.
View Quote
^ this.  About $20 on Ebay.  
Coiling it a bit will make installation much easier.  Make certain to keep the cord away from potentially hot surfaces.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#48]
I would go b to home depot and buy 2 feet of 40 amp rated cord and the correct male/female plugs.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Call a couple appliance repair places and electricians and ask how much to put a longer cord or have them hook it up.  Then you will know if the hassle is worth the effort.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
This for sure.  I would NOT direct wire an oven.  Many use aluminium wire and I wouldn't want to bend that very many times.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top